Author Topic: Blade & Soul? BOooo  (Read 11621 times)

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
Blade & Soul? BOooo
« on: January 18, 2016, 06:09:22 PM »

:o  :P
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Re: Blade & Soul? BOooo
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 10:05:22 PM »

:o  :P

Though I/m not a fan of NcSoft - I may give it a look when the free part is online. I wont give them money.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 10:11:36 PM »
Yea, NCSOFT is pushing hard right now.  Loads of Twitch streamers who are known for playing other MMOs got paid to promote B&S for the next two to three weeks.  Giving them head start codes and founder packs to hand out.

So it only took them about three years to finally localize it for NA/EU after spending their resources trying to get it out in China, spend money on an Anime before the game dropped in Japan and Taiwan.   I think they even did Russia before us.

It's much more fighting style MMO with blocks and combo moves.  It's very Hong Kong Theater Wushu story telling.  But the character creation is kind of creepy at times.  But it's pretty and you can wind and water walk.

Yes it's free to play starting Midnight EST I believe.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 10:21:19 PM »
I have been looking at this game, has any body played it yet? If so is it pvp only or is there pve too, also how is the cc?
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 10:41:13 PM »
No, it's flagged PvP in open world and think there are PvP arenas.  The Twitch streamers I watch have been playing the early access since Friday.  So if you want an idea, watch a Twitch stream or Massively OverPowered.

http://massivelyop.com/2016/01/15/the-stream-team-blade-souls-headstart/

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Blade%20and%20Soul

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 06:47:34 AM »
I may try it out - it's available now - but like above, not paying a dime to NCsoft. Hehe. NCsoft triggered the spellcheck..  ;D
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 10:52:44 PM »
I may try it out - it's available now - but like above, not paying a dime to NCsoft. Hehe. NCsoft triggered the spellcheck..  ;D

Tried it out, noticed three things.

1) Had a great story intro. Really felt immersive.

2) Lots of wibbly wobbly squishy soft n bouncy physics. Sheesh.  :roll:

3) Classic NCSoft Queue. 'You are 2500 of 2701 non-premium users waiting. 0 premium users waiting. Calculating login time remaining..'  I'll note that right to the left side of the screen they plug a subscription promo where you get to move to the front of the line. I'll also note that line doesn't move very fast. :P

PartyKake

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 01:10:24 AM »
There is one fantastic feature of the game - when you lose a fight, you start crawling around on the ground. This gives you the ability to position your corpse so that you can arrange lots of bodies to spell out things on the ground. Perhaps something like: "Well, it's not City of Heroes..." or "#SaveCoH".

wink wink.

Anyone want to join in the fun and do a little in game protesting on Friday afternoon?
It would be the game's first weekend and a great time to have fun and spread the news that we're still going!

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 02:20:00 AM »
51 min until I can play

Mistress Bloodwrath

• Boss
  • Femme Fatale
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 03:45:04 AM »
Boobs & Sluts? Meh.

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 04:07:50 AM »
It's a comedy-tier launch debacle. Multi-hour queues on all servers, not so much because the number of players is really all that enormous...but because there's no AFK timer (no, seriously...no AFK timer), and because it's an Asian grinder, there are probably as many bots as players.

Comedy gold.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 04:14:34 AM »
A couple of differences between F2P and "it's not a subscription" model and City of Heroes.  First queues to get on the servers so two lines, nearly instant and pull out the kindle to read a chapter or two.  And their vet tier system is tied to how many NCCoins you spend.  Haven't seen a chart at to what leveling your credit card gets you as perks.  Doesn't appear to be any true pay to win in their store, just cosmetics and short cuts, not powerful weapons or armor.

Coin drop rate leaves a lot to be desired.  I'm nearly level 13 and I've earned all of maybe 3 silver (300 copper).   And the NPC vendors charge absurd prices most loot comes from quest completion with rare drops from critters.  Open world it's a tag first system so mad rush in the farming area to tag your "rats" first.  It does have a nice smooth-ish transition between adjacent zones and instance content.  Graphics suffer all the same quirks as any game I've played that use the Unreal Engine 3.

The travel powers are very Crouching Tiger, combat is very complex with keys changing skills on the fly.  UI is kind of busy if you are in a party.

I'm playing a Force Master, basically fire/ice MU that does have a Jedi Force grab and toss.  So grab critter, walk to edge of cliff and toss them off.

The world isn't as open as other MMOs.  You have smallish maps (relative to GW2) with winding paths with impassible terrain on either side between them.

Not tired of the music yet.  And the story is very classic wuxia which means you're seeking revenge.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 04:21:28 AM »
It's a comedy-tier launch debacle. Multi-hour queues on all servers, not so much because the number of players is really all that enormous...but because there's no AFK timer (no, seriously...no AFK timer), and because it's an Asian grinder, there are probably as many bots as players.

Comedy gold.

Logging in again to see.

0 Premium Players waiting in queue
2977 F2P waiting in queue

Estimated time, 30 minutes.

The game seems to spawn off a number of copies of each area, the area I was in when I logged off had 39 instances.

Hey, it's launch day of a F2P, what did you expect.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 11:34:39 PM »
it really didn't take long for the spam bots to appear. the first hour it was released for the USA, there were scam websites being spammed all over the place.

There are no moderators, no GM's. 

there are however, surveys you can turn in every few levels, in exchange for dinky little rewards.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 10:20:54 PM »
My curiosity about the game did lead to my finding out that NCSoft had deleted my account.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 05:38:06 AM »
That's old news if then had you active e-mail account and CoH was your only game.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 07:18:02 PM »

Downloaded and tried it for like 20 mins.

Not bad. A bit like Master Swordsman.

Controls for me are a bit clumsy as I like to use the arrows to move like in COH and have to keep reaching over to press the numbers to activate powers, jump, etc. Wish they had a click icon interface like COH. Or let you map more mouse buttons.

You can use a gamepad so I may try that later. A few combat MMO's I tried work better with a gamepad.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 07:28:35 PM »
I tried to play it, I either was in a queue that was latterly 6 or more long, or it crashed right before I was able to play. I have since uninstalled, I needed the 25 gigs back.

Karu8

• Underling
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 05:37:38 AM »
My experience so far has been mixed. I'll start with the TL;DR and say that if you decide to skip this game, you're not missing much. Might want to wait a month or three to get rid of the absurd login queues and see if NC$oft adjusts the game to be less horrible for the western market.

They've done a decent job with the Wushu atmosphere, plot isn't bad by MMO standards. One clever thing I haven't seen before is NPC thought bubbles during conversations, which could add a lot if the whole thing wasn't 100% on rails. There are no options, no decisions to make, not even an illusion of choice. All you get is "Yes, I'll do it! Me, me! Let me!" eager puppy responses.

Character creation is okay even for a modern game. Bunch of body and face sliders, quite a few hairstyles (some of which aren't horrible) but no choosing idle animation, run style, fighting style or anything like that. Outfits are each more hideous than the last, with asymmetric garbage and weird ornaments. Suffice it to say that Korean aesthetic seems to be vastly different from my own. Zero customization with clothes: what you get is what you get, from neck to toes. Clothes have no stats, however, so that's a definite plus.

Combat is supposed to be actiony, yet characters move around very slowly. Sometimes it's possible to dodge enemy special attacks, sometimes they just spin around and autohit no matter what. Not very difficult, kind of slow. This probably changes later on, but movement speed has received criticism from higher level players as well. Health recovery is painfully slow even out of combat, so it's best to burn the enemy fast and do inventory management between harder fights to keep a tolerable pace going.

Quality of life considerations are mostly absent. If something is helpful, it has an excessive ingame currency cost. Do a quest and want to teleport back to a settlement? Sure, you can - but it'll cost half of what the quest pays out. Forget about buying potions and healing supplies from NPC vendors. Weapon upgrades are done by sacrificing drops to "evolve" the weapon, at least until the process hits RNG wall with a loot wheel dealie handing out necessary components... or not. RNG. There are two of said loot wheels and only one player can use one at a time, which adds another pointless annoyance with waiting and indirect PvP. Weapons wear out and need to be repaired at campfires, using consumable repair tools.

Apparently mail and wardrobe need to be bought from the cash shop. Outfits are unlocked per character, not per account, and cost in the $10-15 range from the look of it. Whether it's store-bought or rare drop, each character needs a new one. Very greedy and alt-unfriendly. Also only two character slots without buying more, deleting one takes a week and the name is locked out for a year.

Channels are full of goldspammers, non-premium players have massive wait times in login queue, typical launch mayhem takes place and it's back to queue again.

Oh, and Take Dik Bling or whatever decided to have his name plastered on the screen in the opening cutscene and in another spot later as executive producer. In a MMO. The guy has ego issues. You know, the CEO.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 05:52:55 AM »
If my name was Take Dik Bling I'd plaster it everywhere too.