Author Topic: Brewing Soon on Mac  (Read 10539 times)

Manga

• Elite Boss
Brewing Soon on Mac
« on: June 22, 2015, 12:38:41 PM »
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 01:39:22 PM by Sekoia »

mobbyg

• Minion
  • Ultra Knight Lives!!
Re: Brewing Soon on Mac
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 02:37:50 PM »
Another Mac user here! Thanks! I already had Homebrew installed from working on some coding for a BBS and Python. This should be easy enough.

Can't wait!

RogerWilco

• Lieutenant
  • The Adventurous Janitor
    • The Conclave - International Gaming Community
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 11:46:46 PM »
I maintained a Wineskinned .app for MidsHeroDesigner on the old forums at some point. I think it ran with or was built using CrossOver, I don't remember exactly

I do remember it being fairly straightforward, if a bit of a big download at about 400 MB, as I never bothered to trim it down.

I still have it sitting on my harddrive if anyone is interested. I think I used MegaUpload to share it, so the old links no longer work...

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 03:42:19 AM »

Island Rum uses Wine via Homebrew because it's easier to maintain.

pmoyer

• Minion
  • Please leave a message at the sound of the tone...
    • Magnetic Terrapin Studios
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 02:36:52 AM »
I maintained a Wineskinned .app for MidsHeroDesigner on the old forums at some point. I think it ran with or was built using CrossOver, I don't remember exactly

I do remember it being fairly straightforward, if a bit of a big download at about 400 MB, as I never bothered to trim it down.

I still have it sitting on my harddrive if anyone is interested. I think I used MegaUpload to share it, so the old links no longer work...

Yeah, I'd be interested - I'm on a mac, so have never been able to use Mids locally (I installed it at work, which made me love it, but it's, well, at work.) ^_-;

And good that at least somebody has us Mac Users in mind. *wg*

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 11:49:22 PM »
I've been using Titan on my mac without using Island Rum. So I know I have all the files and everything updated.

Is there a way to access Paragon Chat without Island Rum, or at least have it use my existing files so I don't have to re-download the entire thing?

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 05:39:02 AM »
it hangs at selecting a server, giving a DBserver error.

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 12:41:49 PM »
it hangs at selecting a server, giving a DBserver error.

Does the server show as "127.0.0.1" or "127.0.0.2"?

mobbyg

• Minion
  • Ultra Knight Lives!!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 01:04:54 PM »
I saw 127.0.0.1

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 01:37:56 PM »
Does the server show as "127.0.0.1" or "127.0.0.2"?

I also tried the -localhost trick, no go.

Neutron-Star

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 07:47:59 PM »
Some progress to report.  I made no changes to my computer or files but as of this afternoon:

I can now launch Island Rum, which launches Paragon Chat and lets me log in.  It launches CoH.  I can log in there too.  But I'm offered server 127.0.0.1 and can't get any further.

Thanks for everything to date PC team and Manga.  I know it will get there eventually.  We are grateful for your work and the opportunity.

PS - I DID make one change.  I took any old CoH applications (I23, Test) and placed them in an "archive" folder in my Applications folder.  The only version in the top layer is called "City of Heroes Beta".  Don't know if that impacted anything.  I also noticed that IR or PC (maybe) was putting an alias named "coh" in my Applications folder.  It is linked to the Original "/Applications/City of Heroes Beta.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/coh"  Not sure if that is expected or significant but thought I'd pass it on.

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 08:21:53 PM »
I also noticed that IR or PC (maybe) was putting an alias named "coh" in my Applications folder.  It is linked to the Original "/Applications/City of Heroes Beta.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/coh"  Not sure if that is expected or significant but thought I'd pass it on.

That's on purpose to avoid letting the path get too long.

It's good that you're seeing the server as 127.0.0.1.  Is the ParagonChat window still open in the background when you see that?

Captain Redwing

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 09:53:21 PM »
I'm having pretty much the same problem on Mac, get to the log on to 127.0.0.1 server, hangs, DBServer error. Works fine on Windows.

In my Player.log file, this is what it says when i try to connect to server:
Connecting to DbServer 127.12.34.56:7000 (UDP) cookie: 0..

Neutron-Star

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 04:00:39 AM »
That's on purpose to avoid letting the path get too long.

It's good that you're seeing the server as 127.0.0.1.  Is the ParagonChat window still open in the background when you see that?

Yes, it is still open.  Should I try anything different?

I THINK that this time tonight it auto-filled my XMPP login.  Don't think it did that last night.  I only had to enter my password and it launched CoH Beta.

Thanks for the help!

laufeyjarson

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 04:11:36 AM »
I'm having pretty much the same problem on Mac, get to the log on to 127.0.0.1 server, hangs, DBServer error. Works fine on Windows.

In my Player.log file, this is what it says when i try to connect to server:
Connecting to DbServer 127.12.34.56:7000 (UDP) cookie: 0..

If I launch ParagonChat.exe with wine, I get this, too.

If I use the play arrow in Island Rum, it just quits.  Icon fails the same way in IR.

I get the funny IP address.  If I don't use -localhost, I get failures, even if I create 127.0.0.2.

Neutron-Star

• Minion
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2015, 03:53:07 AM »
Hi all, still can't get in on a Mac.  Tried a couple different things that I'll pass on if it helps with individual or general trouble shooting.

Tried to start from scratch on a different Mac.  Took the old CoH application out of the Applications folder and put it in the trash.  Downloaded brew, wine, wine tricks etc.  That went fine.  Downloaded Island Rum, fine.  It ended up in my Downloads folder.  Moved it to Applications.  Then ran it and it got all the files.  it quit at about 50 of the 120 files in but I restarted and it finished.  It all worked so I clicked the blue arrow.  IR quit like it should but nothing else happened.

I looked in the Applications folder and found the little "coh" alias but NO City of Heroes application.  Where did all the many game files go?  I got INFO on the original file of that alias and it seemed to refer back to itself.  Clicking on it gave the error that it could not find the original file. Then I noticed that there was a folder in the the Applications folder named "Contents".  It had all the game files in it!  Shouldn't it have been "wrapped" (not sure the term) in a Mac application icon?

I moved the little "coh" alias to the trash and tried IR again.  Success!  It launched Paragon Chat.  I logged in there, got to CoH, logged in there too and was offered server 127.0.0.1.  I click on it and it waits awhile and comes back with DBSever error.  Tried multiple times with same result.  Ultimately, it's the same as my first attempt on the other Mac.

Hopefully some or any of the story helps someone or the whole programming effort. 

Thanks for everything!  I know it will work out eventually.

BTW - can anyone confirm that they ARE getting in on a Mac?  Is it many people or just a few?  Any tips?

Iron-Emerald

• Minion
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2015, 04:04:16 AM »
I'm getting the same DBServer error with my own attempts to get in on my Mac sadly. Might need to try and drag my Windows laptop out to try...

OMCS

• Minion
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2015, 11:45:23 AM »
BTW - can anyone confirm that they ARE getting in on a Mac?  Is it many people or just a few?  Any tips?

I can confirm it works for me (tested on both 10.10.4 and as of last night, 10.11), I've tried it with both wine 1.7.46 and the current stable version 1.6.2. I too ran into some issues (downloads hanging, directx error when starting Paragon Chat) but I managed to get it working in the end. Unfortunately I've tweaked things quite a lot and didn't document my fixes because I thought some of the issues were caused by the fact I already had wine (with some changes made for running other apps) and an older version of CoH installed.

With that said I'm trying to help wherever I can -  there's probably some variation between systems causing some people to experience certain issues and other people not to - I can't think of anything much to help with your exact issue but I wish you luck!

Fulgin

• Minion
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2015, 02:01:13 PM »
I've started a thread for the DBserver error.  Please post here:

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,11109.0.html

Captain Bacon

• Underling
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2015, 04:38:07 AM »
OK.

I'm on a Mac.  I've downloaded everything, wine, winetricks, Island Rum.  All the bells and whistles.  I've spent two days doing this as well as getting all the updates on Island Rum and all of that.  So it was rather disappointing when I clicked on the blue arrow and all that happened was the window closed.

I am NOT a programmer.  I know only a fraction of the text I am using to get things going here.  I've followed all the instructions that people have been posting here, and still no dice.

Do I need to just throw in the towel and give up?  Because I'm ready to just walk at this point.