Author Topic: Looking in  (Read 4752 times)

bitmonkeyprime

• Underling
Looking in
« on: July 12, 2015, 06:46:32 AM »
Sadly.. i am still am able to get into the chat client. I have attempted all of the possible fixes suggested by Codewalker and Arcana ( thank you very much for the help btw ) .. and yet.. i am still denied the 'cake'. I am indeed the proverbial fat kid being teased by the moist luscious cake sitting just out of reach but everyone else is getting a slice of. Please.. if ANYONE can offer me any sort of assistance so that i may partake of the 'cake' as well.. i would be eternally grateful.

:: I am using 'Tequila', i have Windows 8... only have Windows firewall present ( even if it is disabled ) and i have the CoH folder on my desktop. I have even used the "-localhost" line in the options to change the server address. ::
" They say there is no pain greater than that of a broken heart. When I rip out that heart, they seem to change their opinions pretty quickly. "

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
Re: Looking in
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 12:13:34 PM »
I sympathize. It sucks when you're the "one guy".
But we really need to know exactly what you did from the moment of download to be of any help.
You can't be too specific either. ie - Don't just say you installed it, tell us "Installed it into c:Program Files". BTW, it shouldn't be installed into Program Files so right there we could help ya fix it.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

bitmonkeyprime

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 07:08:08 PM »
Originally, a friend of mine provided a link that would give me the Paragon Chat .exe file that gave me the launcher. I copied the old CoHbeta folder from my older machine and , originally, had placed it into the 'Programs' folder. From there, i placed the Paragon Chat file into the CoHBeta folder and executed the program. It loaded up without issue and got me all the way to the login screen. I began to sign in but when the 'Terms of Agreement' screen came up, it was the original NCSoft agreement page instead of the modified one. I conferred with my friends as to why this screen kept popping up and they could not find an answer. So I made sure that i retained a copy of the CoH folder and removed it from my laptop before agreeing to the agreement to see if it would work. When it did not, i completely removed/deleted both the CoH folder and the copy of Paragon Chat exe.

I then reinstalled the CoH folder and the paragon chat. Once i had recopied both back onto my laptop, i went through the same process and got back to the login screen without any issue. This time, i got the modified 'Terms of Agreement' page i should have gotten the first time. I logged in and got to the server selection screen which gave me the '127.0.0.2' address. When i selected this server, it stalled out and gave me a error message of ' Cannot connect to DBserver'. After consulting the forums here, i was directed to modify the address line by adding ' -localhost ' that changed the server address to ' 127.0.01 '. Sadly, this did not produce any different results.  I then looked to the forums for additional assistance, directly PMing Codewalker and the knowledgeable Arcana for help. They both suggested that i download the 'Tequila' program . This would give me updated files of the CoHBeta and paragon Chat. I logged into paragon chat through Tequila and got back to the sign in screen as i had before. I got to the server selection screen and again tried to get in. The log in stalled and i was given the 'cannot connect' error message. I was then instructed to adjust my firewall settings or disable it altogether to see if it would then allow me in. Once again, i got the same error message and this is where i currently am.

I do not know why this is not working and it has begun to be frustrating, especially as i read how some people how have never even had CoH to begin with able to get in and explore.  If you can suggest anything that i have not tried , please..do not hesitate to list it for me.. i REALLY want to experience the joy of being back in CoH again.

Thank you for your time and consideration 
" They say there is no pain greater than that of a broken heart. When I rip out that heart, they seem to change their opinions pretty quickly. "

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 08:41:45 PM »
I think completely uninstalling Avast is worth a try at least. It is one thing that many of the reports of 'Cannot connect to dbserver' have in common. I know it's working for some people, but as with all of those types of products, they hook into your system very deep so it's possible you have some component of it installed or some option toggled that's causing it to interfere even when you whitelist the program.

You can always reinstall it after the attempt, whether it makes a difference or not.

Floride

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 09:58:38 PM »
If the Avast uninstall doesn't work, just to get ya on tonight try this. Forget about moving anything from folder to folder now, leave that stuff where it's at. Here's hoping you got room on your hard drive.

Login to cohtitan.com, NOT cohtitan.com/forum, they are separate logins and passwords and you need to use the login and password for the root site.
If you can't login to the root site, that's the problem.
If you can login to the root site go to http://www.cohtitan.com/manage and scroll down to where it should say:
"Paragon Chat: Your account is linked! You can log into Titan's Paragon Chat server as (GlobalName)@chat.cohtitan.com."
For you it should read something like "bitmonkeyprime@cohtitan.com".

Download the full Tequila and install it into your My Documents folder. This will take time but we're just trying to get you on ASAP.

Then go into those new Tequila folders in your My Documents and run Tequila.exe.

In the box that pops up it should read "Paragon Chat v0.97c".

If it doesn't, close it and go HERE and dowload the current "ParagonChat.exe" file and paste it over the "ParagonChat.exe" file that's in the Tequila folder in your My Documents, then run that Tequila.exe again and in the box that pops up, it should read "Paragon Chat v0.97c".

If it does, click on "Paragon Chat v0.97c" and click "Play". Do not close this box.

A new box will pop up requesting a login and password. The login will be (GlobalName)@chat.cohtitan.com, spelled exactly how it told you on the site. The Password will be the password you used to get onto cohtitan.com (the root site).
Then click to Launch the game. Do not close this box either.

At the City of Heroes Freedom login screen, type in your Global name and any password (just make one up) and that should do it.

I'm running Win7 with free Avast and no problems, but as CW said, that's not proof Avast isn't the cause of your issue.

bitmonkeyprime

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 12:52:22 AM »
THANK YOU THANK YOU!!  I cannot thank you enough!.. unbelievably the fix was simply not to close any of the sign in windows. I got right in without any issue. even did a test to see if it was a fluke and when i close the windows, it stalls out again. So , truly,n my case at least, the fix was to just leave the login windows open. Thank you so much for all the help.

Floride

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 01:26:39 AM »
I was actually doing that the first couple tries too until I figured it out. You're welcome hero. Carry on!

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 06:40:15 AM »
THANK YOU THANK YOU!!  I cannot thank you enough!.. unbelievably the fix was simply not to close any of the sign in windows. I got right in without any issue. even did a test to see if it was a fluke and when i close the windows, it stalls out again. So , truly,n my case at least, the fix was to just leave the login windows open. Thank you so much for all the help.

Glad you got it working.

If it helps you understand why that happens, the ParagonChat window is a lot more than just the sign-in window. It's actually the pseudo-server itself that handles communication between the game and Titans XMPP server. If you kill that, the game has nothing to communicate with.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 07:46:06 AM »
I have added a specific warning NOT to close the Paragon Chat window when running Paragon Chat, as it will cause the kinds of problems discussed here, into my Common Questions and Problems thread.  So many people were having issues with accidentally keeping it running and starting another copy, it didn't occur to me there were people actually closing it after the CoH client started up.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 10:08:43 PM »
I have added a specific warning NOT to close the Paragon Chat window when running Paragon Chat, as it will cause the kinds of problems discussed here, into my Common Questions and Problems thread.  So many people were having issues with accidentally keeping it running and starting another copy, it didn't occur to me there were people actually closing it after the CoH client started up.

That was literally the first thing I wanted to do (turns out logging in & walking around was priority #1 for me). I was unsure if it would do anything, so I asked in the Paragon Chat channel, but my instinct was: "Ok, I have CoH open, can I close this other annoying & possibly extraneous window now?"
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Vr2Lrose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 10:16:13 PM »
Idea maybe once logged in a different window marked
Paragonchatserver do not close and a button marked reconnect
that people can hit to relaunch.