Author Topic: XMPP was unable to connect!  (Read 16742 times)

majordeej

• Minion
    • Major Deej Universe
XMPP was unable to connect!
« on: July 13, 2015, 10:08:40 PM »
OK, I've gone through the forums as best I can.  I've followed the procedures.

I already had COH Issue 24 loaded on C:\CoH Issue24 Beta\CoHBeta. 
I loaded Tequila.  Files verified. Had no verification errors. 
I verified that Paragon Chat exe is in the C:\CoH Issue24 Beta\CoHBeta (same folder as the cityofheroes.exe).
I have my Titan Network account (for awhile).  I've verified that the username listed is the one to be used in Paragon Chat login. The Titan website identified that I have access to Paragon Chat in the list of all the Titan Network programs.
I log into Paragon Chat and get:

Make sure that your XMPP login info is correct.

What am I missing, oh awesomesauces of the COHverse??  I yearn to walk amongst you, yet I have been at wits end for days in resolving this (plus some VERY long workdays and weekends of late).

I have never asked for help, being proud to find the answers myself, but I'm stuck and dying on the other side of the screen to be back home with all of you!

HELP PLEASE!

Yours,
Don "Major Deej" Finger
Creator of Major Deej Universe
http://majordeejuniverse.com
Home of Major Deej Comics and characters!

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
Re: XMPP was unable to connect!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 12:09:00 AM »
Hi, Major Deej.

In the Titan Icon Installer for Windows: Tequila! thread, Leandro posted:

1) Download Tequila in a folder that you have write permissions to. Unless you have disabled UAC (and if you don't know what that means, you haven't) put it on a folder under My Documents or Application Data. It will save you many headaches. Don't use a folder under Program Files unless you know exactly what you're doing.

2) Optional: if this folder already has a COH installation, Tequila will only download the files that need updating, and not the whole game. So, if you have an Issue 24 install, move all the files into the same folder as Tequila (cityofheroes.exe should be in the same folder as Tequila). An Issue 23 install will need updating, but some of the files might still be good, so it doesn't hurt to try.

If you are using Windows, installing Tequila and CoH under My Documents is the key. Good luck.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 01:09:59 AM »
OK, I've gone through the forums as best I can.  I've followed the procedures.

I already had COH Issue 24 loaded on C:\CoH Issue24 Beta\CoHBeta. 
I loaded Tequila.  Files verified. Had no verification errors. 
I verified that Paragon Chat exe is in the C:\CoH Issue24 Beta\CoHBeta (same folder as the cityofheroes.exe).
I have my Titan Network account (for awhile).  I've verified that the username listed is the one to be used in Paragon Chat login. The Titan website identified that I have access to Paragon Chat in the list of all the Titan Network programs.
I log into Paragon Chat and get:

Make sure that your XMPP login info is correct.

What am I missing, oh awesomesauces of the COHverse??  I yearn to walk amongst you, yet I have been at wits end for days in resolving this (plus some VERY long workdays and weekends of late).

I have never asked for help, being proud to find the answers myself, but I'm stuck and dying on the other side of the screen to be back home with all of you!

HELP PLEASE!

Yours,
Don "Major Deej" Finger

You could try to see if a normal chat client will connect.  If it won't, then there's probably a problem with your Titan account that may need to be fixed (some people have reported such issues).  Try downloading pidgin (https://pidgin.im/) and configuring it to connect to the Paragon Chat server.  Add new account, select XMPP as the protocol, use your login name (short version without the @) as account name, chat.cohtitan.com as the domain, no resource, enter password, and then add the account.  Then go to Tools, Room List, and in the panel select Get list.  Accept paragon.chat.cohtitan.com as the conference server, and Find Rooms.  You should see a bunch of rooms with names that look like zone names, and one called "paragonchat" among others.  The zone name looking rooms are the broadcast channels for those zones, and the paragonchat room is the initial globalchat channel everyone is initially joined to when they first log into Paragon Chat.

If this works, then your login information is correct and working, and the problem is something involving Paragon Chat.  If this doesn't work, your login information is wrong, you're typoing it, there's something wrong with your Titan account and may require an admin to fix, or something is blocking XMPP chat on your computer or in your ISP connection.

gammagirl

• Minion
  • Gamma Gamma Hey!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 02:56:58 PM »
I just started having this problem today as well.  Everything has been fine since release then suddenly today, bam this same error

Vr2Lrose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 06:16:51 PM »
yesterday CohTitan did a password upgrade so go to cohtitan change your password see if that helps

xmpp cannot connect messages typically mean password or jid typo ive noticed
now if your xmpp window is litterally crashing like mine is thats another issue completly.

gammagirl

• Minion
  • Gamma Gamma Hey!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 09:23:08 PM »
My problem was very very typically Gamma. I was capitalizing a letter I should not have been.  It sucks having a near genius iq but also being an airhead.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 09:27:28 PM »
It sucks having a near genius iq but also being an airhead.

It depends on which side of genius you're near.

Vr2Lrose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 09:40:07 PM »
glad you  found the  issue,  The  login  shouldn't be case sensitive.  but if it  worked for you.
maybe this issue is  I have a number in my login... hmmm

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 02:37:16 AM »
I don't think the number is the issue considering I did all of my paragon chat development using the accounts test1@, test2@, test3@...

Vr2Lrose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 03:04:36 AM »
i remade my cohtitan account and im able to get in. the new account gets in every time and the Vr2LRose account crashes every time. using  same characters/binds/settings  ect....

if its not  the number maybe it was caps. maybe only numbers in the middle of the names are buggy or maybe my old cohtitan account was corrupt in some way though i did try resetting the password after i started crashing.   

My Vr2lrose account is still there and i will be happy to help with testing in any way if needed.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 06:35:54 AM by Vr2Lrose »

Vulcanetix

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 05:41:09 AM »
Howdy folks, Not real familiar with forums so I hope this is at least close to the right thread to post this problem.  I downloaded and installed Tequila (Windows) and ran it to get all the game files needed for paragon chat.  Once the files were finished I made sure paragon chat was highlighted and clicked "play" which started Paragon Chat Beta.  I entered my Titan acct info which is linked to paragon chat and clicked "Launch City of Heroes" which started CoH.  I entered a username (Single word capitalized) and a password (8 characters including a single capital letter and a digit) and clicked "Log In" which took me to a server selection screen with a single server labeled as 127.0.0.2 .  Each time I click on the server, after several minutes I get the a pop-up "Cannot connect to DBserver".  Any Ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 06:43:25 AM »
Most common reasons that is showing up:

A) You have Windows XP. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any real resolution for this.
2) You are closing the Paragon Chat window after launching City of Heroes. To resolve: don't close Paragon Chat window.
III) Your antivirus and/or UAC is/are being a turd. To resolve: whitelist paragonchat.exe in your antivirus and make sure you're either on an Admin user or run the programs as admin (right-click, run as admin).
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 08:31:02 AM »
Howdy folks, Not real familiar with forums so I hope this is at least close to the right thread to post this problem.  I downloaded and installed Tequila (Windows) and ran it to get all the game files needed for paragon chat.  Once the files were finished I made sure paragon chat was highlighted and clicked "play" which started Paragon Chat Beta.  I entered my Titan acct info which is linked to paragon chat and clicked "Launch City of Heroes" which started CoH.  I entered a username (Single word capitalized) and a password (8 characters including a single capital letter and a digit) and clicked "Log In" which took me to a server selection screen with a single server labeled as 127.0.0.2 .  Each time I click on the server, after several minutes I get the a pop-up "Cannot connect to DBserver".  Any Ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

Check out my Common Questions and Problems thread here, and see if any of those suggestions or options helps.  Let me know what you discover, if anything.

Vulcanetix

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 05:56:01 PM »
Check out my Common Questions and Problems thread here, and see if any of those suggestions or options helps.  Let me know what you discover, if anything.
Thank you and Thank you Aggelakis... It was an issue with my firewall.  I am running Windows XP and between XP's firewall and ZoneAlarm I believe that was the issue.  For now I've disabled them both and I'm able to get in.  I will troubleshoot later and see if I can narrow it down to one or the other

Thanks again

Vr2Lrose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 02:25:58 AM »
Interesting development.

so today my new  with no numbers account was  crashing paragonchat.exe 
and the vr2lrose account was also...   

so i deleted the no number account remade it exactly as it  was and i can get in  no problem. 
with the no number account...but the vr2lrose one still crashes things,  (ive changed its PW a few times no help)

so something is corrupting  my login accounts,  but  this does  verify it is not the  number.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 02:37:29 AM »
If you can get the second account into a state where it's crashing it reliably, and can set the password to something you're not using elsewere, please PM me the login and pasword if you don't mind. I'd like to try to reproduce the crash in an environment where I can debug it.

Vr2Lrose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 03:40:07 AM »
good thought if the  second account goes crashy again Ill reset the password and get you that  info.
its working at the moment cause i remade it.  I am a bit hesitant to hand over the primary account ( which is crashing reliably) cause i still use it for  forums.  but if  the secondary  corrupted once  i'm sure it will do it again.

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 03:04:34 PM »
I am a bit hesitant to hand over the primary account ( which is crashing reliably) cause i still use it for  forums.

Yeah, it's not like Codewalker has full access to the Titan servers and can access all the data in your account without the password anyway...  :P

Vr2Lrose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 10:11:14 PM »
hey you never know... He is pritty amazing.  I just wish i had thought of it before just remaking tge alt account.   but this could be a good thing also as  if it happens a third time there may be a clue to the cause. Cause last time i have no idea ive been avoiding adding emotes and stuff and i wasnt even online the day prior.

Edit: I can get in now with my primary account thanks to codewalker's help.  My obsessive need to add people to pidgin is my downfall.  make sure if you adding friends via exterior xmpps  like pidgin you include the global@chat.cohtitan.com  not just Global Of course knowing codewalker this will be patched faster than it will matter.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 04:22:06 AM by Vr2Lrose »

K3BGamer

• Underling
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 05:26:26 AM »
I think I followed the directions pretty well but keep getting "The game client was unable to connect to the login server" (from Tequila) or "XMPP was unable to connect" from ParagonChat.
And from Pidgin... You could try to see if a normal chat client will connect.  If it won't, then there's probably a problem with your Titan account that may need to be fixed (some people have reported such issues).  Try downloading pidgin (https://pidgin.im/) and configuring it to connect to the Paragon Chat server.  Add new account, select XMPP as the protocol, use your login name (short version without the @) as account name, chat.cohtitan.com as the domain, no resource, enter password, and then add the account.  Then go to Tools,

Right up to this point works Ok -THEN the Rooms List option is greyed out.  Deep Sigh!  Please someone have pity on this unworthy gamer and show me the way to enlightenment... or at least how to get in to CoH.  :)

Room List, and in the panel select Get list.  Accept paragon.chat.cohtitan.com as the conference server, and Find Rooms.  You should see a bunch of rooms with names that look like zone names, and one called "paragonchat" among others.  The zone name looking rooms are the broadcast channels for those zones, and the paragonchat room is the initial globalchat channel everyone is initially joined to when they first log into Paragon Chat.

If this works, then your login information is correct and working, and the problem is something involving Paragon Chat.  If this doesn't work, your login information is wrong, you're typoing it, there's something wrong with your Titan account and may require an admin to fix, or something is blocking XMPP chat on your computer or in your ISP connection.