Author Topic: Fallout 4 - My thoughts  (Read 3579 times)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Fallout 4 - My thoughts
« on: November 30, 2015, 08:20:50 PM »
So far, Fallout 4 has left me awestruck for a bethesda game.  Unlike 3, which had an especially bad and even very cliche story set in a wasteland that is a little to old for the story to begin with, fallout 4's main quest focuses far more on emotional loss and development from it. 

Spoiler for Hidden:
In the very beginning your just a caring father or mother living a happy life in the year 2077, the very day the bombs fall.  Shortly before they drop, however, your invited into the towns local vault.  The sequence acts as a shorter tutorial section, but when the bombs fall, and your deceptively entered into a cryo stasis chamber, never to be released.  Until a jerk and a scientist comes to kidnap your baby and kills your spouse.  The chamber freezes you again but you are shortly after released on a quest to find your missing child.

After the sequence, your in vault 111 and the typical 'bethesda starting dungeon' begins.  It's not as uneventful as fallout 3's tutorial, nore as dull.  After getting out of the vault, your released into a swampier world than in F3 or new vegas, and at that point, your introduced to the main game.

Combat and Character Customization:

The combat is far more decisive in fallout 4 than it is in F3 or new vegas.  No longer are you simply stopping the time whenever you have the action points and getting free hits.  Vats now simply gives you a slow mo in which you now have to quickly make your decisions as to what parts you shoot.  Unlike fallout 3 or new vegas, there are no dump stats in the game, and in vats, your perception directly effects your chances to hit a target.  Your agility has a far larger effect on how many action points you have.  Another change to vats is critical strikes, instead of exclusively having critical strikes, you have a "critical meter" which fills in vats with every hit you land.  Higher luck ratings cause it to fill faster, as well as unlocking perks to enable you to even "bank" extra critical strikes.

Luck also directly determines how often you find bottlecaps and ammo in containers.  An unlucky character WILL have an ammo shortage, trust me, my first play through was with luck 1.

The stats which have no effect on vats are also not dump stats.  Endurance scales retroactively with health.  Strength can let you upgrade armor at a minimum and greatly effects melee damage(far more than the pidly 1-5 points in F3 or NV), and Intelligence is a craftsmanship skill for ranged users and even effects your raw leveling speed.

And charisma is as useless as ever- wait, no thats new vegas.  Charisma instead, becomes one of the most important stats.  In fallout 4 charisma at the very least directly effects prices and lets you successfully pass speech checks regularly.  But fallout 4 also enables you to establish, and rebuild and take control of towns in the game through a series of side quests or even simple discovery.  And the game lets you build just about anything you wish from a small shack to a building on top of another building, the only limiting factor is resources.  And charisma not only makes the prices for some materials better, but from what I've seen a minimum of SIX is required to establish trade to make those materials available to all of your settlements.  No amount of wealth will come if you cannot move your materials to that rich central positioned drive in that you plan to turn into a shopping center!

And of course items are prohibitively expensive in the game.  Even something as simple as a fusion cell can cost as much as eight or more caps a shot.  While it's possible to make it without establishing a territorial power base total war style, it certainly helps in affording ammo and chems when you can simply produce excesses of crops, purified water and also have scavengers collecting resources for you in 4-5 towns.

And likewise, there is no cap to how much you wish to increase your special scores.  Every time you level you either choose a perk or increase a special score, and often you may not have any useful perks to invest in so you naturally pick a SPECIAL.  With no level cap I could easily see someone making a 'perfect' character, but likewise it'd take prohibitively long even if your pumping mentats and maxed intelligence or made a person with idiot savant.

Lastly, Special scores can be boosted above 10 and benefit you, but you cannot train them above 10.  Although I read you can get a stat to 11 permanently with a bobblehead after having hit 10 in it.

Armor also functions as a more combination of damage threshold from new vegas and resistance; the bigger the bullet or more destructive the shot, the more damage it will retain against armor.  Armor cannot completely negate damage, but using a .32 pipe weapon against a super mutant is generally a poor idea, even on normal mode, because they simply have enough armor to remove most of such weapons damage.

How roleplay friendly is it?

As with most modern roleplaying games, combat is something thats unavoidable, for the most part from what I've seen.  I think it could be possible to only kill those the game asks, but it'd take a dedicated sneaker to do so.  And even then, some quests just flat out require you to go to violence.  But there are quests that very much ask you to use peaceful solutions, and a high charisma or good agility can be important to do so.

As for choices, fallout 4 actually lets you choose who you side with this time and has a branching story line with it.  No longer do you have to side with the brotherhood of steel, in fact you may even find good reasons to not side with them.  When I first played I chose to side with who i'd thought were cliche badguys only to find they had their reasons behind their decisions.  All the same, it's very easy to anger a group that'd otherwise be thought of nice simply due to their sheer paranoia and even half hostility towards you for no reason.  The overall story doesn't seem to have the same black and white problem that fallout 3 had of "your either super good and with the brotherhood, or you enclave and have to die!".

How does increasing the difficulty scale for subsequent playthroughs?

Unlike Skyrim, or even fallout 3, fallout 4 doesn't quite play the same game of "increase their toughness to absurd levels" that previous bethesda games are imfamous for.  Instead enemies only see, at best, a marginal increase in toughness on very hard.  I have not played on survival, but read it's no different other than decreased health recovery speeds from healing items.  Enemy damage still see's a significant increase, even enough so to make some otherwise less threatening enemies deceptively dangerous(in fact I was instantly killed by a 'legendary' rabid radstag, bastard instantly initiated a fatality move on me when I had full health).

The biggest change though, is the game has "Legendary" enemies, who are random mini bosses that can show up at any time, anywhere.  And they show up somewhat frequently on normal, but become a regular thing on hard/very hard.  Legendary enemies can instantly heal their health back to full by 'mutating' if you do not instantly kill them yourself, and they have a significant increase of damage.  However they are still largely counterable.  The real kick is when your dealing with enemies typically used as bosses in the first place.  Such enemies take massive amounts of damage to begin with, and the durability increase, small as it is, can become a major problem on hard/very hard.  In a way, fallout 4 on very hard suffers the same problem that skyrim suffered; they become overpowered and you often resort to some kind of 'cheese' tactic to deal with them early on.  In fallout 4, it's simply using jet or psycho, or even "psycho jet".  There is no shame in using chems to deal with a boss fight in fallout 4.

Using correct weaponry is also important in fallout 4, because as stated earlier, armor acts both as resistance and a threshold.  A plasma weapon or upgraded combat shotgun for example will punch through that deathclaw alpha male along the train tracks pretty quickly.  But the minigun or even normal automatic can easily destroy a pack of poorly armored raiders no trouble.  This generally ensures no one weapon is truly dominant in fallout 4, and tends towards new vegas in style; use big hitting weapons on tough hided enemies such as deathclaws and supermutants, ligher weapons on raiders ect.

Even going from using a weapon inflicting 30 damage/shot to a weapon inflicting 60/shot can cut the number of shots needed down from 10-15 shots to only 2-3 against a super mutant!

Overall, fallout 4 on higher difficulties, with a few exceptions, is a game i'd happily play on very hard most of the time, easily.  With a few exceptions(such exceptions being a pain even on normal anyways, you'll know them when you see them), the game tends towards challenging on higher difficulties rather than punishing.

How do companions perform?

Very well, surprisingly.  Unlike fallout 3 or new vegas, where companions mostly got in the way and were either useless(fallout 3 pre broken steel) or brutally op(F3 post steel) or just someone you never used(new vegas in hardcore or any DLC), companions so far are a bit more usable in the game.  You can now choose exactly what weapon you wish a companion to use, for the most part, and while they still sometimes jump on an enemy your sneaking near, they aren't as recklessly stupid as they were in fallout 3 or new vegas.  Companions cannot die
Spoiler for Hidden:
(which WILL be a bummer to some who wanted to kill a certain brat in F3)
, but instead collapse to the ground skyrim style.  This time however you CAN heal a fallen companion, which is useful, because of how frequently it can happen earlier on.  You can also give them better armor far more easily in fallout 4 than in new vegas, and charisma has perks to make them not only tougher and more destructive, but also carry more stuff for you.  Romance just as well have been as it was in saints row 4 however, as in many rpgs; all you need is to say the right stuff and have the charisma for it.

Companions can be equipped with weaponry to, and with the way weapons can be upgraded, it's very possible to keep a companion well equipped throughout the game.  This is especially true if you go for a power economy from settlements(yeah, charisma really does feel like the one stat to rule the rest at times).

Overall:

Fallout 4 is a big improvement over the fake difficulty and bad story that 3 suffered from, and inspite being a bethesda game, it isn't like skyrim where any higher than adept is simply code for"kill me instantly everywhere I go".  It's story isn't perfect, but it's a massive improvement over 3 or even skyrim in some ways.  It battles moral grays and your actions can have consequences, which is a huge thing.  The settlement system is fun to play with, and building your own styled buildings is a neat thing, and something I'll write on another time as I learn more about it; it simply takes time to master it.  But fallout 4 is a game that I'd be happy to play multiple times through.  It's better balanced than fallout 3 or new vegas gameplay wise(anyone who used a laser rifle in new vegas knows what I mean when I say crit monkey).

(I do plan to write more as I explore more and get a better idea of the random things in the game, but so far exploration is awesome to, although some maps prove an exception to that).
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
Re: Fallout 4 - My thoughts
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 06:25:16 AM »
I was a big fan of Fall out 1 and 2 by Shiny and 3 and New vegas by Bethesda as well as 4.  I never found them to be really artificially difficult though.  Even on hardcore mode in Fallout New Vegas was pretty easy.  Same with Fall out 4.  Even on Survival its barely a challenge anymore after level 30.

indiramourning

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 03:51:36 PM »
Thank you for your review Alex.  Are you playing the PC or Console version?  I'm a PC gamer--I know console gaming is cool, but it's just not my thing.  Bethesda has major issues porting their console games to PC.  It's like they are actively discouraging PC gamers from playing their games the interface conversion from console to PC is so poor.  I've heard bad things about Fallout 4 in this regard.  What is your opinion?

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 07:20:03 PM »
I'm playing the PC version, which has some small graphical issues, somewhat, in that textures can occasionally load slower than normal.  I suspect my system is to blame(I'm in between the recommended and the min requirements).  I also discovered a bug in which if you have a TV in your settlement that is powered, the resource/bed numbers as well as the settlement population gets artificially screwy and the settlement happiness takes a plummet even if you have enough defense for the food/water and enough beds for people to sleep in.  I suspect the same glitch can also prevent settlements from properly growing.

They are releasing some fixes already, though, the first beta patch they released on day one fixed a crash issue, and the upcoming version fixes performance issues at Corvega assembly, which is an important location for expanding your settlement control(which is vital for high charisma characters, population is power).  You also have to account for mods that were already coming out even before official mod support was released.

Other than those issues though, I found the game to be pretty stable for the most part.  It'll sometimes get stuck in loading or crash after like 4-5 hours of play, but often thats more when I need to take a break anyways.

I agree with Taceus Jiwede on difficulty, fallout 4 is a game where being a high level with even half smart perk choices can make the game very easy on any difficulty setting.  What I mean by artificial difficulty though is where for example, in fallout 3 every single enemy became an albino radscorpion/overlord/ferel ghoul reaver while every enemy in point lookout blantly cheated with +35 damage ignoring armor per hit on weapons that only applied to the AI.  Generally Fallout 4 has it's moments, but it's nothing severe or frequent.  In fact some of the worst case scenarios(raiders in power armor with a fatman) are somewhat telegraphed and only tend to happen once, most of the time(not to mention, enemies with missiles and mini nukes CAN run out of ammo).

