Author Topic: Compromise with NCSoft &/or Nexon???  (Read 3219 times)

ICKool

• Underling
  • Massively sleep deprived. Makes me quirky.
Compromise with NCSoft &/or Nexon???
« on: August 20, 2015, 05:04:56 PM »
Not sure why a couple techies can't go to a cloud-service like Amazon or Azure and toss up a full CoH server funded by community donations. NCSoft/Nexon wouldn't have to grant license, just agree not to take legal action for # of months (as a sign of good will towards community), with option to renew. The agreement would term the instant they resolve licensing issues internally or with a third party. They could oversee the donations... heck, donations could go to NCSoft and they could be responsible for paying the bill if they want. Obviously, the number of allowed CoH accounts would be based on # of servers donations could cover... I know I'm naive, but... dare to dream.
Keyboard not working? Check the connection. Human not working? Check the air, nutrition and SLEEP!

Surelle

Re: Compromise with NCSoft &/or Nexon???
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 06:27:58 PM »
Not sure why a couple techies can't go to a cloud-service like Amazon or Azure and toss up a full CoH server funded by community donations. NCSoft/Nexon wouldn't have to grant license, just agree not to take legal action for # of months (as a sign of good will towards community), with option to renew. The agreement would term the instant they resolve licensing issues internally or with a third party. They could oversee the donations... heck, donations could go to NCSoft and they could be responsible for paying the bill if they want. Obviously, the number of allowed CoH accounts would be based on # of servers donations could cover... I know I'm naive, but... dare to dream.

Honestly, though, Team Hail Mary lead by Nate Downes has been trying to lease the IP and server image of CoX i23, so if anything NCSoft/Nexon would be more interested in that.  With Nate's plan, they'd be getting money for the IP and CoX image.  And still a deal hasn't been made.

I doubt NC/Nexon would agree to "Free, Free, Free for everyone!" when they won't even agree to take money for CoX.

If anything,

A.) Put your time and support into Paragon Chat, which is really here right now, and

B.) Keep your fingers crossed that Nate's deal somehow, some way, someday works out.

Just my two influence on the matter, though.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Compromise with NCSoft &/or Nexon???
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 06:31:13 PM »
Not sure why a couple techies can't go to a cloud-service like Amazon or Azure and toss up a full CoH server funded by community donations.
Because we don't have one.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal