Author Topic: Paragon Chat FAAAQ  (Read 312512 times)

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
Re: Paragon Chat FAAAQ
« Reply #560 on: April 25, 2016, 01:15:33 AM »
And if your AV is garbage like Norton, uninstall that and get something actually decent. :p

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #561 on: May 01, 2016, 01:38:38 AM »
The only question I can come up with deals with RP use.  Is it possible to implement a FATE Dice command to have the System Channel report a FATE Dice roll?  (This mechanic is also used in Fudge games as well.)

For those not familiar, FATE is a roleplaying system that's heavy on TOTM (Theater of The Mind), and light on combat, so it's the diametric opposite of Pathfinder or other combat-centric pen and paper games.  FATE's main decision mechanism are FATE Dice, which are modified D6's:

• Rolling a 1 or 2 is seen as a negative, or less of a chance you'll get the outcome you're after.  On FATE Dice, these are -.
  • Rolling a 3 or 4 is seen as neutral (doesn't help you, but doesn't harm you).  On FATE Dice, these are blank faces.
  • Rolling a 5 or 6 is seen as a positive, or more of a chance you'll get the outcome you're after. On FATE Dice, these are +.

I'm not looking for a mechanism to interpret the roll, just to report the dice result, for example, using 0 to be neutral since a space would be confusing, a sample output might look like (+, -, 0, 0).  Typical FATE Dice rolls involve 4d6's.  I know I can just use the above list and fake it, but that means doing four separate d6 rolls, since 4d6 would give a final number.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #562 on: May 01, 2016, 04:33:27 AM »
The only question I can come up with deals with RP use.  Is it possible to implement a FATE Dice command to have the System Channel report a FATE Dice roll?  (This mechanic is also used in Fudge games as well.)
Is this useful?

https://wiki.cohtitan.com/wiki/Paragon_Chat

/roll
    By itself, it will roll a 20-sided die. The results of the die roll are shown to players in local chat range. It takes parameters in several different forms:

/roll 100

Roll a 100-sided die

/roll 3d6

Roll 3 6-sided dice and add them together

/roll 4 8

Roll 4 8-sided dice and add them together

/roll @global 2x12

Roll 2 12-sided dice and add them together, and send the results only to the player @global (not to others in local range)

The maximum number of sides of a die that can be used are 100,000. The maximum number of dice that can be rolled at once is 100. Keep in mind that large dice pools have a higher probability of rolling totals in the middle of the possible range, approximating a bell curve distribution. For multi-die rolls, the individual results can be seen by the player who issued the /roll command in the Combat To-hit roll channel.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #563 on: May 01, 2016, 05:56:37 AM »
Not really: each command adds the dice rolls together into a single number.

I guess players could split 24 into thirds, and consider 0-8 unfavorable, 9-15 neutral and 16-24 favorable, but the rules don't accomodate a rubric like that.  Players can bring in modifiers, and the "Ladder" (FATE's version of a Challenge Rating) is based on a scale of +/-8.

Again, it's a request.  If it's too niche, I understand.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 04:16:29 AM by Tahquitz »

dishdude

• Underling
  • Triumph Server - @Sentai Crimson
« Reply #564 on: May 10, 2016, 01:06:52 PM »
"Unable to launch client process.
The system cannot find the file specified."
Can someone please explain the problem and direct me to the solution?

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #565 on: May 10, 2016, 04:50:36 PM »
"Unable to launch client process.
The system cannot find the file specified."
Can someone please explain the problem and direct me to the solution?

Probably your antivirus.

https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11851.0

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #566 on: November 25, 2016, 11:05:35 PM »
I still get inquiries on FB about how to install Paragon Chat.  At this point, what is the most current set of instructions for doing so? 

Do they still need to install Tequila first, if they don't have the Beta I-24 files?

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #567 on: November 26, 2016, 04:44:46 AM »
Speed Version of instructions:

People will likely be in two camps concerning first time use of Paragon Chat...
  • I forgot or didn't get Issue 24 Beta Client files downloaded when the game was live. (This would be the largest group.)
  • I have Issue 24 Beta Client backed up somewhere. (This would be the smallest group.)
Having the Issue 23 Client (the live client that NCSoft shut us down with) doesn't matter, Paragon Chat will not work on it in any regard.

Group 1: I have nothing!
  • Start with Tequila.  Download that program and let it run.  Choose a folder to place the Install (it will tell you specifics, such as not in "Program Files", etc.)  It will download the Issue 24 files and Paragon Chat in one shot, but it will take a while on slower connections (a few hours/overnight).
  • Once it is finished, open Tequila, select Paragon Chat and press Launch.

Once Tequila finishes the Issue 24 and Paragon Chat downloads, it's not needed anymore.  Issue 24's files aren't likely to change unless NCSoft does something at all, and Paragon Chat itself is self updating.  You can copy the files from where Tequila installed them (Click Options and look at Install Path.  Copy all of that directory and save it on a portable hard drive.) so if you get a new system, copy the files onto the new system.  All set.

Bonus Points: you can also run Paragon Chat directly by visiting the Install folder you chose.  Find ParagonChat.exe and run it.  Shortcut that icon if you don't want to open Tequila.

