Author Topic: Star Trek Online  (Read 273724 times)

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
Re: Star Trek Online
« Reply #120 on: May 13, 2016, 07:18:27 PM »
I didn't expect perfect world to ever really invest in the cryptic games at this point. Good for them

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #121 on: May 13, 2016, 08:52:08 PM »
Looks like STO is going to be on the PS4 and xbox http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9956413

Given the age of STO.... holy cow! I guess they're not planning on closing up shop anytime soon.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2016, 09:02:01 PM »
Given the age of STO.... holy cow! I guess they're not planning on closing up shop anytime soon.
I agree, when ever I login there are a bunch of people playing. Personally I am glad there are going to be more playing, I am just worry that the devs might opt to write for the consoles and port of the code to the pc. I have played 2 games that was made that way and to me they were not good.

@Noyjitat, Perfect world always did support Cryptic games Neverwinter and STO, they never bothered with co and now it shows.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2016, 11:08:12 PM »
STO definitely has a larger playerbase than CO. I can tell by the queue times, Zone chat, how fast my stuff sells in the market, the number of Fleets recruiting (of all sizes..) and the amount of resources I see pumped into Fleets. I'm getting a feel for Fleets anyway, here, in my second Fleet - Go go Wolf Pack! Arrewwwww!

CO has an international playerbase but STO's is internationallier - for trivia's sake. I would rate the *average* age at around 3 to 400 years older, too.

On a scale of 1 - 10 I would rate STO's playerbase "strength" (I'll post my Zone Chat Mids when it's complete) at ~ 9.5.

CO has a strong playerbase, too, not putting it down, just using it for comparison since that's what I was playing.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2016, 03:44:35 PM »
It's kind of interesting seeing MMOs starting to migrate over to consoles. DCUO has always been available on PS systems, they just released an XB1 version a couple of weeks ago. Neverwinter, ESO, etc.

Although I seem to recall that STO and CO were both supposed to be released on the 360 when they first came out, but I can't remember exactly why they never did.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2016, 07:34:58 PM »
It's probably not new to most of you but it's new to me...

Ohhh ahhhhh...

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9968873
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #126 on: May 18, 2016, 07:23:41 AM »
It's probably not new to most of you but it's new to me...

Ohhh ahhhhh...

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9968873

:) One of my favorite non-repeating alien creatures from all of the Trekverse.

Surelle

« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2016, 05:44:14 PM »
I didn't expect perfect world to ever really invest in the cryptic games at this point. Good for them

From what Christopher Bruce (Back Alley Brawler) said in his recent Reddit AMA, Cryptic (and so, by extension, PWI) tried to buy and rez CoX after the Paragon transfer failed (although Cryptic's attempt also failed), so it looks like they try to invest in more than you think.  Good for them! 

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #128 on: May 25, 2016, 09:04:33 PM »
I know no one understood how this was going to work... I dunno who figured it out yet, though, so....

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9983073

Aha!

Well it's a littler clearer anyway..

: )

Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #129 on: June 01, 2016, 05:38:46 AM »
I'm finally getting used to driving in space.

STO is a whole different game when you don't completely suck at it. Is it just me that had such a hard time in the beginning? Half the time I couldn't even tell the front of my ship from the back.

I really really want to play STO on a nice sized screen.

Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2016, 02:25:35 AM »
I can see myself cruising in a less pink version of this baby..
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10001653-star-trek-online%3A-summer-event-2016-ship

Man, t6 ships are EXPENSIVE! (The cost of those fleet dock modules, or whatever they're called..) This one looks kinda sweet, too.

The summer event? Big deal? Looks promising.

If I'd have had more playtime during the Crystalline Entity event I would be swimming in marks right now...! Even without a lot of playtime I made out pretty well.
Some Faves:

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #131 on: June 12, 2016, 03:29:49 PM »
Half the time I couldn't even tell the front of my ship from the back.

My main character still can't tell the front of the ship from the back...because he's flying last year's Risa Event ship, the Ferengi Nandi Warship  ???

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9315723-star-trek-online%3A-ferengi-nandi-stats

Basically, that ships flies backwards.
To my eyes anyway.

Perhaps the Ferengi designed it that way to give them a split second edge to escape should a deal go sour  ;)

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #132 on: June 12, 2016, 09:14:14 PM »
I can see myself cruising in a less pink version of this baby..
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10001653-star-trek-online%3A-summer-event-2016-ship

Man, t6 ships are EXPENSIVE! (The cost of those fleet dock modules, or whatever they're called..) This one looks kinda sweet, too.

The summer event? Big deal? Looks promising.

If I'd have had more playtime during the Crystalline Entity event I would be swimming in marks right now...! Even without a lot of playtime I made out pretty well.

Like the Risian Corvette, I'm sure you can recolor it.

What's important to note about this year's summer event: Star Trek Online has stopped the practice of allowing prior event "merits" from working in successive years.  You have approx. 30-40 days to earn enough to get the ship, but in the past, if you didn't make it you could spend the following year's merits toward last year's project.

Now, that is not allowed.  If it looks like you're not going to make it (40 pearls able to be earned a day, with 5 days left and you have 600 collected), all you can do is drop the event because the 2016 Lohlunat Pearls will not work for the 2017 event to earn toward something else.  And dropping the event means you collected the pearls for nothing since you won't get them back.  (They did create a conversion vendor to turn unspent pearls into items to clear them off your inventory at least.)

They have done this as well for the Winter Event: the Q Commendations behave the same way starting this Holiday Season.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2016, 12:16:57 AM »
My main character still can't tell the front of the ship from the back...because he's flying last year's Risa Event ship, the Ferengi Nandi Warship  ???

I was like, haha! And then I saw the ship and was like... Either end of this ship could be the front.

Like the Risian Corvette, I'm sure you can recolor it.

What's important to note about this year's summer event: Star Trek Online has stopped the practice of allowing prior event "merits" from working in successive years.  You have approx. 30-40 days to earn enough to get the ship, but in the past, if you didn't make it you could spend the following year's merits toward last year's project.

Now, that is not allowed.  If it looks like you're not going to make it (40 pearls able to be earned a day, with 5 days left and you have 600 collected), all you can do is drop the event because the 2016 Lohlunat Pearls will not work for the 2017 event to earn toward something else.  And dropping the event means you collected the pearls for nothing since you won't get them back.  (They did create a conversion vendor to turn unspent pearls into items to clear them off your inventory at least.)

They have done this as well for the Winter Event: the Q Commendations behave the same way starting this Holiday Season.

How Un-STOish. They normally seem to err on the side of generosity with their loot,

I feel a little like Spock from the episode where they go to Risa. I don't need a rest, I'm ready to blow more stuff up. Pillows are for resting!

Is there any way to earn event drops from ... Space?

Being in full body armor on the beach might be killing the spirit of the event for me some, too. I seeeeeem to stick out..

Some Faves:

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2016, 11:23:34 AM »

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9315723-star-trek-online%3A-ferengi-nandi-stats

Basically, that ships flies backwards.
To my eyes anyway.

Perhaps the Ferengi designed it that way to give them a split second edge to escape should a deal go sour  ;)

It has a front mandible looking area and engines on the rear that are similar enough to the Ferengi Marauder from the shows that you can pick it out, but without those hints it does seem to naturally want to go the other way.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Turjan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2016, 08:17:01 PM »
It has a front mandible looking area and engines on the rear that are similar enough to the Ferengi Marauder from the shows that you can pick it out, but without those hints it does seem to naturally want to go the other way.

I used to fly the Breen Chel Grett as that toon's primary ship, but the Nandi has slightly better stats. Just better enough to keep me flying it, even if I am constantly saying "Grumble grumble...backwards flying, big-eared, latinum-pinching silliness...grumble grumble..." ;)

But then my Admiral cannot really claim to be free of silliness himself really, given that he looks like this -

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2016, 11:46:15 PM »
Nice......pussyhat?
Some Faves:

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2016, 12:11:53 AM »
Either that or it's The Weeknd's new look.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2016, 09:33:53 AM »
I've been wanting to get back to STO, but I can't get the client to open.  After a bit of fiddling with the launcher... now it doesn't open, either.

Turjan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #139 on: June 15, 2016, 02:12:14 PM »
I've been wanting to get back to STO, but I can't get the client to open.  After a bit of fiddling with the launcher... now it doesn't open, either.

That'll be the Arc game launcher thing probably - Perfect World introduced 'Arc' in 2014 as a launch platform for their games. To install and run STO now, you'll need to go through the Arc launcher, unless you happen to have an old STO launcher that still works (which is what I still use).