My last character before I scrapped her got as high as level 60(the newest one will get higher) and I even made the poor decision to switch from pistols to rifles when I could have just started with rifles.  And I switched in the mid 30s on her and probably did not need to and could have gone with demolition expert instead.  I also had idiot savant(a perk I regretted using from leveling TO fast) and toughness(one of the weakest long-term perks thats made specifically to make the early levels easier) and found the late game to be easy simply due to my equipment being very good.  So you cannot really go wrong with how you develop your character unless you deliberately try to do stupid things.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 02:09:53 AM »
I'm playing the PC version, which has some small graphical issues, somewhat, in that textures can occasionally load slower than normal.  I suspect my system is to blame(I'm in between the recommended and the min requirements).  I also discovered a bug in which if you have a TV in your settlement that is powered, the resource/bed numbers as well as the settlement population gets artificially screwy and the settlement happiness takes a plummet even if you have enough defense for the food/water and enough beds for people to sleep in.  I suspect the same glitch can also prevent settlements from properly growing.

They are releasing some fixes already, though, the first beta patch they released on day one fixed a crash issue, and the upcoming version fixes performance issues at Corvega assembly, which is an important location for expanding your settlement control(which is vital for high charisma characters, population is power).  You also have to account for mods that were already coming out even before official mod support was released.

Other than those issues though, I found the game to be pretty stable for the most part.  It'll sometimes get stuck in loading or crash after like 4-5 hours of play, but often thats more when I need to take a break anyways.

I agree with Taceus Jiwede on difficulty, fallout 4 is a game where being a high level with even half smart perk choices can make the game very easy on any difficulty setting.  What I mean by artificial difficulty though is where for example, in fallout 3 every single enemy became an albino radscorpion/overlord/ferel ghoul reaver while every enemy in point lookout blantly cheated with +35 damage ignoring armor per hit on weapons that only applied to the AI.  Generally Fallout 4 has it's moments, but it's nothing severe or frequent.  In fact some of the worst case scenarios(raiders in power armor with a fatman) are somewhat telegraphed and only tend to happen once, most of the time(not to mention, enemies with missiles and mini nukes CAN run out of ammo).

My last character before I scrapped her got as high as level 60(the newest one will get higher) and I even made the poor decision to switch from pistols to rifles when I could have just started with rifles.  And I switched in the mid 30s on her and probably did not need to and could have gone with demolition expert instead.  I also had idiot savant(a perk I regretted using from leveling TO fast) and toughness(one of the weakest long-term perks thats made specifically to make the early levels easier) and found the late game to be easy simply due to my equipment being very good.  So you cannot really go wrong with how you develop your character unless you deliberately try to do stupid things.

Ahh I see what you mean.  The like level scaling of enemies along with the character that always managed to keep you at a lower level then them.  I really like how in Fall out 4 enemy's will move into cleared out areas as well.  The old games they just stayed dead for ever and eventually made the world feel empty.

Thank you for your review Alex.  Are you playing the PC or Console version?  I'm a PC gamer--I know console gaming is cool, but it's just not my thing.  Bethesda has major issues porting their console games to PC.  It's like they are actively discouraging PC gamers from playing their games the interface conversion from console to PC is so poor.  I've heard bad things about Fallout 4 in this regard.  What is your opinion?

I believe Fall out is better on the PC.  For a few small reasons(With the exclusions of the bug increases).  The first being it just feels more comfortable to me on a mouse and keyboard.  The second one is modding.  There are always some really cool mods out there for these games.  And the third is the console command window.  While I usually stay out of this unless I am bored and wanna make some enemy battles.  But I have had cases where an NPC bugs out on me and I can't complete a quest.  And this quest is just one step from being done but I can never get it out of my Quest log.  In times like this when the game bugs out its nice to have some more options at your disposal.  Even if that means using a command to force a bugged quest to complete.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 01:23:10 AM »
I'm already using a mod to allow me to use ballistic weave on a wider variety of clothing items.  I don't use equipment upgrades that I feel have no place on some things but it helped me get more variety in how my character dressed and wear a wider variety of armor.  Enabling mods is very tricky business though; the main launcher was recently changed to remove a secret option in it.

I also like how containers reset.  Which combined with how luck effects cap and ammo frequency is a nice move.  It also makes scrounger more appealing to some.  Randomly getting 3-4 fusion cores is always a satisfying feeling.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 03:29:28 AM by LaughingAlex »

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 01:42:37 AM »

And now I'm about to start Fallout 4. This is the first Fallout game I've played, so we'll see how things work out. :D