Author Topic: My first experience in the actual CO forums  (Read 9415 times)

Soul Resonance

• Boss
My first experience in the actual CO forums
« on: November 08, 2015, 08:17:33 PM »
Just thought i'd start a thread about my experience I had recently in which I actually posted in the CO forums  :o(I'm bored dangit! :P).
It was me questioning exactly Why CO is so antagonistic toward any mention of CoH..the responses, for the most part were pretty civil and justifiable(the first wave of CoHers -really- ticked off CO forums/players  :'() Then, it got very..weird  :-\. One poster talked about because one group of CoHers was loud and rude, that ALL of the community must be like that(though he did later say he'll still be nice/receiving to CoHers, but that CO as a whole has deemed CoH community as rubbish). "Ok..?" I thought. During that time, I believe I mentioned these efforts. That's when things went all topsy turby on me :P.
First, someone who is very adamant for CO going on a sanctimonious rant about how welcoming CO was to CoH at first(they weren't bad but the way he painted them it made them basically look like perfect angels(granted those in game were very nice, just again, not perfect(no one is :P))). Then he went on to say how childish the CoH community was for not liking Jack Emmerett for ED(ED sucked but that's not really why we don't enjoy him but hey! He's a CoH and CO expert!). As well as the mega hate thread that CoH had in the forums pre-shutdown, in which he stated how most of the hate was "word of mouth" or "Friend of a friend" informed, when he did the Exact same thing not only in the Jack Emmerett post, but in other subsequent post in the thread(as well as the really old post when CoH reguees were being discussed in CO post shutdown). I also believe for a bit, CO had a hate thread(granted, it had other topics discussed within but still, a lot of CoH hate was in that thread, a lot.) Also, at one point in the thread, someone asked for prove of the revival efforts, of which I did my best to find what was not under NDA(I linked both the Mask comes off and New efforts threads, as well as an article on the efforts(I was trying to find the one where Nate speaks, but couldn't  :'() And was dismissed as starting "CoH drama" and it being poppycock.
So yeah. Getting a LTS to CO still, and CoH upon return, but never, EVER, interacting with those forumers again. Ever.
Instead of offering a civil logical rebuttle(some did, of which I acknowledged, but the majority didn't) they resort to plugging their ears and dismissing my information as drama and not real. And they called us childish  ???
50's: Necro/Dark, Fire x3 Dom, Plant/Savage Dom, Ice/Time Blaster, Arch/TA Blaster, SS/Elec Brute, Rad/Rad Def.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
Re: My first experience in the actual CO forums
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 08:44:25 PM »
I completely understand, I myself had such a bad experience with being called a troll and lied about. That is why I will never post anything there again. And LA has more experience there and he himself had a bad experience as well.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 09:14:44 PM »
I've been playing Champions Online for three years now. I tried it back in 2010 but I didn't seriously play it until after the shutdown announcement was made.

I will say that I can understand the attitude of both parties. When COX was first shutdown-- and even now every so often-- you would see someone in broadcast talk about how much they disliked CO and how lousy it was compared to COX. This happened a lot. I'd also see other people talk about how they were glad that COX was shutdown. If the only comment someone makes about your favorite game is to put it down it's understandable that you would be left with a less than favorable impression of them.

I have met jerks in CO, but then I also met jerks in COX. I've also met some nice, friendly people there as well.

Soul Resonance

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 09:19:41 PM »
I've been playing Champions Online for three years now. I tried it back in 2010 but I didn't seriously play it until after the shutdown announcement was made.

I will say that I can understand the attitude of both parties. When COX was first shutdown-- and even now every so often-- you would see someone in broadcast talk about how much they disliked CO and how lousy it was compared to COX. This happened a lot. I'd also see other people talk about how they were glad that COX was shutdown. If the only comment someone makes about your favorite game is to put it down it's understandable that you would be left with a less than favorable impression of them.

I have met jerks in CO, but then I also met jerks in COX. I've also met some nice, friendly people there as well.
Same, I've met some very kind people(Mentella being one such person :>), aaaand then on the forums it completely shifts to garbage and childish dribble
50's: Necro/Dark, Fire x3 Dom, Plant/Savage Dom, Ice/Time Blaster, Arch/TA Blaster, SS/Elec Brute, Rad/Rad Def.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 12:14:05 AM »
I started playing CO the first time when it was fairly new. I want to say it was a few months old. I learned very quickly to not advertise I was a CoH player and never say I preferred anything in CoH over CO publicly either in game chat or on the forums. Mostly I learned this by watching other players get attacked for it. Some of them deserved it, I will admit, but some of it seems to be a knee-jerk reaction from the CO playerbase. When CoH was shut down and a lot of players moved to CO this only seemed to get worse. Eventually I stopped bothering with the forums at all, but up till a few months ago when I finally stopped playing CO this was still the case in chat most of the time.

I've been on partial disability for some years now, and retired/full disability for a while. I have a lot of time to play a lot of games. I could mention any number of experiences or opinions on any number of other games in chat in CO, but I only ever caught flack for mentioning CoH.

Soul Resonance

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 12:45:59 AM »
I started playing CO the first time when it was fairly new. I want to say it was a few months old. I learned very quickly to not advertise I was a CoH player and never say I preferred anything in CoH over CO publicly either in game chat or on the forums. Mostly I learned this by watching other players get attacked for it. Some of them deserved it, I will admit, but some of it seems to be a knee-jerk reaction from the CO playerbase. When CoH was shut down and a lot of players moved to CO this only seemed to get worse. Eventually I stopped bothering with the forums at all, but up till a few months ago when I finally stopped playing CO this was still the case in chat most of the time.

I've been on partial disability for some years now, and retired/full disability for a while. I have a lot of time to play a lot of games. I could mention any number of experiences or opinions on any number of other games in chat in CO, but I only ever caught flack for mentioning CoH.
Yeah...and unfortunately the good players on both ends are caught in the crossfire and generalized by either side as negative people..
I do plan to hopefully mend the bridge when CoH returns by getting a LTS to CO in show of good faith, as well as mentioning them when I do a live stream of CoH. I'll even live stream any updates to CO post CoH revival as well :D

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 03:09:38 PM »
The CO forum community is about 90% why I believe CO will ultimately fail.

Which is a shame, because CO had a lot of potential.  It could have been a game with good depth, and a fun reasonably challenging experience when it came out.  But then many forum trolls generally made cherry-pick suggestions over time.  Many of them clearly had a, from what my experiences in any conversation with them on the forums, a mindset of "play my way or the high way".  This became all the more apparent with a couple I'd actually talked with in CO's chat.  One of which actually claimed responsability for my most hated plasma beam nerf.  But my reason for hating the plasma beam nerf isn't just that the vehicle weapon was rendered useless, it was how CO's community tore itself up over it and what it truely MEANT.  Trolls really rubbed it in to people who felt ripped off.  And the change meant that CO's developers were so open minded as their brains had fallen out and were easy to pull in just about any bad direction.

Which CO's forum community exploits constantly for their own selfish desires of a 'balanced' game, that is, a game where only one tactic they use works and everything else fails cause they dislike everything else.

It's almost nothing but trolls, and scrubs, in the CO forums.  And the fact that they can convince the devs to do just about any lame, and stupid thing they please is killing the game. 

Continue denying the truth thats right in front of them(CO is dying).  They are in total denial of that, even more they have a reason to be, since it is their fault.

I'm not saying ALL of CO's forum goers are evil, but the sad thing is, the ones that are smart all recognize that last sentence as true.  90% of them either left, or left and became detractors(like me).  The last 10% that stay continue arguing more the immediate above issue.  But any idea they do post gets shot down and ignored by the devs.  And the fact that one of the more corrupt forum moderators who someone even called a demagogue became one of CO's developers, shows just how...corrupt CO's inner forum community/developers are to me.

All of that is why I don't post there anymore.  The sickness and corruption that is CO's forum community and the depths of it, it can only end one of two ways.  CO shutting down, inevitably.  Or it becomes so dead the trolls are the only ones remaining and away from healthier upcoming games whether it's City of heroes, city of titans, or valiance online.  Or even revival.  Either way, CO dies, because in both situations better games arrive and the smart players leave.

Edit: I guess I should comment on CO's xenophobia of every other game and community.  It's because they treat everyone as an enemy that could destroy them, because they know that competition is bad for them.  A lot like these cable guys in south park: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0sAVtOt2wA .  Hell even the conversations "Oh thats to bad, you'll have to go to DCUO but they suck!  Guess you'll have to deal with the fact my way of playing is the best!".  And just like those cable guys, if they did have competition they'd die very, very fast.

Another Edit: And yes, I am aware I never mentioned CO's hate of CoX or anyone but the last edit.  But thing is, people talked of that xenophobia already, and how double standard and unwilling people are to move on from that xenophobia.  So I thought of bringing up the other atrocities, the ones that got to me the most.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 04:16:25 PM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 04:32:51 PM »
Second post since I was slightly off topic regarding CO's forum community.

I experienced very similar myself about "CO anti-CoX player bigotry".  Except for vehicle adjustments(and even that was mishandled), a huge majority of my ideas were ignored or dismissed purely on my being a city of heroes player, and they'd never give coherent arguements of any kind.  I also experienced similar in the CO zone chat.  They often had a "sucks to be you" attitude when i said anything would be a good idea for diversity sake; especially things that'd encourage teamplay without resorting to making support do nothing but heal.  Like crowd control, buffs, debuffs ect.  But see they wanted a game where there was no strategy at all, and saw I was a Cox player, so they'd target that instead of make any kind of valid arguements for their side of things.

This was BEFORE the atrocities that truely set me against them.  But see some of them were also arguing for "I just want to heal and I want everything nerfed so I am needed for my healing", or "Hybrids are bad because i'm never taken" or "that sounds like hybrid play to me." while fully disregarding the strategy the player was using as I described CoX support play.  The closed mindedness of so many CO players ultimately lead to what I described above and I feel the CO communities hatred of CoX players ultimately lead to the monster I described; con artist scrubs who only wants people playing by their fictitious rules.

City of heroes players can't say anything and have no voice in CO's forums or even zone chat, because of the bigotry, which merely acts as one of the censors CO has in place to keep any smart ideas and discussions from being made.  The others, course, are how in bed the developers and some moderators are with those same trolls who want every effort every where else to fail.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 07:16:10 PM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 08:31:01 PM »
My last post there had nothing to do with CoH.  It was in a topic where I was talking about how it'd be nice if there was more of a choice between equally-effective heals with different secondary effects, so I didn't have to take the same heal regardless of character concept, and the responses I got were along the lines of "a choice between a good skill and a useless skill is still a choice"... and they meant that literally!  When I pointed out that, no, a choice where only one option is good is not really a choice at all, they started replying with pictures of laughing My Little Ponies.

That's when I said "Okay, I'm out", and never posted again.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 10:01:50 PM »
My last post there had nothing to do with CoH.  It was in a topic where I was talking about how it'd be nice if there was more of a choice between equally-effective heals with different secondary effects, so I didn't have to take the same heal regardless of character concept, and the responses I got were along the lines of "a choice between a good skill and a useless skill is still a choice"... and they meant that literally!  When I pointed out that, no, a choice where only one option is good is not really a choice at all, they started replying with pictures of laughing My Little Ponies.

It sounds like the average age of CO-ers is, like, 12.

Soul Resonance

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 10:25:33 PM »

Really? was it in the legacy forums? If not, do you have a link o.o?

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 05:10:54 AM »
It sounds like the average age of CO-ers is, like, 12.

Not to put too fine a point on it, that's my overall impression of CO-ers.  I never posted in forums, never spoke up in their version of broadcast, but while struggling to understand the UI and the game itself I was repeatedly griefed and trolled.  This was so completely opposite of my experience as a noob in CoX that it pretty much cemented my dislike for the game as well as the people playing it.  This is why CO is no longer on my computer.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 08:15:40 AM »
I'm fairly convinced that as time goes by the attitudes get worse in part because anyone with a little insight can clearly see that CO is going no where but down.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 03:06:37 PM »
I'm fairly convinced that as time goes by the attitudes get worse in part because anyone with a little insight can clearly see that CO is going no where but down.

Which is a shame, because underneath it all there's a good game there. 

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 03:46:13 PM »
Which is a shame, because underneath it all there's a good game there.

It is a shame and I really don't blame people for being upset over it.

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 03:19:52 AM »

Link pls.
Spess

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 05:46:58 AM »
I don't post on their forum but the game is fun. So are the players. Been playing since a little after CoH went away and have been having a pretty good time.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 04:47:33 PM »
Really? was it in the legacy forums? If not, do you have a link o.o?

I guess it was the legacy forums.  This was over a year ago, before they changed to the Arc site.

Edit: oh, found it: http://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/discussion/comment/1918463/#Comment_1918463

Looks like I actually did post once more after that, but that was it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 04:52:57 PM by Thunder Glove »

Soul Resonance

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2015, 06:07:00 PM »
I guess it was the legacy forums.  This was over a year ago, before they changed to the Arc site.

Edit: oh, found it: http://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/discussion/comment/1918463/#Comment_1918463

Looks like I actually did post once more after that, but that was it.
Quite a bit to read, let's hope I'm still sane(or at least, in my current state of insanity :P) when I return  ;D

EDIT: After reading it all I can say is: *ahem*.....hahahAHAHhahahahah *gasp* AAhhhahahahaha! hahaha...and biff's response at the end! hahahahah..oh..I think i'm gonna cough up a lung ;D :roll: ;D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 07:17:29 PM by Soul Resonance »

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 09:41:17 PM »
Since we are sharing our experience, let me show you where I tried to stop posting. I know some doubted when I said I was lied about. :) http://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/discussion/comment/1984129/#Comment_1984129

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 07:15:54 PM »
Quite a bit to read, let's hope I'm still sane(or at least, in my current state of insanity :P) when I return  ;D

EDIT: After reading it all I can say is: *ahem*.....hahahAHAHhahahahah *gasp* AAhhhahahahaha! hahaha...and biff's response at the end! hahahahah..oh..I think i'm gonna cough up a lung ;D :roll: ;D

Yeah, biff's usual response; "Who cares about population playing the game, it's still running".  That guy is more frustrating and stubborn than a donkey that thinks doorknobs are for eating.

CO's communities biggest weaknesses have tbh, been in the fact that they also had two very stupid and biased forum moderators.  Of the three, Biffsmackwell, Kaizerin, and Trailturtle, Trailturtle was the only one who was neutral and impartial to the forum opinion.  Kaizerin and Biff always sided with the very trolls that'd do stupid things like literally saying a choice between one good power and two broken unfunctional powers was a choice.

I am AMAZED that Kaizerin got chosen to be a developer with such an attitude.

But the overall nature of people like the trolls I won't mention, or the asswhipe shfg types/scrubs that generally only want people either playing like them or sucking for not playing like them, is they do it for attention and feelings of false power.

Soul Resonance

• Boss
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 08:17:18 PM »
Yeah, biff's usual response; "Who cares about population playing the game, it's still running".  That guy is more frustrating and stubborn than a donkey that thinks doorknobs are for eating.

CO's communities biggest weaknesses have tbh, been in the fact that they also had two very stupid and biased forum moderators.  Of the three, Biffsmackwell, Kaizerin, and Trailturtle, Trailturtle was the only one who was neutral and impartial to the forum opinion.  Kaizerin and Biff always sided with the very trolls that'd do stupid things like literally saying a choice between one good power and two broken unfunctional powers was a choice.

I am AMAZED that Kaizerin got chosen to be a developer with such an attitude.

But the overall nature of people like the trolls I won't mention, or the asswhipe shfg types/scrubs that generally only want people either playing like them or sucking for not playing like them, is they do it for attention and feelings of false power.
I was laughing more along the lines of at the end, "Well i'm not gonna donate cause of your attitude to CoT"...after it already made $100K in a few days. That's like telling apple or WoW: "I'm not gonna buy your next product or donate to you because [insert reason here].". I'm sure their response will most likely be: "..."  ;D

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 08:41:33 PM »
I was laughing more along the lines of at the end, "Well i'm not gonna donate cause of your attitude to CoT"...after it already made $100K in a few days. That's like telling apple or WoW: "I'm not gonna buy your next product or donate to you because [insert reason here].". I'm sure their response will most likely be: "..."  ;D

I think it's more he was just being a hateful fanboy who goaded everyone into negative responses as usual.  I can see why people hate him.  He's a troll like the forums he moderates.  It's no different then say, having a corrupt law enforcement at a county/town/city level.  Criminals thrive because the police work with them, everyone and the community suffers for it.  And in this case, they act to censor smart and practical solutions to problems they have in order to maintain the status quo.  The definition of tyranny.

Mistress Bloodwrath

• Boss
  • Femme Fatale
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 12:27:09 AM »
Oh wow, I'm in those threads. In fact, one of them is the VERY THREAD that has the post where I figure out that Jon "CoX was Boring" Sills didn't play very far before quitting: http://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/discussion/comment/1918892/#Comment_1918892

But yeah, the forums over there are terribad. Even the STO forums and the Neverstopwhiners. Completely filled to the brim with trolls and asshats. Avoid them entirely.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 06:01:04 AM »
Oh wow, I'm in those threads. In fact, one of them is the VERY THREAD that has the post where I figure out that Jon "CoX was Boring" Sills didn't play very far before quitting: http://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/discussion/comment/1918892/#Comment_1918892

But yeah, the forums over there are terribad. Even the STO forums and the Neverstopwhiners. Completely filled to the brim with trolls and asshats. Avoid them entirely.
I had a few run ins with Jon myself, the last time I wrote something he called me a troll, when I was asking for clarification and calling someone a liar. He and a few of his "buddies" have created a "forum cartel" where what they write goes, if you do not agree or say something is not right they dog you. I agree Jon is a tool always has been always will be. :)
Imho sto is a bit better considering they are watched by pwe, I wouldn't touch nwn boards though.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 01:16:02 PM »
Hey I have a first experience to share, now.

I got bored because it's been a ghost town HERE lately soooo I cruised the official forums for the first time ever and right off something caught my eye so I commented on it.

I got 1 agree, 1 acknowledgement of the point from the OP, and was then removed from that sub=forum.

TOP THAT!

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Soul Resonance

• Boss
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2015, 03:28:24 PM »

I got bored because it's been a ghost town HERE lately soooo I cruised the official forums for the first time ever and right off something caught my eye so I commented on it.

I got 1 agree, 1 acknowledgement of the point from the OP, and was then removed from that sub=forum.

TOP THAT!
:P

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2015, 10:52:37 PM »
Hehe
Some Faves:

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2015, 09:28:53 PM »

TOP THAT!

I asked if the forum trolls felt like heroes yet, and then asked the devs if they felt competent yet.  This was when they nerfed plasma shear and left half the community feeling baited and switched.  Needless to say, the post and about 5-6 other pages got removed.

Note: I don't want any answers to those questions and even said I didn't want any.  One idiot actually answered "yet" and said idiot was making it stupidly easy for the trolls to win constantly.

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2015, 07:13:21 AM »
The forums treated me nice the first time.
Spess

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2015, 01:28:09 PM »
I seriously got punted from whatever the PTS forum is called. It went just like above. It's description says it's a 'Gold' forum but they didn't remove my access to any other forums that say the same thing. Just the one I posted in.

No explanation, no notification in the post that the person who just posted (me) got punted so he can't reply to any further comments.

I'm almost positive I saw @avianos post under the same topic and he's a long time Silver and darn proud of it.

Whateveh. I saw a lot of familiar @'s on my cruise over there and was even looking forward to an occasional post/reply but that place is scary anyway. Ignorance is bliss.. This way I don't have to see the awful game changing suggestions and worry they might actually make it the game. I didn't mean for that last statement to sound harsh. It was sincere.

Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2015, 02:44:08 PM »
I faced my fears and went back... lol

My PTS forum access had been re-instated and my avatar REMOVED. *snicker*...

Those whacky CO forums.

Go figure.
Some Faves: