Author Topic: Today's loot tip  (Read 3220 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Today's loot tip
« on: January 15, 2016, 02:48:46 PM »
We all play the game for fun. Some people do costumes, some have great backstories, I, loot. And build toons for looting. And occasionally get inspired enough on a costume idea to raise it to the level of slightly above average.

Today's loot tip is brought to you by the changing of Rampages to Lemurian Invasion. I've never really liked this content as a Rampage (it used to be something else) and still don't, really. But, I do like Justice gear so I'll pass along some tips to get you to the loot portion of this content with hopefully less frustration.

The main thing about this fight is the end boss. "In the end, the Harbinger was never really alive. He was just a big fat bag of hitpoints who can one-shot you." I think is how the Rampage ending narration goes. Or something like this.

Anyway, lots of words for 2 tips...

You need to either...
1.) Watch the Harbinger for when he stops glowing red and then stop attacking and BLOOOOOOCK your block button finger off.
2.) Watch for your yellow scrolling damage numbers to *poof* when he goes invul. It is right after he goes invul that he will one-shot you if you are any kind of squishy. So you wanna block or bravely run away before this happens.

Sometimes the Harbinger will have soo many effects on him, I can't even tell when he stops glowing red.. At this point I switch to 2.) from above which generally doesn't work due to I can never find a good spot to consistently watch my damage numbers scroll up. At this point I go for...

Bonus tip.
Time his invuls. I think I can fire off 3 Ball Lightnings, for example, before he goes invul. After the third one I pop an Unbreakable (or similar life-preserving button) if I still can't see what is going on. if my Unbreakable fades before his big attack then I start blocking and taking potshots for those last seconds before he goes invul and into one-shot mode which is about the least desirable thing to do due to my dps sucks at this point and he has tons of hps.

Usually tip 1.) works and is the most reliable and easiest to follow. Thing about the Harbinger is, you not only don't want to get one-shotted, you don't want to waste precious dps by losing stars or blocking/running too early. Otherwise you get into one of those marathon LI situations...

As for the Exocets... If you finally get fed up with being unable to target them you can make a keybind to target them. I haven't gotten to this point yet but I probably should use something similar to... /bind <key> target Exocet now that I took the time to look it up..

I hope this helps you get to your loot screen faster and makes the experience more enjoyable.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

rebel 1812

• Boss
Re: Today's loot tip
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 06:28:06 PM »
I remember when lemurian invasion first came out and you could farm a tank loot drop.  It was suppose to be 1-10 drop rate.  I must have run that 30-40 times and no tank. 

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 07:13:27 PM »
When this and SC first became Rampages I remember thinking, Dang, I shoulda ran these before.

It's too long as a Rampage, to me, and, it's content that seems like it would be better if you're in the mood for team content for the sake of team content. In Rampages, like Alurts, everyone is rushing to the end. I mean, LI takes, what, at leeeeast double the time of a Gravi most times and for... the same reward.

*shrug*

Hey, the new Teleios thing coming is a must try.

More Nerfs coming... Skarn's (dangit I JUST retconned my Skarn's guy...) and Ascension taking the worst hits that I saw. Fiery Form will very sensibly apply Clinging Flames to all attackers, soon, I hope. That cdr nerf really changed Fire in a not positive way for me so I'm happy for any luv it gets. That new Chilled Form helped me out too due to finally having something good that's Ranged and scales with Dex.

Ice Nades getting nerfed  : /  ....

What else...

Oh yeah, Auras like Aura of Primal Majesty are getting their range extended to 100' which is a very good start. Why not make them 150' like XP boosters and also why not let them affect Both teams in Rampages - I mean, after all, why are we even separated into two different teams except that it's a limitation of the game engine and if that is so then why punish us for that limitation...  : p Anyway, yeah, 100' is way better than 50' tyvm.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 05:37:05 PM »
Aura of primal majesty being buffed and a lot of nerfs to other otherwise cool things.  Mmmhmm, sounds like scrub pandering again.  Buff already still popular cookie cutter things while nerfing things the cookie cutter users cant beat/ cant tolerate even though they are very rarely ever used in pvp.

Read more:  Really?  Strafing run looks like it'll be useless from here on.  Yupe, a lot of scrub pandering in those changes.  Mini gun doing smashing?  Lazy way to fix the whole "use it with other powers" bug.  The whole thing just reeks of pandering to scrub pvpers rather than sensible changes to make other powers popular in pve, and making changes for powers more conditional for when they do prove to be a problem in other gameplay types.  They are appeasing scrubs.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 06:13:40 PM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

rebel 1812

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 05:09:20 AM »
There really isn't PVP.  The queues for arena last for days.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 03:36:10 PM »
Some Drifter store Legacy devices are already priced for richer players than me. That is one thing that has always kinda turned me off on many of CO's worthwhile rewards and it turns me off as a subscriber lure - being spoon fed in-game toys and gear in trade for cash. Not only that there is no place for the veteran player to go to earn the things I'm referring to, or their equivalent, by actually playing the game vs. getting the reward from a vending machine. *puke*

This kinda thing seems pretty acceptable today in online games tho and I get it, so, whatever. Roll with the changes.

----

And yeah, there are some other hard nerfs in there, LA. I forgot about that mini-gun one. They always do this... Just when I start using a power in a new build they change it.. and ***I*** have to pay the retcon bill. I'll probly keep mini-gun (which should get it's high energy cost lowered along with it's effectiveness TYVM) but I'll probly be dropping Skarn's and dangit I just retconned that guy all the way back to his second power like a week ago...

I just had some hard nerfs on Deeps when they removed CDR from the game but I was able to bounce back even better than before with Flashfire being fixed and the introduction of Chilled Form (and a DUC... *ahem*...) and they still haven't fixed recharge times or put clinging flames (tyvm) in his aura so he should just get better.

Players have always said how there are a lot of things broken in CO and how it's too easy of a game and all this good stuff. Well, they're 'fixing' stuff.... If the game stays fun I'll keep playing and so far I've been extremely unhappy about some changes made but have been able to overcome them to this point so that I can still have my fun.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 04:10:40 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 02:10:31 AM »
Some Drifter store Legacy devices are already priced for richer players than me. That is one thing that has always kinda turned me off on many of CO's worthwhile rewards and it turns me off as a subscriber lure - being spoon fed in-game toys and gear in trade for cash. Not only that there is no place for the veteran player to go to earn the things I'm referring to, or their equivalent, by actually playing the game vs. getting the reward from a vending machine. *puke*

This kinda thing seems pretty acceptable today in online games tho and I get it, so, whatever. Roll with the changes.

----

And yeah, there are some other hard nerfs in there, LA. I forgot about that mini-gun one. They always do this... Just when I start using a power in a new build they change it.. and ***I*** have to pay the retcon bill. I'll probly keep mini-gun (which should get it's high energy cost lowered along with it's effectiveness TYVM) but I'll probly be dropping Skarn's and dangit I just retconned that guy all the way back to his second power like a week ago...

I just had some hard nerfs on Deeps when they removed CDR from the game but I was able to bounce back even better than before with Flashfire being fixed and the introduction of Chilled Form (and a DUC... *ahem*...) and they still haven't fixed recharge times or put clinging flames (tyvm) in his aura so he should just get better.

Players have always said how there are a lot of things broken in CO and how it's too easy of a game and all this good stuff. Well, they're 'fixing' stuff.... If the game stays fun I'll keep playing and so far I've been extremely unhappy about some changes made but have been able to overcome them to this point so that I can still have my fun.

Eh, if I have to get overly creative in a game who's developers punish you for being creative, I'll just move on to games where creativity is rewarded.

It's why I was playin fallout new vegas and skyrim for hours on end and why I moved to fallout 4.  Because you aren't punished for finding some cool trick or even a "good bad bug" that lets you do something crazy and fun.  Like for example, wiring a settlement while perfectly sealing the power generators in a box so no stray bullets can hit them or splash from explosives damaging them.  I feel rewarded for discovering things like that and am not left unafraid or terrified of using anything because I know that except for scrubs making unofficial patches, those little tricks expand my freedoms in those games.  Freedoms are taken away in games like CO.

I know, they are single player, but thing is, they are FUN to play and I can still communicate with people who play them, share screenshots, or even live feeds once in a while.  Thats the power of the internet for ya.

Yes, I'm aware no one queues the arenas in CO.  It's just nothing but wide open pvp duels in the Renaissance Center between people using the same identical builds who complain of specific powers they don't like and get them nerfed.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 03:31:21 PM »
As an electronic game historian... This thing with *players* crying for nerfs is new to me and it goes on nonstop in CO.

Hardly a day goes by in CO without someone complaining in some channel that some power should be nerfed. Often they've admittedly never even actually seriously played with the power in question ("but it's just like this power in my build except it's way better!") and so they don't even know what they are talking about.

And then there is Ren Cen PvP. Like LA says, this factors in with it's own set of complaints but that's about the extent of my knowledge & interest.

From a PvE builders perspective... It takes some people a long time to put a build together that they're happy with and I am one of them. All my powers are picked to work together. I don't pick them because they are pretty or OP I pick them mostly for the overall build and what I'm trying to do with that build's theme. When a power changes drastically in one of my builds, often, so does my build.

I.E. nerfs are a big pain in the funfactor. And on top of that they cost time. Time wasted farming for retcons on builds I was already happy with and that maybe will never play the same again. Or maybe they will. Who knows.

Oh hey, I did fix my build. Oh, what, here comes a new round of nerfs..?

Who's to blame? Everyone with a voice. It's what the game wants.....

Until new nerfs are announced and then all the chat channels start lighting up with bad news. And players, understandably, do leave. And then there is a new round of players talking about powers/toys/gear they have no idea about, or maybe they even do, who cares at this point, and saying Nerf! Nerf!

Un....real. To this electronic game historian. I am used to asking for more power and complaining when I have less and taking advantage of everything I can in-between and letting the Game Designers decide when I am ripping up their game too badly or not and then battling against Them and Their decisions to find 'Balance', not, The Players. Something like this...:

It's why I was playin fallout new vegas and skyrim for hours on end and why I moved to fallout 4.  Because you aren't punished for finding some cool trick or even a "good bad bug" that lets you do something crazy and fun.

(Nothing wrong with single players games btw, ofc. Important thing is that it's.. gaming. Immersion and challenge/fun. A diversion. Right?)

I mean player feedback is great and needed and the idea of game balance is important but it's like, especially since Kaiserin, Players are looking for a JOB. By spreading their gamely wisdom about what needs to change and what's out of balance and how the game should really be and on and on until changes actually do come down and the rest of us who were just Playing are like 'here we go again'.

PvP is a whole other thing with it's own set of problems. Just a suggestion, PvP guys.. If you run into a power or device you don't like, how about you ban it from competition. Or think of SOMETHING besides constantly trying to nerf the game into a balance that will never exist.. I know you can do it if you put your minds to it.

Wheee ranting's fun. Ya only got it due to the long server downtime and I had some game energy to burn hehe....

Some Faves:

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 06:16:26 PM »
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,11624.0.html

I decided that posting here was kind of silly in the first place.  So I made a separate thread.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 07:31:18 PM by LaughingAlex »