Author Topic: Black Desert  (Read 15748 times)

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
Black Desert
« on: December 20, 2015, 04:29:04 PM »
I broke down and bought the Conqueror's package, the highest priced, justifying that I'd buy a piece of character creator software for the same price.  I was disappointed in the character creator, because you must use the prototype character for each class and I couldn't modify the way I wanted to (for instance the classes are gender linked), but I also need to learn the system.

Since COX was the only game I played, and though I played it ever day, I didn't play it very scientifically -- the stories were always the most interesting to me -- I find the WASD movement very difficult, as well as the movement of the mouse.  I really don't like seeing my character run across my screen at an angle.  So retraining the fingers, especially in combat, has been tough, and it will take me a while to get up to speed.  This is augmented by the fact that I chose the smallest toon and she sometimes gets lost in the bushes and I can't see her.  I think I'll make a big hulk, next.

Closed beta is on through tomorrow evening (UST/Mountain Time).

I'd love others' reactions.  Since, I think, I'm only at level 7 after a few hours of play, it would be nice to have input from someone who games more than I.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
Re: Black Desert
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 05:29:37 PM »
I had no idea it was out (or in some sort of available beta or whatever). My impression from the news is that the character creator is the most amazing thing ever, but if it's tied to class, that doesn't sound right. So you get a character for each class that you can modify in the most amazing ways, and not a full character creator?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 01:33:58 AM »
I had no idea it was out (or in some sort of available beta or whatever). My impression from the news is that the character creator is the most amazing thing ever, but if it's tied to class, that doesn't sound right. So you get a character for each class that you can modify in the most amazing ways, and not a full character creator?

Basically true. When you choose a class, that determines the gender/general theme/look of the character, and then you can modify it with the amazing character creator. For most of the classes, there is an opposite gender class with a similar style, but which varies in the details of powers and etc. For example, the Warrior is a male-gender sword/shield fighter, and the Valkyrie is a female gender sword/shield fighter, but they're different in the deeper details of their powers and resulting fighting style. You cannot make a female warrior or a male Valkyrie. I believe there's also under-lap of the appearance/features between classes in the same gender too. Some classes may look more western, others more eastern, and so forth.

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 08:45:27 PM »
I had no idea it was out (or in some sort of available beta or whatever).

Looks like you can pre-purchase a 2nd-tier or 3rd-tier option that grant you more stuffs, and each has access to one or both closed betas.

Not sure I care about the game enough to try it. Seems like its biggest appeal is the fantastic graphics, and that the game play is nothing unique.

Harlequin565

• Lieutenant
    • Shuttercount - A Photography site...
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 11:06:31 PM »
I applied for a beta key and got one. Glad I didn't cough up for the full priced game.

The character creator is what drew me in, and it does look very good. However, the "costume" is not changeable from what I've seen. You have control over your face/hair/body shape, but not over what your costume looks like. YouTube has some cool time lapse videos of people creating Bradd Pitt & Megan Fox.

Gameplay is not my cuppa, as I hate combo systems. I play to have fun, not to play complex simon says. And the forums... Wow... If you take what's said there about end-game, it's basically PvP, and the general discussions I read were... toxic.

Uninstalled, and grateful to not have dropped a penny on it.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 10:44:03 AM »
An acquaintance was talking this game up until they got a chance to play it. Now they're telling me I'll hate it. I've heard so many mixed things about it I figured I'd just wait and see. There are several interesting games in the works and I'm not going to throw money at all of them. I'm also kind of tired of getting into testing for a game and it not really being testing so much as a game trial and stress test.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 01:24:02 AM »
I applied for a beta key and got one. Glad I didn't cough up for the full priced game.

The character creator is what drew me in, and it does look very good. However, the "costume" is not changeable from what I've seen. You have control over your face/hair/body shape, but not over what your costume looks like. YouTube has some cool time lapse videos of people creating Bradd Pitt & Megan Fox.

Gameplay is not my cuppa, as I hate combo systems. I play to have fun, not to play complex simon says. And the forums... Wow... If you take what's said there about end-game, it's basically PvP, and the general discussions I read were... toxic.

Uninstalled, and grateful to not have dropped a penny on it.

It's too early to judge a game that hasn't even started it's final closed beta, yet alone launched... Personally I've been waiting on this game since I first heard about the korean version's closed beta many years ago. And since it doesn't look like negotiations for cox are even bearing fruit at this point, it's probably along ways off before an emulator or the negotiated server is even available for players to test.

Risha

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 06:04:02 PM »
If anyone makes a guild, let me know.

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 12:26:02 AM »
I was pondering picking this up since it's B2P..  I'd also be interested in joining a guild with former COH player.  At the very least it'd give me someone to chat with that's not in general chat :-)
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 07:22:00 AM »
For those that decide to try this very awesome game; have patience while you play it. It's a very advanced game with some button abilities in it and combo abilities just like dcuo has but don't let that overwhelm you. From a very interesting gathering system to capturing and taming wild horses, this game has alot to do outside of combat and an advanced combat system. I feel this might be one of those games where I'll constantly be learning for quite sometime and I encourage you to take your time, read and not rush.

Exxar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 11:09:14 AM »
I tried it briefly with a buddy trial key. Will definitively keep an eye on it, half a year or so until it stabilizes and until the first sales hit. Really seems like a game you need to explore, not just the world but also the systems themselves since it isn't simplified like usual western releases and there is no hand holding. My biggest problem though was not being aware when I killed the mobs, since my berserker towered above all the insects, foxes and goblins and was raising clouds of dust over them during combat :D

Surelle

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 01:25:51 AM »
The strength of this game lies not in its combat or classes really, although some of them are cool; it's really more of a world that you become an integral part of.  Its world systems are really deep, and unusual.  If you just logged in, leveled up a few times and left, you really missed the whole game, basically.

Risha

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 01:56:25 AM »
I must admit that if I can't use my mouse and my arrow keys in a game like I did in COH, I have major trouble.  I suppose I could find and learn a game controller.  But right now it seems that if I want to play with the character creator I have to delete one of my characters (and that takes 24 hours), so I guess I should just woman up and do that.  I would still like a thin, younger wizard.  And I'm rambling.  I am not going anywhere in the game because I can't move well, so I won't be a dedicated player. 

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 11:17:33 PM »
I decided to spend the $30 on Black Desert Online just to have something to do (despite that the end-game holds zero interest for me at this point).

ANY SUGGESTIONS (at all, since I know nothing whatsoever about the game)?

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 11:57:18 PM »
Anyone have a link to this where I can dl it?
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 12:18:49 AM »
You have to purchase at least the $30 option, then from the "account" page a link will show up a few minutes after the purchase.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 12:42:40 AM »
You have to purchase at least the $30 option, then from the "account" page a link will show up a few minutes after the purchase.
Thank you :), can you please link the link to the website?

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 01:09:51 AM »
Thank you :), can you please link the link to the website?
This is where I purchased mine, after registering and then clicking the "order now" banner: https://www.blackdesertonline.com/

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 01:56:17 AM »
This is where I purchased mine, after registering and then clicking the "order now" banner: https://www.blackdesertonline.com/
thank you for the link :) that has been very helpful.

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2016, 02:46:19 AM »
I must admit that if I can't use my mouse and my arrow keys in a game like I did in COH, I have major trouble.  I suppose I could find and learn a game controller.  But right now it seems that if I want to play with the character creator I have to delete one of my characters (and that takes 24 hours), so I guess I should just woman up and do that.  I would still like a thin, younger wizard.  And I'm rambling.  I am not going anywhere in the game because I can't move well, so I won't be a dedicated player.

I was having issues playing the Secret World and actually designed my own game controller. It has a Teensy-LC as the brain, and I found some good examples of how to set the thing up so it emulates a USB Keyboard. basically, I designed a flat pad to sit under my trackball, and act like some of the WASD keys were being held when pressing the plate forward, left, right or back (or any 2 on a diagonal), and also act like Q or E when you keep it twisted left or right (respectively). There is no continuous movement needed, just pressure in the direction or twist. It works really well under a trackball. It allows for all motion to be done with one hand, so the other hand can rest on the number keys for attacks. This thing worked absolutely perfectly for secret world, with its ridiculous amount of dancing around to avoiding moving targeting shadows on the ground. But then I quit that game, and the thing I built needs to be re-designed to be a bit more sturdy.

Out of sheer curiosity, can you describe exactly how you used the mouse to move? Were you using right-mouse-button for forward and movement left and right to turn?