More Titan Projects > Icon

How To Install Icon/Paragon Chat for Mac

(1/6) > >>

Manga:
The first thing you will need to install Icon or Paragon Chat for Mac is Island Rum.  Not the drink, but the installer.  That's located here:

Island Rum for Mac

You may also need something called XQuartz, which is distributed as a standard Mac installer disk image:

XQuartz

And finally, if you haven't installed it already, you will need to install Xcode for Mac, which is free in the Mac App Store.

Next thing you will need is called Homebrew.  That's not a drink either, it's an installer.  Which is here, complete with instructions to use with Terminal on the Mac:

Homebrew for Mac

Once those things are installed, then you will need Wine.  Once again, not a drink.  You can install it with Homebrew, also by using Terminal, like this:

--- Code: ---brew install wine
--- End code ---

This will take a while to complete.  Homebrew is very good at showing detailed errors, so if you get one, follow the instructions.  It will usually involve copying and pasting a command to change some file permissions, or download a dependency.

The last command-line install step, Winetricks, will be much smoother, because installing Wine irons out all dependency issues.  You do that like this:

--- Code: ---brew install winetricks
--- End code ---

Then you set up Winetricks like this:

--- Code: ---winetricks d3dx9 vcrun2008 msls31 winhttp
--- End code ---

Finally, once you've got all of that set up, put Island Rum in your Applications folder, and launch it.

The first thing it will ask you is where your game folder is.  If you already downloaded the City of Heroes game application for Mac previously, you can point Island Rum to the FOLDER IT'S CONTAINED IN, not the application itself.  Otherwise, just point it to the folder where you want it to install.

There will be a lot of file downloading at this point, and it may stop at some point if it has trouble with the download mirrors.  If it does that, just close and re-start Island Rum, and downloading should resume.  If it doesn't resume, and you feel like it hasn't finished the download, use the Re-Scan option to make sure.

Once you have all the downloads completed, and Re-Scan confirms it, you should now be able to launch Icon and Paragon Chat using the Play button.

NOTE:  Island Rum will attempt to install Homebrew, Wine, and Winetricks on its own, but it may fail if any errors come up - and there is no "interactive mode".  So you're probably better off following this guide and making sure everything gets installed.

Ectokin:
I love you guys for doing this but I can't get Island Rum to install it keeps crashing?

Manga:

What part of it is crashing?

Ectokin:
The "error downloading file" messages start at stage1.pigg but the files look like they still download. The crash looks like it happens after stage3.pigg.
I copied the crash report to a .txt file if you would like me to attach it or send it to you, just let me know.

Ectokin:
The weird thing is I previously installed Titan Icon costume creator, I think it was version 1.71 or something like that and it still works so I shouldn't have to install Island Rum again, right?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version