Author Topic: Can't launch Paragon Chat  (Read 4444 times)

TheGreatSorento

• Underling
Can't launch Paragon Chat
« on: September 14, 2015, 06:54:55 AM »
Always get this bs message about updating video card drivers

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
Re: Can't launch Paragon Chat
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 12:32:46 PM »
CoH did that when it was live too. It's just that having not been updated in three years it doesn't recognise the newer driver versions. That shouldn't stop you launching the game at all though?

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 08:55:50 PM »
I also get this message, in the login screen area (or somewhere like that). Same with other games (apparently my 5 year old graphics card isn't well liked by MMOs). But I can get in just fine.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

JadeFalcon

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 10:29:12 PM »
I also get this message, in the login screen area (or somewhere like that). Same with other games (apparently my 5 year old graphics card isn't well liked by MMOs). But I can get in just fine.

Try going to the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cryptic\CoHBeta and make sure DriverCheckLastDate has a value of 0.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 04:34:48 PM »
Try going to the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cryptic\CoHBeta and make sure DriverCheckLastDate has a value of 0.

Ooh, registry editing. Well this is delightfully interesting. I only have coh, Core, and Cryptic Launcher in the \Cryptic\ area. The DriverCheckLastDate and GameProgressDialogType are both "REG_DWORD" types, compared to the "REG_SZ" of everything else. DriverCheckLastDate has a value of 517e1a70 in hexadecimal, when I double click. In the main screen it's displayed as 0x517e1a70. I have no idea what that means. I also have a "DriverCheckLastVersion" entry, which has a value of 2400.201208211101.1. Which... looks to me like it has something to do with I24. But the extent of my knowledge with registry editing is getting there, and doing exactly what people tell me to do, and being very careful not to do anything else. Should I change DriverCheckLastDate to 0?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

JadeFalcon

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 05:48:24 AM »
Short answer: Yes. :)

Long answer: I was getting the driver warning on the login screen just as you described in your previous post. I believe that when I installed ParagonChat, it changed the DriverCheckLastDate value to 0 because I have all of the registry settings in the CohBeta key backed up, and that value was dword:4c0d874c before.

After I started using ParagonChat, I no longer got the driver warning. So I looked at the registry settings and that's when I noticed the DriverCheckLastDate value was dword:0. Perhaps the reason why it changed for me and not for you is because your registry settings are under coh instead of CohBeta.

Anyway, changing DriverCheckLastDate to 0 should get rid of the driver warning. If your worried about it messing something up, just export the entire coh key to a .reg file from the File menu in the registry editor. Then you can just import the settings if something goes wrong. I doubt that will be necessary though. You're only changing one value and you've already noted it in your post.

PS. I don't know if doing this will help the OP because as was previously mentioned, the driver warning isn't known to prevent the game from working at all. But there's nothing to lose by trying it.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 06:26:31 AM »
Should I change DriverCheckLastDate to 0?

That's what the instruction said to do...

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 01:21:06 PM »
That's what the instruction said to do...

Yes, well, best to check when editing registry stuff. Plus, the value displays as 0xwhatever, which is... Technically zero?

Anyways, I'll update this post with result.