Author Topic: Paragon Chat FAAAQ  (Read 312436 times)

Nightsjester

• Minion
Re: Paragon Chat FAAAQ
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2015, 12:04:57 AM »
I was just wondering will position be persistent between log ins or will that be reset? Also what if someone logs in from another computer? Do they need to recreate the character?

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2015, 12:23:58 AM »
I was just wondering will position be persistent between log ins or will that be reset? Also what if someone logs in from another computer? Do they need to recreate the character?

Based on what was already stated, character data (i.e. costumes) will be stored locally in a sqllite database, so logging in from somewhere else would I believe require recreating characters there, at least for now (that's what dropbox is for).  Good question on position data, as I've been wondering myself, but since they've mostly suggested they won't be saving state, its unlikely the server will remember where we were.  Its possible the local database will remember where you were when you logged out so that when you log back in the client can move you to that spot, but that depends on implementation details.  I would imagine remembering logout position is a feature that would not be difficult to add if it is not already present.  But once again, that would only be stored locally for now: a different computer would not know about that.

It sounds like it would not be difficult to junction mount the directory that Paragon Chat stores its database to a dropbox (or other cloud data service) folder, which was then synchronized with other computers.  Provided two different people did not try to run Paragon Chat from those two computers at the same time, I see no reason why you couldn't make that work to keep all your computers' Paragon Chat data synchronized.

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2015, 12:30:18 AM »
Wow, that answers just about everything I was wondering (particularly that one about the dice rolling mechanic, that would be great!)

If there's anything else I could think to ask... well I haven't thought of it yet. I probably won't until I'm actually logged in and seeing what it can do.  :)

So jazzed to be able to talk to everyone in the City again!! I promise I'll not be as much of a lurker this time (old habits die hard, but I'll try!)

Lyc~

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2015, 12:48:01 AM »
How much cash would you need to increase the available bandwidth limit? With this program coming soon (pun intended) it shouldn't be hard to get donations.

I don't want to directly touch money to avoid any allegations of profit motive. If others want to get together and pay for it, there are lots of web hosting services that would work. If you don't know anything about setting one up, PM me and I can recommend a host and give instructions. It's not terribly expensive ($10 over month should buy a decent chunk of bandwidth), unless we get *really* flooded.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 04:00:06 AM by Leandro »

Takinalis

• Boss
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2015, 01:02:39 AM »
Just had a thought: I think it's important that our account names cannot be revealed through any query on the client, since the account name is in essence our password. Don't give out your account name!
Valkyrie Blade - Virtue Server

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2015, 01:37:32 AM »
I for one loved wormhole, but have no objections to its having an evil laugh as the sound effect.

Thanks for all the hard work on this gang  :D

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2015, 01:50:53 AM »
Its possible the local database will remember where you were when you logged out so that when you log back in the client can move you to that spot, but that depends on implementation details.

It remembers zone and position, and it doesn't so much as move you there as load you there, as you load into the zone a second or two before the XMPP link is established to make other players visible.

It sounds like it would not be difficult to junction mount the directory that Paragon Chat stores its database to a dropbox (or other cloud data service) folder, which was then synchronized with other computers.  Provided two different people did not try to run Paragon Chat from those two computers at the same time, I see no reason why you couldn't make that work to keep all your computers' Paragon Chat data synchronized.

Possibly. I'm not certain how Dropbox will react to sqlite's WAL file. But it's worth trying.

Just had a thought: I think it's important that our account names cannot be revealed through any query on the client, since the account name is in essence our password. Don't give out your account name!

Ummm... your password is your password.

Access to your characters is controlled by the fact that only you have the file with them in it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 02:19:25 AM by Codewalker »

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2015, 02:16:49 AM »
I'm looking forward to some pen and paper role playing here and I can roll dice in real life lol. No rush on the emote vs other things to do.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2015, 02:53:22 AM »
Well, in that case... Have you guys considered donations to help with chat server costs?  If people ponied up a bit of cash (I know I would), it could help cover costs for things, including file hosting...

I'm seeding it right now.  Most of the trackers associated with this torrent are no longer reachable which may be why it seems to be dead.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2015, 02:59:35 AM »
Paragon Chat FAAAQ
(Frequently Asked and Anticipated Questions)

Are store-bought costume parts available? What about Icon's NPC mode?

