Author Topic: How To Install Icon/Paragon Chat for Mac  (Read 35551 times)

Manga

• Elite Boss
How To Install Icon/Paragon Chat for Mac
« on: December 17, 2015, 01:47:16 AM »
The first thing you will need to install Icon or Paragon Chat for Mac is Island Rum.  Not the drink, but the installer.  That's located here:

Island Rum for Mac

You may also need something called XQuartz, which is distributed as a standard Mac installer disk image:

XQuartz

And finally, if you haven't installed it already, you will need to install Xcode for Mac, which is free in the Mac App Store.

Next thing you will need is called Homebrew.  That's not a drink either, it's an installer.  Which is here, complete with instructions to use with Terminal on the Mac:

Homebrew for Mac

Once those things are installed, then you will need Wine.  Once again, not a drink.  You can install it with Homebrew, also by using Terminal, like this:

Code: [Select]
brew install wine
This will take a while to complete.  Homebrew is very good at showing detailed errors, so if you get one, follow the instructions.  It will usually involve copying and pasting a command to change some file permissions, or download a dependency.

The last command-line install step, Winetricks, will be much smoother, because installing Wine irons out all dependency issues.  You do that like this:

brew install winetricks
Then you set up Winetricks like this:

winetricks d3dx9 vcrun2008 msls31 winhttp

Finally, once you've got all of that set up, put Island Rum in your Applications folder, and launch it.

The first thing it will ask you is where your game folder is.  If you already downloaded the City of Heroes game application for Mac previously, you can point Island Rum to the FOLDER IT'S CONTAINED IN, not the application itself.  Otherwise, just point it to the folder where you want it to install.

There will be a lot of file downloading at this point, and it may stop at some point if it has trouble with the download mirrors.  If it does that, just close and re-start Island Rum, and downloading should resume.  If it doesn't resume, and you feel like it hasn't finished the download, use the Re-Scan option to make sure.

Once you have all the downloads completed, and Re-Scan confirms it, you should now be able to launch Icon and Paragon Chat using the Play button.

NOTE:  Island Rum will attempt to install Homebrew, Wine, and Winetricks on its own, but it may fail if any errors come up - and there is no "interactive mode".  So you're probably better off following this guide and making sure everything gets installed.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 07:40:53 AM by Manga »

Ectokin

• Minion
  • Paragon City lives in me
Re: How To Install Icon/Paragon Chat for Mac
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 09:43:47 PM »
I love you guys for doing this but I can't get Island Rum to install it keeps crashing?

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 09:50:14 PM »

What part of it is crashing?

Ectokin

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 10:17:47 PM »
The "error downloading file" messages start at stage1.pigg but the files look like they still download. The crash looks like it happens after stage3.pigg.
I copied the crash report to a .txt file if you would like me to attach it or send it to you, just let me know.

Ectokin

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 03:09:53 PM »
The weird thing is I previously installed Titan Icon costume creator, I think it was version 1.71 or something like that and it still works so I shouldn't have to install Island Rum again, right?

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 02:03:53 PM »

You don't need to install a 2nd copy, it can handle multiple manifests.

Ectokin

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 02:40:34 PM »
Where should I pick up in the install process for Chat?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 02:59:19 AM »
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

mdyankeejr

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 07:56:42 PM »
Im sorry if i have done this before, but is there a one stop shop to get Paragon chat on my mac? I am not computer savvy and have no idea how to use the programs listed in this forum. Have you guys come up with just a download that will install this for me without having to install 3 to 4 3rd party pieces of software? I so want to join back in with this game and can't do it as i don't have the smarts to install it the way you have here.

Thanks

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 05:06:49 AM »
Im sorry if i have done this before, but is there a one stop shop to get Paragon chat on my mac? I am not computer savvy and have no idea how to use the programs listed in this forum. Have you guys come up with just a download that will install this for me without having to install 3 to 4 3rd party pieces of software? I so want to join back in with this game and can't do it as i don't have the smarts to install it the way you have here.

Thanks
Because City of Heroes & Paragon Chat were written for the PC, not the mac, no, there is no real way to just "plug and play".
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 02:21:47 PM »

I'm working on an "easy install" but so far it's not cooperating.  I'll post an update when I get it to work.

Pilgrim

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 04:04:19 PM »
Homebrew says to paste the script "at a terminal prompt." I have no idea what that means.

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 05:28:52 PM »
Homebrew says to paste the script "at a terminal prompt." I have no idea what that means.

Terminal is in Applications/Utilities.

Pilgrim

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 02:59:55 AM »
Terminal is in Applications/Utilities.

Now Island Rum just keeps scanning without even going into the previous "troubleunzipping." Is that where I'm supposed to paste the terminal prompt?

cmats4020

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 10:57:38 PM »
I realized that this never installed properly, so I tried it again, but I don't know what to do at this point.

Christians-MacBook-Pro:~ christianmatsumoto$ winetricks d3dx9 vcrun2008 msls31 winhttp
Executing w_do_call d3dx9
d3dx9 already installed, skipping
Executing w_do_call vcrun2008
vcrun2008 already installed, skipping
Executing w_do_call msls31
msls31 already installed, skipping
Executing w_do_call winhttp
Executing load_winhttp
------------------------------------------------------
Checksum for /Users/christianmatsumoto/.cache/winetricks/win2ksp4/W2KSP4_EN.EXE did not match, retrying download
Downloading http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE to /Users/christianmatsumoto/.cache/winetricks/win2ksp4
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  1245  100  1245    0     0    605      0  0:00:02  0:00:02 --:--:--   605
Checksum for /Users/christianmatsumoto/.cache/winetricks/win2ksp4/W2KSP4_EN.EXE did not match, retrying download
Downloading http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE to /Users/christianmatsumoto/.cache/winetricks/win2ksp4
100  1245  100  1245    0     0   4517      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  4527
sha1sum mismatch!  Rename /Users/christianmatsumoto/.cache/winetricks/win2ksp4/W2KSP4_EN.EXE and try again.
Christians-MacBook-Pro:~ christianmatsumoto$

Aevylmar

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 05:32:57 PM »
I had the same problem as Cmats4020, the same

"Checksum for /Users/Admin/.cache/winetricks/win2ksp4/W2KSP4_EN.EXE did not match, retrying download
Downloading http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE to /Users/Admin/.cache/winetricks/win2ksp4
100  1245  100  1245    0     0    981      0  0:00:01  0:00:01 --:--:--   981
sha1sum mismatch!  Rename /Users/Admin/.cache/winetricks/win2ksp4/W2KSP4_EN.EXE and try again.
"

Not sure what to do now.

Edit - I tried to run Island Rum anyway, on the off-chance that it would still work, and it crashed with the Wine.bin error report, "Couldn't write process memory: Message 0x%1 not found in file %2.

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 05:09:00 AM »
I got this error while setting up winetricks after typing the command: winetricks d3dx9 vcrun2008 msls31 winhttp

sha1sum mismatch!  Rename /Users/Name/.cache/winetricks/win2ksp4/W2KSP4_EN.EXE and try again.

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 01:49:56 PM »
I got this error while setting up winetricks after typing the command: winetricks d3dx9 vcrun2008 msls31 winhttp

sha1sum mismatch!  Rename /Users/Name/.cache/winetricks/win2ksp4/W2KSP4_EN.EXE and try again.

Try exactly what it says:  Type "mv /Users/Name/.cache/winetricks/win2ksp4/W2KSP4_EN.EXE /Users/Name/.cache/winetricks/win2ksp4/W2KSP4_EN.EXE.old"

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 03:25:19 PM »
"No such file or directory."

any idea?  ???
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 11:17:01 PM by HeatSpike1 »

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 01:09:47 AM »