Author Topic: Star Trek Online  (Read 273695 times)

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
Re: Star Trek Online
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2016, 06:52:55 PM »
OK I'm ready. Lets talk loot.

hehe

I'm starting to get an idea of how gear works but ..

What currency do I want to go for as far as buying gear goes? Should I even bother buying gear before level (X)? I seem to get a lot of drops from PVE queue's.. I'll probably want to get the errrr whichever currency cap increase (Energy Credits?) at some point.. Is there anything like a hideout?

What are some things/goodies I should save/look for? Any QoL tips?

STO seems fairly huge to me still at this point but I'm getting a few things down.

I still suck at Space battle but I'm getting better. OH YEAH... Is there any kind of autofollow I can do with my ship? Sometimes I just wanna get my bearings, ya know? One trick I do now when I can't tell my front from my back or if I'm going up or down.... (lol..) is to hit the 'center camera' hotkey and then things make sense to me again as far as where I am and am headed.

Oh and how do retcons work? is it all or nothing or can I do partials, too? Is there more than one way to pay for them?

~~~

Hey I have something else, too. I think it was last night I couldn't log in - CO was down too. This morning I joined the queue while running a mish and when the queue popped I declined due to I was about to finish a long space fight. Afterwards I went to join the queue again and it said something like "Not from this map you aren't!' Soooo I flew back to Sol just due to I knew that I *could* join the queue from that map.

Anyway, I get to Sol, and I still can't join the queue, so, I log out and when I try to log back in STO and CO are down. I mean, I couldn't even run the patcher so that the launcher would load due to it would timeout.

Is this what happens when NWNboy strikes or was it just a coincidence the login server went down after I logged out?
if it the same person using the ddos attacks then yes, the reason is all the servers are connected.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2016, 03:52:55 AM »
Thanks guys. Good infos and thanks for the details Exxar.

I don't like asking about ftp.. If the entire FTP system went away tomorrow I'd still feel like I got way more than I deserved out of it. I hate to have to use it but I'm extremely glad it exists.

Angel, the main thing I was wondering was if his attacks were screwing up the PVE queues. That must have been it, though.

No tips for me? Why is my duty roster icon always flashing even when I have no slots available for research? It's keeps beeping and flashing and beeping... and flashing! errr just flashing. I need some rare materials too for R&d. Auction house, I'm guessing...

Still having fun. Playtime kinda evaporated but more coming up.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2016, 04:46:02 AM »

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2016, 05:31:03 AM »
I hear ya on the 'just have fun'. Just digging for anything that you thought might stick out as something handy to have/do. For example I saw a device that summons a bank or something like this that every one can use when it's summoned. I dunno how handy that is but I never would have thought to look for something like that. Well, and I stumbled on this part of the game to research different things like Shields, Engines, Weapons. It takes like 1 click and 20 hours to go up a level and I can make stuff too. I guess that's the tradeskilling?

The flashing thing is Duty Officer Missions....? Duty Officer missions.. Have to look again in the morning. I thought it was telling me to do some R&D and I'm like 'but I have no open slots' and I couldn't find anything else there to do.

Soooo blue/purple bridge officers. Ok. My favorite bridge officer 'powers' so far are the ones that suck shields dry. The ones that boost my own shields back up have saved me a few times.

---

Oh yeah and let me bug you about the ship autofollow thing again. Is there a way to autofollow another ship in combat? I know I can autofollow another player. Sometimes I get totally disoriented as to which way I'm facing or heading or turning when I'm chasing another ship to fire on them and they go evasive maneuvers. It's feels kinda like when I was learning how to drive backwards. Not because everything is backwards but if you start really messing up driving backwards you can start to lose the road. The trick with having the camera snap back to center behind my ship so I can get my bearings again seems to be working for now. There's no doubt I'll eventually get a lot better feel for it. Just takes practice.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 06:01:43 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2016, 06:07:02 AM »
I hear ya on the 'just have fun'. Just digging for anything that you thought might stick out as something handy to have/do. For example I saw a device that summons a bank or something like this that every one can use when it's summoned. I dunno how handy that is but I never would have thought to look for something like that. Well, and I stumbled on this part of the game to research different things like Shields, Engines, Weapons. It takes like 1 click and 20 hours to go up a level and I can make stuff too. I guess that's the tradeskilling?

