Author Topic: RP Group Idea: Pocket D Staff  (Read 4686 times)

AudreyWinter

• Minion
RP Group Idea: Pocket D Staff
« on: September 04, 2015, 07:37:44 AM »
Over the years I witnessed multiple attempts to form SGs representing Pocket D bartenders, in an effort to provide live interaction beyond Isaac's random utterances. One of my characters, Lady Water Star, tends the Big Blue Bar On Two* as a hobby and a way to meet people. I think it would be fun to come up with some characters who actually do work for DJ Zero, serving drinks and conversation both. Would anyone be interested?

Tipsy

• Lieutenant
Re: RP Group Idea: Pocket D Staff
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 04:59:51 PM »
Over the years I witnessed multiple attempts to form SGs representing Pocket D bartenders, in an effort to provide live interaction beyond Isaac's random utterances. One of my characters, Lady Water Star, tends the Big Blue Bar On Two* as a hobby and a way to meet people. I think it would be fun to come up with some characters who actually do work for DJ Zero, serving drinks and conversation both. Would anyone be interested?

In the past, there's been RPers who pretend to work the bar.  There's been SGs who have pretended to be staff.  There's RPers who pretend like the whole place is an open-bar with no staff.  And there's been RPers who, for whatever pretentious reason, get uppity when anyone tries to RP being an official employee of Pocket D.

But I don't think it's a bad idea--just keep in mind that with Teaming and SG not re-instated yet, attempts to take 'power' (even if it's just pretendy power) will seem especially controlling in the #1 default go-to place for RP for most (Bouncers, 'Rules enforcers').  Still, I'm sure with a thoughtful, mature discussion, a group of RPers could navigate these waters just fine.  Might even bring a little more cohesion to our RP with something institutional?

I'm not volunteering, mind you.  I have my own RP planned out, and I much prefer out-of-Pocket D (no pun intended) RP.

Good luck :)

-Tipsy

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 08:07:42 PM »
In the past, there's been RPers who pretend to work the bar.  There's been SGs who have pretended to be staff.  There's RPers who pretend like the whole place is an open-bar with no staff.  And there's been RPers who, for whatever pretentious reason, get uppity when anyone tries to RP being an official employee of Pocket D.

But I don't think it's a bad idea--just keep in mind that with Teaming and SG not re-instated yet, attempts to take 'power' (even if it's just pretendy power) will seem especially controlling in the #1 default go-to place for RP for most (Bouncers, 'Rules enforcers').  Still, I'm sure with a thoughtful, mature discussion, a group of RPers could navigate these waters just fine.  Might even bring a little more cohesion to our RP with something institutional?

I'm not volunteering, mind you.  I have my own RP planned out, and I much prefer out-of-Pocket D (no pun intended) RP.

Once I saw a person being a douche as the bartender and if there were real management that "employee" would have been fired on the spot. 

If official employees of PD are created by players, there should probably be some management level, even if it's just one boss.  And he/she has to be the boss, meaning his/her word is law (according to whatever guidelines are set up).

There's nothing stopping non-official players from playing a role of employee.  What do you do about that?

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 09:05:30 PM »
My main has already volunteered a few times, I suppose I could roleplay bar tending more on her.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Tipsy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 09:11:58 PM »
Once I saw a person being a douche as the bartender and if there were real management that "employee" would have been fired on the spot. 

If official employees of PD are created by players, there should probably be some management level, even if it's just one boss.  And he/she has to be the boss, meaning his/her word is law (according to whatever guidelines are set up).

There's nothing stopping non-official players from playing a role of employee.  What do you do about that?

I think that Paragon Chat, as it stands currently, is a little bit like the Wild West.  There's little stopping anyone from much, truthfully, aside from a healthy slathering of Global Ignore.  (BTW, I'm not sure what you mean by 'non-official players'.)   Still, common courtesy for us as *players* is ideal--and claiming any 'authority' over another through pretendy means is questionable. 

Keep in mind, I'm in no way discouraging this idea... I think it could be fun.  I'm just entertaining the topic with a predictable response; a point for those who might plan such an SG to consider.  Having a less-than-DJ-Zero manager-type seems like a potentially good solve.

-Tipsy

Mistress Bloodwrath

• Boss
  • Femme Fatale
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 09:29:16 PM »
Sounds like it would be fun. It's an obvious issue I've always lampshaded in similar environments ("Isn't there EVER a tender at the bar? How do they even make money if they just leave it to trust?"), so I'd have no problem with this. In fact, I even encourage it.

Tribunus

• Minion
  • Pinnacle of Virtue
    • Polar Bear Dreams & Stranger Things
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 03:57:29 AM »
We had someone that did that on Pinn in our SG. Hreb, the (demon) Bartender from Hell. Fun to watch and interact with and had an excellent use of "!" for surprise.

I remember a group of (unafilliated) cat-girls came in one night and was demanding cheeseburgers and milk from "the" Hreb.
"It's not about where you were born. Or what powers you have. Or what you wear on your chest. It's about what you do....It's about saving others."
Tribunus to other Virtue heroes during the Cataclysm

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 11:43:58 AM »
What are the proper bartending EM's?
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"