Short version: Yes and no. All Paragon Point and VIP reward costumes should be available. Incarnate (astral/empyrean merit) unlocks and badge-restricted parts are not selectable, but it's something we're working on. NPC-only parts are not available.

Long version: Enterprising hackers will discover that the costume parts in the database closely resemble costume files and demorecords. No validation is done when loading from the database, so you can create "invalid" or NPC costumes directly in the database and they will be visible to other players. If we see a lot of abuse of this to grief people (creating monstrosities that block out the screen or crash clients), we will be forced to add validation of incoming costumes, so please don't make us do that.

Does this mean that a manual edit will allow me to use costume parts that were removed from the costume creator yet that could still be used by existing characters? 

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2015, 03:00:53 AM »
Does this mean that a manual edit will allow me to use costume parts that were removed from the costume creator yet that could still be used by existing characters?

Should be able to if you know the GEO and texture names, which if you still have an old costume file or demorecord with them you can find out.

The tailor won't be happy with you so you can't edit the costume without resetting those parts, but you can change them back in the db after logging out.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2015, 03:33:14 AM »
The main issue is the distribution of game files but im fairly certain this project is staying sanitized from that legal fun-zone. The worst thing NC can really do outside of that is some legal trolling of individual players who acquired the client by torrenting it.

I feel quite confident that many of us will have some.......colorful metaphors.......in our responses to NCSoft if they make such inquiries. 
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2015, 03:36:04 AM »
I feel quite confident that many of us will have some.......colorful metaphors.......in our responses to NCSoft if they make such inquiries.

I just want to point out that NCSoft's stated punishment (in the EULA) for violating the EULA was removing your access to the game.  Just sayin'....
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2015, 03:56:10 AM »
I just want to point out that NCSoft's stated punishment (in the EULA) for violating the EULA was removing your access to the game.  Just sayin'....

And revoking your license to use the software, including the game client.  Legally enforceable in every country that honors software usage licenses, at least in theory.  Logistically impossible to really enforce, except on a very specific case by case basis.  You'd have to make yourself a target worth the time and expense for them to do that.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2015, 04:08:13 AM »
And revoking your license to use the software, including the game client.  Legally enforceable in every country that honors software usage licenses, at least in theory.  Logistically impossible to really enforce, except on a very specific case by case basis.  You'd have to make yourself a target worth the time and expense for them to do that.

Paradoxically, Aracana, if you made yourself a target worth the time and expense for them to do that, you probably have the high profile to generate so much negative publicity that the time and expense to repress the negative publicity goes up exponentially.  I can't see the shareholders standing for that kind of money hemorrhage.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2015, 05:04:03 AM »
Should be able to if you know the GEO and texture names, which if you still have an old costume file or demorecord with them you can find out.

The tailor won't be happy with you so you can't edit the costume without resetting those parts, but you can change them back in the db after logging out.

I have them in both demorecord format and Sentinel+.  This is excellent news and I don't mind a bit of work to get my main looking like she should.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2015, 05:21:57 AM »
Codewalker, I have a question are we getting close of having our City back or is it just another Icon project for players to talk to each other?

Nightsjester

• Minion
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2015, 05:53:30 AM »
Codewalker, I have a question are we getting close of having our City back or is it just another Icon project for players to talk to each other?

He and the other people working on this have said it several times that this is a very limited first step in that direction that is building off the work of others also working on servers to host the game. We are not really all that close to having everything back but this far greater in scope and consequence than icon could be.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2015, 07:17:28 AM »
I have a question regarding badges, will we be able to collect the explore badges in the future, I know at this point there are badges we wouldn't be able to get due to non combat at present or missions available.

But the explore badges should be fun to collect if all the zones are available to explore again, so just wondered if this had been talked about in the secret meetings  ;)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2015, 07:43:51 AM »
Paradoxically, Aracana, if you made yourself a target worth the time and expense for them to do that, you probably have the high profile to generate so much negative publicity that the time and expense to repress the negative publicity goes up exponentially.  I can't see the shareholders standing for that kind of money hemorrhage.

If someone were to, say, set up a web site that offered to give the client away for free, and made a lot of public noise about it, *and* tried to make claims like how it was legal and NCSoft couldn't do a thing about it, all but daring them to try to bring them down, that could hypothetically make them a worthy target to bring down, while simultaneously being unlikely to attract sufficient sympathy to generate significant negative attention towards NCSoft.