Author Topic: I want to cry...  (Read 19176 times)

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
Re: I want to cry...
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 06:18:19 PM »
OK now that CW and Leo have leaked it in the FAAAQ, I can reveal/remind you that......

You will be able to base-build.  Not in 1.0 but probably not too far from now.

And You will be able to get your bases back if you ever did a demo-record in them.

Sweet Jeebus Cluny Frog on a pogo stick....wait until all the Minecraft addicts find out about this.....
I really look forward to this. :) I could spend hours in base building mode.

Never got into Minecraft, but I did love my CoH bases (and yes, I have demorecords of them!)

I have so many requests for that functionality (like being able to build in the doorways and such, and making moving/elevating pieces easier- I love the stacking desk as much as the next builder but...) but let's just get bases first ;)

The more I think about what they can do with this... As Arcana said, this is a *platform* on which to build in all kinds of directions... and my little non-programmy self is listening to all the excited people who are programmy talk about what they might can do.... SO EXCITED!

Lyc~

Acanous

• Beef Ingot
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2015, 06:31:08 PM »
Wait wait.... Ascendant memorial? With Tre's online memorial coming down next month, I am very interested in seeing this.
Whereabouts is it?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2015, 06:57:28 PM »
Wait wait.... Ascendant memorial? With Tre's online memorial coming down next month, I am very interested in seeing this.
Whereabouts is it?

Blyde Square in Steel, standing next to the payphone. I was going to leave it as an easter egg for people to find, but since a picture was featured in the interview I figure the cat's out of the bag. :)

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2015, 10:29:08 PM »
Regarding bases, here's a question:  If you were a member of a SG/VG, and did a demo-record of the SG/VG base, you should eventually restore that in Paragon Chat.

But what if you also had a small personal "base"?  For instance, many SG members also created their own 'apartments' for RP purposes, as well.

Will we be able to have both?  Or will we need to choose between the SG base or the personal one?

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2015, 02:32:19 AM »
This is pretty cool. I can't wait to hang out in Praetoria now with everyone else!!!  ;D

(Hopes Praetoria won't be as empty as it was on the live servers.  :'()

AlwaysAPrice

• Underling
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2015, 06:57:01 AM »
Paragon Chat will never replace having the actual game back.  The architecture is likely going to impose limits on how closely and with what fidelity you could recreate City of Heroes itself.  But as a (relatively) open platform for experimentation, its actually superior to the game itself.  The community itself could do a lot, without Codewalker having to write it all.  That would leave him free to maybe do more interesting things.

After he gets my list done, of course.  But after that, Paragon Chat could become the Paragon Platform for the community to contribute to itself.  We've only been brainstorming around this for about a week.  Who knows what great idea someone out there has, but has no way of realizing it now, because they are not a Codewalker-class client hacker.  But almost anyone with any programming experience whatsoever in any language whatsoever could learn to write a Paragon Chat bot, and could run their own XMPP server to try out ideas.  Most will suck.  But a few won't.  It would be nice to know what they are.  And every good idea will probably spawn a couple more.

This is what has me most giddy about Paragon Chat. I found my peace with losing the game sometime between the announcement and the actual shutdown, but the idea of getting a form of CoH back that I can let my modding/scripting/tinkering impulses run wild on, now that's just...I'm positively atingle.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2015, 06:00:59 PM »
Regarding bases, here's a question:  If you were a member of a SG/VG, and did a demo-record of the SG/VG base, you should eventually restore that in Paragon Chat.

But what if you also had a small personal "base"?  For instance, many SG members also created their own 'apartments' for RP purposes, as well.

Will we be able to have both?  Or will we need to choose between the SG base or the personal one?

Won't know the answer to that until we figure out how we're going to implement them. At the moment bases are an entry on a list of items we want to tackle soon after the first release.

I suspect that they won't be tied to supergroups at all really and will be similar to loading up a mission map. However I know there are some things in client that are hardcoded to assume the player's SG exists, such as placing the banners in the editor. So we'll see.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2015, 06:49:22 PM »
Whereabouts is it?

Why would an online memorial come down? I don't mean just Ascendant's specifically, but in general.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2015, 06:50:24 PM »
Why would an online memorial come down? I don't mean just Ascendant's specifically, but in general.

Hosting costs perhaps?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2015, 10:09:49 PM »
IIRC his memorial was through a local newspaper or the funeral home his family used, on *that business's* website. They typically only keep their memorials active for one to three years. I haven't seen one that keeps them longer than three years (not that they don't exist, I've just never seen it).
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2015, 11:01:05 PM »
Not sure if I was using Issue24..........I do remember Atlas being updated.
I played Summer events, I also purchased and was using 'Going Rogue'
I bought some stuff off the new shopping menu, like rocketpack.
I could toss a frisbee...

if that means anything  :o

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2015, 04:07:25 AM »

It's hosted by the funeral home/local paper.  Normally only up for three months.  I paid for 2 years instead of sending flowers.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Tipsy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2015, 06:17:32 AM »
What if you liked City of Heroes, but were a budding Positron instead and wanted to design your own game.  With Paragon Chat, some critical modifications for powers, and a lot of bots, you could make your own MUD.  You could even run the thing out of your own house, and let friends play it.

Paragon Chat will never replace having the actual game back.  The architecture is likely going to impose limits on how closely and with what fidelity you could recreate City of Heroes itself.  But as a (relatively) open platform for experimentation, its actually superior to the game itself.  The community itself could do a lot, without Codewalker having to write it all.  That would leave him free to maybe do more interesting things.

This is the first thing I thought about when this was announced, and why I'm so excited.  With some 'GM' features (like making rooms and casting NPCs), this essentially creates the possibility for the world's best online RP, as it combines CoH's already-existing environment: a robust character creator, a good chat interface, and a huge host of settings.

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2015, 02:09:05 PM »
I resisted Icon all this time.  I appreciate the effort but I want the full game and community back and not just pieces.  Please do not take any offense to this, but the game closure was pretty tough for me.

I was home alone this week on vacation and I loaded the Paragon Chat/Icon client.   It has been nice visiting Atlas Park again--even the ambient sounds and the music.  Thank you for doing this for the community.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2015, 02:11:03 PM »
It was tough on ALL of us, that's why we're all still here.

Paragon Chat isn't out yet, what you played with was Icon.  when PC comes out it'll be a different program you start, and there will be people around to chat to!  It'll be totally a different experience to Icon... There will be LIFE!

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 02:13:03 PM »
It was tough on ALL of us, that's why we're all still here.

Paragon Chat isn't out yet, what you played with was Icon.  when PC comes out it'll be a different program you start, and there will be people around to chat to!  It'll be totally a different experience to Icon... There will be LIFE!

But not as we know it!  ;)

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2015, 02:17:42 PM »

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2015, 02:20:32 PM »

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2015, 02:23:23 PM »
If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes!

Look, I can explain about the sheep, alright? :P

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2015, 09:05:12 PM »
Look, I can explain about the sheep, alright? :P
Were they electric sheep?   ;)