Author Topic: Maybe we can have Paragon Scavenger Hunts?  (Read 3960 times)

morpheusalpha

• Underling
Maybe we can have Paragon Scavenger Hunts?
« on: July 10, 2015, 04:51:48 PM »
I mean, it'd just be something to fill in time while we are waiting, but having scavenger hunts could be fun.  Start at a regular time on a regular day with the first flag (character) standing under Atlas with a hint in their info about where the next flag is.  Something like "Find me in the back room of where we used to buy and sell goods in Hyperion Way" would be a clue to look in the back of the Auction House in Atlas Park.  It's not the same as a fully functional game, but it is something players could do to have fun.

Or, I suppose, the chat devs potentially could do this.  Once every so many days move created/named NPCs to places and when clicked on they give the hint to the next place where another NPC is.  "Go find Captain Azure at the back room of where we used to buy and sell goods in Hyperion Way" instead.  I dunno.  I just want something to do I suppose. :-p

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: Maybe we can have Paragon Scavenger Hunts?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 11:39:31 PM »
I mean, it'd just be something to fill in time while we are waiting, but having scavenger hunts could be fun.  Start at a regular time on a regular day with the first flag (character) standing under Atlas with a hint in their info about where the next flag is.  Something like "Find me in the back room of where we used to buy and sell goods in Hyperion Way" would be a clue to look in the back of the Auction House in Atlas Park.  It's not the same as a fully functional game, but it is something players could do to have fun.

Or, I suppose, the chat devs potentially could do this.  Once every so many days move created/named NPCs to places and when clicked on they give the hint to the next place where another NPC is.  "Go find Captain Azure at the back room of where we used to buy and sell goods in Hyperion Way" instead.  I dunno.  I just want something to do I suppose. :-p

Hmm...

Firi1

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 12:56:56 AM »
I see those wheels turning Arcana.... :p

I could see timers and leaderboards too... Oh my bad. Got side tracked by the ski hill. Overall it would be very transferable.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 01:11:19 AM »
I see those wheels turning Arcana.... :p

I could see timers and leaderboards too... Oh my bad. Got side tracked by the ski hill. Overall it would be very transferable.

Once I'm certain I have the basics all working and my understanding of the mechanics are complete, I'm committed to writing up a document that takes all of Codewalker's posted information, adds some XML and XMPP, dusts on some algorithmic candy sprinkles, and puts it all together into a guide to writing (simple) Paragon Chat bots.  I already have code that can connect to Paragon Chat, listen to chatting players, and respond to them when spoken to.  It can also track the locations of players as they broadcast that data in the Paragon Chat metadata channel.  I have other plans on where to take the bot technology next, but someone else could take that and easily make a bot that tracked players' locations and announced things in broadcast or some other channel.  You could make a Hide and Seek channel, and the bot could announce whenever someone stood within a fixed distance from a particular location, and send hints to that player as to where to go next.  No clicking things, but other than that its just a question of how much smarts you want to put into the bot, how many players you want to track, how precisely you intend to track them, how much work you want to put into scripting hints and gratzes.

The bot doesn't even have to be visible, which is the hardest part of making a Paragon Chat bot.  Invisible bots are easy.  Visible bot  requirements are much harder to  implement.

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 07:55:52 AM »
I think that's an awesome idea, morpheusalpha!

I was thinking about doing stuff like that as part of the non-combat oriented stuff for the in-game tabletop-like stuff. Though mine involved players volunteering to give out clues once you found them. ;) (again, I'm old-school since I don't know that programmy stuff)

Still, having them in there as something fun for everyone to do, just to do, with NPC's... I'd love that too! (I like playing just as much as I do GM'ing stuff, especially if it gives me a reason to wander and explore!)

Love the ideas you have for that, too Arcana! :D

Lyc~

extropymine

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 01:40:42 PM »
I used to run Treasure Hunts for my SG on our anniversary. I think I still have all the clues. Although at jogging speed, it's possible the Hunt would take a long time!

Still, it would be fun to do one again.

Crater Labs

• Trivia Champion 2016
  • Minion
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 07:07:37 PM »
Yeah, without even a Sprint speed, a scavenger hunt could take a while.

Meaning that the people who do them before Sprint shows up will be the greatest heroes who can brag about doing it later when they become easier.

extropymine

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 07:15:05 AM »

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 08:34:13 PM »
Oh, I like those, and I know the answers (well, I think I do on the middle one) :D

I won't say them just in case anyone else wants to solve them, too!

Lyc~