Author Topic: Coming Soon  (Read 207284 times)

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
Re: Coming Soon
« Reply #520 on: July 05, 2015, 03:23:34 PM »

If the true origin of power is actually inside us and not something externally powering us, then there's no way to steal that potential from us, except by taking it from all of us individually.  Like, say, by enslaving an entire race of beings and using their life force to power your warp drives.  We can't be cheated of it, or forced to give it away.

This is why Kirby's Anti-Life Equation in his Fourth World was such a brilliant rational for Darkseid's attack of Earth.  As a (New) God, Darkseid's ambition wasn't to stop Superman or Green Lantern and make America his slave -- it was to totally subsume all free will in every possible existence within the multi-verse -- to make the universe Darkseid.  He just thought (correctly*) that he could find a mind on Earth that was capable of comprehending the Anti-Life equation -- it was the only reason he cared about Earth at all.

*"Billion-Dollar" Bates.  A flunky accidentally shot him before they could get the Equation
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #521 on: July 05, 2015, 05:01:48 PM »
As an aside, do I remember correctly that the Rikti had fought off the Battalion?  They had to change their whole DNA matrix in order to be successful, but at least one race of humans had managed it.  I'm guessing they didn't actually defeat the Battalion, but essentially made themselves psychic skunks and too much of a  bother to destroy.

They didn't fight off the Battalion. The Battalion didn't care about them because they destroyed all magic in their world (I'm guessing that includes their Source). They did not have "Incarnate Potential" anymore, and that is literally all that the Battalion cares about (subjugating and stealing other planets' Sources).
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #522 on: July 05, 2015, 06:34:47 PM »
As an aside, do I remember correctly that the Rikti had fought off the Battalion?  They had to change their whole DNA matrix in order to be successful, but at least one race of humans had managed it.  I'm guessing they didn't actually defeat the Battalion, but essentially made themselves psychic skunks and too much of a  bother to destroy.

The Battalion of the Rikti's dimension was much weaker than the Battalion in our dimension. This of course does raise problems if you believe that a Well for a planet is interdimensional, which is sort of implied in some of the AMA answers (but it's not entirely clear if that's the case). http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted#80

Also, if you read the original story bible, the background it has on the Rikti seems to fit with what was seen in the Lore AMAs, including the explanation of how / why they modified their DNA (it has nothing to do with their battalion): http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Story_Bible
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #523 on: July 05, 2015, 06:59:07 PM »
Also, if you read the original story bible, the background it has on the Rikti seems to fit with what was seen in the Lore AMAs, including the explanation of how / why they modified their DNA (it has nothing to do with their battalion): http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Story_Bible

Of course it didn't. The Battalion hadn't been thought of at the time the Rikti back story was originally written.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #524 on: July 05, 2015, 08:22:17 PM »
Of course it didn't. The Battalion hadn't been thought of at the time the Rikti back story was originally written.

The genesis of the Battalion is probably a lot older than most people think.  The Rikti backstory probably predates the Battalion (my memory is a bit hazy there) but if I recall correctly its a lot older than the Incarnate storyline itself.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #525 on: July 05, 2015, 09:22:18 PM »
The genesis of the Battalion is probably a lot older than most people think.  The Rikti backstory probably predates the Battalion (my memory is a bit hazy there) but if I recall correctly its a lot older than the Incarnate storyline itself.

I know. IIRC, a few hints about them were dropped way before Incarnates became a thing.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #526 on: July 06, 2015, 01:20:57 AM »
I cannot turn off the professional critic anymore.

I can well imagine ...
VV (reading "Hamlet"):  Spakespeare you hack.  You kill off all the main characters in the last act.
 ;) :) :D

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #527 on: July 06, 2015, 02:02:03 AM »
I can well imagine ...
VV (reading "Hamlet"):  Spakespeare you hack.  You kill off all the main characters in the last act.
 ;) :) :D

GRRM: Amateur.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #528 on: July 06, 2015, 03:58:54 AM »

Don't worry, they'll all be back in the next book. Ned's reanimated head and Jaime's hand will be attached to a broom handle.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #529 on: July 07, 2015, 04:57:07 PM »

Suffice to say I'm trying to avoid the GRRM approach to killing characters in my books, although I will admit that some main characters in book one and two of my in-progress series can and have died... But certainly not anywhere near as many as that wedding, sheesh...

(Confession; I have neither read nor watched Game of Thrones; South Park ruined it and made me not want to watch/read it with their Black Friday trilogy, but regardless I've heard enough about it to know that GRRM has no qualms about killing anyone in his books......)

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #530 on: July 07, 2015, 11:48:57 PM »
Only thing South Park ever ruined for me was South Park.

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #531 on: July 08, 2015, 12:13:29 AM »
Meh. I've never been able to read or watch Game of Thrones, cuz I had met GRRM before he wrote it. I'll leave it at that. (grin)

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #532 on: July 08, 2015, 06:48:37 PM »
For weeks, I had thought Game of Thrones was just a renamed version of musical chairs...
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Rangle M. Down

• Minion
« Reply #533 on: July 08, 2015, 11:11:47 PM »
While I very much appreciate the work that's gone in behind ParagonChat, which I can only presume has been a ton of work, I can honestly admit that it's not my cup of tea. I think it's awesome for a lot of folks who miss the game as much as I do, but I look forward to getting a chance to fully play the game (missions, etc) sometime down the line.

As I originally stated when I joined CoHTitan, I'll wander back occasionally to see what progress has been made. To those that worked on this, and/or are working on getting the game back (or code rewrites etc), I'm still rooting for you. Thanks for all the effort that's going on.

Heliphyneau

• Underling
« Reply #534 on: July 08, 2015, 11:31:11 PM »
While I very much appreciate the work that's gone in behind ParagonChat, which I can only presume has been a ton of work, I can honestly admit that it's not my cup of tea. I think it's awesome for a lot of folks who miss the game as much as I do, but I look forward to getting a chance to fully play the game (missions, etc) sometime down the line.

As I originally stated when I joined CoHTitan, I'll wander back occasionally to see what progress has been made. To those that worked on this, and/or are working on getting the game back (or code rewrites etc), I'm still rooting for you. Thanks for all the effort that's going on.

In some ways, being in Paragon Chat makes me miss the game MORE, since I can run around as my character(s) but can't pummel anything.   :(  That said, it is super awesome seeing the zones again, and interacting with CoH folks is fantastic!  I am sure this would eat all my free time if I were more of a RPer.  I'll definitely be poking my head into Paragon some more to say howdy.

Maybe I'll stroll out to The Chantry . . .

*falls forever*

SujaAndersen

• Underling
« Reply #535 on: July 09, 2015, 07:22:25 PM »
Please but at least some form of insect wings on the list!  I have two "bug" characters and I had to use mechanical/organic wings.  Thank you!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #536 on: July 09, 2015, 07:24:28 PM »
Locking topic since it's no longer "coming soon" but "released already"!
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal