Author Topic: Star Trek Online  (Read 273727 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Re: Star Trek Online
« Reply #460 on: July 16, 2017, 05:34:47 PM »
Tried out the APU, and ... kinda regretting not selling it for 2 million instead of opening it.  I mean, yeah, it's a good ship, but I like my Vo'Quv a lot better.  It will be good for Admirality missions, of course.

I told ya it was a flying box with lights!

You don't get the full stats of the ship until you upgrade it. And then you get 4 Masteries...

I  Absorptive Hull Plating  +25 Physical Damage Resistance Rating. +25 Kinetic Damage Resistance Rating. 

II  Rapid Repairs  Regenerates 1.25% of your maximum hull every 3 seconds in Space. Twice the amount is regenerated out of combat. 

III  Enhanced Hull Plating  +25 All Energy Damage Resistance Rating. +25 Radiation Damage Resistance Rating. 

IV  Armored Hull  +10% Hull Hitpoints. 

Plus extra hull, extra shield(?).  At that point I wouldn't say it blows away T5's but it's a significant upgrade. Without the T5-U upgrade it doesn't have any better stats or abilities than any other T5.

I still think you made the right move. Assuming the looks/feel doesn't turn you off (RCS modules help a lot with the turn rate). The upgrade for that ship costs less than a quarter of what it costs to buy any next level ship (a Fleet T6). Sorry you're bummed with my suggestion, though!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:52:07 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #461 on: July 20, 2017, 12:07:33 AM »
I've not been able to log in much lately to anything, but.... I did notice that the APU also gets an extra (10th) console with the T5-U upgrade and that it costs 5 Fleet modules, not 4, for a Fleet T6 - so those Fleet T6's are going to be a lot more expensive than a T5-U.

None of that will change the fact that the APU's a flying box with lights. That turns pretty well with a little turn rate buffing.

The Featured Episode definitely looks worth doing. The fastest Spec point in the game.. Or a good tech upgrade. The console (mish reward) looks good. The omni looks.. like an omni. It's purple set gear that's attainable at level 10 and is free to upgrade all the way to MK XII.. I dunno what the set bonuses are but I'm going to run this on at least 1 toon that's currently running partially upgraded Rom Plasma and see how it turns out. I'm sure I can find some other Disrupter gear to combine with it if the bonuses are decent.. It looks like good Cruiser/Sci gear, so far.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #462 on: July 20, 2017, 10:12:53 PM »
I might upgrade it at some point.  I don't have enough EC or Zen for that yet, though.  (2.5 million EC in the bank, about 300 Zen)

Also, I am still seriously digging my Mirror Vo'Quv.  I wanted the Obelisk Carrier when I first played it in Sphere of Influence, and considered the Vo'Quv a consolation prize of sorts, but after going back and re-playing Sphere of Influence, the Obelisk carrier is only very slightly better.  Looking at the STO Wiki, the Obelisk has 1500 more base hull points, one extra Bridge Crew slot but one less rank on the Science Bridge slot, Bonus +10 Shield/+10 Aux instead of +5 Weapons/+10 Aux, and different specialized Hangar pets, Obelisk Swarmers vs. B'Rotlh Bird-of-Prey.  But they have the same Shield multiplier, the same Impulse Speed multiplier, the same Inertia, the same Console slots, the same Device slots, the same Weapon slots, and the same crappy Turn Radius of 5.  The biggest difference is the Warriors Way ability you only have in the Sphere of Influence mission which makes the Obelisk Carrier seem a lot more powerful than it normally is.  So my "consolation prize" is not bad at all, and I'm not in as much of a rush to replace it.   (The Advanced Obelisk Carrier is a definite improvement over both, but I have no idea how to get that on the Console version.  It's not in the Lobi store where it's supposed to be.  Maybe it's not on the Console version at all)

The only T6 I really want at the moment is the Herald Vonph Dreadnought Carrier, but that is absurdly priced on the Exchange - 500+ million ECs - and there's no other way to get it at the moment. I'll just keep saving ECs and Zen for the time being.  Alternatively, I may look into the price of the Quas Cruiser or the Durgath Battlecruiser on the Exchange, too.  (I remember checking that everything with "Carrier" in the name was ungodly expensive, but I'd forgotten that not every Hangar-capable ship has "Carrier" in the name, including those two)  Edit: checked the Exchange, and the Quas is less than the Vonph, but still way out of my price range, running tens of millions.  The Durgath isn't on there at all.

STO has been the first game I've enjoyed this much since CoH went down.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 03:17:15 AM by Thunder Glove »

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #463 on: July 20, 2017, 11:40:34 PM »
I made a 23c Vulcan just to kick around for a bit. Then I discovered that, for some reason, I have to re-do all of my controls/UI because apparently my save file is awol. The tutorial mission was a nostalgia bomb, though.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #464 on: July 21, 2017, 04:55:41 AM »

STO has been the first game I've enjoyed this much since CoH went down.

CoH was the game that got me back into gaming the one time that I was *completely* out of it. The closest I came to gaming at that time was to check what inactive gaming accounts of mine had been hacked. Not that I planned on using them again, just didn't want them hacked for some reason. CoH was just going FTP (never heard of such a thing besides Demos), then. They told me I had all these Veteran Bennies waiting for me and somehow I got sucked back into playing, subbed up, and stayed subbed until the final You Have Been Disconnected.

STO is the first really good Space game I've played in forever and Space games have always been some of my favorite type to play. The first PC game that I ever bought was Star Trek: Rebel Universe. Huge game, thousands of planets to explore, came on a 360k disk.

The tutorial mission was a nostalgia bomb, though.

Props to Chekov, huh. He put the most into STO during the 50th anniversary when they added 23C stuff. And we got Scotty's son, Uhura's legs, and Kirk's back.

All my toons are 23C ever since they introduced the option.

Some Faves:

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #465 on: July 22, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »
I find it hilarious that Kirk is the only one of the captains to appear, but when you meet him he's unconscious and crumpled on the ground, so you never talk to him or even see his face.

And that's more than the other captains get.  Picard is talked up a lot, Archer and Janeway get a few references here and there, mostly in the Path to 2409 history files, and Sisko gets absolutely nothing.  He's not even mentioned.  It's like the game wanted to forget he even existed.  (His baseball is on his old desk in DS9, though)

As for the game itself... still ship-hunting.  Now that I have 500 Zen and 3.5 million EC, I'm not sure I want the Obelisk Carrier at all, at least not for my Klingon main.  I could possibly win a T6 in the Phoenix Prize Pack, but I'm not holding my breath.  I have gotten a couple of Rares, though, which gave me a nice Admiralty-only T6 and a fun Universal Console.  But I'm mostly leveling up my Romulan alt, who just got Level 40 (and her first T5 ship) today.   For her I'm getting fast and mobile Tactical-based ships rather than the slow and tanky Engineering-focused ships that I'm using on my Klingon.  (And my level 23 Fed is Science-heavy, so I have all the bases covered)

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #466 on: July 22, 2017, 05:54:17 PM »
I was reading your post with a wistful smile, thinking, ahhh, this is almost as good as playing.... when suddenly.. WHAT..WHA?

I could possibly win a T6 in the Phoenix Prize Pack

Oh damn... now I know I have to log in this weekend!!! I've been saving up for those.. I hope those are what I think they are and have what I think they have and I'm thinking of the right thing.. Will have to find out later.. They cost dil, right? Tell me it's not Zen..
Some Faves:

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #467 on: July 22, 2017, 07:38:49 PM »
It's Dil, yeah.  And you get one free box (per account, not per character) a day.

I barely have any Dil, due to trading it all for Zen (I'm up to 550!), so I've just been getting the free boxes.

This weekend is also the new Kobayashi Maru event - once a day you get an event reward, and three of those rewards earns a pair of weapons that get stronger as a fight goes on.  You don't even have to survive to get the reward.  (I haven't gotten past the fourth wave. It ramps up very quickly)

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #468 on: July 22, 2017, 07:44:16 PM »

BOO..

Curse you, Console & PC Differences! There are no Phoenix Prize Packs on PC yet... This is probably my favorite STO loot due to even if you 'lose' you win due to you can get those uber Phoenix upgrade kits that require no Dil and that give tons of upgrade xp to items. Turn your rares into commons for them when you run out of rare stuff you want.

Hey, and.. if you can get one of those Chrystalline Epic Consoles... those are... epic. Maybe that's the console you were talking about. Even if you aren't running AP weapons it can be a good console due to the effect and that it is a Universal Console that adds resistance.

I find it hilarious that Kirk is the only one of the captains to appear, but when you meet him he's unconscious and crumpled on the ground, so you never talk to him or even see his face.

Star Trek's 50th gave us some great Chekov, Scotties Son, Uhuru's legs, and....  ^^  Kirk's back..

It's Dil, yeah.  And you get one free box (per account, not per character) a day.

I barely have any Dil, due to trading it all for Zen (I'm up to 550!), so I've just been getting the free boxes.

This weekend is also the new Kobayashi Maru event - once a day you get an event reward, and three of those rewards earns a pair of weapons that get stronger as a fight goes on.  You don't even have to survive to get the reward.  (I haven't gotten past the fourth wave. It ramps up very quickly)

I was caught short on Dil the first time Phoenix boxes came around. I save up for them now!

The Kobayashi Maru gear will become available in the Event Store when you get it. Which is kinda cool, because any of your toons can grab it from there, anytime.
Some Faves:

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #469 on: July 22, 2017, 07:48:51 PM »
Curse you, Console & PC Differences! There are no Phoenix Prize Packs on PC yet... This is probably my favorite STO loot due to even if you 'lose' you win due to you can get those uber Phoenix upgrade kits that require no Dil and that give tons of upgrade xp to items. Turn your rares into commons for them when you run out of rare stuff you want.

Probably their way to compensate for Console players not being able to sub or buy LTS.  I remember sub fees were a major hangup for XBox and PS terms of service when CO was first aiming for XBox release.  Now CO is so dependent on MT it couldn't hope to go that route.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #470 on: July 22, 2017, 08:00:59 PM »
Probably their way to compensate for Console players not being able to sub or buy LTS.  I remember sub fees were a major hangup for XBox and PS terms of service when CO was first aiming for XBox release.  Now CO is so dependent on MT it couldn't hope to go that route.

Sometimes it's like Console is a whole other game. We already had the new KM on PC. I've seen Phoenix boxes twice already since I started playing. Someone in Fleet said recently that we're due for another round of Phoenix boxes soonish is why I got all excited.
Some Faves:

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #471 on: July 23, 2017, 04:19:22 PM »
Just bought another APU Cruiser on the Exchange for 125k, so this time I immediately put it back up for 2 million (the lowest price on there otherwise, though one weisenheimer put one up for 1,999,999).  If it doesn't sell, I'll give it to my Romulan alt.

Oh, and, yeah, it was the Crystalline Absorption Matrix console I picked.  (I kinda like the idea of the one that just shoots at everyone - the Automated Defense Turret but it's really not that powerful-looking, so I decided to wait until when and if I get a third Rare token.  Today's was only an Uncommon)

Edit: Also, Console does actually have lifetime subscription.  It's 16,750 Zen ($167.50) right now, though that's a sale price.  I'm not sure it's actually a "subscription" so much as just unlocking all the vet awards and other bonuses, like inventory sizes (including dry dock and banks), number of characters, and so on.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 05:09:55 PM by Thunder Glove »

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #472 on: July 23, 2017, 08:31:51 PM »
Just bought another APU Cruiser on the Exchange for 125k, so this time I immediately put it back up for 2 million (the lowest price on there otherwise, though one weisenheimer put one up for 1,999,999).  If it doesn't sell, I'll give it to my Romulan alt.

Oh, and, yeah, it was the Crystalline Absorption Matrix console I picked.  (I kinda like the idea of the one that just shoots at everyone - the Automated Defense Turret but it's really not that powerful-looking, so I decided to wait until when and if I get a third Rare token.  Today's was only an Uncommon)

Edit: Also, Console does actually have lifetime subscription.  It's 16,750 Zen ($167.50) right now, though that's a sale price.  I'm not sure it's actually a "subscription" so much as just unlocking all the vet awards and other bonuses, like inventory sizes (including dry dock and banks), number of characters, and so on.

I'm glad you got another cheap Cruiser.... Console ship prices are Nuts. Compared to PC.

I got that Crystalline Console not too long after I first started playing from some Event, not the Phoenix boxes. Duh.. it must have been the Crystalline one..!  I thought it was the uberset thing ever there for awhile and it's still one of my favorites.

Hope you're getting those Phoenix item upgrade kits! I forget the name... I'd look it up but.. dangit.. gotta go get laundry. Hopefully you know what I mean. The things that give you tons of item xp and cost no dil to use and that you should use on Double Item XP upgrade weekends if you don't have many.

PC just had a sale on LTS's and so did CO. $167 is Nothing for a lifetime STO sub... if you're not having money problems. Pays off in less than a year.
Some Faves:

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #473 on: July 23, 2017, 09:15:28 PM »
I was going to say that finding an APU Cruiser for that cheap seems to be pretty rare, and ... well, it is, but that didn't prevent me from just buying yet another one for 150,000.  I'm starting to feel guilty.  (But, hey, three characters, three APU Cruisers...)

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #474 on: July 24, 2017, 12:28:03 AM »
I was going to say that finding an APU Cruiser for that cheap seems to be pretty rare, and ... well, it is, but that didn't prevent me from just buying yet another one for 150,000.  I'm starting to feel guilty.  (But, hey, three characters, three APU Cruisers...)

When you sell one for 2 million is when you should feel guilty...lol

I mean.. they sell that for that much on PC.. It's not a ripoff from what I'm used to. I would never expect to find Any T5 below 2 million. But you're getting them at 150k!

You won't be in your T5-U(s..) long. It's a good upgrade from a T5, ships' Masteries are introduced, and I think it is a good ship. But. You already have ~ 600 Zen and climbing... When you start buying T6's you'll never look back. I didn't learn about the APU until I almost had enough for my first T6. Would have liked to have gotten it sooner like you did. x3.. for.. 150k.. and.. Half the T5-U upgrade cost...
Some Faves:

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #475 on: July 24, 2017, 10:08:49 AM »
The problem with that is that I don't see any Zen-buyable ships that I want for my Klingon main (because there are no T6 Klingon Carriers).  All the T6 ships I want are all cross-faction ships from old lockbox prizes or event prizes, and those can't be bought for Zen.  The only way to get them is to spend tens of millions (or hundreds of millions) of EC on the Exchange.  Even the KDF-only Durgath Temporal Heavy Dreadnought Battlecruiser, which isn't technically a Carrier but still has two Hangar Bays, is still not buyable for Zen (or anywhere on console, from the looks of it).

So if I sell those APUs for 2 million (which is the lowest price for most of them; the 150kks are aberrations), that's just going to go towards funding the cheapest T6 Carrier I can find on the Exchange, the Jem'Hadar Dreadnought Carrier, which starts at 60 million ECs.   The Herald Vonph Dreadnought Carrier that I really want starts at 500 million ECs.  I have about 4 million ECs total right now, so I still have a long way to go.

Basically, I don't just want to buy random T6s just for the sake of having a T6, I have my eye on specific ships, and I'm not looking to start a collection of dozens of T6 ships, I'm looking for a single T6 to be My Ship.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:10:16 PM by Thunder Glove »

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #476 on: July 24, 2017, 05:56:04 PM »
Basically, I don't just want to buy random T6s just for the sake of having a T6, I have my eye on specific ships, and I'm not looking to start a collection of dozens of T6 ships, I'm looking for a single T6 to be My Ship.

Yeah I'm kinda the same way. Only difference is, the lockbox ships don't interest me at all and I still have a few Zen/Fleet T6's I want to try. and ... the ship that is My Ship can change. I mean, I might really like a ship today, but, that doesn't mean it's permanently attached to my toon. He's flying it because it's the best thing I could find for him up to this point. I tend to buy based on stats/abilities more than looks but I did turn down a tempting Fleet Sci ship due to it was just too... ugly for me.

If I was buying ships just to start a collection I'd be buying bundles. I can never find a bundle with 2 or more ships in it that I like, though, so I always end up just picking out the 1 ship I do like.

One thing nice about the Bind to Account thing is that there is a lot of flexibility. For example, I have two Escort pilots that are in the same ship - but they are flying with completely different gear and a different look (one is in full Iconian that has an aura and gives your ship a new paint job) and one is Tac and one is Eng and one is Andorian and one is Human and... So, it's not a carbon copy thing. Also, this is just the funnest/most fitting to my playstyle Escort I've found to this point - so I have no problem letting my two Escort toons fly the same ship. I have a very similar story for my Zen Sci T6. My Rom got his own ship. Which is just the Warbird version of my Escort. This one I ended up not liking as much due to it just doesn't seem Warbidy enough. I've got my eye on a Fleet T6 Warbird with battle stealth to replace it. (Who cares if I can't share KDF ships... he's my First and Last KDF toon!).

I never plan to have all my toons fly the same ship - but... it's sure nice to have the option! To be able to have any of my toons fly any of my ships (except the KDF one.............).

But yeah, if you have your eye on a ship you have your eye on a ship. 500 million... whew.. That's a lotta coin! Would almost wipe me out.

I've not hardly been able to play lately. Too pooped. Just been tradeskilling mostly when I do play. Wanted to do the Featured Episode this weekend with one of my Sci pilots but never did. I did do an Endeavor thing, finally, though.. Those things pay off kinda decent! 1k dil and like 50k EC and some mats just for running a pve queue that gave rewards that I also wanted and that was busy due to they are giving rewards to people running it.

They have Brushfire (Featured Episode) and the Endeavor system on Console, yet? That Brushfire gear looks like decent cruiser/sci gear so far but I haven't looked up the set bonuses.
Some Faves:

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #477 on: July 24, 2017, 08:04:08 PM »
Gah, now I'm annoyed at the game.  I just finished the Midnight mission (the final one in the Iconian War arc), and picked the Nanite Repair Matrix Trait (a passive that heals your ship automatically whenever it drops below 50% Hull, with a 90 second cooldown) as my reward for the mission.  I got the box, opened the box, and ... no new Trait.  I moved to a different place, I logged in and out, and still nothing.  I don't know if I have to re-run the mission all over again to see if I can try to get it again, or if it's just permanently glitched, but I really wanted that Trait.  >:(

Edit that is after the edits below: Oh, THERE it is!  I was looking for it under Starship Traits, but it's a Personal Space Trait.  I feel dumb.

Edit: I've looked to see if anyone else has had this problem, and it seems that, yes, some people have had it at first, but the trait appeared as soon as they switched maps.  I've switched maps loads of times but ... still nothing.  Someone else said that it took a couple of days for it to appear on their list, though, so I'll wait a bit.

Double Edit: Bleah.  Earlier today, my Romulan character's game froze on a loading screen.  Even when I quit the game and re-opened it, the character was still frozen.  I had to close the game, reopen it, switch characters, play a mission on that character, and then go back to the Romulan before it worked again.  And as I was typing this post, the same thing just happened to my Klingon.  There weren't any updates today, so I'm not sure why it's suddenly bugging out all over the place.

Edit edit: And the freezing thing has happened twice more.  Seems to happen when I go to Sector Space.  I don't know why it suddenly started happening today, but now it's happening all the time.  Maybe the game's just laggy.  I do keep getting logged out quite frequently.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 02:10:12 AM by Thunder Glove »

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #478 on: July 25, 2017, 01:12:45 PM »
... just won a Voth Bulwark Dreadnaught Cruiser from the Phoenix Prize Pack.  It's not a T6, but it's a T5-U (with no Token required to upgrade).   It's not a carrier, but it comes with one Hangar Bay and the Ward Repair Ship console.  And it kinda looks like a shark.  It's not the ship I wanted, but I'm definitely going to give it a whirl, if only to unlock its Traits.

So that's exciting.

Game is still randomly freezing, though.  Hopefully today's maintenance will fix that.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #479 on: July 25, 2017, 09:28:46 PM »
I can't tell you how many times I

Edit that is after the edits below: Oh, THERE it is!  I was looking for it under Starship Traits, but it's a Personal Space Trait.  I feel dumb.

got an STO reward and then freaked out because I couldn't find it.. Usually ends up being something I have to open in my Inventory..

... just won a Voth Bulwark Dreadnaught Cruiser from the Phoenix Prize Pack.  It's not a T6, but it's a T5-U (with no Token required to upgrade).   It's not a carrier, but it comes with one Hangar Bay and the Ward Repair Ship console.  And it kinda looks like a shark.  It's not the ship I wanted, but I'm definitely going to give it a whirl, if only to unlock its Traits.

So that's exciting.

Game is still randomly freezing, though.  Hopefully today's maintenance will fix that.

I played for Months before I had a T5-U and felt lucky when I got the one I got. You have me beat.

STO will kick me to desktop sometimes when I swap toons 'too much'.. That's been about my only technical prob.

Just keeping up with tradeskilling has seemed like a challenge lately. I was going to say I haven't been playing but tradeskilling counts!  : ) My shelves stay stocked.. And I usually get at least 1 Infected Space queue dps parse to confirm it still sucks. hehe.

Waaah  I want *my* Phoenix Prize Packs, now..
Some Faves: