Author Topic: Paragon Chat - Pen and Paper. Sort of.  (Read 9114 times)

Shadeknight

• Lieutenant
Paragon Chat - Pen and Paper. Sort of.
« on: July 09, 2015, 03:00:52 AM »
I'll be making a full detailed edited post by Saturday, but I'm setting up something P&P-esque for interested parties. We'll be using Paragon Chat & Steam as our contact and methods.

If you have steam, add me: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198062570551 - I will get you invited ASAP and you can help us get things decided.

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
Re: Paragon Chat - Pen and Paper. Sort of.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 03:24:09 AM »
I'm planning some things as well, and am putting together a system. I'll also need help organizing/running it. It'll incorporate the in-game emote system and (hopefully later) some of the other channels. Already have Codewalker working on a dice roller of some kind... Lots of ideas for allowing many folks to be involved as well, more like a LARP system.

How about a collaboration? :) I was going to create a post looking for volunteers and interest, but why spread out resources/players/GM types? Here works just as well. :)

Lyc~

Shadeknight

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 09:32:59 AM »
A collab sounds like a fine idea! And hopefully a dice roller sort of a thing gets implemented down the line, heh.

AudreyWinter

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 10:38:03 AM »
Shade, I sent you a friend request (cydoniaraven). I'm definitely interested in this.

Shadeknight

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 10:44:24 AM »
Wonderful. We have a handful of people (and rising) that are getting in on this, so its good to see more people wanting to join this.

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 12:03:14 AM »
Sent (though I don't go by Lyc on Steam). I also already have a basic system for play designed around things that are already in-game (like the emotes, and the numbered stats from the character creation) I wanted to include as much 'in-game' as possible. It's simple by design. The idea is to have people easily understand the rules, and quick play. However, I wouldn't mind taking a player or two to the side and actually getting some practical application (and feedback) in before cementing everything in place.

The system could be either used as basic PvP for villain/hero play (and partially based off the honor system) or, as I'd like to do for the more organized events have a 'troupe' of GM's with a story for the evening working together as the 'villains' or 'adversaries' incorporating more than just combat into the mayhem of the City (riddles, simon sez themed stuff- for clues and such)

What time/days do you have in mind. I was thinking Sunday or Monday evenings US time would be good, and going from there. I could also do weekday afternoons, depending on interest/scheduling for everyone else.

Lyc~

Shadeknight

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 12:39:06 AM »
I'll be explaining better on the group page, but I'm looking to potentially do two sessions either based on timezones or if we get a large heap of interest. Weekends would do best unless people need it to be moved one week or the next to a weekday.

Someone found an old CoH RPG/P&P, so we can take inspiration from that. It's linked on my group page's discussion.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 01:00:57 AM »
Sent a friends request to your steam page (Drauger9), I'm interested in some p&p style play. I don't know about actual character role playing but I've been interested in a D&D style experience in the CoH world ever since. I watch Geek and Syndre do their live D&D sessions on twitch. LOL!

I wouldn't be able to join regularly, if it all. It'll just depend on how everything plays out I guess.

*Edited to add* As far as rule sets go, has anyone had any experience with "OVA: The Anime Role-Playing Game?" From the description I read about it in "OtakuUSA" it seemed kinda flexable?

Shadeknight

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 01:20:00 AM »
Anyone who has sent me a friend request has been accepted and sent an invite to the group.

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 03:30:07 AM »
FASERIP! FASERIP!!!

I loved that system.

(But seriously, though, this all sounds interesting.)

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 04:39:46 AM »
FASERIP! FASERIP!!!

I loved that system.

(But seriously, though, this all sounds interesting.)
Seriously, if I weren't developing a system specifically around what exists in game, I would TOTALLY vouch for this system. It's simple and all you need is percentile dice. Even the power system is comparable when you take into account Power Stunts in the Powers you can select.

Seriously, I love this system. The character creation is a little random and hinky (you can have Thor or get stuck with Paste Pot Pete based on rolls, but other than that it's fantastic in its streamlined approach, simplicity, and total grasp of the comic book hero/villain dynamic- A lot of Comic writers today should probably read it to tell the truth...)

Lyc~

Shadeknight

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 11:28:07 PM »
The voting is up on the Steam group, but we're still wide open for people to join. Group is here http://steamcommunity.com/groups/PCPAP

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2015, 08:00:31 AM »
Yup! The more the merrier! If you're interested in playing, helping GM, volunteer to play an "NPC" for the fun of it... whatever, hop over there! :D

Lyc~

Shadeknight

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 07:38:48 PM »
As a note guys, this is still going to go down. Right now a big deal for us is the 1.0 update which should introduce dice rolling.

Acanous

• Beef Ingot
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 07:00:42 PM »
Community is invite only. Invite meh. Acanous/Keeperofthethirdgate

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 07:19:10 PM »
ICONS is a fairly basic get up and go PnP system, but there are others. I have a few on the shelf right now from my now abandoned attempt to make my own game. Mutants and Masterminds, ICON, Marvel Heroic, etc. I'd be more than happy to send them someone's way if it'll help (or pick up a few supplements off Amazon).

I'd love to use the existing numbers. So many of us min/maxers have them memorized. How deep do you want to the systems to go? Inherent regeneration and recovery were two nice things about CoH during fights. Most other RPGs just tell you to suck it up until the fight is over.

EDIT: Can we share AE stories somehow? We can't publish them but it would be a good way to work on stuff/writing when others aren't around. They can work offline with Icon as well.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

BluArcher

• Underling
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 08:38:29 AM »
I'm interested in doing this but i might need some coaching since the only p&p i ever played is D&D and aberrant.

Shadeknight

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 01:16:24 PM »
With the dice roll system in PC, this will move forward. Voting on the system to use will end this Saturday.

Add me on Steam and I'll get you into the group.

BluArcher

• Underling
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2015, 07:24:42 PM »
With the dice roll system in PC, this will move forward. Voting on the system to use will end this Saturday.

Add me on Steam and I'll get you into the group.

says your friends list is full
here is my steam id http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198079777649

Shadeknight

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 07:44:07 PM »
I will fix that then, woops.

Shadeknight

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 11:44:24 PM »
Should be able to add me to friends now.

The vote has closed, and we will be using the M&M system. I will be announcing here and on the group how character sheets will work and where we'll store them this weekend with any luck.

BluArcher

• Underling
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 03:20:53 AM »
Should be able to add me to friends now.

The vote has closed, and we will be using the M&M system. I will be announcing here and on the group how character sheets will work and where we'll store them this weekend with any luck.

still says your full but you can just add me if you like i posted my ID in this thread already :)

Shadeknight

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 03:29:15 AM »
Odd, mine isn't full. I'll add ya tomorrow when I wake up.