Author Topic: Star Trek Online  (Read 273706 times)

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
Re: Star Trek Online
« Reply #600 on: October 24, 2017, 06:20:31 PM »
Yes, I do.

There are Rom T5's on the Exchange??

Well, duh.. Just because I'm KDF doesn't mean that I can use KLINK ships, now does it.. All I Was looking for was 'KDF' when I went Admiralty ship shopping. I didn't even see any Rom ships.. hmmm.. I'll have to look again.

BTW....

Those prices you quoted are all whack. I wouldn't pay more than... maybe 5 million EC for an Admiralty ship, or, a T5 that I want to fly as far as that goes.. T5's and T5u's (all 2 of them) are going for ~ 3 million or less on PC. A little more...., sometimes. For 600 million I'd be looking at T6's! Or nothing at all..

oi!

No, they're 600k, as in thousand, not 600 million.  That would be ridiculous.  (There are ships at that price, but I don't think they're priced to sell)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #601 on: October 24, 2017, 11:59:25 PM »
No, they're 600k, as in thousand, not 600 million.  That would be ridiculous.  (There are ships at that price, but I don't think they're priced to sell)

LOL!

umm..

wow.

*600k* is ridiculous!

K??

That's nothing..

I donate that, in Doffs (that I buy in the Exchange), to Fleets, all the time... just to do it. To make the little Project timer kick off on stuff that I have no idea what it is - for fleet Marks I don't need.

600k.... wow. For 'over a million' and less, I just *might* T5 shop for a ship to actually fly. For a few levels.

Hey, what do you guys think of dogfight/strafing-run-Pedal-to-The-Metal tactics?

I have that Iconian Singularity in my Warbird that gives hps and shield at full throttle, too. And, a Wargames engine + fast recharge heals. Having a build fairly reliant on Torps (that recharge as I turn around..) for dps also seems helpful for this kind of fighting.

Started trying this, just for kicks, in Dranuur runs. It's a 40% damage bonus with Pedal to the Metal when maxed and I keep it maxed.. I didn't get the numbers for the shield and hull heal from the Iconian Singularity but they are significant. I also can run out of range of even mobs of mobs with my Wargames engine + possibly a panic button or two, fairly easily.. most times.

What I do is pretty simple. I pick the biggest target I can find (usually) and then I strafe it to death. I buzz back and forth, in and out of the mob's range, and... the mobs not only manage to go down in a reasonable amount of time (I know I'm not solo!), but, even on Juggernauts/Dreadnaughts/Etcnaughts, I'm getting a plethora of (presumably) DPS agro.. I usually have enough agro to stay in the mobs target whether I'm in it's range or not.

*beeeeyowwwwwwnnnnn* *beeeeyowwwwwwnnnnn*

I just buzz back and forth until they explode.. lol. Its kinda fun! There must be a biggilion things in-game that give a bonus for going Full Throttle. I have to do some parses and see if I'm actually doing any damage.. ha.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 12:04:43 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #602 on: October 26, 2017, 09:55:48 PM »
A new Specialization, and, it looks worthy..

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10644254
Miracle Worker is a Primary Specialization, but captains may instead choose to slot it as a Secondary if they only wish to benefit from the first 15 abilities offered.

Soooooo remember I was not able to figure out what happens when you make a Specialization a Secondary - in regards to what benefits are gained from a Secondary Specilization? I wonder if this is standard... That, whenever you make a Specialization a Secondary Spec, you only get the first 15 abilities from that Spec...

The exception would be Strategist, I guess, due to it is Secondary Only.

If true, that's good info to know. I've been clueless up to now about what is active when a Spec is made Secondary. I just knew.... 'not everything'.

I still don't get how this works, exactly. Because.. I don't know what this means, exactly:
the first 15 abilities offered.

Is that counting the 5 Tier 1 Ground Abilities? If I have them? Or even if I don't? Is that why Strategist is good/unique, because not only is it Secondary only, but, every single Ability (all 15...) is a Space ability?

If 'the first 15 abilities offered' means... what it says... then... I don't get Tier 3 Miracle Worker Abilities, if, I have Miracle Worker as my Secondary Specialization. Due to there are 5 Tier 1 Ground and Space Abilities in 'the first 15 abilities offered.' So if they're counting all 10 Tier 1 Abilities - Ground And Space, and, the 5 Tier 2 Space/ground Abilities. That's 15. Which means I get no Tier 3 Abilities.

If 'the first 15 abilities offered' means... the first 15 Abilities in the Mode I Presently Am In (Space or Ground), or, if it means The First 15 Abilities I *Chose* (and I chose No Tier 1 Ground Abilities) - then, I do get to use Tier 3 Miracle Worker Space Abilities.

So what does it mean? What 15 Abilities do I actually get to use when a Specialization is set to Secondary?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Btw...

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10691254-20%25-services-sale%21

Forgot to mention that I finally grabbed 4 more slots! And a few thousand more bag slots for my main/main tradeskiller. Or so. Yay  : )
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 10:41:55 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #603 on: October 27, 2017, 11:46:19 PM »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #604 on: October 29, 2017, 11:18:11 PM »
Because I know everyone is on the edge of their seat about how Primary and Secondary Specializations really work, I shall share my latest tidbit of info that I have gleamed through in-game testing with Miracle Worker on a toon that has no Tier 1 Ground Skills chosen and has chosen all Space Skills up to and including those in Tier 3.

Basically, what they could have said instead of 'you get to use the first 15 Skills (I chose? within Space and/or Ground? or what?) when you designate a Specialization as a Secondary Specialization', is, 'When a Specialization is designated as Secondary - all skills you've selected up to and including those in Tier II are available'.

The first 15 selections. And only those that you have earned/selected that are in that first 15 (of course).

So, those Optional 5 Ground or Space skills that are in Tier I count towards 'the first 15 Skills' whether you want/selected them, or not. I could not use any Tier III Miracle Worker Skills, even though I had no Tier I Ground skills chosen and had earned all Tier III skills - when I had Miracle Worker designated as my Secondary Specialization. It was easy to test with 'Simplified Plumbing' - the first Skill Choice in Tier III.

This was probably confusing to no one but me - but, there ya go anyway.

Now what I wonder, is, if we get the *Innate* Skill for BOTH Specializations, or, just the primary...

Hang on to your seats, more info to come...!

(If you don't know this info already and are into tweaking your builds, it actually can be very useful.)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 11:25:22 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #605 on: October 31, 2017, 04:27:47 PM »
PS4 finally got Hearts and Minds!

... and I'm surprised at how un-creepy it was.  I found both "What Lies Beneath" and "Mindscape" to be far creepier.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #606 on: October 31, 2017, 09:29:57 PM »
PS4 finally got Hearts and Minds!

... and I'm surprised at how un-creepy it was.  I found both "What Lies Beneath" and "Mindscape" to be far creepier.

Is that the one where you need a flashlight...?

I really need to get a newb rolled up while they are making all these Featured Stories... They give endgamish gear that's available at level 10 and upgrades to mk xii for free.
Some Faves:

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #607 on: November 01, 2017, 12:39:48 AM »
Is that the one where you need a flashlight...?

I really need to get a newb rolled up while they are making all these Featured Stories... They give endgamish gear that's available at level 10 and upgrades to mk xii for free.
What lies below you need the flash light. Mind scape is the one with Tuvak
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #608 on: November 01, 2017, 01:47:19 AM »
Yeah, What Lies Beneath is part of the Spectres arc, where you go deep into the bowels of Drozana Station in the dark and deal with a ghostmalfunctioning hologram.  Mindscape is part of the Delta Rising arc, where you have to mind-meld with Tuvok to chase an Undine intruder through a weirdly distorted and uncanny version of Voyager that represents Tuvok's mind.

Hearts and Minds... well, it's atmospheric, yeah, with the at-first-abandoned station and the weird medical logs, but it ends before it has a chance to get to "creepy".

Reminds me of the PS4 game Asemblance in that respect.  That was an atmospheric and weird game that ended just as I thought it was going to kick into high gear, which is exactly how I felt about this mission.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #609 on: November 01, 2017, 07:51:47 PM »
What lies below you need the flash light. Mind scape is the one with Tuvak

The flashlight one is the first STO mish I can remember running. And quitting. Crawling around, lost, in caves/tunnels with a torch/flashlight was pretty darn cool the first time I played.... King's Quest. And now it just annoys the crap out of me. I wanna pew-pew! Or tradeskill. Or play the market. Or... anything but crawl around lost.

You guys are Mish aficionados (ty spellchecker)!

That's cool. I'm not into mishes, in general, nearly as much as I used to be. Sometimes. House Pegh was pretty awesome. There are some good mish rewards, too.

Some Faves:

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #610 on: November 01, 2017, 08:29:17 PM »
The flashlight one is the first STO mish I can remember running. And quitting. Crawling around, lost, in caves/tunnels with a torch/flashlight was pretty darn cool the first time I played.... King's Quest. And now it just annoys the crap out of me. I wanna pew-pew! Or tradeskill. Or play the market. Or... anything but crawl around lost.

You guys are Mish aficionados (ty spellchecker)!

That's cool. I'm not into mishes, in general, nearly as much as I used to be. Sometimes. House Pegh was pretty awesome. There are some good mish rewards, too.
When I made my most recent character to run it the flashlight bugged out on me half way through. Which left me bumping into every corner of the mission :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #611 on: November 02, 2017, 05:20:55 PM »
When I made my most recent character to run it the flashlight bugged out on me half way through. Which left me bumping into every corner of the mission :)

See! This, too. If there is a way to make a mish bug.. I'll find it without trying.

I'm all for mishing and still enjoy it sometimes. Used to enjoy it more, but, in recent years I mostly get Rat In A Maze syndrome when running them. Now I'm more into stuff like we had with Incarnates in CoH, and, running queue's/tinkering with builds and then running some more queue's.

If they'd (developers) put more stuff in queue's, I'd run it. They were starting to do that in CoH. Adding more and more stuff we could queue up for to get into a team.

(I tried to ninja edit extraneous data but failed...)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 05:27:25 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #612 on: November 02, 2017, 05:25:03 PM »
I use missions a lot to level up (since I run multiple characters), especially now that they fixed the 50-60 slog.  The later missions also give very nice gear, for both ship and character (I guess until you start getting Reputation Set gear).

I've probably done What Lies Beneath way too many times, since it's such an early story arc.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #613 on: November 03, 2017, 01:48:07 PM »
The later missions also give very nice gear, for both ship and character (I guess until you start getting Reputation Set gear).

Some mish gear works good with Rep gear, too. My main (who has slogged though most mishes) has mish/fleet/rep gear. There's some nice endgame type mish gear/stuff.

As far as that goes I don't know if any gear type is superior to another. Rep gear's starting point is Endgame, is the main thing that makes it easier to pick through when endgame shopping. (Lower level mishes don't generally give endgame type rewards). Fleet gear can be really good, too. One nice thing about Fleet gear is they typically will pack a lot into a single piece of gear in lieu of the gear having Set Bonuses. So, for example, if your gear has a hole in it that can't be satisfactorily filled with a Mish/Rep set piece... a single Fleet piece can be good due to it is generally powerful all on it's own and can even have innate abilities to make up for the lack of Set Bonuses (Fleet Shields, for example).
Some Faves:

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #614 on: November 03, 2017, 10:45:44 PM »
Well, the console is having the Phoenix Event again, so I traded in all the Dil I'd been saving for Zen (since the price crashed), and got my Romulan a T6 Warbird at last.  I combined her glass cannon playstyle with my own love of Carriers and got a Jhu'ael Tactical Carrier Warbird.  Only slightly better stats than my T5-U Nihydron Destroyer, but it's nice to be flying a Warbird again, with all the Singularity powers and the Battle Cloak, and the Hangar pets are a nice addition on top of that.  Mmmm, new ship smell.

I still have 1500 Zen left over.  I'll probably just hang onto it until I see another ship that catches my eye.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #615 on: November 04, 2017, 12:57:19 PM »
It sounds like we're in (were in) sorta similar situations. I just rolled up a Rom/Fed that doesn't fly Warbirds. I created him purely for the ability to have Rom Boffs/SRO and fly a Cruiser.

I only have two problems with him so far at lvl 15ish.. My only other Rom is named T'hee... I'm kinda wishing I woulda went with T'nee, for the new guy now.. lol.. (2 Rom Bros fighting on opposite sides..) I know, it's dumb.  He ended up as T'pwn, (think: T-Bone) instead.. I know, it's kinda dumb... hehe.. I also am kinda wishing I wouldn't have put two Skill points into Torps damage already, too.. I think I might want to try all Beams and Broadsides with this toon. All his purple/crafted gear is Bind to Account... so... at least I won't have to re-gear the new toon if I re-roll.

However it works out I'm looking forward to finally flying a Cruiser to 60, and, finally flying a T6 Cruiser.

Grats on your Score! Glad you had funds to take advantage of this round of PPP's  : )
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #616 on: November 04, 2017, 11:49:44 PM »
Sooooo, since I really only went Rom for SRO I figured, hey, why not go Reman? Those guys look pretty spacey/less normal/more fantasyish. So I rolled one up.

Smial'e:

I've learned some things, already. First thing I learned is that this toon has really, really, really expensive Boffs. There are only < 30 on the Exchange to begin with.. So feel lucky that they start at a measly > 2 million EC. (On PC...) And there's 2 million+ EC Reman Boffs that don't even have the Space Trait you want...

They DO have an nice Space Trait..

I'm a Defense fan, so, I might look into Remans again.. Someday. For now, Smial'e is going onto the shelf with T'Pwn, and I'm making T'nee, my non-torps crit-monkey Cruiser pilot. Who I suspect will be as short as I can make him....  : D

That reminds me. The costume creator in STO is not all that bad, really.. You can for sure make a fairly unique toon.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #617 on: November 05, 2017, 06:45:00 PM »
Ultimates...

We get 46 skill points to put into 3 categories - eng/sci/tac - and if we want an Ultimate, we have to put at least 24 points into one of those categories - 27 points, to have a maxxed Ultimate. If you manage to put 24 points into something, you'll likely be tempted to go ahead and put in a few more just to get the thing maxxed that you were going for, to begin with..

That leaves 19 measly skill points to put into 2 categories. Well, and, do you really want 27 or even 24 points in any single category? Or do you end up picking stuff that you hope is better than useless just to get those 24 - 27 points? Meanwhile, there's all kinds of tempting choices left in the other categories.

But are they tempting enough to give up your Ultimate...?

Most (all? except Drain Infection? maybe another exception or two?) Skill choices can be compensated for with gear. There's not gear that can give you your Ultimate, though...

The Ultimates are good, too. The sci one is about as good as Miraculous Repairs + Beam: Overload... The Tac one is not only good but can buff the entire team as if they just fired off *their* Ultimate.

And then there's the Eng Ultimate. It doesn't seem as good as the others, to me, but, having to spend at least 24 points in Eng is probably less painful than having to spend it in any other single category. And, having an Ultimate is better than not having one.

Or is it?

*sigh*

New builds..

I still say 24 - 27 out of 46 skill points to get an Ultimate is too much. There's just not enough leftover points for the other categories, plus, who can find 24 - 27 points of usefulness in each category? How many points do you put in before you just start 'picking anything' that looks better than useless. Meanwhile there's all kinds of goodness you're passing up in the other categories so you can have your OP Ultimate.

That's how it works for me anyway, ha  : )

The easiest to pick Ultimate, for me, is the Sci one for a Sci ship captain. It's a lot easier to find the 24 - 27 useful skill points in Sci when you're a Sci ship captain, and, the Ultimate is sweet.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #618 on: November 06, 2017, 11:08:00 PM »
I ran into some more possibly interesting info tidbits in my quest to roll up a new newb so I thought I'd share... I'd say these are observations of an Intermediate builder.. due to I didn't have them when I was a newb, and, I still have a lot of questions that I don't know the answers to.

First, Roms are going from my Least favorite choice to my Favorite choice. One reason is that they have Racially Restricted Boffs with a very useful Space Trait.

It also must be a Fed Rom, due to, that way it can fly the most ships in the game - tied with Klingons and the races that can fly Klingon ships. Fed Roms and Klingons can fly all Fed ships PLUS their own Racially Restricted ships..

So, for example, not only can a Fed Rom fly all Warbirds, it can fly all Fed/Starfleet ships, too - whereas a KDF Rom can only fly KDF Warbirds - which is a way smaller selection of ships.

Reman Feds are my second choice due to they offer a useful Space Trait of their own, and, I can also use Rom Boffs... Those Reman Boffs are expensive, and, I'd only want to go Reman if I was going to take advantage of their Space Trait/Boffs which I currently don't. So they are currently my #2 choice.

Human Feds would be tied for #2 due to they have a useful Space Trait and are Starfleet. Being Starfleet gives you fairly active queues that can be nice as a newb, and, as a Fed (can they even be anything else?) I can fly more ships. Humans of course have no special Racial ships - they just get to fly whatever ships their allegiance is with, Fed or KDF - this is assuming you can even join KDF as a Human..

Klingon Feds would be next due to they can not only fly Fed ships.. as with Roms/Remans, they can fly the ships of their race, too. (I am assuming.. I don't know this first-hand. But I do know that Rom/Reman Feds can fly both Rom and Fed ships, so.... it seems like a safe assumption). Klingons don't have anything useful for me in Space as far as Traits, go, though... so... actually.... I might go Alien (from the Klingon character creation screen choices).. just so I can fly Klink ships and Fed ships, plus, I get an extra Personal Space and Ground Trait choice.. Or maybe Gorn.. They have to be good Ground toons.. Plus, they're Gorn!

I'm sticking with Fed due to all my toons can share all Fed rewards. Fed has the most ships and the most shareable ships. We just had that Fed-only shuttle giveaway.. Fed even gets better newb PVEs (Federation Fleet Alert). STO is pretty Fed Focused. KDF is kinda The Red Headed Stepchild. Besides maybe being able to better RP being a Bad Guy.. I dunno what being KDF does for you. You can't even turn in Contraband...!

Now.. having said all that about KDF, I have to say that the toon I play the most of lately, by far, is KDF... Due to my KDF Fleet needs a lot more help with Provisioning the new Colony Fleet Holding than my Fed fleets do. And I like scoring high on Leaderboards  : D

Oh, and, I have to announce that T6.5 ships have (fairly recently..) arrived. The new Miracle Worker ships... Not only do they have an extra console Slot (12), but, for the first time, we see a Universal console slot. They also have 60k (in my shopping window) hps.. As compared to, what? 57k? Tops? from earlier ships? I saw a lot of tanks with ~ 53k. 53k...57...now 60? 10..11..and now 12 consoles?

I mean come on, there are tons of TEN console ships and 10 console/53kish hp tanks still for sale as a T6.. 12 consoles? A Universal console slot? 60k hps? That's a T6.5...

I just happen to be in the market for Tanks, too.

My new Rom Warbird is going to be a Miracle Worker, baby...

Also.. It seems at least slightly useful to pick out your T6 the same time as you're planning your new build to get a better idea of what stats need boosting more than others due to what that ship's particular console layout is. I mean, for example, if you never flew an Escort before you might be shocked to find out the ship you gotta have has 5 Tac consoles but only 2 Eng. It might make a difference in what you choose from the Skill selection screen. Or maybe the T6 has a Console or Starship Trait you want to take advantage of via Skills.. I already know what ship I want to fly with my level 10 toons, so, picking out a T6 and a couple of alternates wasn't too hard. Just a thought, to try and avoid console/trait-shock later on when you 'wished you woulda known sooner'.

Anyway... some additional thoughts from me as an Intermediate Builder, to you. May they be useful and bear fruit. And be mostly accurate! : D

It's not about making an 'optimal' toon and all the 'right' choices.. But, it's always good to know more. I'm currently in crit-monkey tank build mode, and, haven't tried that many ships. Your perspective will vary. Awhile back when I was rolling up a new toon all I wanted was to be blue and have antennae come out of my forehead  : ) That guy is in Lukari set and Iconian set and Fleet MK XIV gear now and I've played him as much as any of the others I got to 60. The above is my latest attempt at some min/max, and, build-regret-control..

Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #619 on: November 06, 2017, 11:17:03 PM »
If you're into planning...and don't already have it.. this planner can be useful: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com

I use the Skill Points planning part.
Some Faves: