Author Topic: Ideas for boosting flagging RP in Paragon Chat  (Read 10401 times)

AudreyWinter

• Minion
Ideas for boosting flagging RP in Paragon Chat
« on: January 14, 2016, 10:55:59 AM »
Folks, unless I'm missing something... things have been slowing down in Paragon City. The holiday season that started back at Thanksgiving seems to have had a lingering effect -- players have gone missing, others plead having little to no time, and RP, which was already scarce outside the Pocket D, has gotten hard to find even in the club.

Que sera, sera, and all that, I know, but after having just gotten my city back and experienced a few months of wonderful RP, I'm not ready to just shrug my shoulders and say, "Well, there's nothing I can do about it." I'm going to throw out some ideas in no particular order. Maybe a spark will catch.

New Faces, New Threats

Paragon City isn't static. Heroes and villains rise and fall. Little clusters of players, and many of us individually, have their own individual modifications and additions to the game's canon as part of their stories, but what about the Paragon Chat userbase as a group inventing new things? What if there were a schism within Arachnos, from which rose a new villain group with a different theme? What if representatives of a new alien species became stranded, offering a different look at the universe? Yes, I know it would be difficult to coordinate a major effort, but truly, does everyone interact with the existing groups and characters in exactly the same way anyway?

More Events

We could all do with more opportunities to get together and meet new folks. They don't have to be story events, though those are certainly fun. The Saturday parties were a great attempt and could certainly use support. I'd like to occasionally put on "concerts" with my club-owner character (using YouTube links to represent the music) the way I used to do in her club base. Costume contests are always an option too; I'm not sure how many of those are still going on.

Super Group Registry

If we set up a thread where people could describe their groups and list their members and headquarters, it might make for easier interaction. For example, if I see a steampunk SG listed with players/characters I don't know, I could make an effort to meet them. We don't have SGs in the game mechanics at the moment, but so what? We can work around that.

Map Exploration Thread

Now that we have access to all the maps in the game, it could be useful to have a list of maps and locations sorted or tagged by possible uses. For instance, now that Perez Park isn't crawling with enemies, the amphitheater makes a great place for RP concerts. The forests of Croatoa make an excellent location to represent my Autumn Court fae's home. The various districts of Praetoria can be used to represent different cities. Not everybody has explored all the maps (I know I sure haven't), so sharing knowledge of cool spots could really boost RP outside the D.

Please, feel free to discuss and add your own ideas.

Shadeknight

• Lieutenant
Re: Ideas for boosting flagging RP in Paragon Chat
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 04:30:30 PM »
I like all of these ideas, and it sparks some in my mind.

Though I love Pocket D RP, I'm hoping to see more out of it. I don't play PChat enough to be a spearhead for it.

Hmn.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 06:04:42 PM »
Aye, I've noticed a distinct drop in RPers since Thanksgiving too... I was hoping it'd recover after Christmas, but so far... A little, but not much...

Part of the problem is, I think, timezones. I'm in the UK, so a lot of the US players still RPing are just starting to come online when I'm going to bed...

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 06:20:37 PM »
I'm always looking for RP, and have a variety of characters from both Paragon and the Isles.  I too was totally claimed elsewhere by the holidays, but am free now.  However, lately when I do log in, either during the day or in the evenings, so many zones, even AP, seem empty. 

Story-driven RP is good, putting out the call for heroes to help with a situation (or villains to wreck one, *grin*).  Perhaps if RP get-togethers were scheduled and announced ahead of time, folks could plan on logging in at the same time and getting together? 

Mistress Bloodwrath

• Boss
  • Femme Fatale
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 01:48:16 AM »
My present situation makes logging in impossible at the moment, that's why I haven't been around. I'd be in PC otherwise.

Acanous

• Beef Ingot
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 05:42:01 AM »
I brought Asmodeus and Kethryveris back. Should be able to get Ryeanna and Jendragon too.

Asmo has an idea for actually doing like pen and paper RPG stuff in Portal Corp on Saturdays. Use the ingame roller, make sheets for a system, etc. Thoughts?

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 05:37:19 PM »
I brought Asmodeus and Kethryveris back. Should be able to get Ryeanna and Jendragon too.

Asmo has an idea for actually doing like pen and paper RPG stuff in Portal Corp on Saturdays. Use the ingame roller, make sheets for a system, etc. Thoughts?

Using the CoH zones as game maps?  Using text-RP or a voice-client?

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 05:42:57 PM »
Using the CoH zones as game maps?  Using text-RP or a voice-client?

I can see a voice client really working well for guys who RP girls... :P

Kassandros

• Dead Already and Dead Again
  • Minion
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 11:57:14 PM »
I've voice-rped dozens of characters both male and female. What would be the problem? Any GM does this all the time and tons of players too. Pretty common to RP non-human characters as well.

Jeff Anderson

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 04:16:18 AM »
Personally I find it hard to RP without some some game mechanics to back it up. I cant  wait for some of the scripting to be available so I can take some of the RP based extensions I have building for Icon and port it to Paragon Chat. Once that happens Ill be on Paragon all the time.

Mistress Bloodwrath

• Boss
  • Femme Fatale
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 07:18:22 AM »
I can see a voice client really working well for guys who RP girls... :P

Try walking around in public all dolled up and your voice betraying your testosterone poisoning the instant you open your mouth. Such a lightweight protest compared to actual embarrassments. And as highlighted, this happens all the time in tabletop.

AudreyWinter

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 11:34:51 PM »
Folks, this is not the place for an argument. Please take the tangent elsewhere.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 07:45:49 PM »
Folks, this is not the place for an argument. Please take the tangent elsewhere.

I don't see anyone arguing...

Vr2Lrose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 09:56:44 PM »
The downside for events is  unless they are in Pocket D/Atlas a lot of  drop by RPers will miss them.   If you  are trying to use  this to increase RP visibility you do need the  drop by RPers to  see them. I suggested maybe adding a room count to zoning lists (And Room-lists in IM)

another option to make RP more visible Maybe have a pop up window or Calendar option on log in that displays GM/Scheduled events I believe city did have something like that when the  game was  live.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 12:50:34 AM »
The downside for events is  unless they are in Pocket D/Atlas a lot of  drop by RPers will miss them.   If you  are trying to use  this to increase RP visibility you do need the  drop by RPers to  see them. I suggested maybe adding a room count to zoning lists (And Room-lists in IM)

another option to make RP more visible Maybe have a pop up window or Calendar option on log in that displays GM/Scheduled events I believe city did have something like that when the  game was  live.
Or perhaps periodically paste in an RP-event announcement in the Broadcast and Paragon Chat channels, the way people used to do to promote their SG's.    Just a thought.

NoreLineas

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 01:28:51 AM »
So.  Just found out about the forum.  Which is great.  I've been playing since, what, August?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the drop in players, and the point that all people seem to do is chill in Pocket.  I'd had a few small on-going plots, one of which nosedived as, yes, hardly anyone leaves Pocket and there is no platform to say 'Hey there's a paused plot in this area!'.

A few of us have been cahooting so I hope more people will participate or get in on it.  They're not closed plots by any means so please, if you overhear it in Pocket or wherever, please feel free to join in!

Mistress Bloodwrath

• Boss
  • Femme Fatale
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 05:42:59 AM »
Wow, okay... Things have definitely slowed down since I had to leave for IRL reasons. I've signed back in (since I have my computer back and a new, stable, safe home) and found the D practically a ghost town and not very many of my old friends present. What the heck happened?

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 07:02:13 AM »
Wow, okay... Things have definitely slowed down since I had to leave for IRL reasons. I've signed back in (since I have my computer back and a new, stable, safe home) and found the D practically a ghost town and not very many of my old friends present. What the heck happened?

People moved on, sadly.  Even I'm in there a lot less, mainly because I don't really like talking to myself...

Challenger

• Underling
How the D can be useful
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 03:48:02 PM »
I think I see an opportunity, and its nothing against the RP'rs that go to the D regularly to get in their RP fix.   Cause their are a few (blue side), what seem to be like regulars, there have made it an easy to jump into casual RP.  I think that perhaps getting the word out both IC and OCC there.  Those going to 'pitch' the idea in the D would just shoot the breeze with those at those there in the Club to peak their interest.  The way I figure it is that if it is an RP event that is worthwhile and wanted enough then the effort put toward the pitch is worth it.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 07:15:02 PM »
I'd be glad to log in and join in to some RP, but other than people chatting in the D, I've not found many others around.  Perhaps finding a common days/times that are good for interested parties and then posting it might help?  (Also, the preferred zones, maybe?)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 08:24:01 PM »
I'd be on more but lately I am also noticing a drop in population, those who I typically RP with aren't on as often as usual, which results in me going back to fallout 4 or something.  We do need some new activity though, and I feel a new update would also help things but Codewalker can only work on that so much.

But thing is, I often log in, see there isn't anyone on, then log out and go to do something else.  I'd rather be building something or experimenting with a new character in fallout 4 than, well, hanging out with no one.  I usually take a look at around 8 central or so, if I do so.

I do wish to get my RP plot going somewhere along the line.  I will say though, pocket D wouldn't remotely reflect the kinds of environments the characters are likely to find themselves in.  It's also though that people just got done with some more complex plots recently.  This kind of leaves me with kind of a time to take a break in a sense.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 09:48:29 PM »
I'm not really a part of the RP group, but concerning the supergroup deal, could the Ouroboros Portal be utilized for this? 

If the place is meant to memorialize the game, perhaps an area for Paragon Chat pages apart from the City of Heroes live content could be made (not as severe as a whole other namespace, but make it clear that these characters and SGs are "after the event"), or just stick all of the Paragon Chat articles in a category and mix it in with the portal?

I thought about the Virtueverse, but that website is having problems at the moment.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2016, 05:28:21 PM »
It's my understanding that Ouroborous Portal is meant to be a wiki for player-made characters / events / groups, because Paragon Wiki is meant to be official content only. So basically Virtueverse, except for all servers. Because of its nature as a wiki, I'm not sure how well it could be utilized as a way to get more activity on Paragon Chat. Yes, it could have some pages for groups or events or storylines, and they could have arrangements and discussion in their talk pages, but I would imagine a dedicated forum (such as this one) would be much better suited to that sort of thing.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2016, 07:50:37 PM »
Fair enough.

I was talking to people in Activities about the Anniversary of City of Heroes this year.  Perhaps, a membership drive for RP in Pocket D is doable on that day?  (There's twice a year people are guaranteed to stumble into Paragon Chat: April 27th and November 30th. May as well take advantage of it, right?)
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran