Author Topic: Paragon Chat Development Roadmap and Wishlist  (Read 219347 times)

crashpositron

• Elite Boss
Re: Paragon Chat Development Roadmap and Wishlist
« Reply #260 on: January 30, 2016, 09:07:54 PM »
Any chance of being able to use Icon commands in Paragon Chat?  It'd be nice to be able to spawn Statesman, Ghost Widow and other NPCs and use no_clip to explore

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #261 on: February 01, 2016, 09:21:34 PM »
On a private server, I imagine you could. However, imagine how disruptive that would be on the public server where everyone goes.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Golden Aurora

• Boss
« Reply #262 on: February 01, 2016, 10:13:15 PM »
That's a great idea for a feature.
As soon as it gets implemented I'm going to find you and /spawn Rularuu about fifty times or so.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #263 on: February 02, 2016, 02:03:21 AM »
On a private server, I imagine you could. However, imagine how disruptive that would be on the public server where everyone goes.

I'd love to see enough people on-line to cause that problem.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #264 on: February 02, 2016, 03:31:10 AM »
I'd love to see enough people on-line to cause that problem.
All it takes is one person. So, no, it's unlikely that Random Joe will get any kind of powers like that on the Titan version.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #265 on: February 02, 2016, 02:13:28 PM »
Could there be a way to make spawning ungreifable by requiring agreements to see other people's spawns?

Kind of like trades.

"User Golden Aurora has spawned NPC Rularuu(50). Ignore? Make this visible? Ignore all spawns by this user? Alway view spawns by this user?"

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #266 on: February 02, 2016, 02:40:04 PM »
That's all part of the planned private instance feature. Once you create a private instance on a specific map, you're the owner of that instance and can spawn things, disable clipping, etc. You have GM power on that map. It's opt-in, because for other people to get there they have to make a conscious decision to either go to the instance if it's flagged public, or to accept your invitation of it's private.

Spawning stuff locally that only you can see if fairly easy. Synchronizing the NPC information over XMPP so other people can see it is the hard part.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #267 on: February 03, 2016, 12:11:19 PM »
The 'GM' powers and spawn NPCs on your 'own' map is one of the Paragon Chat features I'm looking forward to (that and the 'teaming'/ 'green' chat feature.)

Interesting that you say to spawn NPCs that only 'you' can see locally is quite 'easy' but the hard part is synching it over Paragon Chat so everybody can see the NPCs spawned.  Makes sense, I guess.

I wonder, will those GM powers allow 'random' seeding of NPCs?  Or to place a cluster of 'Outcast' on a street corner on a Steel Canyon map or even save the map so the NPCs will still be there next or will they auto wipe/disappear each time..?  Will it work like in Icon with single spawn commands?

Any clues as to what the LUA scripting (client side..?) will be for?  *Looks curiously...

Azrael.

NoreLineas

• Underling
« Reply #268 on: February 07, 2016, 01:40:49 AM »
Having the 'Team' feature so you can track other players on a map, or at least see where they are would be most helpful.  Otherwise it's like 'I'm on the east side, but the light pole that faces south, with the crate that's near a trash bag.'

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #269 on: February 07, 2016, 04:31:08 AM »
Having the 'Team' feature so you can track other players on a map, or at least see where they are would be most helpful.  Otherwise it's like 'I'm on the east side, but the light pole that faces south, with the crate that's near a trash bag.'
MARCO!
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #270 on: February 07, 2016, 07:48:55 AM »
I think that it might be fun to have snowball fights, coolant fights, fire extinisgher fights and throw a disc from player to player.  Non-damage PvP system.
Any chance of something like that happening.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #271 on: February 07, 2016, 01:35:06 PM »
I think that it might be fun to have snowball fights, coolant fights, fire extinisgher fights and throw a disc from player to player.  Non-damage PvP system.
Any chance of something like that happening.

Sure, they just need to write a functional powers system, targeting system, powers effects, particle effects, models, animations...

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #272 on: February 07, 2016, 07:30:25 PM »

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #273 on: February 14, 2016, 07:26:46 PM »
Sure, they just need to write a functional powers system, targeting system, powers effects, particle effects, models, animations...

Sounds great, can't wait.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #274 on: February 27, 2016, 06:24:38 PM »
Sounds great, can't wait.

Not sure if serious...

A.k.a.: Sure! See you in 2 to 3 years
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #275 on: March 01, 2016, 03:45:04 PM »
Can I ask what primary feature you're working on at present for the next patch?  ;)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #276 on: March 01, 2016, 06:24:27 PM »
Mostly I've been working on the paragonchat_1_0 branch, which has 92 commits since it was branched and about 21,000 lines of code added or touched in some way.

Before you get all excited, almost all of that is stuff that while I might think it's really cool, most people probably won't care about. It's not terribly exciting from an end-user perspective, except that it lays the groundwork for adding more exciting features later.

Some highlights include:

Tighter integration with the COH client. At first this is just to fix some issues like the 127.0.0.2 problem on WinXP and macs, but it's done in a way that opens the door for more interesting things.
Multithreaded data loading for faster startup.
Improving the new user experience -- making it easier to install Paragon Chat and locate your COH files for it to use.
Complete separation from the Issue 24 beta install directory. Paragon Chat reads the files from there, but now lives completely in its own location and never needs to write anything to the COH folder. This helps avoid UAC issues for people who still have it under Program Files.
User interface improvements and polish.
Better debug logging and lots of other features to aid in development.
Fixing and cleaning up a lot of stuff that was rushed in order to get Paragon Chat usable enough to be beta-worthy, and doing it the right way.
Fixing most of the issues with long path names and non-ASCII characters in directory names.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #277 on: March 01, 2016, 07:05:17 PM »
Mostly I've been working on the paragonchat_1_0 branch, which has 92 commits since it was branched and about 21,000 lines of code added or touched in some way.

Before you get all excited, almost all of that is stuff that while I might think it's really cool, most people probably won't care about. It's not terribly exciting from an end-user perspective, except that it lays the groundwork for adding more exciting features later.

Some highlights include:

Tighter integration with the COH client. At first this is just to fix some issues like the 127.0.0.2 problem on WinXP and macs, but it's done in a way that opens the door for more interesting things.
Improving the new user experience -- making it easier to install Paragon Chat and locate your COH files for it to use.
Complete separation from the Issue 24 beta install directory. Paragon Chat reads the files from there, but now lives completely in its own location and never needs to write anything to the COH folder. This helps avoid UAC issues for people who still have it under Program Files.
Fixing and cleaning up a lot of stuff that was rushed in order to get Paragon Chat usable enough to be beta-worthy, and doing it the right way.
Fixing most of the issues with long path names and non-ASCII characters in directory names.

Thank you for the reply, it sounds like you have your hands full for the time being  :) Keep up the good work!

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #278 on: March 04, 2016, 09:48:44 AM »

Some highlights include:

92 Commits?  What are 'commits?'  *curiously.

(21,000 lines/edits of code is some going.) 

Azrael.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #279 on: March 04, 2016, 01:59:55 PM »
Commit is defined here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Version_control#Structure

Also, the 21,000 LOC estimate does exclude 3 files in particular that had a total of 335,953 lines added. However, those files are autogenerated by a script, so I don't count them (but I do count the contents of the script itself).