Author Topic: The THeM Story: part 1  (Read 4245 times)

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
  • You're not seeing double, I'm not wearing pants.
Re: The THeM Story: part 1
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2016, 12:24:07 AM »
“Thank you for agreeing to meet with us again.”  Tommy B. said.
“We are honored by your continued interest in one of our titles.”  ParagonSoft Executive said.
“Have you had a chance to review our proposal?  I mean, I’m sure a busy executive, such as yourself, has a hectic schedule.” Mark said.
“Nice save.”  Doug whispered.
“Yes, we have all reviewed your proposal and have found it very well put together.”  ParagonSoft Executive said.
“We are most grateful for your high praise.”  Tommy B. replied.
“There is one issue, if I may suggest.”  Another ParagonSoft Executive said.
The first Paragon Executive scolded the second in Korean.
“Please accept our apologies, my junior assistant spoke out of turn.”  Paragon Executive said.
“If there are any issues, anything that makes you want to hesitate, please let us know.”  Tommy B. pleaded.
“This is not the time or the place for such things.”  ParagonSoft Executive answered.
“Can we please make an appointment to discuss a proper venue for detailing each issue that may or may not be in our proposal?”  Doug asked.
“Don’t be ridiculous.”  Paragon Executive scolded.
“Please, honorable executive, we must know how we can move forward.”  Tommy B. said.
The ParagonSoft executives bickered among themselves in Korean.
“We have decided that your offer in a serious offer.  You are not some frivolous gang.”  ParagonSoft Executive said.
“Your words are like honey to our ears, please continue.”  Tommy B. said.
“We require proof of developer viability to proceed with these talks.”  ParagonSoft Executive stated.
“Ok, what did you have in mind?”  Mark asked.
“We will provide you with a simple programming challenge that should tell us about the skill level of your development team.”  ParagonSoft Executive said.
“That sounds interesting.”  Tommy B. replied.
“We have experience, come on.  So sorry, I wasn’t thinking.”  Mark blurted out.
“Please excuse Mark, he is under a lot of stress, or he’s going to be.”  Doug interjected.
“You Americans amuse us.  We shall meet again and present the details of the challenge.”  ParagonSoft Executive said.
All the ParagonSoft executives stood up in unison and left the room.
I don't know when City of Heroes will return, or do I?

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2016, 04:52:55 AM »
Mark opened the hotel suite door, and entered the room.
Tommy B. and Doug were sitting in front of the TV arguing about what to watch.
“I am so excited.  The package from ParagonSoft arrived.”  Mark said, carrying the large manila envelop.
“Bring it over here; let’s open it.”  Doug ordered.
They sat around the kitchen table poring over the package of documents.
“There is a one hundred meter chain-link fence.  Every ten meters there must be a post.  How many posts will be needed?”  Tommy B. read.
“What kind of programming challenge is this?”  Doug asked.
“Listen to this one, ‘Using no more than three variables swop the values between variables A and B’.”  Mark read.
“There appears to be several college-level programming problems.”  Tommy B. stated.
“Here’s a doozy, ‘What is the correct jQuery syntax to make the background color of a label turn green when clicked on?’.”  Doug read.
“This is very nearly insulting.”  Tommy B. stormed.
“What are you going to do?”  Mark asked.
“They have us by the short hairs; I’m going to the hotel bar.”  Tommy B. snapped.
Tommy B. left the room.
“I’m fairly certain that I could answer all of these in a couple hours.”  Doug responded.
“Good, I’m going to the hotel bar.”  Mark shot back.
Mark left the room.
“Hey, wait for me.”  Doug said.
They all laughed.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2016, 06:14:22 AM »
"Well, I answered all those tricky questions ParagonSoft sent us."  Doug stated.
"Good, knew you could."  Mark rejoined.
"But where does this leave us?"  Tommy B. asked.
"What do you mean."  Mark asked.
"We are here to buy a game."  Tommy B. replied.
"Yeah, we know."  Doug affirmed.
"How does answering a bunch of fool questions get us anywhere?"  Tommy B. asked.
The room was silent.  They pondered the events of the last several weeks.  they wanted the game back so much, they could taste it.  They wanted it back not for the glory if any and not even for the profits which there should be much more than any.  They wanted it back to run paper missions in Steel, to hold costume contests under the globe on Talos, to have all-nighters grinding through a work-force.  They wanted the game back to be heroes again!

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2016, 06:09:17 AM »
He studied the papers delivered that morning with great interest.  He knew that ParagonSoft couldn't just license it's award-winning game to just anybody.  He had hoped against hope that his boss's boss's boss would reconsider, and relaunch the game.  He shudders every time he remembers that aweful day.  "We are going in a new direction."  The high-ups said.  That is always bizSpeak for "Sorry, you lose---haha!"  And now an outside group wants to license the game and take-on it's running and maintenance.  Basically, they want his old job.  The work they turned in is adequete, but how could he turn his baby over to ... THEM!

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 02:01:49 AM »
It was a cloudy day, gray and windy.  The off and on again rain showers depressed him even more than usual.  They had sent the proof of developer viability weeks ago, but still haven’t received a reply.

“Curse you, ParagonSoft!”  Tommy B. muttered out loud as he drained shot of bourbon.
“Tommy!  Ease up on that stuff.”  Doug advised.
“Listen, I know the game biz.  I helped get “Zork II: The Quest For Theopolilopes” launched.  And that was on 16-bit servers.  I designed the whole lore-story system in “Ghost Stalker Dungeon”.  I know.  I know we are being toyed with.  Lead around by our desire for the game.  And there ain’t a ghaw-dang thing we can do about it.”  Tommy complained.
“Getting hammered isn’t going to help.”  Mark interjected.
“Mark, you so-and-so, did I ever tell you how much I can’t stand your guts?”  Tommy B. replied.
“Tommy, you’re drunk.  I’m going out for a walk.”  Mark shot back.
“Sure leave, see what I care!”  Tommy B. shouted.
“Tommy, please settle-down before you do something you’ll regret tomorrow.”  Doug insisted.
“You’re right.”  Tommy B. said settling back into his chair.
“That’s better.”  Doug replied.
“You know it’s true.  There ain’t a ghaw-dang thing we can do about it.”  Tommy B. started to sob.
“Tommy, we will find a way.”  Doug responded.
“No, no!  It’s hopeless.  They ain’t gonna sell us the game.  We’re a bunch of losers.  Look at us, sitting around this hotel room getting drunk.”  Tommy B. fired-back.

The two men sat in the room quiet for several minutes.  Doug knew that Tommy needed to sleep it off, but that didn’t mean that he was entirely wrong.  They hadn’t heard anything from ParagonSoft, and this waiting was getting on everyone’s nerves.  Mark would frequently go for long walks.  One time Doug secretly followed him.  It was as he suspected.  The long walks ended abruptly in certain places where a man could buy anything as it were.  Whatever helps you to cope, Doug didn’t want to judge.

Doug has a wife waiting at home and sometimes he just wants to give up, go home and be done with it.   He knows that there are many people waiting for them to come home and proudly announce that they did it.  The specter of that success keeps him grounded.  Not only would he have the praise and gratitude of the player-base, but his beloved game back.  They just have to succeed.

“I need a drink.”  Tommy B. said standing up and falling back down.
“Tommy?”  Doug asked.
“Ha, bery funny.  Spinnin da room-a-round.”  Tommy B. slurred.
“Just sit there for a while; everything will be much better tomorrow.”  Doug remarked.
Tommy fell asleep.
“Thank ghawd.”  Doug replied.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 08:28:30 PM »
“Good Morning, Future Owners of City of Heroes.”  Tommy B. cheerfully intoned a he walked into the kitchen tying his tie.
“Future Owners of City?  Tommy, what have you heard?”  Mark asked.
“He couldn’t have heard anything, he just woke up.”  Doug interjected.
“Now fellas, don’t fight.”  Tommy B. answered.
“So why are you in such a goof mood this morning, Tommy?”  Mark asked.
“Well I’ll tell ya.  I have a good feeling about the deal.  Today they are going to send for us.”  Tommy B. said sitting at the table.
“Tommy, do you want rice oatmeal or rice cereal?”  Doug asked getting up the cook Tommy’s breakfast.
“Is there any rice bacon and eggs left?”  Tommy B. asked.
“Coming right up.”  Doug said, scooping steaming white rice into a bowl.

“We have got to go shopping today; we’ve run out of everything, but rice and now the rice is gone.”  Mark complained.
“We can’t go out shopping, thanks, Doug; we have to wait here by the phone.”  Tommy B. replied.
“Well, why don’t we call them?”  Mark asked.
“We are the THeM, remember?”  Doug countered.
“No, silly.  I mean, let’s call ParagonSoft.”
“Mark, we agreed to let the executives make the first move.”  Tommy B. stated.
“It has been four months; it’s time we made a move.”  Mark demanded.
“Oh, speaking of that, I got to use the little negotiators room, be right back.”  Doug said and hurried out of the kitchen.

“You know, now that I think of it, it wouldn’t do our case in harm to ask if they were impressed with our proof of developer viability.”  Tommy B. said finishing his bowl of rice.
“We could even present other examples of our development team’s expertise.”  Mark exclaimed.
“Make a shopping list, ‘cause we’re going to town.”  Tommy B. bubbled.
They all laughed.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2017, 01:50:54 AM »
"As you can see, those mare-a-cans answered every question, as westerns would." Executive 1 said
"I see, this means that the Korean culutre of the game would be lost." Executive 2 replied
"That would be most unfortunate."  Executive 3 stated
"You fail to see things clearly."  Top-Executive said
"Oh, master, we are so sorry."  executive 1 said
"Yes, you don't understand.  City of Heroes is set in the West." Top-Executive explained
"Maybe these westerners might have a better understanding of the West than we."  Executive 3 said
"Yes, but Mare-a-cans, they are so un ancient." Executive 2 remarked.
They all laughed.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »
“There is still no answer.”
“Keep trying.”  Top Executive ordered.
“Begging your pardon most wise and honorable sir, but maybe the THeM returned to their homeland.”  Executive 3 said.
“It is very possible that the THeM simply gave up.”  Executive 1 said.
“Silence!”  Top Executive demanded.
“Forgive us, master.”  Executives 1, 2 and 3 said.
“Those mare-a-cans seemed determined.  That Western stick-to-it-a-tive-ness that we find so distasteful.”
“Of course, most honorable sir.”  Executive 2 said.
“Then again, they are easily discouraged.  They might decide that a task is too difficult and just gave-up.”  Top Executive mused.
“You have unequaled knowledge of Western ways, sir.”  Executive 3 said.

“Might I propose another scenario?”  Executive 2 asked.
“We shall consider all alternatives.”  Top Executive replied.
“Most honorable, sir, maybe the THeM are playing hard-to-get, and trying to change the terms of the deal in the THeM’s favor.”  Executive 2 explained.
“I said that we shall consider all alternatives, but not foolishness.”  Top Executive shot back.
They all laughed.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2018, 03:56:42 AM »
"Most honorable, master.  I have shamed myself and all my ancestors"  Executive 1 admitted.
"Please, explain."  Top Executive ordered.
"I have been dialing the incorrect number."
"You fool!  You are now Executive 9, and Executive 2 is now number 1 executive.  Executive 3 stays where he is."
"Ah shucks."  Executive 3 muttered.
They all laughed.