Author Topic: When CoH/CoV comes back, what server is everyone going to be playing on?  (Read 41306 times)

Stitchified

• Boss
  • Errors are not in the art but in the artificers.
    • datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
Personally, Infinity is where it's at for me! What about everyone else?    8)

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
Re: When CoH/CoV comes back, what server is everyone going to be playing on?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 10:12:32 PM »
Well as we would all be starting over from scratch since all evidence points to loss of accounts/characters,  it really won't matter which one we start on.

Also we are presuming that ALL servers will return upon relaunch.

As large and passionate the COH fanbase is, some attrition has hit since shut down. Some have moved on, some may have very "jaundiced" feelings about NCSoft and won't return if NCsoft has any control or ownership of the game when it returns.  Some may have found another game they like better then CoH (hard to imagine but possible). 

So that being said, the question is: SHOULD all the servers return at relaunch?  Would they all be needed or should say half the servers return with the others left on standby to be restored one by one as population/demand dictate?  For example: the Exalted VIP only server, I can't see that returning as a VIP/private server on relaunch.  Then were what, 2 or 3 Euro servers? Would they all be needed at relaunch or just one?  Would we really need the TEST server?

I personally would like all the servers back at relaunch, but business is business and it may not be necessary or wise to have them all back at relaunch but to keep some in reserve.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Stitchified

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 11:10:31 PM »
the question is: SHOULD all the servers return at relaunch?  Would they all be needed or should say half the servers return with the others left on standby to be restored one by one as population/demand dictate?  For example: the Exalted VIP only server, I can't see that returning as a VIP/private server on relaunch.  Then were what, 2 or 3 Euro servers? Would they all be needed at relaunch or just one?  Would we really need the TEST server?

I personally would like all the servers back at relaunch, but business is business and it may not be necessary or wise to have them all back at relaunch but to keep some in reserve.
You raise some excellent points and I'd say that not ALL the servers should be active at launch, maybe have 2 or 3 of the servers active at launch and then leave the rest to be inactive unless it turns out to be needed. I agree with you on what you said bout the Exalted VIP only server coming back, as for the TEST Server, I think that should only be used if the group who'll be maintaining CoH/CoV (if the deal gets approved by NCsoft) will also be updating it, but if the group will only be maintaining CoH/CoV then I don't think the TEST server should be used.

Also, as I said in the beginning, you raise some excellent points, points I did not consider when making this thread, so thank you for taking the time to make those points (and i'm being serious bout that). :)

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 12:08:42 AM »
You raise some excellent points and I'd say that not ALL the servers should be active at launch, maybe have 2 or 3 of the servers active at launch and then leave the rest to be inactive unless it turns out to be needed. I agree with you on what you said bout the Exalted VIP only server coming back, as for the TEST Server, I think that should only be used if the group who'll be maintaining CoH/CoV (if the deal gets approved by NCsoft) will also be updating it, but if the group will only be maintaining CoH/CoV then I don't think the TEST server should be used.

Also, as I said in the beginning, you raise some excellent points, points I did not consider when making this thread, so thank you for taking the time to make those points (and i'm being serious bout that). :)

You're welcome.  Like I said, I'd love to have all servers back at relaunch but I just can't see it happening.  I would think that 5 servers perhaps 6 would suffice.  I would also look at the accounts at sign up and see just how many are from "across the pond" as it were, a.k.a. Euro-accounts, and see if there were enough to justify a Euro server at relaunch.  Otherwise I would probably have to leave the Euro servers offline as well unless the numbers justify a return of said servers.

As to the ones I would bring back, well since we'd all be starting over again even though some servers had certain reputations such as Virtue being the RP server, Freedom being the PL/farm server, Champion as a drama server and so on, those reputations really no longer matter as this would be a restart.  So I would use the following server names:

1. To celebrate the return of the game and of beign free from NCsoft control/ownership: FREEDOM server

2. To celebrate the goodness in the hearts of the new owners and the fanbase who never gave up: VIRTUE

3. To celebrate the triumphant return of the game: TRIUMPH

4. To show that we will climb any heights and scale any mountain needed for our beloved game: PINNACLE

5. To show that we are truly champions of online gaming the CHAMPION server

6. and finally, to celebrate the sweet, sweet feeling of victory over the return of our beloved game: THE VICTORY SERVER!!!!!!

Test server should be offline until the devs can actually make updates that need testing before go live.
The Exalted VIP private server should be the last to return if they plan to have be a private/VIP server again

These are the other servers, I would keep them offline in standby mode and monitor the metrics and population of the active servers and see if any should return.  IF circumtances merit a return I would bring them back one at a time with a week's notice to the players as to the date and time for then the server activates thus giving everyone the time needed to get ready to jump in and make their alts on it.  Also IF I could make some changes to the PVP system that I have in mind , part of which would be the mitigation or removal of issue 13 changes, I would activate one as a test PVP server and if the changes are well received make it a PVP only server

Guardian
Justice
Infinity
Liberty
Protector
(Defiant, Union, Vigilance, Zukunft) they were the four Euro servers before server merge was done.  I would likely just bring one euro server back if needed.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 03:13:09 AM »
If the servers come back as they were?  Back home to Justice.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 03:26:34 AM »
I played on ALL servers.

But Virtue was my home.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 03:52:03 AM »
If all the servers come back. and if the same community is built back on each server, I probably would return to protector.  This time, however, I'm going to play all the servers.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 03:57:26 AM »
The red one

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 04:45:31 AM »
Whichever ends up being the pantsless one.

Stitchified

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 08:39:30 AM »
Whichever ends up being the pantsless one.
Seems legit :P

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 06:59:42 PM »
Depending of whether the servers are split up into zones (East Coast, West Coast, Europe, Asia), I would naturally tend to gravitate towards whatever server was West Coast.  If that is Virtue (as I believe it was before), then I am there!
What was no more, is now reborn!

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 07:05:30 PM »
It will be a new world and all semblance of the past is up in the air as players and time has moved on.  Who knows if/what the characteristics will be like. 

Stitchified

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 10:30:16 PM »
It will be a new world and all semblance of the past is up in the air as players and time has moved on.  Who knows if/what the characteristics will be like.
Tis is true

Odimodus

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 12:21:43 AM »
Whichever server features the statues of the Heroes who bring the game back...

JoshexProxy

• [citation needed]²
  • Boss
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 01:18:22 AM »
we will be lucky to get 1 to 5 servers to start with there is a very rare chance we may get all the servers back (cause it costs major money if they are using an actual server machine). not major money to the THeM possibly, but to us yes.

I've seen server drawers that cost the same as a small house.

a small part of what the THeM is taking a small amount of time on must be deciding what they will run the server image on. will they go cheap and deal with upgrading components later, or will they go straight for an IBM or other pricey brand server?

anyways I can imagine if they start with one machine it'll probably have the capacity to serve 1000 to 10000 players, in other-words from 1/10th to 1/6th of the paying player estimate at shutdown.

I should figure we will also get 1/10th or 1/6th of the servers back with it, and that's if we get them back, for all we know there might be some clause in the contract that for some strange reason the servers cannot have the same names as they used to. we know NCSoft stated they would not restore our saves (I think they scrubbed them) that was during the first hail-mary with the paragon devs.

So.. I'll most likely be on the first server they put up or if there's more than one the one where my friends are.

Some positive speculation; players will come back. if they aren't dead they will return when words spreads that the game is back. just need to blast FB twitter and the like with it.

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
  • Infinity, SG leader of The Moon Dragons
    • Behance
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 01:38:22 AM »
Except for the much appreciated  ability to fly go backwards in time and see what we all once had, what is happening which would convince us that  COH/COV will ever be as close as it once was? Too many incredible thing to accomplish.  IF COH  does, I'll be on any server. My sincere thanks to all the developers who have worked so hard to make the impossible dream seem somehow possible.
Doc Artz

artbunker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 02:01:12 AM »
IF  the game comes back, I hope we only have half to 2/3 of the servers we had befre at first. I believe we need 0to know how many of our fellow players would truly return. I also believe we need to grow our community again . I believe people need to get to know others again and meet new folks. I believe that by having a smaller number of servers at first , we will be able to grow our community by meeting "new" folks.  I think teaming would be easier going this direction as well.  Were going to have to team up with lot of folks. Old and new IF the game returns. 

As much as some oflks will ahte it, I believe fewer servers = more interaction with people and more teaming.

Odimodus

• Minion
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 02:10:34 AM »
If not for name conflicts I'd be happy with one or two servers so we wont ever be far apart again.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 02:28:28 AM »
IF  the game comes back, I hope we only have half to 2/3 of the servers we had befre at first. I believe we need 0to know how many of our fellow players would truly return. I also believe we need to grow our community again . I believe people need to get to know others again and meet new folks. I believe that by having a smaller number of servers at first , we will be able to grow our community by meeting "new" folks.  I think teaming would be easier going this direction as well.  Were going to have to team up with lot of folks. Old and new IF the game returns. 

As much as some oflks will ahte it, I believe fewer servers = more interaction with people and more teaming.

Well, if we have to get to know one another...

Hallo! My name is Indigo Montoya. You kill my father. Prepare to ... Um, ... Faceplant?
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Balince

• Minion
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 02:36:09 AM »
If I could find members of the twilight avengers sg from guardian/pinnacle I'd go wherever there at. I'd love to be in that kind of dedicated sg again.