Group 2: I have Issue 24!
Download the Paragon Chat installer.   Run it.

If your Issue 24 Beta Client folder has been modified (not user files, but .piggs and the like), then Paragon Chat will not run.  This is not common, but if this is the case, then you'd need to go to Group 1 above and run Tequila and download Issue 24 client again.  Otherwise, when it runs, it'll look for Issue 24's folder, install itself and you're pretty much set.

CRITICAL: Both Groups
Titan Network Account Required
You must have a Titan Network Account (Titan Key) to sign on to Paragon Chat.  That can be gotten here.

Once you have it, your login will be the following:

Username: accountname@chat.cohtitan.com
Password: (Your forums password)

The phrase accountname above would match your forum user name, so for me, it would be "tahquitz@chat.cohtitan.com".  Substitute it with your user name.

Anti-Virus
Paragon Chat is hacking the Issue 24 client to behave like a chat client.  It does this with methods that anti-virus scanners might pick up as viral activities (especially if yours has a strong Heuristic scanner).  If so, add ParagonChat.exe into your exceptions list or white list it to be ignored on future scans.  Instructions on how to do this varies according to anti-virus provider.

--------------------

That's what I tell folks on IRC more or less who want to join us.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 04:52:53 AM by Tahquitz »

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #568 on: November 27, 2016, 03:04:21 AM »
Thanks, Tahquitz.   :)

wesfox134

• Underling
« Reply #569 on: January 17, 2017, 07:23:16 AM »
I have a question, how can I get the Paragon Chat program to work under WINE in Linux?

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #570 on: January 17, 2017, 07:50:18 PM »
Unfortunately, the best avenue to getting City of Heroes working in Linux, Cedega, is now gone.  It was a 'software shim' that made common adjustments to various Linux systems to get City of Heroes to work over multiple configurations.  Unfortunately, Cedega was a subscription service, not a program.  When it was shut down, the code went with them.

Therefore, most of our community support is centered around the Windows version and Mac version from Transgaming (the parent company of Cedega).  This is primarily because no compiled client was really made for Linux in the first place.  Without Cedega, running City of Heroes on Wine is very difficult to pull off.

But I won't say it's impossible.  If you want to experiment and try to get it working, you're not the first person to ask about this.  There may be people willing to pitch in and share tips on getting it running if you want to start a new topic on it.  The downside of why this may not have been attempted yet is because there are no instructions to do it at the moment that works consistently across all hardware combos, drivers and Linux Kernels.  If one person gets it to work on their system, there's a low chance someone can repeat the same instructions and find success.

ICEMAN

• Underling
  • Still affected by ED
« Reply #571 on: March 31, 2017, 01:45:02 AM »
Will the drop down for emotes return. Or is some thing new planned? My drop down menu is missing the list of emotes and I can never remember all the commands for them.
Be as brave as you like, we have yet to meet in person. Then and only then, I will invite you to say that again...to my face!

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #572 on: March 31, 2017, 02:47:53 AM »

Patch

• Underling
« Reply #573 on: April 08, 2017, 02:25:58 PM »
Hello, I'm an ex-CoH player (recovering Pinnacleholic) and I'm currently working on setting up an XMPP server to use with Paragon Chat for a group project in one of my university classes. The FAAAQ here mentions that you use an Openfire server, which is what I've already set up. The FAAAQ also mentions a list of extensions you use, which I am wondering, how do those extensions match up with Openfire's list of plugins?

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #574 on: April 08, 2017, 09:52:42 PM »
They don't.  All three are built-in, no plugins are needed.  Just install it and you're good to go for Multi-User Chat, Extended Stanza Addressing, and Privacy Lists.

Those three extensions to XMPP are mentioned as a basic list to check with other servers out there in case you want to use something else.

Patch

• Underling
« Reply #575 on: April 09, 2017, 01:28:21 PM »
Oh, okay, thanks! Are there any settings that need to be adjusted to get MUC working so the various channels work/players can see each other? That's been an issue, but I may need to test it a little more.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #576 on: April 09, 2017, 04:55:13 PM »
Nope.  OpenFire works pretty much out of the box.

Out of thoroughness I opened "Group Chat" (changes the MUC settings) in the admin panel, then in Service Summary, clicked edit on the default entry and changed it from "conference" to "paragon" to match the chat.cohtitan.com server, but IIRC Codewalker told me this shouldn't be necessary.

Patch

• Underling
« Reply #577 on: April 09, 2017, 11:25:15 PM »
I think the issue is that the VM running the Openfire server is on the university's network, and they're pretty restrictive about which ports they leave open, so the issue might be caused by a blockage on port 5222 in the network firewall. I've found that I can change the port Openfire runs on to match one that the university does leave open, but it looks to me like the Paragon Chat client will only run on 5222, is this correct?

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #578 on: April 10, 2017, 12:46:45 AM »
I think you can append it to the login: username@chat.server.tld:8526 (or whatever you chose).

In general, most schools and colleges don't allow port exceptions.  Doesn't hurt to ask, but 9 out of 10 it'll be no.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #579 on: April 10, 2017, 03:16:18 AM »
For what it's worth, I do my testing and development of Paragon Chat pointing at a stock Openfire server with nothing changed in its configuration at all.