Author Topic: Holy sh*t moment  (Read 33408 times)

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
Re: Holy sh*t moment
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2016, 03:53:12 AM »
I remember getting confused in the game.  There was this one time where my team disappearred and I was suddently surrounded by enemies.  That was scary.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2016, 10:42:06 AM »
I remember getting confused in the game.  There was this one time where my team disappearred and I was suddently surrounded by enemies.  That was scary.

Drugs r bad, m'kay!!

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2016, 05:35:24 AM »
Every ITF, that guy would stubble backwards, but never fall down the stairs.
The first time I saw that, I actually thought he might.

Also the FrostFire cut scene where his throws fire at his henceman, calls him an idiot.
Good stuff, the first couple dozen times you see there.

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2016, 06:18:21 PM »
I also remember being about level 14 or so, the very first time, and having to try to contact Julius the Troll on that bridge in the hollows, and seeing a pair of steampunk-looking soldiers run towards and one-shot me. I kind of went "ok, what was that?" then popped my only wakey when it was clear, started to click on the contact again and saw the same mobs coming again. Before I could react I got one-shotted again. That was my first experience with griefers. Apparently some 40-something had a nemesis mission in the Hollows, and had an ambush outside the door, and decided to drag the ambush back and forth across the bridge to one-shot all the level lowbie folks there. I was incredible ticked, since this was maybe I4 or so when debt was huge (before they halved it multiple times). My tank had never been one-shotted to that point (SS/Invuln before it was nerfed even the first time), so I was pretty angry having it happen twice within 5 minutes. Also, some nearby level 50 tried to help and I refused, because I wasn't sure whether or not he was actually the griefer. Oh, well.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2016, 11:58:34 PM »
Something like that griefing happened to me in the Hollows, but closer to the atlas gate.  I was probably in the level 20's and it was a level 38.  I thought that it didn't look so tough.  Somebody yelled to stop attacking it.  I did, face-down.  I think it might have been a case of scrapper-lock.  After using up all my wakies and resurrection powers, I went to the hospital, came back and it was gone.  This was when death-debt wasn't a big deal though.

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2016, 03:30:49 AM »
My favorite was when I used knockout blow on Desdemona, and put half of her torso into the ceiling.

The most scary was doing a mayhem mission on my plant/fire permadom. I swear, I had like, fifty vines out at once at one point.

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2016, 11:20:11 PM »
I remember when I first started playing COH back when I was a freshman or sophomore in high school, and every day was just one big 'holy sh*t' moment. The game just seemed so HUGE to me, and never-ending. I felt like I knew nothing about anything haha.

And back when the game first started, it took everyone soooooo much longer to level. Getting a travel power at level 14 was, like, a huge accomplishment lol. I think the holy sh*t moments I felt later on in the more recent updates just came from making a character I was really proud of, or during a really successful RP night w/ my supergroup.

Good memories. Good times. DEAR GOD SOMEONE GIVE US THIS GAME BACK.
Viva la Virtue!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2016, 02:08:56 PM »
When I fended off some malta ambushes with only 1/5th of my health left single handed.  I was playing a storm summoner and it was during a Lord Recluse Strike Force(I think the difficulty was +2 or +3).

The team engaged the Archvillain Slinger and rather than ever shooting the archvillain, I kept throwing down crowd control onto the ramp leading up to the team.  Freezing Rain to stop them in their tracks, and tornado's to disrupt their movement back towards the ramps.  I shot them with ST attacks as much as I could afford to with my endurance, I never got hit by the malta CC, I was very lucky as I had low health the entire fight and nothing got a hit in.  Hurricane was used to shove anything coming at me back onto the floor below.

I miss moments like that.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Inc42

• Boss
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2016, 08:47:36 PM »

During a Lord Recluse SF right after my main group's heroes started going vigilante to collect badges from both sides, me on my stone tank that had a full purple IO build centered around survival and taunting as often as possible, getting confused, and taunting my ENTIRE team (who were not confused so could not attack me).

We team wiped because I was laughing so hard I could no longer see the screen as soon as I realized what had happened.

Balince

• Minion
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2016, 09:01:37 PM »
It may be lame but super jumping from rooftop to rooftop. I freakin loved super jump. When I solo'd my first AV was pretty epic as well.

KidKourage

• Minion
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2016, 10:29:50 PM »
I can remember a few:
1) Kid Kourage was a teenage Scrapper and fairly small, got on a team with missions against MALTA.  Those Titans, laying dead on their sides were still taller than me.  Got into one fight where there were so many of them, I had absolutely no idea what I was attacking, or even in what direction, for several minutes.
2) Shatter Rat was an Earth/FF Controller; she was way over the defensive soft cap with that combination and her pool picks.  Had someone ask me to try some Architect missions he'd designed.  The first couple were a little lame but the third was a tunnel crawl.  We hit a cavern with a Nosferatu-esque boss which triggered a mass of ambushes at the same time.  He bailed the mission, and quit the team, but I stuck it out.  With Rat I was so used to having to nibble away one target at a time while ducking/containing the rest of the mob.  About a half hour later, the jerk sends me a tell, laughing about how his deathtrap scenario was unbeatable right about the time I was finishing the last stack.  I offered to let him rejoin the team and see for himself.  He couldn't believe there was just a "punk Earth Troller" and her Stoney on the entire map.
3) The day I got an HPE-580 64-bit Windows 7 machine to replace the Dell 2300 Windows XP machine I had been playing on and it could actually handle the frame rate of a Rikki event.  The old machine had been so much like being in a strobe light, with just random images and power recharge times.  Sad to say, it did Rikki events best by just maximizing my zone map over the screen, so it never had to resolve the visuals for me.  Oh, and then being able to game using Ultra mode instead of the lowest settings.  So awesome!!!

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2016, 02:07:43 PM »
The first time I used Combat Jumping on a War Wall and went zooming away.

When I logged in during the Rularu invasion event. Kings Row full of giant, floating eyes with teeth...

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2016, 06:23:32 AM »
The thing that sticks out most in my head was when my Agent Smithers scrapper started to really come into his own. He was a Matrix knockoff. But I remember I'd just grabbed the flight pool because I planned on a lot o his skills being pool powers (he was getting superspeed, leap, and flight, since that fit the theme). Anyway, I remember being on a team fighting in an office, and some foe was raining fire down on us from in the air. Nobody had bothered to do anything about it yet, and I had Smithers leap off the balcony, and I activated hover right in front of the target. The two of them then began pummeling each other in mid-air and then I used Flurry to take him out. So.... epic. That was probably within my first month of playing and I felt like a god at that moment.

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2016, 05:04:35 PM »
The first time I saw that huge sinkhole in the Hollows.

I was immersed and that scared the hell out of me.

Level 6 elec elec blaster with only hover.

I. Loved. Being. A. Noob.

kaigame

• Underling
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2016, 09:49:03 AM »
Fighting the Clockwork King (Mission on Boomtown Map IIRC) with my Scrapper(Katana/Super Reflexes) and watching the Stone tank kiss the floor, I stepped in and managed to hold agro long enough to complete the mission.

I can't remember if the tank was rez'd or not, but it was awesome being able to hold my own against an AV with nothing but SR defence buffs :)

I tried the same thing with Infernal, had fire DoT with his attacks, one hit and 99% health gone, tick tick tick dead!

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2016, 06:15:44 AM »
Fighting the Clockwork King (Mission on Boomtown Map IIRC) with my Scrapper(Katana/Super Reflexes) and watching the Stone tank kiss the floor, I stepped in and managed to hold agro long enough to complete the mission.

I can't remember if the tank was rez'd or not, but it was awesome being able to hold my own against an AV with nothing but SR defence buffs :)

I tried the same thing with Infernal, had fire DoT with his attacks, one hit and 99% health gone, tick tick tick dead!

Yeah, I had that sort of thing happen a lot.  One mission it seemed that I was unstoppable, (not Ron Unstoppable), next mission I couldn't open the door without getting a faceplant.
Must be pixies.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2016, 11:21:53 PM »
I was reminiscing today and remembered a poignant moment in-game. I decided to avoid all baddies by taking a swim across Faultline to my new contact Doc Delilah. I was enjoying the peaceful open waters and appreciating the hue at sunset.
Then I was dead, 3 tentacles with mouths were looming over my corpse.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2016, 03:44:07 AM »
As a noob running around AP, that glorious moment when a generous Kin troller hits you with your first speed boost! YIPPEE!!! ;D

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2016, 08:18:22 AM »
My first, and most... delightful... moment was in Steel Canyon.

I had just found the Magic Shop (they weren't mapped, you just had to *know* back in the day. This was I-2 or I-3, I forget.

I'm with what will be 2 of my future SG mates, and fairly new-ish players on the same level as I (we were in a group called the URA at the time... never knew what it stood for, but joined because they were in it, and I was having a blast with them and a couple other players)

Anyway, I'm in there buying DO's for the FIRST TIME EVER when one of them immediately drops DEAD, while exclaiming what the ****!?!"

I keep buying DO's going "What?" then my friend goes from full health to nothing... going "What!?!?!"

I run out of the Magic Shop to see a group of plants and rocks and stuff roaming down the street in front of the walled courtyard in front of the shop. Never seen the like before, and had no clue what it was. It was like a parade of vegetation and nature!!!

I move forward a bit and click on one just long enough to see a purple named thing take me down as well!

(Obviously it was a Devouring Earth ambush for a full group of some high-level folks in Steel, but I didn't have a clue!)

We were all bemused as it ambled down the street.. None of us were highly irritated since the hospital was up the street, but it was a fantastic find, and amazing for us to see something like that at the level we were...

Damn... Good times.

Lyc~

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2016, 08:18:08 PM »
Just remembered another one, the time I joined an all-Defender STF.  We thought it would be fun to try and see how quickly we wiped.

So we start out, and as expected we were so buffed/debuffing that the mobs weren't that big a deal.

Then came Arbiter Sands... we expected to die quickly but instead it was like we blinked and he was dead.  We were in such shock that we nearly died from the mobs while we stood around asking where the AV was.

Next we took down Magus Mu'Drakhan just as quickly.  Regent Korol gave us some problems, but we lived.  Then Shadow Spider.  Viridian was just annoying because he ran so much.

By this time we understood the true power of Defender buffs.  We were almost equivalent to tankers in toughness and blasters in damage output, combined with multiple debuffs on the enemy.  It was glorious.

The rest of the TF was just as insane.  Black Scorpion was a tough nut to crack but Widow was the easiest one to defeat.  Mako was just a tougher viridian.

Recluse was the tough nut to crack... many attempts led to death until we took down the yellow and blue towers, then it was much easier.  We also had to use some of the geometry to our advantage to stick Recluse in place.

But we did it :)
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A