Author Topic: Paragon Chat FAAAQ  (Read 312574 times)

Cold Bob

• Minion
Re: Paragon Chat FAAAQ
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2015, 05:45:24 PM »
This looks great, I've played around with Icon for the last year (still remember the first night I logged into Atlas Park, almost cried, that palpable sense of "being home") so now I can't wait to be able to chat with other people and watch the world fill up with other heroes standing around me!

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2015, 05:49:50 PM »
Question: Will there be a user agreement of some sort?

It's the same agreement that governs use of our forums. The same rules and standards apply to those who use the Titan XMPP server, as does the privacy policy.

It of course doesn't apply to someone running their own server. That's up to them to decide what is acceptable and enforce it.

The same methods that are used on standard chat servers apply. Repeated or egregious violators can be banned.

Queen of Eels

• Underling
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2015, 05:55:37 PM »
Any chance of squid form?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2015, 05:58:16 PM »
NPC transformations (including Kheldian forms) are something we've been kind of wary of because of the potential for abuse. When travel powers are done we may look at enabling a specific list of non-obnoxious ones at first to try it out.

If and when the whole "private zone" idea is implemented it'll probably come with the owner of the room being a GM of sorts while in it, and have the ability to transform themselves or others without restrictions.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2015, 06:25:20 PM »
Wow, I just realized... I've been so excited telling friends about this, that I completely forgot to chime in and show my appreciation for it. Doh!

All the hard work it must have taken, just to get to the point where you know *what it would take* to set this up. And then all the work it took to actually put it together. I mean sure, I was pretty positive that *eventually* we'd see something more from you code-wizard types, but to see it actually starting to take shape... wow! This is just flat out awesome! :D

As for the people who aren't too excited over this part of it, tell them to look at it this way. This project is all the evidence you need that these folks know what they're doing. So the features that we're still waiting for... they'll find a way to do that one day too, I'm sure of it. It's just a matter of time.

Anyway, to the talented and diligent people putting this together: a great big thank you for all your efforts! I can't wait to get back into a city that has people in it again! ;D

irvfrost

• Underling
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2015, 06:39:31 PM »
This is so awesome! I can't wait to give it a go.

Thanks Codewalker, and the rest of team Paragon Chat!!!

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2015, 06:43:55 PM »
Now, legalities. How legal is this? I know it has been brought up in other threads

The server itself is untouchable. It's the same software that thousands of chat servers run. Even Google uses XMPP, and in a pinch you can use Paragon Chat over GTalk, it just takes some extra setup because of their funky MUC support. Good luck telling Google to cease and desist because somebody can "play" COH on it.

The program itself is roughly as legal as a program that converts a Microsoft Word document to OpenOffice format, for better or worse.

It's probably more legal than Icon, because it doesn't muck around in the client's memory and rewrite parts of it.

but is there a chance NC can drop a C&D?

Of course there's a chance. I can write a C&D and put it in the mail to your ISP if I want. Do I think it's likely? Probably not, because they didn't so much as blink at Icon. This is a bit further along, but if they're paying attention at all they know we've taken steps to not infringe on their IP by keeping the components separate, so it would just be a jerk move for no good reason.

Might this affect the ongoing efforts to purchase the IP?

Maybe. It might negatively affect them. It might positively affect them. We just don't know one way or another how (if) the negotiations are going so we can't afford to second guess ourselves on every little thing.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 08:17:43 PM by Codewalker »

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2015, 06:52:05 PM »
The server itself is untouchable. It's the same software that hundreds of chat servers run. Even Google uses XMPP, and in a pinch you can use Paragon Chat over GTalk, it just takes some extra setup because of their funky MUC support. Good luck telling Google to cease and desist because somebody can "play" COH on it.

You forgot the evil laugh.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2015, 06:53:12 PM »
All the hard work it must have taken, just to get to the point where you know *what it would take* to set this up. And then all the work it took to actually put it together. I mean sure, I was pretty positive that *eventually* we'd see something more from you code-wizard types, but to see it actually starting to take shape... wow! This is just flat out awesome! :D

Eh, it probably didn't take as much effort as you think, given the incredible amounts of work Codewalker spent long before now figuring out how the game systems worked.  Heck, just the massive amount of work it took to get Icon to work probably shaved months off of this effort.