The flashing thing is Duty Officer Missions....? Duty Officer missions.. Have to look again in the morning. I thought it was telling me to do some R&D and I'm like 'but I have no open slots' and I couldn't find anything else there to do.

Soooo blue/purple bridge officers. Ok. My favorite bridge officer 'powers' so far are the ones that suck shields dry. The ones that boost my own shields back up have saved me a few times.

---

Oh yeah and let me bug you about the ship autofollow thing again. Sometimes I get totally disoriented as to which way I'm facing or heading or turning when I'm chasing another ship and they go evasive maneuvers. It's feels kinda like when I was learning how to drive backwards. Not because everything is backwards but if you start really messing up driving backwards you can start to lose the road. The trick with having the camera snap back to center behind my ship so I can get my bearings again seems to be working for now. There's no doubt I'll eventually get a lot better feel for it. Just takes practice.
That's the good thing about the bridge officers is that you can buy say a purple boff say a sci officer they can still get those powers :), I remember when I was trailing someone by esd, I was not ready for the camera switching, even though I had free camera on city of. :)
The reason I bring up purple and blue boffs is because they have better stats such as +covert %.
Yes the blinking is the doff system, letting you know you have doff missions ready or you are ready to participate in it

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2016, 02:59:21 PM »
Ship movement/orientation might help me out if I could move like we can when holding both mice buttons down. But I don't like having both buttons mashed down while trying to hit other mouse buttons, and, I can't hotkey that function with any other mouse button. The closest I came is hotkeying right-drag + L Ctrl which is where my pinky usually sits when flying but that can be awkward too. Autofollow would be useful. I don't want to do autofollow combat, just want to get my bearings by tapping it once in awhile.

Ah well, I for sure will get it. I'm using a relatively tiny screen right now too and that doesn't help due to sometimes when I get disoriented I can't tell the front of my ship from the back..ha. Man it would be so great to play STO on the TV I played CoH on and CO too in the beginning.

Is R&D tradeskilling? Is it worth it? I'm like 1 rare component away from making mk 7 ship shields. Besides wanting one, they sell for a (relative) fortune in the Auction house.

Some Faves:

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2016, 06:58:22 PM »
Ship movement/orientation might help me out if I could move like we can when holding both mice buttons down. But I don't like having both buttons mashed down while trying to hit other mouse buttons, and, I can't hotkey that function with any other mouse button. The closest I came is hotkeying right-drag + L Ctrl which is where my pinky usually sits when flying but that can be awkward too. Autofollow would be useful. I don't want to do autofollow combat, just want to get my bearings by tapping it once in awhile.

Ah well, I for sure will get it. I'm using a relatively tiny screen right now too and that doesn't help due to sometimes when I get disoriented I can't tell the front of my ship from the back..ha. Man it would be so great to play STO on the TV I played CoH on and CO too in the beginning.

Is R&D tradeskilling? Is it worth it? I'm like 1 rare component away from making mk 7 ship shields. Besides wanting one, they sell for a (relative) fortune in the Auction house.
they are very worth it to make the shields, weapons, and everything else; until admiral. A word of advice though skip mk7 and make mk 8's. :) Think of this like odd numbers is the low end of the current rank you like captain and the even numbers is the high end of that rank.
For movement and combat I would recommend turtling, what this means is moving slowly this can also work in combat. When I tested this game, this is the tactic I used; all the way to launch. :)

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2016, 08:01:11 PM »
Cool, I'll look more into tradeskilling then and thanks for the tip.

Finally looked at some new bridge officers at the auction house. Good stuff. I can't figure out how to add my new people without deleting the old ones, though. I can still get kinda lost in the interface sometimes.

Finally made that Duty Officer icon quit flashing too.. Had a level's worth of rewards waiting there.. ha

Some Faves:

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2016, 08:45:09 PM »
Cool, I'll look more into tradeskilling then and thanks for the tip.

Finally looked at some new bridge officers at the auction house. Good stuff. I can't figure out how to add my new people without deleting the old ones, though. I can still get kinda lost in the interface sometimes.

Finally made that Duty Officer icon quit flashing too.. Had a level's worth of rewards waiting there.. ha
yw :), you could replace white con bridge officers they are very basic and in the long run they could be a hindrance on away missions and or space fights. If you can you could buy more bridge officer slots via the zstore. :)

Excidia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2016, 08:32:05 PM »
You don't ever leave someone FOR dead.  You leave them DEAD.

Artillerie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2016, 09:00:11 PM »

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2016, 03:01:45 PM »
Haha that's awesome.

Karma rep + 1

-----

I'm glad I didn't see this first or I'd have snagged it and it's nowhere near my birthday and my first captain is still 35ish.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 03:18:51 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Excidia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2016, 08:16:49 PM »
Glad it went to someone who could and would use it.

e-
You don't ever leave someone FOR dead.  You leave them DEAD.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2016, 09:45:00 PM »
STO seems like a real good candidate for a newbie guide. It seems like it would really cut down on the learning curve a lot. Even with all of Angel's help, tyvm, I probably should have/should google one at some point.

What sticks out about STO to me is that it's a good space game. I'd put that right up there with being a good comic book game and almost as rare.

Some Faves:

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2016, 02:34:39 PM »
To everyone getting into STO now, you're getting in at a good time. The first year or so in this game was rough, but I would say STO is probably the most improved game out there. I've been away for a couple years, and just got back into it. Just finished the Delta Quadrant missions, and now trying to upgrade my gear before diving into the Iconian stuff. Speaking of gear, of the two MMOs I frequent, this one at least doesn't require you to have "1337 everything" if you just want to play casually and have fun.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2016, 04:08:44 PM »
Right before I took a break from CO, I mean like a week before, I came up with a treasured combat log that shows me outdpsing one of my dps heroes and someone who's name everyone who plays would recognize. Not only that I did it to their main who just upgraded their gear to top of the line and wanted to check their dps in a Rampage (team event).

That's a pretty fine leet moment, for me.

This week, I'm all STO.

*shrug* that must say something! Says to me I got lucky and found another game I like lots. I'm a sucker for a quality space game and haven't played one in forever.

I'm still barely one step up from newb in STO but so far I would have to agree with the pacing. So far, in STO there's plenty to do but it's all casual. The space battles, which are the core of the game to me, move at 1/10th the speed I'm used to playing but they aren't any less challenging. They make me feel like I've been living in 2d...ha.

There are some things that can throw off the new player in STO. Constantly makes wonder how many people have left the game before giving it a fair shot. I think a lot of my newb problems would have been solved if I would have just rtfm (like a decent down and dirty guide..) .. But who does that...?? hehe

On the one hand, at times I've been frustrated with getting used to finding things in the interface but on the other I can appreciate some of the qol things that are there. Like being able to see and manipulate my bank, ship, and personal inventory all in one place and be able to sell from Inventory. I would not be surprised if one of the game's developers responsible for things like this is/was into tradeskilling and farming as a player.

-----

Hey...  late Happy Birthday, Artillerie! Hope it just kept getting better. Sheesh I can't believe I forgot to say something *again*. For shame, for shame!  : )

« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 05:53:09 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2016, 10:22:22 PM »
How's this for a Romulan Empire name......

*Malien*

Similar to, but way better than, Manimal, due to there can be...

FEmalien!

/bow
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2016, 01:56:48 PM »
Awwww not even a groan for Malien...? ha  : )

OK I give.. Two new questions.

First, what is 'Common Inventory'? I thought it was vendor loot due to I can make it myself with the Replicator and it doesn't seem to have any use. Well, and, it's called Common Inventory.. But then I got some fancy sounding Common Inventory I can't make myself this morning as a reward for a Rare Doff mish... Soooo I thought I prolly ought to check before I vendor too much more of it.

The other thing is with tradeskilling. I'm at level 5 Shields research. I have all the mats to make mk 8 shields but the Start Task button won't ungrey. If I try to make mk 10 shields, I get a note next to the greyed start button that says my skill is too low. I don't get this note for any shields Below mk10. But. I still can't make any shields above mk 2 - and I have checked and quadruple checked that I have the mats.

So, basically I can make mk 2 shields with level 5 shields research skill but nothing above that and I do have the mats.

Some Faves:

Exxar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2016, 06:02:28 PM »
To everyone getting into STO now, you're getting in at a good time. The first year or so in this game was rough, but I would say STO is probably the most improved game out there. I've been away for a couple years, and just got back into it.
Could try it again then. The first time I tried it wasn't within the first year, but just after the first time they revamped the tutorial/new player experience I think.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2016, 08:54:37 PM »
I can't stop playing this game.

There's still a lot to learn and I'm not getting the playtime I want but at this point it's one of the funnest games I ever played.

Some Faves: