Author Topic: Star Trek Online  (Read 273680 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Re: Star Trek Online
« Reply #360 on: May 29, 2017, 02:25:15 PM »
Mirror Universe....

I just minutes ago finally had the revelation of how easy and .... fun, even, this event can be. Man, the amount of times I flubbed my way through this thing! A lot of people do and even worse than I did.

All you have to do, if you don't know already... is hover around one of those power transfer stations and make sure it Stays On. When it goes off, turn it back on again.

This will make your progress bar progress to the end boss fight nicely.

If you can close rifts that open near the station you're protecting (those floating dish things that have a beam shooting towards the station when they're on) then that's all the better. Especially if that rift is Real close to the station because it will make it that much harder for you to keep that station powered up with a rift that's flowing ships out of it nearby.

If you get overwhelmed, try and find someone else that knows what they're doing and go help them if no one shows up to help you. I ran a few queue's after learning The Secret (that is detailed in the Intro..) and did have a prob holding a station, once, but got lucky and someone showed up to help.

I actually look forward to playing this later, now!

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #361 on: May 31, 2017, 06:36:03 PM »
I've been spending a lot of time with builds/new ships lately.

Once your toon is 60 and has all its innates, traits, Reps maxed, and, is sitting in a T6 with at least Fleet level gear, it's kinda endgame time. The time where you look at all you've got and can get and try to find the pattern that fits best for what you want to try and do.

For me the build bug started out with getting new T6's for everyone that didn't have one already (3toons/5). Then there was the ISP data limits removal. Then I noticed an.... anomaly. I had 1 ship with just far out regen for both Hull and Shield, and, oh joy, it already had abilities (Doff powers + ship Masteries) that boost both of these things. So I was like "how far can I take this..?". And that's when the loss in combat (actual Play) time started. A little tweak here, little tweak there. What if I do this..

Now if I could remove some shadow and mystery from Captain Skills.. Like, does EPS flow affect Exotic damage..? Is +2 to all subsystems power or increased Turn rate or Shield pen for a shield Drain build really worth spending points on? Lemme grab my list, it's way longer than that..

There is more endgame to STO shipbuilding than I had originally thought. It's about Captain Innates... & Traits, Consoles(gear), Ships(gear), Reputation (Traits/gear), Boff Innates.., Boff power selection and Boff Ship seating (who can sit where and how many/what powers can they use) and adding Specializations like Temporal or Pilot to Boffs when possible/desireable, and... consumables and... accolades(is this what they call them?)... and... stuff I'm not thinking about or don't know about right now, and..... it's pretty cool.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #362 on: June 01, 2017, 08:37:45 PM »
If you ever agonized over your Skill choices.. It may make you feel better to know that you have a LOT of room for error. How much? Well, hmm.. I'm managing to get agro in PVE queues with a blank skill list. As in, I wiped out all my old skills with a retcon and chose no new ones, yet.

This isn't saying Skill tree choices don't matter. Just saying, don't agonize too much..

I decided to go this route due to I'm deciding what gear and Traits I want to use, first. Then I plan to use the Skill choices to round that out. I didn't think this approach would work but I'm running Mirror Universe queue's, no problemo. And some Advanced queues for components. No Skill choices. Blank slate.

Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #363 on: June 07, 2017, 05:51:51 PM »
Sooooo... I already have a Sci ship I'm pretty happy with and haven't even fully broken in, but... the Summer Event ship does look nice. Fat hull, nice mastery package, nice console, And nice trait. +10 to Aux and Shields.  I dunno about the color choices in the screenie but its looks are decent enough. Basically all good. Could have a smidge better turn rate but there's always consoles and traits and skills for that.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10525893

It's not entirely free... Playing Is required..

I can never acquire all the tokens needed by the end of these Events for one reason or another, but, on the good side - only one toon has to unlock the ship and all toons on the account get to use it. Not that I want to trade for the one that I just got... but to me it looks as good as about any Sci ship in the game. Which are, about the best ships in the game.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:58:12 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #364 on: June 08, 2017, 06:08:07 PM »
With today's patch they've not only successfully repaired the new Season 13 PvE queue layout so that .. it's as good as the old one .. they even added some functionality. Once again I can survey all the Advanced queues at a glance and now even filter out Normals if I wanted to.

I can protect/lock items in my inventory that I want to Stay in my inventory, too. So I don't lose them when vendoring or whatever. This is a good feature. Not played around with it much yet but I like the idea. Who hasn't wanted to lock particular items before so they didn't have to even think about them accidently poofing when emptying out bags at a vendor or whatever.

Anyway, it's good to see whoever's in charge of the interface is back from vacation...hehe.

I think I would make a good game interface guy. I can usually look at an interface for a game I'm familiar with and tell you right off what I would change about it to make it more useful. They could turn me loose on the Auction houses for CO (especially) and STO. And half or more of the player population, too, probably.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #365 on: June 09, 2017, 06:00:37 PM »
Summer Event..

Here's a neat tip. If you put a Risa tribble together with Risa food for long enough they're supposed to make a tribble that gives you + 5 airspeed for the race I can't remember the name of right now that gives the vouchers you need once a day to complete the Summer Event.

Also, Favor is purchasable in the Exchange if you want it but don't want to farm it. I bought 10 million EC worth and am not even sure what I'm going to do with it I just knew I didn't want to farm it.

And, if you didn't know already, if you want the Event ship, all you have to do is run the race I can't remember the name of right now once daily until you've got enough Vouchers.

Before you do that.. you have to have (1) (purchasable) Favor to turn into the Rep system that will then ask you for 1000 Vouchers to complete the Summer event.

Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #366 on: June 10, 2017, 08:54:50 PM »
Holy geez how easy is it to win this thing (The Summer Event T6 ship).. Even I might manage to complete a T6 awarding event this time.

For some reason I thought you had to run the Powerboard race every day (that only runs once every 30 minutesish, and, that I ALWAYS get disqualified from.. Still.. Powerboards *are* fun)..

Anyway, all you really have to do is talk to the Event coordinator on Risa and do "Flying High" 25 times in the next month and 10 days, turn in the Vouchers you get to the Rep system, collect your ship.

"Flying High" can only be ran once every day (20 hours) and it's in the Cooldown List that they put back in the PvE queue. You can't hardly flub it, it's halfway entertaining, and it doesn't take long to complete. There's lots of arrows showing which direction to go and you can go completely off course and still pick back up and continue on to the Finish. Err.. I tested that out for everyone just to make sure.

I also have no idea why I thought this was a Sci ship.. It's a Cruiser. Which accounts for the 6.5 turn rate and 65k hps.. I think I saw the +10 to aux, and, also, saw Subsystem Targeting and read Sensor Analysis, and, that just read as a Sci ship. Oops. This ship has No secondary deflector.

I just happen to be in the market for a t6 Cruiser... lol. Glad someone posted this!
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #367 on: June 16, 2017, 12:14:48 AM »
On your marks, for Marks!

There is a plethora of farming available in STO. Luckily for us they have an Event or Sale for about anything you'd want to farm and if you take advantage of the ones that award what you want when they roll around you can save a lot of time and coin.

Right now, it's Marks farming timesaving time. No waiting for the queue that gives the marks you want to pop.. and when it's over, which doesn't take so long, you get triple or so the reward. I also happen to enjoy Atmosphere Assault as one of my favorite queues and that queue is normally lit up like a pinball macheen all throughout this event.

I like shuttles, too! The first time I ran this 'Event' I was like, wha.... why? But I've come to appreciate it. First of all, don't look at it like 'I can't use all my toys' - look at it like 'I get to use only my Best toys'. And then, remember how easy the queues are to complete.. with your best toys. Second... All your toons are FAST! No slow ships.. And you get to swoop down on huge Walkers performing a planetary assault - the only other goal, being, - Kill All. It's pretty straightforward and satisfying, and, rewarding.

The only thing I don't like about this Event is redoing hotkeys! Ugh this is annoying.. I've saved all New and Up to Date Loadouts for each toon... We'll see what mess I have when the event's over and I switch everyone back to their normal ships. Hopefully none.. It's a small gripe but worth mentioning what a pain in the butt this can be. Save your Loadouts..
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #368 on: June 21, 2017, 10:26:30 PM »
The Ferengi finally show up to illustrate how farming is done:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10542693

An overdue but perfectly sensible update.

Some Faves:

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #369 on: June 22, 2017, 11:57:43 AM »
For a moment, I was excited, since I have a Ferengi captain and I like the storyline idea of having him help out the Ferengi Trade Alliance.

Then I remembered the Ferengi captain is on my PC account, which I can no longer play due to removal of the Mac client. :(

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #370 on: June 22, 2017, 06:15:36 PM »
For a moment, I was excited, since I have a Ferengi captain and I like the storyline idea of having him help out the Ferengi Trade Alliance.

Then I remembered the Ferengi captain is on my PC account, which I can no longer play due to removal of the Mac client. :(

I'm happy to at least have brought a Moment of excitement!

If it makes you feel better, my first/main Should have been Ferengi. He has outfitted more newbs than.. most. Too bad we can't retcon Races. Nobody usually lets you do this, though, so, no surprise. And besides, Ferengi don't get an innate Space bonus which offends my min/maxiness. I already let an Andorian Fleet Admiral slip through! On the premise that he is my Ground guy. But then I found out I don't need a Ground guy..

Anyway!

More news that gave Me a moment of excitement...
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10546163

Maybe next year  : /

Ice still too thin here this year.

/em skateaway
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #371 on: June 23, 2017, 05:42:39 PM »
Not to be link spammy.... but, this is another kinda cool new addition to the game.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10549024

Something I've always liked about STO is that it's open ended. Like a Good space game. I can spend an entire play day doing something completely different than last time I played and both things I did most likely gave some kind of useful reward. I also like how they have Events and Sales for the most sought after stuff (everything?) to Drastically cut down on farming time/cost to get the things I want. And, I like how they encourage diversity with different weapons & gear. The above, kinda expands on that. Good stuff.
Some Faves:

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #372 on: June 24, 2017, 09:51:38 AM »
Not to be link spammy.... but, this is another kinda cool new addition to the game.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10549024

Something I've always liked about STO is that it's open ended. Like a Good space game. I can spend an entire play day doing something completely different than last time I played and both things I did most likely gave some kind of useful reward. I also like how they have Events and Sales for the most sought after stuff (everything?) to Drastically cut down on farming time/cost to get the things I want. And, I like how they encourage diversity with different weapons & gear. The above, kinda expands on that. Good stuff.
na, I will wait for the next hot mess of a recruitment drive. The delta recruit was great. The lat drive was nothing but a hot mess.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #373 on: June 24, 2017, 01:12:31 PM »
na, I will wait for the next hot mess of a recruitment drive. The delta recruit was great. The lat drive was nothing but a hot mess.

Huh?
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #374 on: June 26, 2017, 03:42:28 PM »
Does anyone know of a good log parser? Preferably one that's being updated? I was in a team last night with my rape the map build and they parsed me at 17k dps.. Dead last in the team. I'm like... No... Freakin'... Way!

I doubt log files will pick up all data from all players if they're out of range. I'm guessing this is what happened. We were clearing the map so fast (Infected: The Conduit - Advanced) that I can't imagine there were two people with such low dps and there was another player with a score just barely higher than mine. Who I am guessing was out of range, too.

There are two main targets in that queue - on opposite sides of the map... I bet me and the other low scoring player were just out of range of the person who doesn't know how to use their parser  : p

If I can ever lay down triple the amount of dps (as the High Score log poster was, supposedly) I was laying down in that queue I won't even need a team much less care what their dps is..

/mini-rant: off

: )

Anyway, links plx.

~~~~~

Just an update... I found what seems to be a good parser and I seem to know how to use it and.. my dps is not nearly as amazing as I thought. I mention this because I thought my dps was pretty good in STO. After a lot of effort.. And I do get in the top 2 a lot. But. Man, some people are just way out there compared to me. I'm talking, 1 of them is like 3 of me. And, if iirc.., I saw some posts of people's dps that is 3x what the people that are 3x of me is.

Apparently the above queue is famous for parsing deeps. I thought I was OK at laying them down but I bow to the experts and will kindly eat my own words, above. As soon as I finish removing my foot from my mouth.

That's pretty amazing toonbuilding - I don't care How they did it... Grats to those ppl.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:31:22 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #375 on: June 27, 2017, 07:56:46 PM »
Some Faves:

cmgangrel

• Elite Boss
« Reply #376 on: June 28, 2017, 07:06:37 PM »
Does anyone know of a good log parser? Preferably one that's being updated? I was in a team last night with my rape the map build and they parsed me at 17k dps.. Dead last in the team. I'm like... No... Freakin'... Way!

I doubt log files will pick up all data from all players if they're out of range. I'm guessing this is what happened. We were clearing the map so fast (Infected: The Conduit - Advanced) that I can't imagine there were two people with such low dps and there was another player with a score just barely higher than mine. Who I am guessing was out of range, too.

There are two main targets in that queue - on opposite sides of the map... I bet me and the other low scoring player were just out of range of the person who doesn't know how to use their parser  : p

If I can ever lay down triple the amount of dps (as the High Score log poster was, supposedly) I was laying down in that queue I won't even need a team much less care what their dps is..

/mini-rant: off

: )

Anyway, links plx.

~~~~~

Just an update... I found what seems to be a good parser and I seem to know how to use it and.. my dps is not nearly as amazing as I thought. I mention this because I thought my dps was pretty good in STO. After a lot of effort.. And I do get in the top 2 a lot. But. Man, some people are just way out there compared to me. I'm talking, 1 of them is like 3 of me. And, if iirc.., I saw some posts of people's dps that is 3x what the people that are 3x of me is.

Apparently the above queue is famous for parsing deeps. I thought I was OK at laying them down but I bow to the experts and will kindly eat my own words, above. As soon as I finish removing my foot from my mouth.

That's pretty amazing toonbuilding - I don't care How they did it... Grats to those ppl.

Kinda like those who threw together builds (or badly planned/optimised) and those who used MIDS to the fullest. The difference in performance levels was amazing even in CoX

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #377 on: June 28, 2017, 08:22:09 PM »
Kinda like those who threw together builds (or badly planned/optimised) and those who used MIDS to the fullest. The difference in performance levels was amazing even in CoX

Point taken. I don't didn't consider *myself* a person with a thrown together build that was badly planned or optimized! I put a lot of thought and time and as good as gear as I know of (I still have a shopping list but it's small) into my builds that I am nonstop optimizing.

Something Else that had me in disbelief at the beginning is that I very often have agro in queue's and I usually hold on to it and I'm in DPS mode. I'm not trying to get agro but I do which generally means I'm either using an agro magnet power or laying down the most dps. I haven't parsed that many fights yet but I seem to normally score in the top 2 which backs up my theory that in the average team my DPS is ... where it should be for me to be happy. So... I've kinda been coasting, ya know? I figured I won the game already.

Nuuupe.

Oddly, I'm still happy with my builds even after the rude awakening! That is very odd, for me. I'm not nearly as motivated to achieve the level I saw in that parse as I was in CoH when a regen/claws Scrapper inspired me to finally become a good melee player in an MMO and enjoy it so much I didn't hardly want to play anything else, and, that inspired me to tune my builds until I was running PL teams in RWZ and Architect (+4/x8 ofc) and farming places like Architect and Cimerora. You know! Like people who know how to use beloved MIDS, did.

STO: Where finally achieving just above average even after a lot of effort and expense, is not so bad.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #378 on: June 29, 2017, 03:19:53 AM »
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 03:06:28 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

cmgangrel

• Elite Boss
« Reply #379 on: June 30, 2017, 02:31:39 AM »
Point taken. I don't didn't consider *myself* a person with a thrown together build that was badly planned or optimized! I put a lot of thought and time and as good as gear as I know of (I still have a shopping list but it's small) into my builds that I am nonstop optimizing.

Something Else that had me in disbelief at the beginning is that I very often have agro in queue's and I usually hold on to it and I'm in DPS mode. I'm not trying to get agro but I do which generally means I'm either using an agro magnet power or laying down the most dps. I haven't parsed that many fights yet but I seem to normally score in the top 2 which backs up my theory that in the average team my DPS is ... where it should be for me to be happy. So... I've kinda been coasting, ya know? I figured I won the game already.

All depends on how Aggro skills work in STO. CoX had punchvoke/gauntlet for *everything* a tanker/brute did (IIRC, never played them so just purely going off memory) (even if it dealt no damage)

Oddly, I'm still happy with my builds even after the rude awakening! That is very odd, for me. I'm not nearly as motivated to achieve the level I saw in that parse as I was in CoH when a regen/claws Scrapper inspired me to finally become a good melee player in an MMO and enjoy it so much I didn't hardly want to play anything else, and, that inspired me to tune my builds until I was running PL teams in RWZ and Architect (+4/x8 ofc) and farming places like Architect and Cimerora. You know! Like people who know how to use beloved MIDS, did.

STO: Where finally achieving just above average even after a lot of effort and expense, is not so bad.

That is not strange in the slightest to be honest. I personally have spent more time optimising ship fits in Elite Dangerous/Eve Online than I did building characters in MIDS (and I played CoX for a few years longer).

In CoX, what I had was "good enough", to get "much better" involved a complete respec and THEN several billion in inf costs....