Paragon Chat > General

Technical side discussion

(1/105) > >>

Prism Almidu:
Well, as long as we're posting speculation, this quote by Leandro "You can make the COH client connect directly to a dbserver, skipping the authserver entirely, and have full functionality." on this reddit page: https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/comments/39fpnj/coh_server_emulator_project/ makes me think of combat functionality in a single player mode, assuming that the dbserver does what I think it does, i.e., holds data related to power numbers, enemy spawn placement, NPC health, and such. I could be completely wrong, I'm just speculating here :P

Codewalker:
The dbserver does none of that. Its most important function is to handle loading and saving characters from a database, presenting them to the client to show the character list at login, and transferring them between maps. Powers, spawn points, etc. in COH are not part of the database.

The dbserver would also normally handle cross-map chat, but in this project that functionality is not needed for what are hopefully obvious reasons.

Prism Almidu:
I see. My mistake, then. What DOES handle the number side of things, then, if you don't mind my asking? Also, I had a question about the way enemy spawns worked. In Icon, I can open the dev/debug mode and see all the markers, and see what I think are enemy spawn points marked as E1, E2, etc. However, and it may just be poor memory on my part, but I don't recall street spawns being in clumps of 8 or so. Are the E# markers just potential spawns, and the game would randomly pick which ones to use in any given spawn group?

Codewalker:
That's all part of the mapserver, which is responsible for player input, chat, movement, physics, AI, character stats, powers, emotes, animation, network communication, combat mechanics, missions, story arcs, rewards tables, NPC pathing, auctions, inventory management, the kitchen sink, and probably about 200 more things that I'm forgetting to mention.

The powers data itself is in structured binary files, the format of which has been long understood and are what powers things like City of Data and Mids.

Prism Almidu:
Interesting, quite interesting. Not a programmer, simply very curious about all sorts of things. Though I did post an additional question question as an edit before seeing your response, sorry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version