Author Topic: Norton/XMPP issues - RESOLVED!  (Read 6390 times)

FlameBailador

• Underling
Norton/XMPP issues - RESOLVED!
« on: August 25, 2015, 12:50:34 AM »
I can no longer get into Paragon Chat:

1.  Norton keeps deleting the executable file when I hit PLAY.  I'd done a workaround by temporarily disabling my Auto-Protect, but I know that's a security no-no.  Is there a permanent way to tell Norton the file is safe so it will stop deleting it every time I run Tequila? 

2.  When I finally get the PC log-in screen, I can't log in.  I've verified my Titan XMPP name is what a I think it should be, verified Titan Network shows me as able to get into PC, reset my Forum login password (which I understand should NOT be the login for PC) and reset the login for the Titan Network (which I think SHOULD be the password).  All I get is a message saying "XMPP was unable to connect!  Make sure that your XMPP login information is correct."  I was in PC multiple times successfully using this login info (except for the reset password).  URGH.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-jeanette
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 03:37:41 AM by FlameBailador »

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Norton/XMPP issues
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 12:58:14 AM »
1. http://antivirus.about.com/od/securitytips/ht/excludefilesfromnorton.htm I don't know how old this is, and I don't use Norton, so I can't verify if this is the way it's done currently.
Alternately, a video from 2012 about a different program, but the steps should be the same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frMjLEBIxmY

2. Go into task manager and make sure there's only one Paragon Chat exe running?
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

FlameBailador

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 02:38:02 AM »
#1 worked...yay!

But still am getting the message that my login info may not be correct.  Changed my Titan Network password again, verified my login for PC is correct, and that my account is linked.  But still no luck.  :(

And I found another thread on the XMPP login errors...and using the password reset and also rebooting didn't help either.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 02:47:43 AM by FlameBailador »

FlameBailador

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 01:37:07 AM »
Any mods out there that can help me trouble shoot this?  I've read reports that sometimes someone from Titan has to do vudoo on your Titan account to get this fixed.  I've tried all the stuff I've seen posted on how to fix this...with no luck.  Still telling me to verify my login info is correct...and everything matches my Titan account.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 05:14:55 AM »
I've read reports that sometimes someone from Titan has to do vudoo on your Titan account to get this fixed.

I've never heard of anyone at Titan doing any such thing, and if they had I'm certain I'd know about it so... sounds like bad info.

Most likely Norton is somehow blocking the outbound connection. The error message is just a generic one that gets tossed up for any failure to connect, regardless of the reason. If it has any firewall-related settings try whitelisting Paragon Chat or even disabling the firewall entirely if only to verify that's what's causing it.

FlameBailador

• Underling
Re: Norton/XMPP issues - RESOLVED!!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 03:37:17 AM »
Weird...saw comments on the forums, and a friend told me the same thing...get ahold of someone at Titan to reset my account (sigh).  Hubby (the IT guy) was no help with the settings in Norton (and I had no clue myself - tried to make Tequila "allowed", albeit unsuccessfully), but after playing around with it repeatedly tonight I'm happy to say I was able to get in.

How, you may ask?  I went into Norton and clicked Settings.  Then I selected Program Control and scrolled down to Paragot Chat.  And what do I find?  BLOCK.  And Tequila?  BLOCK.  So I typed in ALWAYS (allow) and hit apply to save the settings.  Tried again and got a really weird message after entering my password (sorry...didn't capture a screenie) that wanted me to confirm I was willing to open a "risky" program.  Clicked Allow Always and I'm finally ready for the next costume contest and to try out the new flight/speed/whatever "travel" powers you guys have in there now that I've been drooling over on FB.  Hopefully my little narrative will help someone else stuck in the same place.

What I want to know is since I was in PC multiple times over a two week period of time when it first released, why Norton all of a sudden decided the program was dastardly and that I really don't want to go there (yes, I did!!).  But now it's fixed.  YAY!

Thanks for your words of wisdom, Codewalker.  While you didn't take me step by step to the solution, you pushed me (again!) in the right direction.   :P

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 05:15:10 AM »
I've never heard of anyone at Titan doing any such thing, and if they had I'm certain I'd know about it so... sounds like bad info.

Sorry, that was my fault, probably didn't explain it to her well enough when I suggested to her the possibility that it might have been something specific to her Titan account... Thought I recalled seeing others reporting similar issues the first couple weeks or so, something to do with their usernames not being acceptable for some reason, or something like that...? Can't remember off hand...

Was mostly suggesting it to her to rule out possibilities and narrow down the cause though.

Also, I forgot to mention to her that the necessary voodoo to fix it required five tiki torches, six rubber bands, fifteen lemons, three paperclips, and a ferret with a pancake on its head to appease the computer gods in order to fix it...... :P

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 05:20:24 AM »
Also, I forgot to mention to her that the necessary voodoo to fix it required five tiki torches, six rubber bands, fifteen lemons, three paperclips, and a ferret with a pancake on its head to appease the computer gods in order to fix it...... :P
It's a RABBIT with a pancake on its head.

Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 03:00:41 PM »
It's a RABBIT with a pancake on its head.

Really? Could have sworn the rabbit with a pancake on its head was for appeasing the internet gods, or since the internet is for cats, possibly a cat instead...

I just figured the computer gods preferred ferrets instead... Explains why my computers are always having mental breakdowns while I'm working on my games now at least... :P

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 05:31:19 PM »
Any mods out there that can help me trouble shoot this?  I've read reports that sometimes someone from Titan has to do vudoo on your Titan account to get this fixed.  I've tried all the stuff I've seen posted on how to fix this...with no luck.  Still telling me to verify my login info is correct...and everything matches my Titan account.

I had voodoo done to remove an exclamation mark from my original logon.  I guess punctuation is now illegal to have in name.  I also some how had one email on two accounts and an admin fixed that too when I tried to enroll for paragon chat.

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
  • Infinity, SG leader of The Moon Dragons
    • Behance
Re: Norton/XMPP issues - RESOLVED!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 04:02:22 PM »
I can no longer get into Paragon Chat:

1.  Norton keeps deleting the executable file when I hit PLAY.  I'd done a workaround by temporarily disabling my Auto-Protect, but I know that's a security no-no.  Is there a permanent way to tell Norton the file is safe so it will stop deleting it every time I run Tequila? 

2.  When I finally get the PC log-in screen, I can't log in.  I've verified my Titan XMPP name is what a I think it should be, verified Titan Network shows me as able to get into PC, reset my Forum login password (which I understand should NOT be the login for PC) and reset the login for the Titan Network (which I think SHOULD be the password).  All I get is a message saying "XMPP was unable to connect!  Make sure that your XMPP login information is correct."  I was in PC multiple times successfully using this login info (except for the reset password).  URGH.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-jeanette

I used Norton for many years and even included Norton’s  suite every time I repaired/built computers. My customers complained how they were unable to do any online gaming. I eventually realized Noton’s very intrusive and blocks many programs including XMPP. I can’t verify Norton  was the problem. All I do know is every time I replaced Norton  with McAfee Total Protection the problem of not being able to play online games seemed to be resolved. Maybe  Norton is blocking XMPP?  8)
Doc Artz

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Norton/XMPP issues - RESOLVED!
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 04:49:58 AM »
Locking because it was resolved several posts ago.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal