Author Topic: Star Trek Online  (Read 273702 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Re: Star Trek Online
« Reply #560 on: September 15, 2017, 04:23:28 PM »
Cannons were my first and still my favorite. I never got the Fire at Will hype, even before the nerf. Rapid Fire ftw.

Auras ftw! The non-weapons Iconian set has some nice visuals, too. That's the only thing I have with visuals. There's a deflector aura + arcanish paintjob.

The weapons set that's the reward for Beyond the Nexus looks decent. It has an Omni... and a turret... and a nice console. I think there is weapons haste....? as one of the set powers..? I don't know the set powers. It wouldn't fit your Klingon too well, though, probably... due to the weapons are phasers.

Xev has purple cannons, among others, but I don't know if they're Temporal, Iconian, or if he has something else not in those sets that is purple. They're AP, I know that! The torps in the Iconian and Temporal sets are decent, too. The Crystalline universal console from the Phoenix Packs is an easy console choice for AP.

I have 1 AP build. and 1 Polaron. Somehow I ended up with 3 plasma builds even though Plasma is only fun to me for the torps and I am more into cannons. Two of the plasma builds are pretty different from each other - the third I am in the process of replacing with something else... I'm leaning towards phasers at this point due to the Beyond the Nexus rewards, and, I think I have a mish saved with a really nice phaser weapons set to go with the BtN set. I don't like those slow torps in BtN, tho.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #561 on: September 16, 2017, 10:03:06 PM »
So... they had a 'flash sale' on bag space and I finally caved in and got 36 more slots. So luxurious..... Can get... 84 more slots? Total? I think?

Now there's a sale on ships. I've got the Zen if I sell off just a little Dil, but... I'm kinda not in ship mode, still. Plus, I already have that Phoenix token waiting for me that I plan to cash in for a new cruiser or any other T6 in the list, depending on how things look. And there's that Fleet T6 Warbird to try out..

Shiny brand new t6 ships just never makes it to the top of the list of things to get.... unbelievable. I always thought I'd be farming for ships most of the time in STO.

Now that I finally have all this luscious bag space for my main tradeskilling toon who never ever ever had enough and now is swimming in it... I think what I want next is either a retcon or another toon or both.

Meanwhile, gear upgrades are eating up Dil which could alternatively be used to buy Zen with which to buy shiny brand new t6 ships. That I'm not buying!

I guess what I'm saying, is.. I started out the game like TG.. "How do I get a t6? How do I get a t6?" but now ... I still farm, but, I'm just spending my resources on whatever looks good at the moment. Fleshing out toons and their main ship once I find a main ship for them. Buying bag space if they need it.. Not saving for the holy grail of lewts, the whole time. Like I thought I would be. Like it seems everyone starts out the game doing - "how do I get a t6?"

Zee t6, she will come. As will all else. j00 must only play zee game. I seem to remember laying down that advice awhile back and then someone picked it up and flew with it...!

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #562 on: September 19, 2017, 06:21:44 PM »
A new Specialization, and, it looks worthy..

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10644254

Miracle Worker is a Primary Specialization, but captains may instead choose to slot it as a Secondary if they only wish to benefit from the first 15 abilities offered.

Soooooo remember I was not able to figure out what happens when you make a Specialization a Secondary - in regards to what benefits are gained from a Secondary Specilization? I wonder if this is standard... That, whenever you make a Specialization a Secondary Spec, you only get the first 15 abilities from that Spec...

The exception would be Strategist, I guess, due to it is Secondary Only.

If true, that's good info to know. I've been clueless up to now about what is active when a Spec is made Secondary. I just knew.... 'not everything'.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #563 on: September 20, 2017, 04:12:32 AM »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #564 on: September 22, 2017, 06:08:33 PM »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #565 on: September 23, 2017, 10:13:45 PM »
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 10:31:21 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #566 on: September 25, 2017, 10:35:11 PM »
I stumbled across another T5-U lockbox ship for sale in the Exchange. They're pretty rare, so, seemed worth mentioning. It's on my KDF Rom but I think they're cross-faction.

Malon Battlercruiser

These ships have been retrofitted by the Lobi Consortium to be safe for use in populated systems and are now available to ship commanders in the Alpha and Beta quadrants.
Some Faves:

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #567 on: September 25, 2017, 10:37:33 PM »
Edited, because I'm not using a Malon Battlecruiser at all, I'm using a Nihydron Destroyer, and I don't know how I got those two confused.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:25:47 AM by Thunder Glove »

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #568 on: September 26, 2017, 03:26:00 PM »
I got a Wargames impulse engine for my Rom and I have to say.... yum.

I'm like 50 Rep away from the shield, which, doesn't look as impressive as others out there, but, it's probably better than what he's using now and I get another set bonus and it's a good one for this toon. I'll likely get the Singularity for the same reason.

I haven't had fun playing my Rom since... I leveled him. Gear really can make the difference. Superior Operative + Wargames Engine = crit joy. More maneuverability on my most maneuverable ship + tons more survivability for my paperiest ship would also be plusses.

The deflector aura unfortunately looks not so great enough that I turned it off. The Engine aura barely survived getting turned off. I've not seen the shield aura yet. At least there Are three auras.. Maybe they look better on a different ship.

On the subject of kitting out ships... Up to now I've overlooked a lot of Rep gear just due to who knew what the Set bonuses were without going to the Wiki.. And I don't like the wiki due to it creates a loud sucking sound within the Internet whenever I go there. Set Bonuses sure can be game changers, though, and I have some more Internet to play with, now, so..... hang on to your arm rests, I'm putting some Rep Gear info into a Reference or two that is faster and easier to check than the Wiki. I might just do Set Bonuses, just due to that's the only thing you can't look up In Game.

I know there's a plethora of lists on the wiki but I'm aiming to have a Quick Reference. or two. If I manage to come up with any I'll share.
Some Faves:

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #569 on: September 27, 2017, 07:32:20 PM »
Huh.  Just learned that the Fleet I'm in, the one I've been in for months, has set me to the second-lowest rank, which lets me... give them stuff, invite other people, and talk in chat... and that's it.   I tried to buy something with the 200k Fleet Credits I've accumulated over the months, and the game said "Nope, nope, can't buy stuff."  I need to get Rank 3 for that, and I don't know how.  (And chatting on the PS4 is awkward at best)

I've figured a lot of this game out, but, as usual, the parts I can't figure out are the ones that involve other people. >.<

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #570 on: September 28, 2017, 04:06:09 AM »
Some Faves:

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #571 on: September 28, 2017, 06:47:36 AM »
You might be missing part of that:

With the retirement of Reputation Projects for Weekend Events

Weekend Events won't use the Reputation System to make players turn in "merits" for completion rewards anymore.  Event Reputation (such as Risa Summer Event and Q Wonderland), as well as Faction Reputation (Borg, Species 8472, New Romulus, etc.) projects will continue as always.

First guess, weekend events would be more accessible to those under Level 50 by removing the Reputation system before they can really use it in the first place.  Second?  The Event Reputation area is really a lot of wasted UI Real Estate since only a few projects can be worked on at once in parallel, and the 2 reasons to have an ongoing rep project (Risa/Q) no longer allows event rep across years anymore. Eight slots is a bit much.

The second one's more of a nitpick than an actual hurdle.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #572 on: September 28, 2017, 07:43:16 PM »
The Event Reputation area is really a lot of wasted UI Real Estate

I believe STO has an unlimited amount of UI Real Estate and is ever expanding the infinite.

hehe

I dunno, that whole thing just didn't read real clearly to me last night.

Hey, we get a free shuttle and it's not too bad.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10645594

I must have at least a half a dozen different shuttles now between toons, and, this is the only one that I've seen that has 2 Boff slots.... but, it has 1/3rd less hull than the shuttlecraft that I normally use for Events.

It also has 2 slots for engineering consoles.... but 0 slots for science consoles.

Nice Admiralty ship!

Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #573 on: September 28, 2017, 09:34:45 PM »
You might be missing part of that:

Weekend Events won't use the Reputation System to make players turn in "merits" for completion rewards anymore.  Event Reputation (such as Risa Summer Event and Q Wonderland), as well as Faction Reputation (Borg, Species 8472, New Romulus, etc.) projects will continue as always.

First guess, weekend events would be more accessible to those under Level 50 by removing the Reputation system before they can really use it in the first place.  Second?  The Event Reputation area is really a lot of wasted UI Real Estate since only a few projects can be worked on at once in parallel, and the 2 reasons to have an ongoing rep project (Risa/Q) no longer allows event rep across years anymore. Eight slots is a bit much.

