Author Topic: Street Sweeping  (Read 5109 times)

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
Street Sweeping
« on: August 11, 2015, 03:16:18 AM »
Can it happen?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Street Sweeping
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 03:17:53 AM »
You can pretend it can! (There are no enemies.)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 03:47:44 AM »
Yes, by using the flex emotes, one can claim to have scared away the street fona.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 06:36:39 AM »
Can it happen?

Or to give a more complete answer than the others... No. ;)

Well, not unless CW decides to completely change the entire concept and purpose of Paragon Chat, which is a glorified chat server using CoH as the chat interface.

Now, it's possible that CW will figure out how to implement powers and combat and so on from all his hard work, but it won't be going into Paragon Chat, as that's not PC's purpose. If he does such a thing, it's almost certainly going to be a different program, perhaps some kind of actual game server that we can potentially connect to at some unknown future date.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 02:33:56 PM »
Or to give a more complete answer than the others... No. ;)

Well, not unless CW decides to completely change the entire concept and purpose of Paragon Chat, which is a glorified chat server using CoH as the chat interface.

Now, it's possible that CW will figure out how to implement powers and combat and so on from all his hard work, but it won't be going into Paragon Chat, as that's not PC's purpose. If he does such a thing, it's almost certainly going to be a different program, perhaps some kind of actual game server that we can potentially connect to at some unknown future date.
It is all a nemesis plot! For real, it would be cool though. I mean aren't all the powers just values in a database?

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 02:52:07 PM »
It is all a nemesis plot! For real, it would be cool though. I mean aren't all the powers just values in a database?

Sure, but knowing that tells you nothing. Hell, we even know what the values are!

What we DON'T know, is what the server used to tell the game client about those values... In what order they were sent, in what format, and how the client responded to it. We don't even know what the server tells the client to enable it to populate the power trays...

T'is not as simple as knowing what the data is...

mdlittle

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 03:18:46 PM »
Well...,

- I suppose if it's a question of sequential order, then very first thing to be processed is whether or not said power/ability took effect (i.e. - did it hit). Now this can be either the very first thing, or the second thing...the reason why I say 'second' is because the very first that that could be processed is the attack animation, then process whether or not said attack actually 'hit'. This would work for 'sniper' attacks and other delayed effect abilities. For those kinds of instances, the animation would go first and after the prescribed delay - then whether or not a hit has been scored (as long as line of sight/effective range is maintained). Kind of helps explain why energy bolts can fly around corners...yet sniper blasts won't.  ;) Those who have taken hits suffer the prescribed affects minus their resistances and subsequent animations such as being held, knocked back, etc. At least that's my interpretation as to how the combat engine functioned.  ;D
"You're about to find out why they call me 'The Melee Blaster'!!!..."

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 03:54:16 PM »
What if I told you that all power animations go from target to source? :p

Gross oversimplification, but essentially, that's what happens. Ask CW. ;)

Just coz you 'think' it takes a linear progression, doesn't mean it does! (It doesn't :p )

mdlittle

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 06:02:24 PM »

Well, I guess that would work...tracking range prior to power execution, and then a second time once the power delay expires (...again, like 'snipe' and other delayed powers/abilities...). Makes sense.  ;D
"You're about to find out why they call me 'The Melee Blaster'!!!..."

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 07:35:34 PM »

Gross oversimplification, but essentially, that's what happens. Ask CW. ;)

Just coz you 'think' it takes a linear progression, doesn't mean it does! (It doesn't :p )
I mean levels are factored in I assume, followed by target resistances(and associated variables, health, etc. too) It bounces back with that value and damage done. It feels like a volley system(bump, bump, pass....SPIKE....(DEATH))! Anyway, I know that we have the tables. That is why I brought it up. Do we just not know what the server says to the client with those values?

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 07:37:41 PM »
Well, I guess that would work...tracking range prior to power execution, and then a second time once the power delay expires (...again, like 'snipe' and other delayed powers/abilities...). Makes sense.  ;D
My thoughts too. As long as the server recognizes those values in sync with the client. I feel like it doesn't HAVE to be the exact same process for client and server to do this properly. I could be 100% wrong, but still.