Author Topic: Keep Losing Connection to Map Server  (Read 5813 times)

Benedetto

• Underling
Keep Losing Connection to Map Server
« on: July 18, 2015, 08:11:07 AM »
About every 15 seconds I "lose connection to map server"- I run on Mac so I have Island rum. It wasn't a problem yesterday but today it really is. There was a moment where we were told to put a sudo in the command terminal which helped us to login into the server but now another problem must've sprung up. My ISP/wifi is just dandy, it's not a connectivity problem from here.

Any solutions?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Keep Losing Connection to Map Server
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 02:05:17 AM »
Moved out of the Icon folder, since this is not an Icon issue.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

OMCS

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 11:37:11 PM »
There was a moment where we were told to put a sudo in the command terminal which helped us to login into the server

Just for the record, I believe the terminal command you mentioned was my suggestion. I'm not directly involved with either Paragon Chat or Island Rum - I'm just a player (who happens to be a software engineer) and I thought I'd share my temporary workaround.

With that said, I've had a fair number of "Lost Conection to Mapserver" errors myself but nothing that has rendered the game unplayable. Due to the distributed architecture of Paragon Chat I was assuming a certain amount of networking issues were to be expected, but I've not had a chance to use it on Windows and compare.

I'd recommend waiting for a new version of Island Rum which may well solve some issues. Until then it's good to see more Mac users getting back into the city!

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 01:04:45 AM »
Certain software such as remote desktop tools, vpn, and torrent software, can take priority over City of Heroes in the network stack. even if this software is sitting idle, it can still cause issues. I know on Windows, Cryptic studios games like STO have a lot of problems with TeamViewer software doing this.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 02:10:26 PM »
Note that if you're getting the blue "Lost connection to Mapserver" message in the game client, that has nothing to do with your actual network connection.

That message indicates a communication problem between the COH client and Paragon Chat's translation layer that runs on your computer. All of that happens over the loopback adapter and is unaffected by your network connection.

If you lose the connection to the XMPP server, you won't get the LCM message, but instead will either see players stop moving, and eventually get an "XMPP link disconnected" message in the chat window and see other players disappear.

The main reason you'll see this message is if Paragon Chat either is closed or crashes (though I haven't seen very many reports about PC itself crashing). If it happens intermittently while your system is busy, there may be resource contention causing the COH client and Paragon Chat to fight over limited resources. Low memory is the most likely suspect, as both require quite a bit of RAM. That's mostly unavoidable for now as PC needs to load a copy of the zone geometry in order to properly handle movement messages.

One edge case I know about is that if you have the debug window open, dragging the scroll bar in the console window freezes the entire Paragon Chat process and will result in a 'lost connection to mapserver' state until you release the mouse button. That's just Windows and there isn't anything I can do about it, so that one boils down to "don't do that".

Sixheadeddog

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 05:42:20 AM »
Entirely unrelated: one of the powersets I thought looked really cool, but that I never got to play around with much when CoH was online, was the Mastermind power set Necromancy.

Hey! I'm having this issue, and it's multiple years later! Does anyone have a Mac-side work-around for it, because it's kind of annoying and really sucks the wind out of my sails when I'm all excited to tour around Paragon City again.

Youbseep

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 09:41:28 AM »
everyone experienced it just get use to it

Dr. Saturn

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 04:51:18 AM »
I am also having connection issues and I am also playing on Mac. "Lost Connection to Map Server" comes up every 15 to 20 seconds and it's kind of annoying. Maybe it's a lack of RAM on my computer? I have 8 MB of it and Activity Monitor shows most of it is full.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 05:56:06 AM »
Ever since I began base building my PC has closed out on me in the middle of base editing, most annoying.

Windows 7, 32GB of RAM, no error messages, program just closes.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!