Author Topic: XMPP login errors  (Read 5918 times)

Mistress Bloodwrath

• Boss
  • Femme Fatale
XMPP login errors
« on: August 24, 2015, 10:36:34 PM »
What the hell? Why is it telling me my XMPP information is incorrect?  >:(

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: XMPP login errors
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 11:01:17 PM »
What the hell? Why is it telling me my XMPP information is incorrect?  >:(
Use exactly the same username/pw you use to log into http://cohtitan.com/login - If you're still having trouble, use the "forgot password" link to reset your password (even to the same exact password it already is), which forces a refresh for all services, maybe the chat server login got corrupted or........whatever...who knows.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Mistress Bloodwrath

• Boss
  • Femme Fatale
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 11:19:12 PM »
Use exactly the same username/pw you use to log into http://cohtitan.com/login -

Well, first, thanks for assuming I suddenly and abruptly acquired a bout of amnesia that wiped my memory on how to log in.  :roll:

If you're still having trouble, use the "forgot password" link to reset your password (even to the same exact password it already is), which forces a refresh for all services, maybe the chat server login got corrupted or........whatever...who knows.

It seems to be a who knows, as I restarted my computer after making my post and now everything works as it should.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 11:35:33 PM »
Well, first, thanks for assuming I suddenly and abruptly acquired a bout of amnesia that wiped my memory on how to log in.  :roll:
Do you know why "is it plugged in?" (or its variant, "did you turn it off and back on?") is the first thing you get asked when asking for help? Because that will fix it almost every single time. People get confused when something unexpected happens (or something expected doesn't happen). So yeah, I'm going to ask if it's plugged in/turned on/typing the correct information.

You don't need to get snappy about it. Standard troubleshooting questions here.

Additionally, I haven't typed my password into Titan in months. Titan uses cookies to save login information if you let it. Who knows how long it's been since you typed it in? How am I supposed to know anything about your habits?
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Mistress Bloodwrath

• Boss
  • Femme Fatale
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 11:49:41 PM »
Do you know why "is it plugged in?" (or its variant, "did you turn it off and back on?") is the first thing you get asked when asking for help? Because that will fix it almost every single time. People get confused when something unexpected happens (or something expected doesn't happen). So yeah, I'm going to ask if it's plugged in/turned on/typing the correct information.

You don't need to get snappy about it. Standard troubleshooting questions here.

Additionally, I haven't typed my password into Titan in months. Titan uses cookies to save login information if you let it. Who knows how long it's been since you typed it in? How am I supposed to know anything about your habits?

Well, I was in Paragon Chat just last week, so it frankly feels insulting if it's suggested that I've suddenly forgotten how to do everything.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 12:02:55 AM »
Well, I was in Paragon Chat just last week, so it frankly feels insulting if it's suggested that I've suddenly forgotten how to do everything.

How am I supposed to know you were in PC last week?

You're doing a lot of assuming.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Mistress Bloodwrath

• Boss
  • Femme Fatale
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 12:08:44 AM »
How am I supposed to know you were in PC last week?

You're doing a lot of assuming.

Right, because there could possibly be no way you could look at a few previous posts of mine and spot that I've made reference to activity in PC.  :roll:

Oh, wait... actually you can.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 12:12:42 AM »
Right, because there could possibly be no way you could look at a few previous posts of mine and spot that I've made reference to activity in PC.  :roll:

Oh, wait... actually you can.

Why would I care about your posting history when I'm trying to help you with a technical issue? Why are you so combative?

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Mistress Bloodwrath

• Boss
  • Femme Fatale
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 12:22:36 AM »
Why would I care about your posting history when I'm trying to help you with a technical issue? Why are you so combative?

Why would I suddenly forget how to log in when I have verifiable activity? Why do you assume I'm an idiot?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 12:30:52 AM »
Why would I suddenly forget how to log in when I have verifiable activity? Why do you assume I'm an idiot?

You really, really, really need to switch to decaf because nowhere in this entire exchange have I assumed any such thing.

Again, how would I know you had prior activity? I am not going to invest my time, which I am giving for free, to read your posting history to figure out if you'd connected in the past. You're having a technical issue now; the easiest way to go about it is to help NOW. So I did the easiest helper: "is it on?"

Aaaaand again, the #1 "fixer" of technical problems basically boils down to "is it on?" The "theory" of Occam's Razor says the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. Thus, me asking you "are you typing it correctly?" is not me assuming you're an idiot, it's me assuming Occam's Razor is still in effect. Because the most likely explanation is that you're not typing it correctly.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Mistress Bloodwrath

• Boss
  • Femme Fatale
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 12:47:06 AM »
You really, really, really need to switch to decaf because nowhere in this entire exchange have I assumed any such thing.

Again, how would I know you had prior activity? I am not going to invest my time, which I am giving for free, to read your posting history to figure out if you'd connected in the past. You're having a technical issue now; the easiest way to go about it is to help NOW. So I did the easiest helper: "is it on?"

Aaaaand again, the #1 "fixer" of technical problems basically boils down to "is it on?" The "theory" of Occam's Razor says the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. Thus, me asking you "are you typing it correctly?" is not me assuming you're an idiot, it's me assuming Occam's Razor is still in effect. Because the most likely explanation is that you're not typing it correctly.

Well, in this case Occam's Razor doesn't work in your example, as it's actually an unnecessary complexity to assume I've suddenly forgotten in the last couple days to log on. So, the simplest explanation isn't "is it on?" but "did you try restarting?" which in this case it was.

But no, I had to run into another jackass mod who assumes everyone is an idiot and can't be bothered to check if the "customer" is new or old.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 12:48:02 AM »
Well, in this case Occam's Razor doesn't work in your example, as it's actually an unnecessary complexity to assume I've suddenly forgotten in the last couple days to log on. So, the simplest explanation isn't "is it on?" but "did you try restarting?" which in this case it was.

But no, I had to run into another jackass mod who assumes everyone is an idiot and can't be bothered to check if the "customer" is new or old.

http://notalwaysright.com/

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 04:03:38 AM »
I am SO printing out this thread and taking it in to my job to amuse my coworkers.