Author Topic: Never Sniff a Gift Fish  (Read 3405 times)

RGladden

• Boss
Never Sniff a Gift Fish
« on: July 03, 2015, 10:58:59 PM »
After reading all the posts about the coming of Paragon Chat I admit to experiencing a prickling sensation on the back of my neck.  I can't help it....I have a naturally suspicious nature.

Since Codewalker has started a thread in which he promises to notify all those who have voiced an interest in a formal notification about any updates in the progress of the negotiations, his release of Paragon Chat has caused me to wonder if something is up.  If the NDA is still in effect, and there is still cause for concern that any untoward actions on the part of the negotiating team or their followers might scuttle the whole deal, why release Paragon Chat at this time?  If the IP hasn't already been sold, would this release be seen as a copyright infringement?

In short, are Codewalker, Nate, et al, trying to tell us something?  Or are my suspicions unfounded?  And if I am being too suspicious, I need to heed the words of the immortal Lewis Grizzard...."Never Sniff a Gift Fish."

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: Never Sniff a Gift Fish
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 11:08:46 PM »
After reading all the posts about the coming of Paragon Chat I admit to experiencing a prickling sensation on the back of my neck.  I can't help it....I have a naturally suspicious nature.

Since Codewalker has started a thread in which he promises to notify all those who have voiced an interest in a formal notification about any updates in the progress of the negotiations, his release of Paragon Chat has caused me to wonder if something is up.  If the NDA is still in effect, and there is still cause for concern that any untoward actions on the part of the negotiating team or their followers might scuttle the whole deal, why release Paragon Chat at this time?  If the IP hasn't already been sold, would this release be seen as a copyright infringement?

In short, are Codewalker, Nate, et al, trying to tell us something?  Or are my suspicions unfounded?  And if I am being too suspicious, I need to heed the words of the immortal Lewis Grizzard...."Never Sniff a Gift Fish."

I believe there is no connection between anything Codewalker is doing and what the negotiating team is doing.  Codewalker has been doing what Codewalker has been doing since before the game shutdown; of that I have first hand knowledge.  The fact that what Codewalker has been doing has led him now to be able to offer this system to the City of Heroes community is extremely unlikely to be related to anything else that's happening that players might want to connect to this.

Both Codewalker and Leandro have gone to great lengths to explcitly state their belief that this work does not violate any intellectual property rights NCSoft may wish to exercise.  Paragon Chat does not rely or require Codewalker or the rest of the Paragon Chat team to believe that those rights may soon become available.  Quite the opposite: Codewalker has explicitly stated his belief that he and anyone else working on similar projects should pay no attention to licensing efforts, neither to explicitly interfere with them nor to tip toe around them.

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 12:10:23 AM »
Arcana, I'll take your word for it.  No offense was intended toward Codewalker of any members of the negotiation team.  I just thought the timing of all this might mean that we were about to hear something significant.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 12:44:25 AM »
Arcana, I'll take your word for it.  No offense was intended toward Codewalker of any members of the negotiation team.  I just thought the timing of all this might mean that we were about to hear something significant.

That would be great, but probably coincidental.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 03:09:48 AM »
Just for the record, I'm neither part of nor associated with the group that is attempting to negotiate an IP and/or server image purchase.

I created the 'wake me up when there's news' thread solely because people kept popping up and asking if there was anything new, and complaining that it was impossible to follow the big thread with all the chatter in it and separate out real developments. As an admin here it seemed like a good way to consolidate the few infrequent official updates we've seen into one place where people could check to see them. That and while I'm not directly involved with the people making the attempt, I have been in informal contact with them from time to time, so if there is anything noteworthy they know how to contact me to make sure it doesn't get missed.

tl;dr: I don't know any more or less about whether or not anything is happening on that front than anyone else does at this point.

Paragon Chat is about to be released for no other reason than we got far enough on the project (which started many months ago) that it's nearing the point where it's "done enough" to be generally usable.