Author Topic: When CoH/CoV comes back, what server is everyone going to be playing on?  (Read 41311 times)

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
I agree. Though, I heard Exalted was pretty active ???. Another interesting topic of discussion/side track: Did you know all IOs(bar purps) can be earned in AE too?!  :o. That is such a relief for me  :gonk:, I thought I'd have to scavenge and beg politely rob implore the community for generous donations of IOs :)

Going off of memory here I think that any AE mission that was approved by the devs after it was submitted by the creator was set to drop salvage/recipies, etc.  Purples and incarnate components were not though.

As to Exalted Server, yeah it was active most of the time. But as it was for VIP/paying only and the game has been under "extended maintenance" for the past 2 years, I don't think such a server is needed at relaunch. 

To be honest if I were the one bringing the game back, I'd be seriously looking into doing away with the F2P/VIP thing and set a monthly rate, reactivate the paragon store for purchases of xp boosters, emotes, etc like it was. Perhaps offer a discount for buying a few months worth of subscriptions like it was, but I wouldn't offer lifetime subscriptions, those seem to have a tendency to blow up in the devs face whenever they make changes that offend some players.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
I agree with doing away with free2play, it attracts less than desirable players, sometimes.
I always thought that it would be cool to have a few subscrition levels.
VIP
Community
Economy
ElCheapo
and of course, a free trial period.

Soul Resonance

• Boss
I agree with doing away with free2play, it attracts less than desirable players, sometimes.
VIP
Community
Economy
ElCheapo
I agree-ish? But then that's not a good idea, especially for a game that's been shuttered before, it seems a bit audacious on our end, and promotes an air of for a lack of better words, elitism. Or atleast, I believe so. Plus I've got a friend who's interested, but isn't too keen on $15/mo(unless it'll be cheaper ofc.), at least before trying the game first :).
50's: Necro/Dark, Fire x3 Dom, Plant/Savage Dom, Ice/Time Blaster, Arch/TA Blaster, SS/Elec Brute, Rad/Rad Def.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
I wouldn't want free to play either, given my experiences with CO and how free to play(especially turned pay to win) utterly destroyed that game.

But I also think that limits on free players could be done within reason.  Frankly I think the biggest issue is trying to keep power level separate enough from a store system without discouraging people from paying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhz9OXy86a0

Goes into the two extremes free to play go: Free entirely enough that no one pays a dime for the store, or pay to win.  CO failed both ways with that.  It was pay to win with freeform/freeform slots, and yet many of the store only costumes were bad enough that it was almost a type 1.  Then of course overpowered vehicles....leading to....

.....this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U

We don't want to go down the whale path either.  CO did that with vehicles and then when it tried pulling out, it did so in a way that left everyone thinking it was one big scam.  CO lost such a large volume of it's remaining players in less than a month over that disaster and I would not want to see that happen to a returned CoX.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
This also makes me think of another point.  Powersets should not be on the store, or if they are they have to come with some disclaimors about balance.  We have to make it clear that bait and switching is not something being done.  People felt that way about CO and it's store-only items when they got nerfed.  By having disclaimors or keeping them off we can focus on bringing OP sets to the baseline.  Of course the baseline has to be something reasonable but then CoX had a reasonable baseline to begin with.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
VIP
Community
Economy
ElCheapo

Well less then desirable players can arrive whether they pay or not, but I can see your point.

However I wouldn't offer multiple subscription levels, just a flat monthly fee, perhaps purchase a few months worth at a discount price, no life time subscriptions and no F2P.   As to what the monthly fee would be, I'd have to do some number crunching and see what would be equitable to the fans as well as covering maintenance and development costs.

F2P really ticked off some people I knew about losing their inventions and having to buy a monthly invention license.  I reminded them at SO's can still make a good build but the allure of the almighty defense cap, stamina boost, regen, etc from the sets....

I'd have no power sets in the paragon store if I could avoid it.   Also I would have no plans for vehicles to ever be put in.  However......the Halloween event did give us the costumes of NPC's....perhaps updated versions where you can transform into said NPC and have their powers....but not yours until you change back...... also perhaps when one defeats a GM they gain the badge and a recipe to craft for a permanent accolade type power with a 30 minute recharge that only works outdoors that lets you transform into said GM.   Imagine facing a KRONOS titan with the power to transform into Eochai or Jack or Deathsurge....

