Author Topic: Agents of SHIELD season 3 - Meet Quake  (Read 28433 times)

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Re: Agents of SHIELD season 3 - Meet Quake
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2016, 02:11:39 AM »
Mini Mack?  Should've gone with Little Mack.  Could've got him some green shorts and started him on his boxing career.

I don't get why they thought Mac was an Inhuman. He didn't use any flashy powers. He's just a really good shot.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2016, 02:16:29 AM »
I think it was the angle from which they saw Daisy's attack. They couldn't see her and just assumed it was Mack who did it.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2016, 01:37:52 PM »
The energy shield was cool.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2016, 01:57:32 PM »
The energy shield was cool.

Stole that from the Cap comics from quite a few years ago.

Cap's shield was shattered so Tony Stark made him that energy shield to pop out of his glove when he needed it.

Glad to see now with CGI they could make it look so awesome.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2016, 08:46:32 AM »
Kinda been wondering for a while if the AoS writers have read Earth-X.  Now I'm really wondering.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2016, 08:58:23 AM »
Your post made me wonder why I hadn't read it. Turns out it's because the people who did chronological x-men missed including it somehow. Definitely going to read it now since wiki says it was inspired by kingdom come which i just finished and loved.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2016, 09:08:46 AM »
Stole that from the Cap comics from quite a few years ago.

Cap's shield was shattered so Tony Stark made him that energy shield to pop out of his glove when he needed it.

Glad to see now with CGI they could make it look so awesome.

Didn't he have that during a stint as Nomad, too?  Or was another guy taking on the Nomad role using it?

In any case, the important part is that Coulson is now a Shield tanker... and that the shield looks cool.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2016, 09:56:36 AM »
U.s. agent had one for a while, not sure about nomad

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2016, 01:19:15 PM »
Didn't he have that during a stint as Nomad, too?  Or was another guy taking on the Nomad role using it?

In any case, the important part is that Coulson is now a Shield tanker... and that the shield looks cool.

I was hoping for a Stark name drop on the shield, but maybe it was Fitz.

Hope he gets to use it again.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2016, 08:21:04 PM »
Your post made me wonder why I hadn't read it. Turns out it's because the people who did chronological x-men missed including it somehow. Definitely going to read it now since wiki says it was inspired by kingdom come which i just finished and loved.

The books are so dense and the story(ies) they tell so complicated its almost impossible to really spoil them, but I will say if you go hunting for them that IMO Earth-X is genius, Universe-X is thought-provoking but not as strong, and Paradise-X is sketchy (due in large part to editorial interference during its run that truncated the series and messed up the overall story).

Earth-X in particular deals with the question "what if everyone had superpowers" and one of its big ideas* is that mutation in humans is an engineered property because humans were designed to be a weapons system, much like the Inhumans in AoS.  There's also the idea that this weapons system needed a control system, like Hive is in AoS.  And the AoS story line seems to be suggesting to me that Hive's endgame involves trying to figure out how to turn all of humanity into Inhumans, because then he can convert everyone on Earth into a part of Hive.

* Each book is centered around what I call a Big Idea: Earth-X's big idea is "what is the source of (mutation-based) super powers?" Universe-X's big idea is "where do all alternate realities come from?" and Paradise-X's big idea is "can you control the ultimate nature of reality?"

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2016, 10:20:06 PM »
Sounds fun. I had them nicely tucked into my heartbreakingly beautiful organized folders so the looking for them took less time than it'll take to copy them over to my tablet for reading.

They could also easily do a plot line similar to what happened after House of M when Quicksilver exposed former mutants to terrigen, just with genetically manipulated humans. Could easily see next season going in that vein with them having to hunt down a whole passel of people who got powers they couldn't control and weren't exactly desirable.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2016, 02:20:36 AM »
Sounds fun. I had them nicely tucked into my heartbreakingly beautiful organized folders so the looking for them took less time than it'll take to copy them over to my tablet for reading.

They could also easily do a plot line similar to what happened after House of M when Quicksilver exposed former mutants to terrigen, just with genetically manipulated humans. Could easily see next season going in that vein with them having to hunt down a whole passel of people who got powers they couldn't control and weren't exactly desirable.

There are hints in the dialog from this latest episode that Hive thinks Shield expects him to raise an army, because Shield thinks he intends to fight a war, but he isn't.  The logical assumption is that Hive doesn't intend to fight a war because his end game precludes the possibility of a war ever happening or threatening him.  To me, that suggests to main possibilities: engineering a way to turn all humans into Inhumans that would then become part of Hive, or engineering a way for Hive to affect humans, and in effect eliminate the problem in the same way.  And it fits with Hive's apparent motives, which are focused on his reason for existing, which is to essentially turn Inhumans into a collective.  I don't think it serves Hive's purpose to simply create a few randomly engineered humans with powers.  That's not "why he exists."

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2016, 02:55:07 AM »
All true, but it also has to serve the purposes of extended plot and (I assume) extended use of the actor playing ward/hive. so though his motivation is to convert everyone there could be attempts to figure out a way to affect humans that fail, leading to a bunch of people with out of control powers for them to hunt down next season. if it were me i'd have the next couple episodes where there are failed attempts and then have him and all the test subjects, one of whom was a success, escape in the big finale showdown. they could then have a main arc next season of trying to stop hive from converting the human population with individual episodes where they have to stop the failures.

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2016, 09:08:24 AM »
So instead of a Cajun, Gambit's a Redneck now? ;)
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2016, 10:02:44 AM »
So instead of a Cajun, Gambit's a Redneck now? ;)

I got curious with each codename he threw out during the episode, but none of the searches along the way got likely results until near the end with Hellfire, IIRC.  I think the real name was James Taylor James, and he was affiliated with the Secret Warriors, though I prefer the original origin.

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2016, 11:52:53 AM »
Comic Hellfire could create objects out of fire... this one's powers are more akin to Gambit. Even if he's using fire to blow stuff up instead of kinetic energy.
But I liked Mack's suggestion, Blowhard ;D
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2016, 06:19:53 AM »
Front and center with the Sokovia Accords this week.  Very nice.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2016, 01:07:12 PM »
Front and center with the Sokovia Accords this week.  Very nice.

Even though the movies don't reciprocate, that's one thing I've always enjoyed about AoS. You can always count on them incorporating the events of the movies into the next episodes and expanding their impact.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2016, 01:42:00 PM »
So did this new episode make any subtle reference to the Civil War film? 8)

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2016, 07:53:39 PM »
It wasn't even subtle. The topic of registration factored heavily into parts of the episode.