Author Topic: Where I have been for two years.  (Read 73982 times)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Where I have been for two years.
« on: June 22, 2015, 09:21:23 AM »
I know I haven't logged into Titan for a very long time (two years).

First, I got very, very, very sick with some form of influenza.  At that point I turned Hail Mary over to Rae and Quinch.  They had access to everything I had.

Then my mother died.

Then our housekeeper stole my ATM card and the PIN number that had come in the mail to our savings account and wiped it out.  The police investigated and she claimed Larry had given it to her because they were having an affair.  The Credit Union used this to decline to reimburse us.  Several lawyers told us the case was unwinnable, because the Credit Union (TCCU) would continue to appeal even if we won. wiping out any money we might get back.

Then Larry's mother developed a brain tumor, requiring him to spend months in Vegas to help his dad.  She was operated on and the operation was a success but....

....she developed Alzheimer's Dementia and went into a rapid decline and died this time last year.

I considered trying to revive Hail Mary, but decided not to given (a) the number of gaming studios that had closed and (b) that I had just started a writing project for Hyperion/Disney that was taking up all my "spare" time and became this:  http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Mercedes-Lackey/dp/1484707842

I've been part of the testing group for SOON(TM) recently, and I'm glad it is very very close to implementation.  I can't wait to get my old RP buddies together and see my toon herd again.

Sorry I haven't been around but I hope the above are reasons enough.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
Re: Where I have been for two years.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 12:09:14 PM »
VV, that's a heck of a rough time. Glad things are moving on (and it very much looks like they're moving up), glad you're still with us, and just plain glad to see you.

We all wish you well, and welcome back.
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 12:23:58 PM »
To go through hard times like that is not something to apologize for. I truly wish you the best and hope everything works out in your favor.

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 12:36:47 PM »
Real life always trumps life on-line. 

Take care and thank you.

Iron-Emerald

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 12:40:23 PM »
No need to apologise at all for going through such tough times. As a regular lurker delighted to see you back, seeing somebody like yourself fighting for the game 2 years ago was one of the things that most gave me hope that we'd all get to visit the City again sometime. :)

Surelle

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 12:41:24 PM »
Oh my gosh, Victoria!

Best of luck with your new book, it looks great!

I truly hope your "bad years" are behind you now, and am glad to see you peeping about the forums again.   :D

I just logged into Icon again last night, and it was exciting just to fly around Paragon again never mind know that we'll all be soon meeting up in-game beyond that!   8)

BraveStar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 01:20:33 PM »
What was with the last two years? It seems like everyone I know has had problems of some sort or another.

Your 2 years is certainly among the worst of those, VV. Here's to hoping the bad times are now behind you. *hugs*

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 02:43:07 PM »
VV, I think you need to visit this thread. There is still hope to bring back City of Heroes. http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9675.0.html     

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 03:41:02 PM »
Reading that thread will be a full time occupation for a few days, I think. But, worth it, I believe.  :P
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 03:45:29 PM »
I know I haven't logged into Titan for a very long time (two years).

First, I got very, very, very sick with some form of influenza.  At that point I turned Hail Mary over to Rae and Quinch.  They had access to everything I had.

Then my mother died.

Then our housekeeper stole my ATM card and the PIN number that had come in the mail to our savings account and wiped it out.  The police investigated and she claimed Larry had given it to her because they were having an affair.  The Credit Union used this to decline to reimburse us.  Several lawyers told us the case was unwinnable, because the Credit Union (TCCU) would continue to appeal even if we won. wiping out any money we might get back.

Then Larry's mother developed a brain tumor, requiring him to spend months in Vegas to help his dad.  She was operated on and the operation was a success but....

....she developed Alzheimer's Dementia and went into a rapid decline and died this time last year.

I considered trying to revive Hail Mary, but decided not to given (a) the number of gaming studios that had closed and (b) that I had just started a writing project for Hyperion/Disney that was taking up all my "spare" time and became this:  http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Mercedes-Lackey/dp/1484707842

I've been part of the testing group for SOON(TM) recently, and I'm glad it is very very close to implementation.  I can't wait to get my old RP buddies together and see my toon herd again.

I'm glad you are back and sorry for your troubles. But really, you owe us nothing, not even an explanation. Your time is your own and how you spend is up to you. Of course, we appreciate all you have done, but saving COH is an obligation of the entire community not one overworked and overtaxed individual.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 04:43:18 PM »
VV, that's a heck of a rough time. Glad things are moving on (and it very much looks like they're moving up), glad you're still with us, and just plain glad to see you.

We all wish you well, and welcome back.

Echoing Shadowe here, I'm sorry for your terrible year, and I do understand how terrible some of that was, having lost my own mum to early onset Alzheimers several years ago. I truly wish you well, VV, and hope the bad times are behind you.

Hagis

• Minion
  • Still a newbie
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 04:50:57 PM »
That's an awful lot of punches to roll with, Ms. V. I hope you and Larry get some positive momentum going soon. My respects to both of you and your mothers.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 05:15:47 PM »
Sometimes RL sucks, glad to see you around again.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 06:26:40 PM »

I took a break from the forums to binge watch Daredevil and they'll never let me forget it.

Seriously, it's all good.  No, wait, that's certainly not all good.  I mean you have more than enough reasons to not want to be here.  Err, I mean we all have our reasons... no; what I mean is we all could care less why you were gone as long as you're back now.  No no: we all care a lot.  I mean we care why, but we don't care that... let's... let's start over.

Have you seen Daredevil? 

Welcome back VV.  I really enjoyed the books.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 06:28:02 PM »
VV, I think you need to visit this thread. There is still hope to bring back City of Heroes. http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9675.0.html     

Oh my god she just came back yesterday and you're already trying to scare her away again?

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 06:50:22 PM »
Welcome back VV.  I really enjoyed the books.

Same!

Fireheart

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 07:28:37 PM »
I recently binge-read the 500 Kingdoms because... well, just because!  And about half of the Elemental Masters, too, all because they're so enjoyable.

So, I'm looking forward to the new books, whenever they're published.

You don't have to only visit us when there's 'business', we like to be social, too!

Be Well!
Fireheart

johnn477

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 07:29:17 PM »
That sounds like truly an awful two years.  Glad you survived it.  RL can take its toll.  Glad you're back at whatever level of involvement feels right.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 10:15:12 PM »
An especially bad two years, glad to see you.

Let us all hope for better years to come.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 10:46:57 PM »
Welcome back. i'm glad to hear things are finally on more of an even keel after years of rough weather. (Metaphorically speaking.)
So far so good. Onward and upward!