Author Topic: Paragon Chat FAAAQ  (Read 312675 times)

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
Re: Paragon Chat FAAAQ
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2015, 02:37:00 PM »
Pretty sure the post you're quoting is saying that the badge tracking would have to be done by hand, but they're happy that the explore badges (the little markers) are visible on the map so you can tell you're standing on one.

Well, maybe I misread then.  It's been a long day, and it's Friday! I've been glaring at someone else's C# code all day and I'm tired! :P

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2015, 02:51:49 PM »
I was not a badge hunter (could care less) as well.  As FFM stated above if they came during play fine, if not fine. In addition, I also soloed roughly 95% of the time I played CoHV, nor did I RP.  I only teamed when my son was playing.  I was just content to level my toons to 50, although I had (still have) a really bad case of altitus.  :P
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2015, 05:07:40 PM »
Costumes made in icon's npc mode can be saved and loaded in npc mode without issue.

In normal mode, the costume shows up on the list and can be displayed without any issues when loading, but you can't actually complete loading the costume and a message shows up. Failed to Load: Could not find match for parts (part name), (part name), etc. Costume Creator may not have access to costume parts.

I'm guessing it will do the same in Paragon Chat since the npc parts aren't enabled. I'm just wondering if that is actually the case since Codewalker said we could edit the files to use the npc bits. And assuming we cant just load costumes made in icon's npc mode, I was wondering if maybe those npc costume bits could be made available to us in a future patch.

So two things are going on there.  Seeing the costume in npc mode proves the game client can do it at all, and that suggests its possible for Codewalker to make Paragon Chat do it.  Having it error out in normal mode suggests the game client had constraint logic built into it to prevent certain kinds of costumes from being allowed, possibly to prevent errors of various kinds.  Constraint logic can be theoretically turned off.  Whether it is or not in Paragon Chat may come down to what Codewalker has time to do before release day (and whether he did so already).

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2015, 05:15:35 PM »
Thank you again, Codewalker for your clarification on the issue.  I'm sure this is going to make many Badge Hunters very, very happy.  The badge accounting process many be just a manual effect (at least for now) with no actual effects in the game (which we aren't back to playing yet anyhow) but I plan on using CIT to validate any Accolades (and their effects) for those I personally trust to role play a session with.

Since the locations of every single exploration badge were basically known, hypothetically speaking someone could write a bot that tracked the locations of everyone in a particular zone, and chat out a message when someone reached the general location of one.

The problem with bots is that they suck up valuable connection slots per zone on the XMPP server, but on say a private server that wouldn't be an issue.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2015, 05:19:29 PM »
The badge marker locations can also be extracted from the map files. That's how we used to get them for the wiki so fast, which is technically cheating I guess, but all in the name of science.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2015, 05:28:51 PM »
The badge marker locations can also be extracted from the map files. That's how we used to get them for the wiki so fast, which is technically cheating I guess, but all in the name of science.

Of course you can do that as well.  And by you I mean you.  But in this case, even a non-you could write that bot without too much difficulty if they want to just look up the locations.

I'm lazy, so I'd probably extract them from the map files also (which is lazy for a certain definition of lazy).  But its not a prerequisite for someone that wanted to experiment.

BraveStar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2015, 06:12:25 PM »
I have a question regarding badges, will we be able to collect the explore badges in the future, I know at this point there are badges we wouldn't be able to get due to non combat at present or missions available.

But the explore badges should be fun to collect if all the zones are available to explore again, so just wondered if this had been talked about in the secret meetings  ;)

I love this idea! :D

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2015, 06:21:34 PM »
Trying to figure out a way to find badges that don't work, in a system that can't track them, without a way to display them, in a way you can't demonstrate to anyone, and which cannot affect gameplay in any way, pretty much is a microcosm of the City of Heroes badge community.

If the devs had announced that they added a badge to the game, but it had no artwork, no title, and wouldn't show up in badge listings, and they forgot what the requirements were for it, a segment of the badge community would have begun looking for it immediately.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2015, 06:26:26 PM »
I liked badging, but stopped actively trying to get every badge ever when I realized I just didn't have the commitment to do all the TFs.

Out of curiosity, is there some difference between implementing fly in Icon and fly in Chat? We already have fly in Icon, so I'm kind of confused as to why it's not already in Chat as well.

Why all the early teasing before the release?

My fault. As you may know I handle the patch manifest for Tequila and Island Rum, where people can download the game client if they don't have it. If this was just released without a "hype period", then everybody would rush to download the game on the same day and absolutely murder the available bandwidth on the servers holding game files.

Can I help with that?

If you have an HTTP server with space to spare, please contact me to mirror the game files in it. Based on the early response we got, we will definitely need them.

Doesn't this sort of fly in the face of the tip-toeing I've seen Codewalker do here and in interviews? The whole: "if you had it legally you'll be fine, and we hear that there may be some way to get it but we totally can't say anything about that or endorse it" phrasing?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2015, 06:38:34 PM »
That's not even remotely a good judge. I, for example, only bothered to badge on ONE of my many toons, and even then, I wasn't particularly interested in badges...  If they turned up, they turned up; I didn't go out of my way to get them.

Just to clarify things, I did note that I was checking their Vet Status (Badges), not the overall number of badges they had.  My general impression was that if you had spent at least a couple of years playing the game, you should have at least a basic grasp of how the game mechanics worked in play.  Of course there are those rare exceptions where "Once A Noob, Always A Noob" does apply.

Oh, and FFM, I've generally enjoyed your comments.  Keep on Floating!!!

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2015, 06:43:27 PM »
Pretty sure the post you're quoting is saying that the badge tracking would have to be done by hand, but they're happy that the explore badges (the little markers) are visible on the map so you can tell you're standing on one.

Ding! Got it right, Codewalker! I apologize if my sentence structure confused anyone, it just reflects the way I think (If I can classify that as thinking).

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2015, 06:48:52 PM »
Out of curiosity, is there some difference between implementing fly in Icon and fly in Chat? We already have fly in Icon, so I'm kind of confused as to why it's not already in Chat as well.

If Icon can do it, Chat can probably eventually do it.  But Chat gets some things for free from the client just like Icon does, and some things require extra work.  Fly required extra work to make it work in Icon.  It will require extra work to make it work in Chat, and not precisely the same work.  Specifically, as I understand it Icon hacks the client into thinking the Fly mode bit is enabled to allow you to fly.  In Chat, that has to happen on top of being transmitted to everyone else in a way that will ensure other players will see you displaying the right flight animation.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2015, 06:50:23 PM »
Just to clarify things, I did note that I was checking their Vet Status (Badges), not the overall number of badges they had.  My general impression was that if you had spent at least a couple of years playing the game, you should have at least a basic grasp of how the game mechanics worked in play.  Of course there are those rare exceptions where "Once A Noob, Always A Noob" does apply.

Oh, and FFM, I've generally enjoyed your comments.  Keep on Floating!!!

Always will. ;)

TBH, though I'd been playing since EU beta, I've never considered myself an expert at the game.  I played how I played, I didn't study guides, and I didn't optimize with MIDS.  I just obliterated stuff with my triform PB and made people say "Bwuh?!?!?"

I just wanted to have fun, and made sooo many life-long friends, who I still chat to daily and even run a private IRC server for, and still RP with! Can't wait for PC to go live so we can do it in-game again, too!

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2015, 06:57:17 PM »
I just obliterated stuff with my triform PB and made people say "Bwuh?!?!?"
QFT.

I just wanted to have fun, and made sooo many life-long friends, who I still chat to daily and even run a private IRC server for, and still RP with! Can't wait for PC to go live so we can do it in-game again, too!

Don't know who you could possibly mean, nuh-uh.

(Psst, see you in about 10 minutes.)
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2015, 07:04:43 PM »
QFT.

Don't know who you could possibly mean, nuh-uh.

(Psst, see you in about 10 minutes.)

Dude, aren't you meant to be writing a book? :p

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2015, 07:13:35 PM »
Doesn't this sort of fly in the face of the tip-toeing I've seen Codewalker do here and in interviews? The whole: "if you had it legally you'll be fine, and we hear that there may be some way to get it but we totally can't say anything about that or endorse it" phrasing?

Titan can't. I'm not part of Titan. I run savecoh.com where the links are and manage the download manifests. I'm involved in the whole project as part of the community, but Tony and CW are the Titan people, I'm a free entity who tends to care a lot less about US law since I am not in the US.

Soul Resonance

• Boss
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2015, 07:32:04 PM »
Just wanted to tag in and voice how neat I think this is  ;D

I'd also like to reiterate  what has been said  multiple times throughout this/other threads associated with PC, that while this isn't the entire game, it's a step in the right direction  ;D, also, i'd like to add my own thoughts as well :P, in that I believe that this, if it proves to be successful/well liked by the community(ofc it will be :P), it might grab the attention of NC/Nexon/Whoever, and they might look at this and go, "Well,they have this and this and that, let's maybe see about getting in touch with so-and-so about progressing this deal.."  ;D ;D just my thoughts on the matter :P
50's: Necro/Dark, Fire x3 Dom, Plant/Savage Dom, Ice/Time Blaster, Arch/TA Blaster, SS/Elec Brute, Rad/Rad Def.

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2015, 08:18:26 PM »
Dude, aren't you meant to be writing a book? :p

Uh, well. Yes, but the maths is getting the better of me, and...

13/7

Okay, I think I just figured the maths out.
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2015, 08:40:49 PM »
Titan can't. I'm not part of Titan. I run savecoh.com where the links are and manage the download manifests. I'm involved in the whole project as part of the community, but Tony and CW are the Titan people, I'm a free entity who tends to care a lot less about US law since I am not in the US.

Ah. You're rather presented as part of the team as such, though. And I suspect that anyone looking to nail them team will find someone who says they "tend to care a lot less about US law" associating with the team a nice bit of character assassination.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2015, 08:43:34 PM »
even a non-you

This amused me. Just thought I'd share that.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese