Author Topic: [PCRS] The Player Conflict Resolution System  (Read 5639 times)

Shadeknight

• Lieutenant
[PCRS] The Player Conflict Resolution System
« on: July 16, 2015, 03:52:16 AM »
P.C.R.S
Player Conflict Resolution System

P.C.R.S is a initiative of sorts to create a conflict resolution system that is both simple and easy to use. The entire point behind creating this is to allow people the ability to text fight in a manner that does not cause headaches and more. With any luck, you stay IC more than OOC, unless there is a need to clarify attacks or more. Bear in mind, this system may change based on what we have access to in Paragon Chat.

As a reminder, everything in here will be a rough draft sort of state until said otherise. Also note that this will be OPTIONAL and no one should force you into using this.

Let's start off with the characters themselves.

Ideal Character "Stats"
Health - A simple thing. All characters will start off with the same health. The base number of this system will be 15, so that it doesn't drag on for too long. Optionally, two participants can set it higher at the risk of taking longer to whittle it down. At 0 health, the fight is typically over and either knockout blow or killing blow may be struck. However, it must be taken into account the location. Killing blows in the middle of Atlas Park may not make as much sense as a killing blow in some far corner of Nerva Archipelago.

Armor - A small bonus to the health pool, armor simply means you have a tiny boost to health in armor form. This can easily be removed (it will be explained later) but often has a cap of 5. So if you're following the 15 health system, then you have 20 health in total. Armor plays a part in defensive rolls.

Stamina - A means to prevent super dodgers (Exceptions may be applied), Stamina is a 10-limit system that prevents people from just dodging every attack for the most part. The number can be tweaked, but it simply drains for anytime a character dodges and it is below a threshold roll.

Now, if people wish to adjust the numbers then such can be done from player to player. Bear in mind, the idea is that everyone is equal in the "main" stats. The rest is up to the rolls, since that is the only safe way to dictate hits, misses, and successful dodges/blocks. While that may not be accurate to the character in itself, it prevents the OOC into IC or vice versa. Also, I would advise that people be clear with their emotes during conflict. If the attack sounds vague, that is going to leave someone confused. Get the details out, and then let the roll solve the rest.

The Dice Rolls
Now, this section will be updated once more is known about the diceroller command that's coming "soon". If it allows for up to 100, then a d20 and a d100 system will be put through.

Modifiers

QUESTIONS/ANSWERS

But what about powers, items, and the likes?
To include those into how to factor rolls (modifiers, etc) can be done, but that will not be part of the PCRS at first. But I'd advise talking to the participants if this system is used. If they can agree to, say, a sword granting +1 to attack rolls or a shield +1 to defense rolls? Neat. An optional system of powers & character equipment will be put up at a later date that people can tweak as they please if need be.

UPCOMING
  • The dice roll explanation (This week or the next)
  • Modifiers (Potentially)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 08:08:32 PM by Shadeknight »

gammagirl

• Minion
  • Gamma Gamma Hey!
Re: [PCRS] The Player Conflict Resolution System
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 12:19:39 PM »
I think something like this is mandatory, imho

Shadeknight

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 12:34:49 PM »
I'm going to start working on a first draft version, so people have a better idea of what is the aim for such a thing.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 12:35:45 PM »
The answer is easy. I roll a six, and everyone is defeated! ;)

But seriously, yes... Something like this is needed.

Antipode

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 12:46:21 PM »
I'm provisionally for this, but simultaneously cautious about it.  I think we could definitely make use of the system so long as it doesn't have to be an overarcing thing applied by default to every scenario. Some of my characters are just going to lose some fights regardless of almost anything they do.  Some might dominate a battle from the get-go (actually, more like one is actually competent, now that I think about it).  I rely on cohesion and trust from other roleplayers to help govern those moments, and there's at least some part of me that frets on whether or not a system which gives us all equality might lessen that.

Summarizing what I'm saying, I don't intend to be getting into combats much with other people right now (I'm not too fight-y, I swear!), but if I did...I think in most situations I'd be using text.

I imagine this is meant to just be conflict resolution in the event neither roleplayer can agree on an even match or feels a lack of confidence/faith/commonality/whatever between them and the other party, not intended as an all-encompassing supplantation? 

Shadeknight

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 01:00:15 PM »
Yes, this is only for those who cannot agree on even matching OR the lack of trust/confidence/faith, etc. It is also here for anyone to use by default if they so choose but do not fall into the former categories. But it's completely optional, and should not be pressed onto anyone.

The simple idea is to make something that is easy for conflicts to be resolved in a mostly IC manner. I've seen RP fights devolve into 'u cant do this 'no i can dodge everything but u cant' etc. It's a bit...harrowing. I'll be tinkering with it quite a bit to have it be fairly simple, and may down the line introduce a bit more complicated system for those interested.

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 01:09:41 PM »
Looks like an even more shaved down version of the one I suggested on the Steam forums.

I approve. We need something out there :)

Lyc~

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 01:54:18 PM »
Yes, this is only for those who cannot agree on even matching OR the lack of trust/confidence/faith, etc. It is also here for anyone to use by default if they so choose but do not fall into the former categories. But it's completely optional, and should not be pressed onto anyone.

The simple idea is to make something that is easy for conflicts to be resolved in a mostly IC manner. I've seen RP fights devolve into 'u cant do this 'no i can dodge everything but u cant' etc. It's a bit...harrowing. I'll be tinkering with it quite a bit to have it be fairly simple, and may down the line introduce a bit more complicated system for those interested.

What I've usually done with RP fights is come to agreement of the outcome with the other party beforehand, make sure everyone's happy with everything, then you can freeform to your hearts content. :)

Shadeknight

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 02:16:51 PM »
With certain players, I myself have no problem with that. But I'm also just...jaded? by experiences in both CoH and other RP areas. It's hard to know who would be fine with a set outcome and then freeforming it.

But then again, I probably haven't met the right people.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 02:19:45 PM »
With certain players, I myself have no problem with that. But I'm also just...jaded? by experiences in both CoH and other RP areas. It's hard to know who would be fine with a set outcome and then freeforming it.

But then again, I probably haven't met the right people.

It works better with friends, but it's very much a quid pro quo process.

Shadeknight

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 02:27:41 PM »
I have an issue with getting along with people :P

But yeah, It definitely would work better with friends. But having this should provide a nice alternative once I'm finished with the simple version of what I have in mind.

Shadeknight

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 01:16:54 PM »
With the dice roll system in PC, I'll be finishing this up soon for those who care to use it.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 09:09:27 PM »
Couldn't people just agree like, if they are going to dice role things, allow for like 5 hits max on a player before loss or something simple?
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Vr2Lrose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 09:54:10 PM »
Yeah ive seen it in action in the D.
people who have issues with godmoding
ALSO seem to have issues with dice
They just flat out refuse to play nice

often using the justification im way less
powerful than most <enter OP species here>
THIS is the reason  most mmorpers will ignore
players that are not a human merc/noble.
THIS is why we cant have creative concepts.

Noone is expecting you to permadeath here just
go ow it hurts it stings and fly back against a wall
then slink away if you lose. 

If you are playing a powerful entity against a weak one
and want to dice it out. gove the powerhouse a d20
and the weak guy a d10 or even a d6 for contested rolls.
just to judge those points where sheer luck wins or
powers glitch.

Glitchy powers can be just as fun to rp if not moreso.
cause it makes you think on your feet. if your character
gets KOed have him recalled to a hospital.  no need
to die.

sorry to vent but in mybopinion if you cannot resist
godmoding autohitting/autododging   AND you refuse
to use dice/paper-Scissor-Rock/ or some other agreed on randomizer

Then don't fight just laugh and walk away.