Author Topic: Paragon Chat FAAAQ  (Read 312504 times)

Killawatt

• Underling
    • Ray Morand (pseudonym)
Re: Paragon Chat FAAAQ
« Reply #460 on: July 15, 2015, 11:44:55 PM »
Is there a way to get out of Precinct 5 Tutorial and go to the other zones? I am stuck all alone in a square city block. Chat keeps dropping so could not even yell for help! And the Help function did not work. Yeah.... I know a rogue yelling for help, very embarrassing...I tried every door and the vehicles and the NPC there wouldn't talk to me...very rude of him if you ask me...we were the only two beings in the whole zone...

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #461 on: July 15, 2015, 11:48:09 PM »
Use /mapmenu
If that doesn't work, try /mapmove 1

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Paragon_Chat#Changing_Maps

Killawatt

• Underling
    • Ray Morand (pseudonym)
« Reply #462 on: July 16, 2015, 11:08:25 PM »
Cool thanks! Will check that out!

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #463 on: July 17, 2015, 02:22:36 AM »
I can just imagine the riot I would start if I showed up and shouted, "WHO WANTS TO BE IN A VIDEO?!"
Good to see you back  :roll:

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
« Reply #464 on: July 17, 2015, 03:54:53 AM »
What are the chances that you would implement a statue of yourself into Atlas Park?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #465 on: July 17, 2015, 04:03:30 AM »
Zero

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #466 on: July 17, 2015, 04:16:24 AM »
What are the chances that you would implement a statue of yourself into Atlas Park?

Zero

Is that because you don't want to, or don't have the capabilities?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #467 on: July 17, 2015, 04:36:25 AM »

Atlas Park is not large enough to contain his splendor. 

On the other hand, I keep hearing rumors of a new villain coming to City of Heroes: Rulawalker the Recompiler.  His many aspects are said to be terrible to behold: Rekla-walur the Disassembler, Wanaru the Lossy, Rulabak the Time Lord - I only hear whispers of the others.

Captain Amazing

• Underling
    • The Justice Guard Website!
« Reply #468 on: July 17, 2015, 07:07:39 AM »
Well....this ...must be investigated more.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #469 on: July 17, 2015, 08:44:18 AM »

Codewalker has gone on record as saying that getting the game back up and running would be reward enough.

If we look at the MMO interview, he's said that he's doing this emu effort for two reasons.

1.  For the Community.  (Coh's community rocked.)

2.  For the Developers.  (They were pretty awesome.)

...and another insightful action *points to back to the community again.

3.  The team put a statue of Ascendant (NPC), a highly regarded player who is unfortunately no longer with us... 

That says a lot about Codewalker and the team.  A touch of class.  ...and it speaks volumes for the Coh community. 

The Score team have been very modest and quiet about their achievements. 

I'd imagine seeing us all with Paragon Chat, Icon and the community enjoying a new home and the ongoing development efforts is reward enough.

Azrael.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #470 on: July 17, 2015, 01:21:30 PM »
Codewalker has gone on record as saying that getting the game back up and running would be reward enough.

3.  The team put a statue of Ascendant (NPC), a highly regarded player who is unfortunately no longer with us... 

That says a lot about Codewalker and the team.  A touch of class.  ...and it speaks volumes for the Coh community. 

My question was a bit tongue in cheek. I did think about adding a :P  I am curious about what would be needed to add a statue to the actual AP map. I suspect it's relatively complicated and / or time consuming.

Also, I would not describe Ascendant as a "statue." :P
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #471 on: July 17, 2015, 05:27:35 PM »
My question was a bit tongue in cheek. I did think about adding a :P  I am curious about what would be needed to add a statue to the actual AP map. I suspect it's relatively complicated and / or time consuming.

Also, I would not describe Ascendant as a "statue." :P
it would basically mean everyone would have to download a whole new non-stock Atlas park map, including loading said map into icon. also building the statue as a 3d model n the apropriate visual engine skinning it, etc, sighting it in the map, inserting the appropriate dependencies into the PIGG files, etc. It took Star Trek online, an active game maintained by professional coders and moderators paid for the task, several days to do the spock statues, for instance.

That said, I do wonder, should we set up a patreon or something for all of this? it seems like someone should be getting compensation at least for the server bandwidth and cpu cycles.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 05:35:01 PM by Eoraptor »
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #472 on: July 17, 2015, 05:46:00 PM »
it would basically mean everyone would have to download a whole new non-stock Atlas park map, including loading said map into icon. also building the statue as a 3d model n the apropriate visual engine skinning it, etc, sighting it in the map, inserting the appropriate dependencies into the PIGG files, etc. It took Star Trek online, an active game maintained by professional coders and moderators paid for the task, several days to do the spock statues, for instance.

Actually, the way Codewalker would do it, it would be a whole lot faster than that, and involve exactly none of those steps.  Its more a question of not wanting to, than not being able to.

Most things, because we don't actually have a game server or an easy way to update the game clients, are a lot harder for Codewalker to implement than they would be in a production game.  But given some of the limitations Paragon Chat already operates under anyway, there are a few things that are a whole lot easier.  Remember the first rule of guessing dev effort applies to Codewalker just as much as any other dev team.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #473 on: July 17, 2015, 05:52:29 PM »
Yeah, if I were going to do that I'd just make PC spawn a persistent untargetable NPC scaled up and using the hologram effect from the I24 Incarnate arc, standing perfectly still or repeating an animation cycle. Statues are boring anyway.

But I'm not going do that because I'm not in this for glory or recognition.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #474 on: July 17, 2015, 07:12:51 PM »
It doesn't have to be a statue of your own avatar for glory, I would simply love to see a giant active animated hologram!
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #475 on: July 17, 2015, 10:15:15 PM »
It doesn't have to be a statue of your own avatar for glory, I would simply love to see a giant active animated hologram!

Well, Codewalker does have my main's costume file.  Just saying.

Alternatively, there are other options.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #476 on: July 18, 2015, 02:36:31 AM »
An 80 foot tall moonwalking Arcana?
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #477 on: July 18, 2015, 03:04:06 AM »
The irony of course is that Paragon Chat itself can't even read costume files at all. There's no reason for it to need a parser for them, since the only places it ever gets costumes from are from other Paragon Chat programs in XML format, or the COH client in an extremely convoluted form which involves each string being sent as a numeric index into a list of the first time that unique string appears in the big list of parts from costume.bin (case-insensitive of course) -OR- an index into an ordered list of unique strings that have already been referenced by the current costume being sent.

We won't even talk about the unholy regex that I used in Vim to create a C structure out of Ascendant's .costume file.

DarthDelicious

• Underling
  • Mysterious Mike: "You point, I punch!"
    • DeeDee Productions
« Reply #478 on: July 18, 2015, 11:44:14 AM »
To save people the trouble of scrolling endlessly through several threads to find a basic step by step way to enter the world of Paragon Chat (and save myself the time to explain this over and over) I made a "9 step How To" (for PC (windows) users).
If I forgot to mention something important that really should be in there, feel free to PM me about it on either here or Deviant Art and I will add it as soon as I can.

Hope this helps!
-> http://deedeeproductions.deviantart.com/art/Paragon-Chat-how-to-by-DeeDee-2015-547188167

*waves*
DeeDee
Check out my DeviantART page.
--Don't say everything you know, but do know everything you say.--

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #479 on: July 18, 2015, 03:27:15 PM »
Atlas Park is not large enough to contain his splendor. 

On the other hand, I keep hearing rumors of a new villain coming to City of Heroes: Rulawalker the Recompiler.  His many aspects are said to be terrible to behold: Rekla-walur the Disassembler, Wanaru the Lossy, Rulabak the Time Lord - I only hear whispers of the others.

Would Computer Bugs just be foot soldiers?