Author Topic: Daytime! Nighttime! Daytime! Nighttime!  (Read 2433 times)

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
Daytime! Nighttime! Daytime! Nighttime!
« on: July 22, 2015, 09:01:03 PM »
Okay, admittedly, I only spent like a 20 minutes to a half hour in PC last night (during which I got to see some wonderful nightscapes I don't recall having seen in-game before), but it got me wondering-

What are the day/night cycles in-game based on? The local time in the XMPP server (presumably?) or is it local to your system (in which case everyone isn't necessarily seeing the same day/night schedule).

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Re: Daytime! Nighttime! Daytime! Nighttime!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 10:07:03 PM »
It's local to your system, but it's based on UTC, which means that your local time zone does not affect it. So long as everybody's clock is reasonably close to correct, they should be seeing the same time of day ingame.

It's a 30-minute cycle, so it should still be the same even if the wrong time zone is set, unless it's one of the four places in the world that use a 15 minute offset in their time zone.

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 10:47:09 PM »
Oh, cool. That last bit was the one I was most curious about, whether it was cycling in real time or not (I know the game didn't cycle that way, but wasn't sure if that had something to do with the way it was because the servers told it to do that, or if it was hard coded that way.)

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 03:46:26 PM »
It's a 30-minute cycle, so it should still be the same even if the wrong time zone is set, unless it's one of the four places in the world that use a 15 minute offset in their time zone.

A list of non whole-hour offsets, for those that are curious: http://www.timeanddate.com/time/time-zones-interesting.html
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame