Author Topic: The Force Awakens **SPOILERS ALLOWED**  (Read 24657 times)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: The Force Awakens **SPOILERS ALLOWED**
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2015, 06:26:57 AM »
Disney's The Force Awakens made me appreciate how good George's prequel trilogy was.

*Maybe* if 13 elves were taking turns hitting me in the groin with hammers while I was watching The Force Awakens.  And the soundtrack was replaced with rap music.  Maybe. 
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2015, 11:47:44 PM »
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2016, 05:11:29 AM »
Makes me wonder what $4B Lucasfilm/Marvel studio acquisition they have their sights set on next.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2016, 07:38:04 PM »
I saw the movie last night. I thought it was a good movie. That said, it only seemed to be Star Wars in name and content, but not in feel. Even SWTOR, The Clone Wars and Rebels feel more like the other Star Wars movies. This isn't really a gripe as much as it is an observation. It's missing something....and not just George Lucas.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2016, 09:08:20 PM »
It's missing something....and not just George Lucas.

That's all that it's missing.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2016, 11:09:12 PM »
I saw the movie last night. I thought it was a good movie. That said, it only seemed to be Star Wars in name and content, but not in feel. Even SWTOR, The Clone Wars and Rebels feel more like the other Star Wars movies. This isn't really a gripe as much as it is an observation. It's missing something....and not just George Lucas.
I think it missed a plot, good acting, a believable badguys, a main bad guy who is not an emo, and not another super weapon that needs to be destroyed.  In my opinion episode 7 was just a retread of A New Hope.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2016, 11:59:37 PM »
I saw this movie, while it was not bad it was no where near as good.
The only character I feel was the best character in the movie Phasma, was not shown as much as she should have. She was suppose to be in charge of the storm troopers yet never really showed her authority outside of telling Finn to put on his helmet and telling the storm troopers to whip out the village.
One of the biggest problems I have with this is Kylo acting like an emo, I was lead to believe he was overly in charge. Yet he played second fiddle to a general.

I think that the general and Ren were just second to Snoke, who sometimes put one in charge of the other (or, one's goals in more prominent position). I liked the General's acting - he was clearly more willing to stand up to Ren than Imperials were to Vader, but was also clearly nervous about Ren's ability to chop him in half.

Phasma was nowhere near as prominent as all the interviews with the actress made it seem like she would be.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2016, 01:38:53 AM »
I think that the general and Ren were just second to Snoke, who sometimes put one in charge of the other (or, one's goals in more prominent position). I liked the General's acting - he was clearly more willing to stand up to Ren than Imperials were to Vader, but was also clearly nervous about Ren's ability to chop him in half.

Phasma was nowhere near as prominent as all the interviews with the actress made it seem like she would be.
That is the thing Vader would not have a general run amok over his authority. I do agree the person who played the general did a decent job. I think a kitty in a wet paper bag could have stood up to Ren. Personally I did not see that, I saw him pretty much challenging Ren and winning.
I agree, with Phasma, she could have been sooo much better. That is why I said she was in my opinion the best character.   

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2016, 02:06:14 AM »
I have heard talk of "redemption" for Kylo Ren.  After sucker-lightsabering and killing his father, Han Solo, the only redemption I will accept for Kylo Ren will be moments before his death.

The only caveat to this is that Han is somehow not dead.  Very, very unlikely that it is.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2016, 03:11:29 AM »

Kylo Ren and the knights are not part of the military structure, so when Ren starts telling General Hux how to do his job, Hux has every right to tell Ren where to stick it.  Assuming Snoke would be unhappy with Ren interfering with Hux doing his job (because Hux is acting under Snoke's orders too, but with different priorities and goals), Ren would think twice about doing anything to anger Snoke.  Likewise, Hux doesn't try to give orders to Ren because Ren has his own orders from Snoke.  They're equals under Snoke.

Christie said she plays a much bigger role in Episode VIII.  There's more background info on the character given in the Illustrated Guide.  They wouldn't have fleshed out the character so well if they didn't plan on making her more prominent.

That is the thing Vader would not have a general run amok over his authority.

No, but he absolutely would from a Grand Moff.  Go back and watch Episode IV again.  Tarkin orders Vader around with no regard for how Vader feels about it.

And Ren is not a Sith Lord.  He's still training in the ways of the dark side.  Vader he is not, but he might get there with more training from Snoke.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2016, 05:21:21 AM »
I have heard talk of "redemption" for Kylo Ren.  After sucker-lightsabering and killing his father, Han Solo, the only redemption I will accept for Kylo Ren will be moments before his death.

The only caveat to this is that Han is somehow not dead.  Very, very unlikely that it is.

Random thoughts I had during the movie that might be related:

Kylo Ren is in the position he's in because Luke put him there on purpose.

He's using Vader's mask to help cloak his true nature.

He had an exchange with his father that we weren't privy to right before he killed him that expanded on just what kind of help he needed and why.

Of course, I also got this insidious little notion creeping around the back of my mind that Luke is actually Snoke...
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2016, 05:34:52 AM »
Kylo Ren is in the position he's in because Luke put him there on purpose.

He's using Vader's mask to help cloak his true nature.
After all, when he says he's going to finish what Anakin/Vader started, we don't know if he means before or after the moment he chose to throw Palpatine over the railing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2016, 05:39:41 AM »
Keep in mind that clones are an established part of this universe.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2016, 01:01:04 PM »
Christie said she plays a much bigger role in Episode VIII.

Ah, so that means she must have survived the trash compactor/destruction of Starkiller Base. Good to know.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2016, 06:19:03 PM »
Kylo Ren and the knights are not part of the military structure, so when Ren starts telling General Hux how to do his job, Hux has every right to tell Ren where to stick it.  Assuming Snoke would be unhappy with Ren interfering with Hux doing his job (because Hux is acting under Snoke's orders too, but with different priorities and goals), Ren would think twice about doing anything to anger Snoke.  Likewise, Hux doesn't try to give orders to Ren because Ren has his own orders from Snoke.  They're equals under Snoke.

Christie said she plays a much bigger role in Episode VIII.  There's more background info on the character given in the Illustrated Guide.  They wouldn't have fleshed out the character so well if they didn't plan on making her more prominent.

No, but he absolutely would from a Grand Moff.  Go back and watch Episode IV again.  Tarkin orders Vader around with no regard for how Vader feels about it.

And Ren is not a Sith Lord.  He's still training in the ways of the dark side.  Vader he is not, but he might get there with more training from Snoke.
That is true about Tarken, however, he is a Grand Moff who only reports to the emperor. In the same part of the movie a Admiral flipped his lid to Vader and he paid the price. A Moff is one thing when compared to the rank and file.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2016, 08:35:36 PM »
My primary point being that just being strong with the force does not inherently give authority in the chain of command.  Ren is nowhere near as powerful or high-ranking as Vader was when he choked that Admiral.

Also:  Vader was part of the military chain of command (Moffs, on the other hand are civilian), so Vader had the authority to "discipline" his subordinates.  Ren not being military, he has no authority to do something like that.

And Vader was on Tarkin's space station, so regarless of rank, Tarkin would have been able to pull that as his trump card as long as Vader's feet were planted on the death star.  Ren is on Hux's star destroyer, so Hux can override anyone on his ship that doesn't outrank him within the military command structure.

Who knows how that dynamic might change once Snoke completes Ren's training.

Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

an0nemus

• Underling
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2016, 06:30:46 AM »
This movie has horrible flaws.

Retread of the OT.
Messy set up (how long has luke been missing?  wtf is the resistance against?)

But, and this is important, I loved it.  It was fun, the actors were very likable.  Poe and Finn established a bromance in 5 minutes that Anakin and Obi-Wan couldn't establish in 7 hours.

You can dissect this movie a 100 ways, and one thing I don't think you can knock the movie for:  acting.  These actors nailed their parts, and brought an enthusiasm that was infectious.

Jedi
Empire
Force Awakens
Star Wars
Sith
Clones
Phantom Menace

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2016, 10:52:17 PM »
This movie has horrible flaws.

Retread of the OT.
Messy set up (how long has luke been missing?  wtf is the resistance against?)

But, and this is important, I loved it.  It was fun, the actors were very likable.  Poe and Finn established a bromance in 5 minutes that Anakin and Obi-Wan couldn't establish in 7 hours.

You can dissect this movie a 100 ways, and one thing I don't think you can knock the movie for:  acting.  These actors nailed their parts, and brought an enthusiasm that was infectious.

Jedi
Empire
Force Awakens
Star Wars
Sith
Clones
Phantom Menace

While I agree with most of your points (although it's easy to figure out what the "Resistance" is and their relationship to the First Order and New Republic if you're paying attention), because you listed Return of The Jedi as the best of all Star Wars movies, your opinion is absolutely wrong and all points you make in your post must be completely dis-regarded.

As we are all aware, the only acceptable favorite Star Wars movies are:  The first one (aka A New Hope) or Empire Strikes Back, or in an emergency, Revenge of the Sith (i.e. if the original three are removed from consideration and someone is holding a gun to your head.)

Sorry.  Maybe next time. But, thanks for playing.

;D ;D ;D ;D
Ha Ha Ha Ha!

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2016, 03:29:39 AM »
OK.  I just finished watching Episode 7, again, and I can say that from the clues dropped, I can now absolutely state without reservation how episode 8 will begin.

Remember, episode 7 ended with Rey standing on a mountaintop holding Luke's lightsaber out to him while he stood facing her and looking at her with resignation.

So, episode 8 starts, and the scene fades up to that exact same moment. 

Luke's eyes get wide with excitement and he yells out, "Hey, Jar Jar, looks like we've got company!"

Then, Jar Jar will emerge from a nearby cave, wearing his Private Expressions(tm) French Maid outfit, with the optional BDSM kit, naturally, and respond, "Who'sa is eet, massa Luke?"

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2016, 01:23:14 PM »
OK.  I just finished watching Episode 7, again, and I can say that from the clues dropped, I can now absolutely state without reservation how episode 8 will begin.

Remember, episode 7 ended with Rey standing on a mountaintop holding Luke's lightsaber out to him while he stood facing her and looking at her with resignation.

So, episode 8 starts, and the scene fades up to that exact same moment. 

Luke's eyes get wide with excitement and he yells out, "Hey, Jar Jar, looks like we've got company!"

Then, Jar Jar will emerge from a nearby cave, wearing his Private Expressions(tm) French Maid outfit, with the optional BDSM kit, naturally, and respond, "Who'sa is eet, massa Luke?"

Brilliant! Imagine the sales on the action figures!