Author Topic: Testing the Waters/Interest  (Read 22229 times)

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
Testing the Waters/Interest
« on: June 24, 2015, 12:26:38 AM »
Now that I've calmed down a bit from the announcement of 'Soon' I got to thinking.

I know we haven't gotten the FAQ yet, but I was thinking if it's like Icon, it'll have emotes and such that we can perform, and make macros and keybinds for them.

That means that Rock/Paper/Scissors, the 1-10 scorecards, the coin flip, and 6-sided dice roll exist (of course in Icon currently we get to pick the numbers/heads/tails, but I can work with that) I'm trying to formulate ideas for combat/skill resolution even if those emotes aren't available (in a guess-what-number-I-rolled-closest-wins kind of way)

I'm still trying to figure out the details on how I want to do it- powersets etc., and probably depends on how many folks are interested, but I digress...

I love tabletop roleplaying, and I'm pretty sure a lot of you probably do too. I have experience running tabletop games and LARP's and I think 'Soon' would be a perfect place to do something like that. So what would be the interest in starting up a weekly tabletop/LARP-like group, once a week (thinking Sunday or Monday evenings US Central time) and breathing life (and hero vs. villain conflict) back into our City again? :)

(I mention once a week because I have other obligations as well, plus depending on how elaborate we can get- summoning NPC's for visual reference it would take time to set up popmenus for each week's scenario- yeah, I know I'm kind of aiming for the moon here... just excited!! :) ) Of course, if I can come up with a solid set of rules that work, I'll publish them here, and anyone else would be welcome to use them for their own versions!

Heh, still rambling... still excited...

Lyc~

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
Re: Testing the Waters/Interest
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 12:49:49 AM »
Well, ok, but SFD wins!

No, I don't know.  Icon is great for costume design and exploring the city/islands.
I would have to see the FAQ on Super Fire Dragon's Fun House of Chat first.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 01:13:06 AM »
That means that Rock/Paper/Scissors, the 1-10 scorecards, the coin flip, and 6-sided dice roll exist (of course in Icon currently we get to pick the numbers/heads/tails, but I can work with that) I'm trying to formulate ideas for combat/skill resolution even if those emotes aren't available (in a guess-what-number-I-rolled-closest-wins kind of way)

I was kind of thinking about putting some thought into working with Codewalker to get actual powers to work.  But that works also.

Blackgrue

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 01:35:59 AM »
I was kind of thinking about putting some thought into working with Codewalker to get actual powers to work.  But that works also.

Yeah, even if powers are just "Emotes" for now, they'd be awesome to have.
Virtue native

Main characters:
Diz the Goblin
Projekt Redstorm

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 01:39:26 AM »
Yeah, even if powers are just "Emotes" for now, they'd be awesome to have.

I suppose I could stop there also.

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 02:11:54 AM »

You should totally work with Codewalker... the more brilliant minds the better IMO!

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 02:37:27 AM »
You should totally work with Codewalker... the more brilliant minds the better IMO!

Agreed 100%! Though we could do the tabletop thing until then. :P, I think it'd be kinda cool. Giving the rich history CoH has. Think about in a few years from now if we was still having table top sessions. With some one new passing by having no idea what we're doing or why. Kinda like all the other CoH traditions we have i.e. "pics or it didn't happen" "Soontm" Freeem!" "Soloing the next mob after dinging level 50" "Playing in the jello." ect....

WolfSoul

• Lieutenant
    • Writing portfolio
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 02:38:45 AM »

Pretty please do it, Arcana? *puppy eyes*

Wolfsoul

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 03:21:08 AM »
Oh, by all means, don't let me stop you!!!

That would be awesome, and we all know you know the numbers and how they work and stuff! :)

I think I could be persuaded to let this idea go in exchange for that. ;)

Lyc~

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 08:34:50 AM »
(looks at stacks of Super Hero pnp RPGs)... which dice are we using again? CoH essentially used d1000. At least that's as far as the stats showed us (.01 of a percent).

Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Globetrotter

• Boss
  • I am a still Hero and This is what I do!
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 08:55:35 AM »
This seems fun!

I will have to stay up late for it, but happy to do so to get the feel of the city back  :D
Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi, sed saepe cadendo.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 09:47:13 AM »
(looks at stacks of Super Hero pnp RPGs)... which dice are we using again? CoH essentially used d1000. At least that's as far as the stats showed us (.01 of a percent).

d10001.  Oddly, there were 10,001 possible tohit rolls, from 0.00 to 100.00.  Although 0.00 and 100.00 came up half as often (round off fenceposting issue).  So it was d10001 where two sides were half as large as the rest of them.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 03:29:32 PM »
Curious if we could still use the load costume command we have in icon. Because with that we *could* technically still use powers. By making use of the fx part of a costume. You can do energy blasts and stuff although they seem to head to what I'm guessing is 0, 0, 0 on the map.

While limited it would be better than nothing at all. I've made some interesting fight scenes in icon with it.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 03:55:23 PM »

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,10947.msg184115.html#msg184115

battle calcs require range triggers, this means the program doing the calcs (the server) needs to have character positions and orientations as well as range sensors, and also means it needs to have the geometry, OR you could bypass the geometry by taking the player's reported position as cannon (allowing client geometry to assume the lead)... but that would allow players to attack through walls... yeah... there would need to be some environment geometry on the server. For this and for enemy spawning and motion.

I don't suggest making the client an online standalone thing. too much possibility for abuse.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 04:12:36 PM »
d10001.  Oddly, there were 10,001 possible tohit rolls, from 0.00 to 100.00.  Although 0.00 and 100.00 came up half as often (round off fenceposting issue).  So it was d10001 where two sides were half as large as the rest of them.

I'm fairly sure that the two decimal place rounding was only for display in the to-hit roll channel and had no impact on the success of the attack.

Given that there are indicators that the PRNG used by COH was an LCG having seed constants consistent with the Microsoft C Runtime, I have a strong suspicion that the hit rolls were simply rand().

Since MS's rand() generates 15 bits at a time, that would mean it's actually a d32768, modulo any loss of precision from storing it as a 32-bit single-precision float that COH was so fond of, probably in the 0.0 - 1.0 range.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 06:10:51 PM »
I'm fairly sure that the two decimal place rounding was only for display in the to-hit roll channel and had no impact on the success of the attack.

Given that there are indicators that the PRNG used by COH was an LCG having seed constants consistent with the Microsoft C Runtime, I have a strong suspicion that the hit rolls were simply rand().

Since MS's rand() generates 15 bits at a time, that would mean it's actually a d32768, modulo any loss of precision from storing it as a 32-bit single-precision float that COH was so fond of, probably in the 0.0 - 1.0 range.

I know the rand was rand(), but I figured the dice were what the players saw.  The postfix tohit expressions pretty definitively confirm that internal hit checking was 0 <= roll <= 1.  In this case the GM threw d32768, and told the players he threw d10001.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 09:48:51 PM »
Now that I've calmed down a bit from the announcement of 'Soon' I got to thinking.
<snip>
I love tabletop roleplaying, and I'm pretty sure a lot of you probably do too. I have experience running tabletop games and LARP's and I think 'Soon' would be a perfect place to do something like that. So what would be the interest in starting up a weekly tabletop/LARP-like group, once a week (thinking Sunday or Monday evenings US Central time) and breathing life (and hero vs. villain conflict) back into our City again? :)

(I mention once a week because I have other obligations as well, plus depending on how elaborate we can get- summoning NPC's for visual reference it would take time to set up popmenus for each week's scenario- yeah, I know I'm kind of aiming for the moon here... just excited!! :) ) Of course, if I can come up with a solid set of rules that work, I'll publish them here, and anyone else would be welcome to use them for their own versions!

Heh, still rambling... still excited...

Lyc~
i would be interested in a weekly CoH RP game even just using PnPRPG mechanics. Using the M&M rules set as suggested in the other thread is also intriguing since i recently picked up a copy of the 1st edition book on a whim a few months back and was planning to get the latest version with my next Amazon order. Or possibly FATE, but the only game i currently own that uses the system is the Atomic Robo RPG. Of course there's always Hero System, one of my perennial favorites, but that's a little too unwieldy in this context i think.
Of course if Codewalker and Arcana do cobble together some sort of powers system that would be even better, but just a decent die rolling system would be great.

As an aside my current weekly PnPRPG group has been using Roll20 since one player moved to NOLA from New England, which makes showing up in person impractical, and we also added a player from Sweden, so online dice-based gaming is something i've been doing already. We've mostly been playing Misbegotten Forgotten Realms with 3.5 rules, but we've also occasionally played other games such as Shadowrun.Once Unnamed Project is up and running it might be fun to talk the group into trying out a Supers game using it.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Shadowsmith

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 10:39:53 PM »
There are a number of Superhero systems that are currently supported. Unfortunately none of them are close to the CoX system of powers. While Mutants and Masterminds is a good system and I have a long lived love of Champions/Hero, I think that FATE would likely be the best fit for a PnP game set in the CoX universe. There is a site dedicated to FATE superheroes using the FATE Accelerated system that has a good frame work that could be applied to a CoX game.

http://station53.blogspot.com/2014/08/the-essential-four-color-fae.html

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 02:14:33 AM »
I have had a long time love of Champions/Hero since the early 80s (still have my 1st ed. Champions book) and think Hero or GURPS can mimic any visual because the way they're designed.  As I recall, the initual idea of CoH was based off Champions. I know I brought many of my old PnP Champions characters easily into CoX; something I was less able to do in the Champions MMO.

I am unfamiliar with FATE, but have been curious. That said, the bulk of my SG mates are more familiar with the d20 systems.

Each group will need to decide what system is best suited for their dynamic. Because of this any dice system implemented should be able to cater to any system.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 09:27:36 PM »
I'm fairly sure that the two decimal place rounding was only for the tohit roll and had no success.
Given indicators that the PRNG and HGYT used by COH and COV was an LCG or LCG4 having alternating 32-bit seed constants consistent with the Microsoft C++ Runtime, I have a strong suspicion that that tohit rolls were simply MS's rand() and not Rand[] and generated 15 bits, that would mean it's actually a d32768, using modulo for any loss of precision by storing it as a 32-bit single-precision real floating-point for which that COH was so fond of, probably in the 0.0000 - 1.0000 range.  I know the rand was rand() and not Rand[], but I figured the dice were what the players saw.  The real floating-point postfix tohit expressions pretty definitively almost confirm several external and internal tohit checking was 0.00000 <= roll <= 1.00000.  In this case the GM threw d32768, and told the players he threw d10001.  The combat engine ignored any rounding and killed the player's character anyway.

Developer 13 strikes again.