The second one's more of a nitpick than an actual hurdle.

Here's the deal.

Once again, STO is the lewt innovator.. What they've done is not only make weekend event lewt Account bound by default... they've made it so you can buy Any previous or present weekend event lewt you want and may have previously missed, with tokens, gained by running .... Weekend Events..

Or.. you can grab a quick and handy 2k in Dil. Not bad.

----------------------------------------------

Technically Speaking... the Weekend Event loot is Character bound, but, Any character on your Account can claim it by going to the Weekend Event store once purchased.

You can also only get 1 token per Day, per Account.. But, tokens are Account bound, so, even though you can't collect more than one a day - you can collect your 1 daily token with whatever toon you want.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 03:19:46 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #574 on: September 29, 2017, 06:04:10 PM »
I honestly do think that it's cool that STO obviously puts some considered thought into how to handle loot in a pleasant way. With the above (and it is just the latest example), I still have the incentive to run Weekend Events with my Alts, due to .. 2k dil. I have Weekend Event loot that is essentially Account Bound due to it sits in a Store waiting for Any of my toons to grab it - even toons I haven't made yet. Oh, and while I'm running the Event - I'm in a queue that pops instantly and pays off any marks I want - even marks that may normally be hard for me to get.

Oh, and while getting my Weekend Event loot and Marks.. an Endeavor paid off *cha-ching* due to I was healing my hull a lot... lol.

win-win-win

That's how I like to do things iRL.. Hopefully it continues to work out better, for them. /salute /cheer
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #575 on: October 02, 2017, 11:49:31 PM »
Some Faves:

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #576 on: October 03, 2017, 12:26:35 PM »
I thought I'd read that the new queue is supposed to give a choice of Fleet and Lukari marks.

I've just started collecting Lukari marks, and ... I never want to do Gravity Kills ever again.  They give you a half-hour timer, and it took us half of it just to destroy the first station (at which point, I thought "Oh, finally, that took forever", before realizing there were still two more stations to destroy, and then a boss who literally took no damage at all for several minutes).  The timer had long since run out before we actually finished the mission.  My ship blew up more times in that one mission than it had in all the weeks since I got that particular character his T6 ship (possibly more times than that character's ship had blown up, period).  It was the most frustrating experience I've ever had with the game.

I quite like The Tzenkethi Front, the other Lukari Mark Space queue, though.  Hopefully the new one will be more like the latter than the former.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #577 on: October 03, 2017, 05:56:28 PM »
It was the most frustrating experience I've ever had with the game.

This got an lol.. Yeah, when I first ran that queue I was like... w  t  f... Now, if I ever run it, I just blame myself...hehe. It does get better with practice, but, yeah, the other Tzenkethi queue is way better.

On thing that I like about the Tzenkethi storyline and makes me glad to see more of it, is: They got a RL Klingon to do narrations. You know what I just found out? I thought that was Sho'nuff! The shogun of Harlem.. That's not Sho'nuff?? I'll be.. It must be way too long since I saw that movie. I really thought that was Sho'nuff narrating the Tzenkethi queues.. Well, I still think he's RL Klingon...

Looking forward to trying the new queue!

Here's the Starship Trait for Miracle worker, btw...:

The Specialization itself looks tempting to try. My Rom has at least 5 or 6 Spec points saved up (I was waiting for Miracle Worker in case it was cool), and, as it works out, Miracle Worker looks like it might be a good fit for him so I'll probably be trying it. The passive is Hull Regen, btw. It starts at 5% and scales up as you put points into MW.

2 gig update! ouch.
Some Faves:

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #578 on: October 03, 2017, 08:18:26 PM »
Last week I decided to comeback after a year off. I like that they added more VO in the mission briefs as well as the reports.
I am disappointed that there isn't another recruitment drive this year. I do understand why they did add one. The last drive was a hot mess.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #579 on: October 04, 2017, 01:50:44 AM »
Last week I decided to comeback after a year off. I like that they added more VO in the mission briefs as well as the reports.
I am disappointed that there isn't another recruitment drive this year. I do understand why they did add one. The last drive was a hot mess.
Just as this Phoenix has returned, the Phoenix Prize Packs have returned http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10671264-the-phoenix-prize-pack-returns%21
One day the Phoenix will rise again.