Author Topic: When CoH/CoV comes back, what server is everyone going to be playing on?  (Read 41314 times)

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
Re: When CoH/CoV comes back, what server is everyone going to be playing on?
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 03:35:03 AM »
Was there a Paragon server?  I'd go there.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 03:59:29 AM »
First, get the game back.

Then we can worry about how many servers we get. It wouldn't shock me if it started with just one....

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 04:54:32 AM »
Pinnacle represent!

But if it's a ghost town, I'll move to Champion, then I don't know past that.  Those were my two 'homes' back when.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2015, 05:00:24 AM »
I guess the premise of this topic is that we have the game back, and all the servers are as they were before shut down.

Obvisously we got to get the game back before we go picking servers.
And there is a good possiblity that they might not start the game with 11-d-12 servers out of the gate, but try to play along.  Pick a server and 'splane why.

Justice, because I want to start running villains.

artbunker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2015, 04:52:50 PM »
Well, if we have to get to know one another...

Hallo! My name is Indigo Montoya. You kill my father. Prepare to ... Um, ... Faceplant?

My point is a tighter community will allow the game to grow . As the numbr increase, sure add more servers. But until we can prove that more servers are needed to meet demand, we do not need as many

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 06:22:14 PM »
we will be lucky to get 1 to 5 servers to start with there is a very rare chance we may get all the servers back (cause it costs major money if they are using an actual server machine). not major money to the THeM possibly, but to us yes.

Oh, that would be horrible for the game to come back with 0 servers.

:o

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2015, 07:04:08 PM »

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2015, 10:53:53 PM »
Quote from: Ironwolf (and I helped) so not a direct quote per se.
I would rename the server to Paragon Avenger and have just one.
Then I would just add a number on the end Paragon Avenger 1, 2 and 3 as needed.

Thanks, Ironwolf!

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2015, 11:57:10 PM »
At the start we would likely only need one server, maybe two or three, and I feel they should really have their own new names. I agree with Ironwolf, they should have a name meaning something to the community, like Paragon, Atlas or even Titan to recognize this community. There is really no need for 15 or 16 servers.
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2015, 03:28:18 AM »
At the start we would likely only need one server, maybe two or three, and I feel they should really have their own new names. I agree with Ironwolf, they should have a name meaning something to the community, like Paragon, Atlas or even Titan to recognize this community. There is really no need for 15 or 16 servers.

Yes, something meaningful, like Paragon Avenger!
(what is wrong with me, oh well.)

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2015, 04:01:07 PM »
Since it is running an image of the game, with no code to recompile, isn't likely that there we will have the exact same servers that we had at the shutdown?

Maybe someone like Codewalker or Arcana could chime here since they seem to know more about the behind the scenes stuff.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2015, 05:37:14 PM »
Since it is running an image of the game, with no code to recompile, isn't likely that there we will have the exact same servers that we had at the shutdown?

Maybe someone like Codewalker or Arcana could chime here since they seem to know more about the behind the scenes stuff.

I would think it won't matter. Once you are in the game it doesn't care which server you are on. The servers were just a menu to select - the game was identical on all the servers. From what I recall the servers didn't mention which one it was while you were playing just at the start menu.

So you may need to have all the pointers running behind the scenes but they could likely point at any IP address. Servers are pingable so they were identified by the IP not the naming.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2015, 09:13:18 PM »

Paragon, Atlas and Titan servers would be fine by me.

Just getting the game back...  You know? :)

Speaking as a former 'Defiant' resident. ;)

Azrael.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2015, 04:54:15 AM »
I would think it won't matter. Once you are in the game it doesn't care which server you are on. The servers were just a menu to select - the game was identical on all the servers. From what I recall the servers didn't mention which one it was while you were playing just at the start menu.

(1) A menu that's stored on the client, so you need a client patching mechanism (and some way to lock out people with the wrong version, since you can't depend on the server to do it if you can't modify it!) in place in order to change the names. You also need to completely understand the binary format the client uses for its translations. There are a handful of people in the community who know enough to be able to read it, and probably 2 or 3 who could modify it without breaking the file.

Alternatively, if you got an ex-Paragon dev on staff you have a small chance of getting one who could do it, but most wouldn't have a clue how to binary patch the game as that's not how they interacted with it. There's 3 programmers (and one designer who liked to play with the engine) I can think of who might remember enough to be able to reverse engineer it. None of them are extremely big names, and all but 1 left the studio quite some time before the shutdown.

(2) The server does care about the name, because the global services need it. The chat server needs it as the shard name shows up in the global friends list. Things that store per-character data like auctions and AE missions also need it to distinguish between characters with the same database ID number on different shards.

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2015, 12:44:32 PM »
(1) A menu that's stored on the client, so you need a client patching mechanism (and some way to lock out people with the wrong version, since you can't depend on the server to do it if you can't modify it!) in place in order to change the names. You also need to completely understand the binary format the client uses for its translations. There are a handful of people in the community who know enough to be able to read it, and probably 2 or 3 who could modify it without breaking the file.

Alternatively, if you got an ex-Paragon dev on staff you have a small chance of getting one who could do it, but most wouldn't have a clue how to binary patch the game as that's not how they interacted with it. There's 3 programmers (and one designer who liked to play with the engine) I can think of who might remember enough to be able to reverse engineer it. None of them are extremely big names, and all but 1 left the studio quite some time before the shutdown.

(2) The server does care about the name, because the global services need it. The chat server needs it as the shard name shows up in the global friends list. Things that store per-character data like auctions and AE missions also need it to distinguish between characters with the same database ID number on different shards.

So, if I understand this correctly, it's very unlikely the names of the servers would change.  However, there would remain the question of how many servers would be up and running?

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2015, 03:06:54 AM »

So you may need to have all the pointers running behind the scenes but they could likely point at any IP address. Servers are pingable so they were identified by the IP not the naming.

The server knew who it was.  Did you ever do a /whereami?  I remember that it would return server and zone.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2015, 07:13:20 AM »
freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedoooooooooooooooooooommmmm

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2015, 03:19:02 PM »

Very good to know! So the client needs to be written and altered if possible - otherwise we get all the servers back?

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2015, 04:05:03 PM »
The server where most roleplayers go.  Whatever name we choose for that, be it Virtue or something else if we have to choose new names for servers.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2015, 05:29:25 PM »
Very good to know! So the client needs to be written and altered if possible - otherwise we get all the servers back?

I think we all suspected that a new launcher and at least a client patch would be needed anyway, I mean that the new servers would have a different IP than the original so the new launcher would have to point at the correct server address to apply the client patch or even download a clean client for those who don't have it anymore. Wouldn't it?

Then there is an issue of Logo's and what not, the new masters would need to slap their own brand on that hide. . .
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.