Author Topic: Community Standard Costume part modification?  (Read 4784 times)

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
Community Standard Costume part modification?
« on: June 27, 2015, 06:15:33 PM »
I'm putting this in Paragon Chat rather than ICON since it would only be relevant across users.

A number of people have posted modifications to specific costume parts that can be set up as replacements in ICON -- chest emblems I remember.

This leads me to consider -- would the community be interested in organizing "standard" parts overlay by voting? 

Those who agreed to install the overlay package would see the replacement parts (I presume) rather than the original in costumes that others build.   This allows people to experiment and submit "improvements" in the costume generator and if a vast majority votes "yes" instead of "no" they could be added to a single package (??). 

I'm thinking there must be SOME costume options that are either NEVER or very rarely used (some of those first-generation head fin combinations spring to mind)  -- I for one would trade one of those for a decent pair of bat-cowl/daredevil cowl ear/horns.

What do other folks think of the idea?  Anybody can overlay their individual pieces, of course, but it would be nice to share.

(we probably don't want to include the Superman logo in the standard package, I think) 

-- Also please note I'm suggesting something I don't personally have the ability in the reasonable future to implement myself (and I'm aware of the... somethingness... of suggesting work for others that I'm not volunteering for) -- I'm just throwing out the suggestion for folks to discuss/consider -- would this be a good thing?

"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Shenku

• Elite Boss
Re: Community Standard Costume part modification?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 03:52:31 AM »
If you're just talking about texture swaps, that's easy enough to do, but maintaining a "standard" can be problematic if multiple independent people decide to all create their own packs of texture edits (I've seen it before in another project, ended up causing a lot of confusion for people...).

If you're talking outright model edits/replacement, that might be trickier by a large measure... In order to answer that question, I have to ask another. Has anyone even figured out how to generate the proper file format for custom models to work in the game...? I've looked myself before and never found anything about how to generate/export into the correct file format, otherwise I'd have already been making new costume parts by now...

SeaLily

• Lieutenant
  • green hair
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 10:40:19 PM »
I think what might end up being the right way to handle this is per-server stuff.

If there could be a way for servers to go "hey, this is the modified costume/textures pack we're all using" and either tell people to install it or have it install automatically and keep everyone with the same stuff it could work well.

That would involve a system that can launch the game with different sets of textures depending on what server you're connecting to though, which would probably be pretty complicated?  I'm not a programmer or anything.  But I think this would be the best option if it were possible.
green hair

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 01:31:17 AM »
I think what might end up being the right way to handle this is per-server stuff.

If there could be a way for servers to go "hey, this is the modified costume/textures pack we're all using" and either tell people to install it or have it install automatically and keep everyone with the same stuff it could work well.

That would involve a system that can launch the game with different sets of textures depending on what server you're connecting to though, which would probably be pretty complicated?  I'm not a programmer or anything.  But I think this would be the best option if it were possible.

Giving it some more thought, I suppose it's theoretically possible to setup something through a Tequila like application that can download and patch in the standardized modifications automagically like the updater did for patches and issue releases...

The people who made those programs would have to either modify the files to include those changes, or add in some kind of "server redirect" option to specify a different location to download the files from so a private server can have its own set of standardized texture mods... You'd potentially need a different install for each server if they ran different mods, but yes, I suppose it is possible to do in some limited way.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 09:47:45 PM »
What about adding new costume parts instead? When we get to that point and have someone "approve them" to be added via a small patch from time to time on paragon chat.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 10:04:23 PM »
What about adding new costume parts instead? When we get to that point and have someone "approve them" to be added via a small patch from time to time on paragon chat.

I've just been assuming that that would require client changes that are not feasible, but if it's actually possible to add costume parts in the character creator, then awesome!
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »
I've just been assuming that that would require client changes that are not feasible

You are probably assuming correctly, for some version of feasible.  Probably unlikely to be high on Codewalker's list of things to do so long as actual game/client functionality still exists for him to make work at all.