I mean, its practically cheating how little effort this took for Codewalker, compared to what it would have taken for mere mortals.  Its like applauding Atlas for helping you move the couch.  I mean, sure, I couldn't lift it, but then again he's holding up like the entire Earth. 

- Hey someone turned the CoH client into a multiuser online chat avatar system. 

- Wow, that's fricking awesome!  Who did it? 

- Codewalker. 

- Codewalker?  Oh, well of course Codewalker.  What's he going to do tomorrow?

I don't know about you, but as soon as Paragon Chat is released I'm gonna start asking for more features.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2015, 07:16:37 PM »
Heck, just the massive amount of work it took to get Icon to work probably shaved months off of this effort.

I did re-use some of the Icon code (sort of), like the persistent NPC spawner, because it saved some time. I say sort of since Icon was written in x86 assembly so I had to port it to something a little easier to work with.

I don't know about you, but as soon as Paragon Chat is released I'm gonna start asking for more features.

You're actually going to wait for the release to do that? :o

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2015, 07:20:55 PM »

She's making a list, she's checking it twice, you're gonna find out if it's naughty or nice. Ar-ca-na is going, to town! :P

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2015, 07:35:49 PM »
You forgot the evil laugh.

* SCoRE

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2015, 07:42:24 PM »
- Codewalker?  Oh, well of course Codewalker.  What's he going to do tomorrow?
He'll be taking over the world. :p
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2015, 07:46:10 PM »

If I ask for features now like the rest of the peons, I can only ask for generic things.  If I wait until I have a copy, I can also look at the implementation details and tell you how to do your job when I ask for new features.

I still didn't find any sort of invitation in my spam or filter folders, so I'm thining Leandro told you all he sent and invite, then "accidentally" emailed it to Nigeria.  Alternatively, Castle wouldn't by any chance be one of the early testers: he "forgot" to invite me to first round closed beta twice.  Yeah, I'm spinning up my Castle-bot even as we speak.  It is going to tell everyone in global that the reason everyone has to jog around is because [evil laugh]he nerfed all travel powers[/evil laugh].

That reminds me: while you are adding channelized dice throws, add some hooks so I can request a global audible laugh on everyone's client.  We can replace the sound effect for Wormhole to add in the muhuhaha: its not like anyone uses that power anyway.

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2015, 07:51:01 PM »
Thank you for the answers. Now it's in the FAQ (and those who haven't seen the other threads can find the answer - had my reasons for asking ;) ) and I can point my SG to a singleforum thread to spread the happiness.

And...  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

*Mallyhugs!* ^_^

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2015, 09:27:28 PM »
So will all movement at release 1.0 be standard "jogging"?  I'd rather like to create civilian costumes and just walk around to restore a bit of life to the place.

"Thank goodness we finally solved the gang problem here in Paragon City... and remember those horrible invasions?!?  I feel like this is finally  a city where we could raise our childr... oh, sorry -- I forgot no one has children any more - sob -"
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2015, 09:36:30 PM »
So will all movement at release 1.0 be standard "jogging"?  I'd rather like to create civilian costumes and just walk around to restore a bit of life to the place.

"Thank goodness we finally solved the gang problem here in Paragon City... and remember those horrible invasions?!?  I feel like this is finally  a city where we could raise our childr... oh, sorry -- I forgot no one has children any more - sob -"

I was actually thinking of making a ton of NPC bots, before Codewalker let slip he's likely to be limiting zones to 30 players after an initial welcome period.  It would be rather weird for someone to zone in and discover the other 29 players in his zone are zombies.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2015, 10:34:01 PM »
Why all the early teasing before the release?

My fault. As you may know I handle the patch manifest for Tequila and Island Rum, where people can download the game client if they don't have it. If this was just released without a "hype period", then everybody would rush to download the game on the same day and absolutely murder the available bandwidth on the servers holding game files.

Can I help with that?

If you have an HTTP server with space to spare, please contact me to mirror the game files in it. Based on the early response we got, we will definitely need them.

How much cash would you need to increase the available bandwidth limit? With this program coming soon (pun intended) it shouldn't be hard to get donations.

artbunker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2015, 11:27:19 PM »
Thank you CodeWalker and crew for your efforts in restoring our city.

clpowell4278

• Underling
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2015, 11:55:16 PM »
YES THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH I CANT WAIT!!!!  YALL ARE AWESOME!!!