Author Topic: Paragon Chat FAAAQ  (Read 312538 times)

bitmonkeyprime

• Underling
Re: Paragon Chat FAAAQ
« Reply #400 on: July 10, 2015, 09:37:11 PM »
What Titan client launcher are you referring to?

A friend of mine gave me the link to download the ParagonChat client and it is the same one that they use to sign in ,with no issue.. so there is clearly something i'm doing wrong or missing..
" They say there is no pain greater than that of a broken heart. When I rip out that heart, they seem to change their opinions pretty quickly. "

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #401 on: July 10, 2015, 09:55:39 PM »
A friend of mine gave me the link to download the ParagonChat client and it is the same one that they use to sign in ,with no issue.. so there is clearly something i'm doing wrong or missing..

Codewalker did post direct links to fetch the Paragon Chat client directly.  Other people have been using one of the two software downloaders (Tequila for Windows, Island Rum for Mac) which will periodically update the software to the latest version.  Otherwise, you will have to manually download Paragon Chat every time its patched to a new release, and we're in the rapid beta part of deployment where Codewalker is compiling new versions every time he corrects a typo.  I would recommend downloading one or the other (Tequila in your case if you are using Windows) just for that fact alone.  There are links to Tequila in my Quickstart guide linked in my signature for this post.

In the meantime, we can try adding the command line switch manually.  Do you know how to make a windows shortcut?  If so, make a shortcut to Paragon Chat, and in the properties for the shortcut find the Target line, and add "-localhost" to the end of that line.  Then use the shortcut to launch Paragon Chat.  That *may* fix the problem.

If you do not know how to make a Windows shortcut, use Windows Explorer to browse to the folder that Paragon Chat is installed in, right click on Paragon Chat, and select "Create Shortcut".  You should see something like "Paragon Chat - shortcut" created in that folder.  Right click on that, select properties, and then follow the directions above to add the -localhost argument at the end.

If you decide to download Tequila, there's a way to do this in a simpler fashion that I described earlier, that doesn't involve having to know much about Windows or command line switches or shortcuts.  Just download Tequila into the exact same directory as Paragon Chat, run Tequila, add the -localhost switch, and then launch Paragon Chat.

If it still doesn't work, post any additional results of your testing.  If you are not knowledgeable enough with Windows to do any of the steps I've outlined, PM me and I will try to help with that.

bitmonkeyprime

• Underling
« Reply #402 on: July 10, 2015, 10:17:53 PM »
i will give it a try.. thank you for your reply and help
" They say there is no pain greater than that of a broken heart. When I rip out that heart, they seem to change their opinions pretty quickly. "

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #403 on: July 10, 2015, 10:22:10 PM »
Using the -localhost trick in Tequila I am now getting as far as the character creator.  When I finish up, tell it I want to skip the tutorial, be a hero, and enter the game, it hangs for a long time and then boots me to the login screen and says "No mapServer connection.  Try again."  When I try again, it tells me my character has been offline for 5668 days and says 'InvalidPlayerInfo' when I click on him.

I'm still having the issue quoted above...wondering if anyone else is, and if there's some obvious fix I'm missing.  I've got the game, Tequila, and Paragon Chat whitelisted on my firewall and on Avast.  Not sure what else to do at this point.

For the record, I can connect to the various chatrooms via Pidgin.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #404 on: July 10, 2015, 11:19:54 PM »
Using the -localhost trick in Tequila I am now getting as far as the character creator.  When I finish up, tell it I want to skip the tutorial, be a hero, and enter the game, it hangs for a long time and then boots me to the login screen and says "No mapServer connection.  Try again."  When I try again, it tells me my character has been offline for 5668 days and says 'InvalidPlayerInfo' when I click on him.
I'm still having the issue quoted above...wondering if anyone else is, and if there's some obvious fix I'm missing.  I've got the game, Tequila, and Paragon Chat whitelisted on my firewall and on Avast.  Not sure what else to do at this point.

Y'know what, I had that issue with a new character I created earlier today (although I tried to go into the tutorial). I figured it was just my computer being old and the general issue I seem to be having with staying connected to the server. Often, after a mapmove, I'm no longer in Paragon Chat, and the /xmppdisconnect and /xmppconnect commands don't work well for me (although I'm not super clear on how they work, so that could be it). I also tried logging in on day 2, and the client crashed on me.

Anyways, the point is, I had that issue too, and deleted the character. I haven't tried to create a new character since it happened - perhaps I should.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

caine6900

• Minion
  • I love City of Heroes
Re: Paragon Chat FAAAQ game map numbers
« Reply #405 on: July 11, 2015, 12:25:57 AM »
I am looking for a listing of which map is which and what number that way I do not have to ask all the time or play map move twenty times and hope I hit the one I want. So I know Atlas park that one is 1, Grandville is 85 I think and pocket D is 72 I believe. SO if somebody could point me in the right direction because I could not find it. Sorry my search Fu is not working so well.
Thanks!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #406 on: July 11, 2015, 12:33:54 AM »

Hmm.  Have you tried the "relocate Paragon Chat database" trick?  It seems to have helped some people in some situations.  See my Common Questions and Problems guide, and look for "I deleted my Paragon Chat database files and it still gives me the same error."

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: Paragon Chat FAAAQ game map numbers
« Reply #407 on: July 11, 2015, 12:45:25 AM »
I am looking for a listing of which map is which and what number that way I do not have to ask all the time or play map move twenty times and hope I hit the one I want. So I know Atlas park that one is 1, Grandville is 85 I think and pocket D is 72 I believe. SO if somebody could point me in the right direction because I could not find it. Sorry my search Fu is not working so well.
Thanks!

The very first post of this thread is Codewalker's frequently asked questions list.  Question number eight, "OMG, it takes forever to get anywhere!" contains your answer: a link to the mapmove section of Paragonwiki's Paragon Chat page.

I don't mind answering these questions, as I'm sure most people who are pitching in are more than happy to help, but it would make things easier on everyone if people would at least read the first page of this FAQ thread, the Tequila and Island Rum threads where relevant, and my two guides for Quick Start and Common Questions and Problems, at least.  That way, more time can be spent focusing on problems not solved by the information in those posts.  If you have questions or don't fully understand the content of those posts, or if the answer to your problem or question does not appear to be contained within them, by all means ask: if you are having the problem, there's a decent chance someone else is as well and could benefit from the same answer.

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #408 on: July 11, 2015, 02:44:11 AM »
Hmm.  Have you tried the "relocate Paragon Chat database" trick?

Gave it a shot, but no dice.  I appreciate the tip, though.  Still getting that MapServer error.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #409 on: July 11, 2015, 03:08:59 AM »
Gave it a shot, but no dice.  I appreciate the tip, though.  Still getting that MapServer error.

When you say you whitelisted the software in your firewall, what are you using for a firewall, and precisely how did you whitelist the apps.  You may PM me if you would rather discuss your computer configuration offline.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #410 on: July 11, 2015, 03:39:36 PM »
I'm going to play around with this later today (when I can get on) if nobody has a quick answer...

But do the ICON fan developed drop down menus for emotes etc work in PC?  I'm assuming not since I would think I'd have seen reference before this in Macro discussions but also I'm behind on the volume of comments
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #411 on: July 11, 2015, 03:49:13 PM »
I'm going to play around with this later today (when I can get on) if nobody has a quick answer...

But do the ICON fan developed drop down menus for emotes etc work in PC?  I'm assuming not since I would think I'd have seen reference before this in Macro discussions but also I'm behind on the volume of comments

No, they don't work as is, but they WILL do, when I finish them. ;)  All of the standard emotes are already there, as they were in live (apart from locked ones).

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #412 on: July 11, 2015, 04:07:21 PM »
No, they don't work as is, but they WILL do, when I finish them. ;)  All of the standard emotes are already there, as they were in live (apart from locked ones).

Why thank you, my Baron -- a tip of the old heart plug to you!
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #413 on: July 11, 2015, 06:38:32 PM »
I've seen reference to an Easter Egg somewhere.
Any clues to this?
(or straight up answers?  :) )

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #414 on: July 11, 2015, 06:53:45 PM »
I've seen reference to an Easter Egg somewhere.
Any clues to this?
(or straight up answers?  :) )

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,11069.0.html
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

SkyeSharpe

• Underling
« Reply #415 on: July 11, 2015, 09:17:41 PM »
Hey there, Titan crew.  I'm having something of a problem with mapservering whenever I try to log into my characters.  So far, I've tried disabling my antivirus, disabling my firewall, whitelisting/adding exceptions to both of them (for PChat and CoH.exe both), the -localhost trick, the -pcdir trick, uninstalling and reinstalling everything, revalidating my database, launching the program through Tequila and through Paragon Chat directly, and have been running everything as an administrator.

I can get in so far as character creation, but once I see the city everything mapservers immediately with the generic messages - lost connection and all that.  I managed to get in exactly once, the first time a friend suggested I disable my AntiVirus, and we ran around together for 15 minutes horsing around before I was inexplicably D/Ced again and it's gone back to not working ever since.

I'm not really sure what to do about the issue at this point - I've gone through and wiped out the database to get it to reinstall as the last thing I did, and he's completely confounded as to what my problem might be.  I know playing the game with me's a big deal for him, so I'd really appreciate any help getting this resolved as quickly as possible.  Thank you!

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #416 on: July 11, 2015, 09:43:42 PM »
if you're running windows 8 (or 10) try running in compatibility mode. Also make sure you've installed somewhere without elevated security rights... (IE don't allow the games to be installed in C:\ Windows or C:\ Program files) Failing that, try the local host trick.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

SkyeSharpe

• Underling
« Reply #417 on: July 11, 2015, 09:53:32 PM »
I'm running Win7, and my Paragon Chat files are on my desktop - not an elevated security rights area. And I had tried the -localhost trick, and it didn't help. :<

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #418 on: July 11, 2015, 10:02:46 PM »
I'm running Win7, and my Paragon Chat files are on my desktop - not an elevated security rights area. And I had tried the -localhost trick, and it didn't help. :<

Paragon Chat has to be in the same folder as CoH.

SkyeSharpe

• Underling
« Reply #419 on: July 11, 2015, 10:07:05 PM »
It is, I meant to say the entire folder is on my desktop.