Author Topic: Supergroups in Paragon Chat  (Read 15616 times)

Tipsy

• Lieutenant
Supergroups in Paragon Chat
« on: August 04, 2015, 11:27:45 PM »
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 04:50:04 AM by Tipsycakes »

Jerricha

• Underling
  • In the future, all phones will be invisible
Re: Supergroups in Paragon Chat
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 11:38:44 PM »
inb4 XMPP chat bots that manage your supergroup

Tipsy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 12:04:02 AM »
inb4 XMPP chat bots that manage your supergroup

What do you mean?

Eventine01

• Underling
  • Cole did nothing wrong!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 12:07:45 AM »
Absolutely. Considering the core concept of a SG is just a group of people who like spending time together and talking together, as long as there's a safe place to chat, it's never too early for one.

Have one working right now, actually. We get along splendidly, we've got a few events in the works, we RP together frequently, and we've been helping each other with the complicated DB editing. Plus, we're the coolest people in the world, so that's nice.

Shadeknight

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 12:27:21 AM »
I have something cooked for those who want to do something more serious and mature - but I've been holding off because of other obligations and I've been splitting myself across attempted things to no avail.

I did want to revive one of my old SGs (Silver Aegis >.>) but I figured that's a can of worms to keep closed right now.

Tipsy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 12:29:53 AM »
I have something cooked for those who want to do something more serious and mature - but I've been holding off because of other obligations and I've been splitting myself across attempted things to no avail.

I did want to revive one of my old SGs (Silver Aegis >.>) but I figured that's a can of worms to keep closed right now.

Shade, as you know Oblique & Mirth were in SA back then.  Regardless of that group's future, hit me up for RP when you'd like.

http://www.virtueverse.net/wiki/User:Swither

davpa

• Underling
    • Entropy Legion VG in Virtue
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 03:21:20 AM »
The Virtue villain SG, the Entropy Legion, has been gathering and doing regular RPs so far.  I know we would like to "cement" it by having our title and, eventually, our SG Hideout again.  More than anything, that is the part of the SG I really only care about, the Base.  For the Entropy Legion, the Hideout was another character in the group. 
If life closes a door, open it back up.  That is how doors work.

Jerricha

• Underling
  • In the future, all phones will be invisible
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 07:47:36 AM »
What do you mean?

I was thinking about this the other week with Dyne, after she showed me Arcana's XMPP Python script. We could theoretically spin up an XMPP bot that manages an SG using the chat interface, instead of CoX's built-in services. The XMPP SG Bot would sends out announcements, add/remove members, manage permissions, can be queried for member data, stuff like that. Kinda curious to see how much of the old SG services Codewalker can implement.

Oh and me and Champagne were starting an ultra-elite chick-only villain group =) .. we still haven't decided on a name though =3

Tipsy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 11:24:37 PM »
The Virtue villain SG, the Entropy Legion, has been gathering and doing regular RPs so far.  I know we would like to "cement" it by having our title and, eventually, our SG Hideout again.  More than anything, that is the part of the SG I really only care about, the Base.  For the Entropy Legion, the Hideout was another character in the group.

While it's not particularly custom, I think considering all the maps we have access to, an SG could easily find an off-the-beaten-path mission map that would serve as a temporary stand-in SG base.

-Tipsy

Tipsy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 11:25:56 PM »
I was thinking about this the other week with Dyne, after she showed me Arcana's XMPP Python script. We could theoretically spin up an XMPP bot that manages an SG using the chat interface, instead of CoX's built-in services. The XMPP SG Bot would sends out announcements, add/remove members, manage permissions, can be queried for member data, stuff like that. Kinda curious to see how much of the old SG services Codewalker can implement.

Oh and me and Champagne were starting an ultra-elite chick-only villain group =) .. we still haven't decided on a name though =3

Your bot sounds pretty great.  Has CW and the team made any policy choices about running bots yet?

-Tipsy

BluArcher

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 02:15:24 AM »
you can add the danger rangers to the sg list...we have been on PC in one form or another since day 1

Tipsy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 02:47:56 AM »
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 04:50:50 AM by Tipsycakes »

FeliciaDivine

• Lieutenant
    • IMVU Fashion Elite
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 12:32:52 AM »
 What Time Is It? It's Time For ALL-OUT-WAR! RAWR!

Champion server from June 2007 until closing.
 ALL-OUT-WAR was one of the 2 largest sg's in CoH.
 (Stryke-Force - Lord Stryker was the first group)
 11 Divisions, 11 Leaders, over 600 members (not alts).
 Members are scattered throughout the multi-verse but we are still here...
 We have teams in Champions, DC and Marvel.
 Members on IMVU and Second Life chat sites.
 We hosted monthly costume contests, pvp events and...
 The 1 BILLION AE Contest...prizes for top 10 sg's...top prize 1 Billion...
 Protectors of Neverland won the event (XBudxwieserX team leader)

I am Coalition Manager and original 8 founding member!
 CoH is not dead...it is merely in transition!

You want to start an RP group on Paragon Chat I am all for it, I am on daily, feel free to global friend me ingame, leave me a personal message or leave a message here :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 03:43:42 PM by FeliciaDivine »

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 05:56:42 AM »
More than anything, that is the part of the SG I really only care about, the Base.  For the Entropy Legion, the Hideout was another character in the group.

Did you keep a demo recording of it? That would be the way to get it back just the way it was, once PC supports bases.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 05:20:49 AM »
Hmmm....been a long time since I was in a SG....even then- it was not big.
.....would be marvelous to re-create Bases we use to be in.

During the last few years of CoH, I enjoyed being allowed to visit other peoples bases.
to see their home decorating techniques :p

Magnus Hetch

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 01:35:52 PM »
Well for me if supergroups or SG's are implemented in the game I will for sure be interested but wether I lead or follow all depends on wether or not I will be able to build a base if so I have plans to ressurect 1 of 2 SG's I ran in CoH, undecided which of the 2 I will rebirth, the SG I was master of managed to get their base to tier 3 and hit the top 100 just before CoH ended, I would see that legacy restored

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 05:18:27 PM »
The thing I loved about bases in COH was that you could have/create more than one.  We had a really vast Base for our SG, the Dauntless Reverie, and it was frequently tweaked and added to as the base editing options evolved.  But I also had a small one designed to be a single-character apartment.  The flexibility of options was great, but best of all was being able to share / show it off to other players.  Once bases are possible again in Paragon Chat, I hope eventually we'll be able to invite others into them. 

And I'm soooo greatful to hear that bases can be recreated as they were from the data at the beginning of a demo-record of the bases.  I demo-recorded all our bases before shutdown, just for the memories - thank goodness I still have those files!

Did anyone else demo-record their SG bases, or activities that took place in them?

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 07:43:51 PM »
I recorded my base and was able to rebuild it in the test version of Paragon Chat.

Magnus Hetch

• Underling
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 06:00:44 AM »
The question I have is what function will super groups have, the few times I visited Paragon chat there were barely anybody there, the most I have seen were about 8, super groups would be great, bases even better but how will they be build? will they be free? will you need some form of currency and if so how will it be obtained, is there even a future for PC?  How is this even going to happen?  Are you folks out fighting Ncsoft fist to fist over permissions to use their material and if so what is the risk of them pulling the carpet out from under our feet, to be honest I just can't see myself dedicating time to something just to have it go away when I finally let myself get into it, NcSoft did that already

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 06:44:53 PM »
Not sure about supergroups, it's a planned thing but no idea when, especially since I've been slammed with both work and personal stuff and have had zero free time for the last couple months. It's something that's been requested; maybe someone can chime in as to what they would use it for.

Please be aware that bases are an entirely separate thing. The Paragon Chat implementation of bases doesn't require supergroups. If and when SGs are added, I'm sure an ability to have a shared based for the SG will be part of it.

To answer a few of your other questions.

1. They will be free. The item costs are effectively zeroed out and the program doesn't keep track of prestige in any event.

2. The people working on Paragon Chat have had zero contact with NCSoft and don't have any kind of explicit permission. I've heard from contacts in a position to know that people within NCSoft are aware of its existence, but that's about it. My impression is that in its current state they don't consider it a big enough problem to expend any resources on.

3. If that ever changes, what you build won't go away. Something I've tried to get across but not always been successful about is that when you run Paragon Chat, everything is saved locally. It exists on your computer -- not the chat server you're connecting to. The server we run just acts as a shared medium to communicate over, a "dumb relay".

That means that so long as you keep good backups of your paragon chat install (specifically the database file), it can never just "go away", by design. If for some reason we ever shut off our chat server or if Paragon Chat gets completely abandoned, you can still get to everything in offline mode. Or someone can set up another chat server somewhere so that people can log in and see each other again.