I'd also look into seeing if the issue 13 PVP changes that alienated so many could be redacted or at least improved upon.  If they couldn't be redacted I'd make sure the Arena wouldn't have them and advertise that both in forum and in game as a reminder to all that the Arena can be a fun place....

I'd also look at the PVP reputation badges both in terms of requirement and the PVP reputation decay rate.

Also a tune up for PB and WS....
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
AP33
It will be a new server to celebrate our success at getting the game back.

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
If not for name conflicts I'd be happy with one or two servers so we wont ever be far apart again.

^^true

Kruhl Sentru

• Underling
Personally, I feel that if/when the game comes back, we should start with just one server. Having multiple instances of a zone wouldn't be so bad, but I doubt we'll see nearly the population the game had previously.

Currently, there are already a few problems with the population.  First, getting the word out to all the previous players is nigh impossible without any form of listing of all accounts.  I doubt NCSoft would give access to that kind of thing.  Second, it's an old game now, and there just aren't enough of us old-school gamers.  Third, there are already fully operation illegal servers running for this game.  Those will detract from the main population.  Finally, there are no more major content updates.  I mean, if the negotiations are for just the right to host the game, and not to also acquire the software to create updates, then how will a handful of people create updates, starting from scratch on the software front, and keep up with a company that had nearly a hundred developers?  We might see small bug fixes or minor changes, but I doubt anything big is even possible now.

While month to month payments are a good idea to keep less desirable players out, I just don't think a game in this condition can survive like that.  I'd personally recommend a F2P system, minus the premium stuff.  I mean, as it stands, it's rather unreasonable to ask a lot of money from people like myself who already sunk several hundred dollars into the game, just so we can get back the very same things we already purchased.  I might be dumb enough to purchase it all again, but I doubt there are that many fanatics lol.  Heck, we even have to start from scratch in earning vet rewards.  Maybe a trade-off could be made.  For example, you have to repurchase the costume packs and such, and you can get those various item packs or purchase things like rename and respec tokens, but we all start with full vet rewards, or at least earn them faster than before.  I dunno, it just really is going to be tough on whomever brings this game back to make it profitable enough.  At least, it will be until the word spreads.

On that note, if this game ever returns, I'm going to do a full Let's Play series on YouTube for it.  That'll be fun for me, probably for a number of viewers as well, and it'll be my way to getting the word out that the game is back from the dead.  Since currently the only Let's Play/Walkthrough/Playthrough videos for CoH are only up to level 20 at the highest, a full LP would also be a first for this game. *sigh*  Of course, that assumes that NCSoft gets their act together and stops holding out on earning free money from a dead MMO.

adarict

• Boss
Third, there are already fully operation illegal servers running for this game.  Those will detract from the main population. 

There has never been any evidence of this.  There was one that was sort of operational, that ran a very very old version of the game.  There are no fully operational servers of any kind for this game.  Well, unless you want to count Paragon Chat, but since that isn't actually a game...

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
There was one that was sort of operational, that ran a very very old version of the game.
SEGS?
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

adarict

• Boss
SEGS?

That's the one.  Didn't they eventually get it up to I3?  I logged into it a few times.  Buggy as all getout, but it DID work.  I forget if it started as SEGs then changed to CoHEMU or if it was the other way around.

Magus Prime

• Boss
Pinnacle naturally.  It is, after all, the drunken server!

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
Re: When CoH/CoV comes back, what server is everyone going to be playing on?
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2016, 12:49:54 AM »
When City of Heroes comes back, I will be on some server running Linux I guess.

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2016, 04:13:40 AM »
If the game launched exactly as it once was I'd be on Virtue.  Wherever the RPers are, that's where I'll go.

Disected

• Underling
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2016, 12:37:00 AM »
Wait is CoH for sure going to be revived?  :o

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2016, 04:15:21 AM »
Wait is CoH for sure going to be revived?  :o

Right now we have the firm possibility of a definite maybe.  Last word was the parties in negotiations are under a Non-Disclosure Agreement.

Crindon85

• Underling
When it does come back I would be on Guardian and Freedom.

But I do forsee that there would be only 1 server at least in the beginning. It was gain more if the demand for more and need for more was there.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
Once upon a time, I would have answered "Liberty." But I have since then been logging onto Paragon Chat, and I've started engaging more with the community than I ever did when the game was live. Now? I honestly don't know where I would go; I would want to play with my new friends,
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
The Super Fire Dragon server.  It will be by invitation only, and only the cool kids will be allowed there.  Wait a minute, they might not let me in there.